[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Satoshi Kon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: satoshi-kon.jpg (163 KB, 630x422) Image search: [Google]
satoshi-kon.jpg
163 KB, 630x422
Let's talk Kon.

Why do his films have a "western" feel to them, /a/?

Also what's your favorite movie of his?
>>
They're all trash.
>>>/tv/
>>
i only watched paprika but it was pretty underwhelming
>>
Because idiots don't limit themselves. All the forerunners did the same. Perfect Blue.
>>
>>134406208
>perfect blue
Millennium Actress was better but good taste nonetheless.
>>
Millennium Actress is his magnum opus.
>>
>>134405247
Reminder that this is objectively true:

MA > Perfect Blue > Tokyo Godfathers > Paprika
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 589x403) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 589x403
I just finished Perfect Blue, and I feel very dazed. Jesus. That ending threw me off, not in a good way either.

And I can't help but think that this guy is behind every /a/ moeshit poster
>>
>>134406609
I wish I had his autismal passion.
>>
>>134406609
The whole movie threw me off. It did the blurring reality thing even better than Paprika.
>>
>>134406722
Paprika's reality bending felt like it was an excuse to animate a lot of creative stuff, but Perfect Blue used it for fantastic storytelling. Paranoia Agent was great for blurring the lines between reality too.
>>
>>134406722
What do you think even happened?
>>
overrated piece of shit, glad he's dead
>>
Literally who?
>>
>>134406797
It all made sense at the end when you find out it was Rumi who's crazy but it's a mindfuck up till then. Watching it twice isn't the same experience.
>>
>>134406939
I kept thinking that but it didn't make any sense. Whatever.
>>
The "western" feel comes from him actually knowing cinematography, which is rare among japs
>>
>>134408311
Japan has some of the best cinema in the world. Only France and America are in the same league.
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 202x126) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 202x126
>>134408997
What are good examples of Japanese cinematography then?
>>
>>134408997
list something that isn't made in the showa era you piece of work
>>
>>134409231
Akira Kurosawa anything
>>
>>134406939
You forget the fact that that Mima spoke her last line with Rumi's voice.
>>
>>134405247
Because he was pandering to the west,duh. I don't like his movies.
>>
>>134409359
This.

Also, like >>134408311 says, Satoshi Kon's cinematography is amazing. He's one of the best I've ever seen. Cutting on movement, forms, he really knew how to make it visually interesting.
>>
>>134409384
>I dont understand it, therefore I hate it!

Wait a second, you're american, arent you?

Also, Satshi's movies doesnt really have a "western" feel to them for me. "Western" most usually means american, and America can't make movies for shit. Shallow stories, shallow characters, cheap camera-pans for no reason, no actually, all the camerawork makes no sense. His movies are so non-western as they come. The only thing they have in common is how high the quality on them are, since no matter how much I hate hollywood films, it's the most polished turds you can come across.
>>
>>134409535
you being serious?

Kon is my favourite anime director. Perfect Blue is my favourite of his and my favourite anime movie overall.
>>
>>134405247
Who?
>>
http://www.makikoitoh.com/journal/satoshi-kons-last-words

Every time
>>
>>134406063
Paprika is his worst movie, in my opinion.

Millenium Actress > Perfect Blue > Paranoia Agent > Tokyo Godfathers >>> Paprika
>>
>>134405247
>Why do his films have a "western" feel to them, /a/?
More like western movies have a Kon feel to them
>>
>>134405247
Perfect Blue
>>
>>134405247
Watching Tokyo Godfather has been my Christmas tradition for some time. I think it is Kon's best, with Perfect Blue a good second.
>>
>KON: When I watch (English language) movies I like to watch them with Japanese subtitles. That’s because even though I don’t understand English, the nuances in the actor’s voice can convey what’s going on. To watch a dubbed movie is in my opinion ruins the original movie. So I am extremely happy that my film has been screened in its original form with subtitles.
>dubfags getting BTFO
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.