[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about this? I just finished reading it and I was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9
File: odetokirihito.jpg (31 KB, 366x500) Image search: [Google]
odetokirihito.jpg
31 KB, 366x500
Can we talk about this?

I just finished reading it and I was very impressed. Before this, I had dismissed Tezuka as being childish and generally primitive; I saw him as important to the history of the medium but not actually as a great author himself. But this was very adult, and really demonstrated an understanding of both medicine and--surprisingly--Christianity. I really enjoyed it, and found myself very invested in the fates of the characters, who are for the most part interesting and complicated human beings.

Does Tezuka have other works like this? Have I been unjustified in avoiding him?
>>
>Does Tezuka have other works like this?

Yeah and you should check whatever you can by Tezuka.
>>
>>134097479

Any suggestions? I've picked up MW and Lost World at a local used bookstore.
>>
>>134096551
Yeah, I'm not a fan desu.

Tezuka was awesome because he opened people's minds about what should be allowed ( in fact by simply publishing him which was only because he was in fact popular ). I haven't read enough, but I find most of his work lackluster. Also, he was the first largely published furry artist, which has to be a knock against.

Phoenix was prett-gud though, would recommend to anyone especially preteens to keep them away from garbage like Hunger Games...

Big X i've heard was good from /a/

Buddha is a classic but really only for the perspective - books have probably done it better.

Never forget he was the biggest inspiration of Manga in general and Astroboy was literally the wind beneath the wings of national anime funding.
>>
A lot of the really old manga is quite good if you're only used to modern stuff. They came before the cliches that became the building blocks of manga, so a lot of that stuff is surprisingly fresh.
>>
File: GR5.png (251 KB, 1003x1483) Image search: [Google]
GR5.png
251 KB, 1003x1483
>>134097875
I wouldn't say fresh, if anything it's the opposite, I do gotta give it to older manga for being so fucking brutal and gnarly.
>>
File: dissmissiverappingman.png (444 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
dissmissiverappingman.png
444 KB, 800x600
>>134096551
>Before this, I had dismissed Tezuka as being childish and generally primitive
>>
>>134097875

That's definitely how I feel about this work. I really think it stands above a lot of what I've read of more recent stuff, even the stuff I really liked
>>
>>134098286

Yeah, I'm realizing I was retarded in that regard, and I'm looking to make up for it
>>
File: Black_Jack_v01_c02_p030.png (41 KB, 312x340) Image search: [Google]
Black_Jack_v01_c02_p030.png
41 KB, 312x340
>>134098393
Did you not read anything by Tezuka and went 'well he's old and his art looks childish so he's probably just a big goober'

To be completely honest while shaking my head family, his more cerebral works like Ode to Kirihito and MW are probably the most childish of all his works because it is an attempt to be edgy like the boys of the gekiga movement in the 60s but without any of the heart because they're detached from his personal experiences and life. They're mostly just very dark stories that he thought would relate to the manga demographics at the time because the gekiga stories at the time about topics like thinking about fucking a dog because you're so lonely were also dark
>>
>>134098762
>black jack
I mean you almost had an argument there.
>>
>>134098941
What is it that you are trying to say family, Black Jack isn't particularly dark or dreary as a constant. Some stories are but most aren't and Black Jack's sidekick is a cancer placed into an artificial body he made. There's a degree of self awareness
>>
>>134099152
>episodic waff/edge driven wankfest
The meta context is the only decent thing about the series - its crap, sorry.

If you had backed me up on Phoenix, or at least gone for a safe staple like Astroboy I could have supported your contrast of childish ( chunnibyou vs art/context childish ), but you just sound like you are a (¿recent?) edge-contrarian. ie you used to like edge and now hate it

I know we both agree medaka and Akame are shit because they rely on edge-filled plot points. OnK is nothing like that, its more like the plot forced the perspective and allows for the development of more morally objectionable characters...

Again just my angry opinion.
>>
I've only read black Jack so far. The chapters ranged from brilliant to completely fucking retarded.
>>
>>134099152
haven't watched/read jumping will do it
>>
>>134099593
That was the dankest Tezuka face I had without using screens from his short film collection
>>
>>134099728
2dank
you should send it to hox for his faces quiz - it really doesn't resemble tezuka's style very well
>>
File: alabaster01_264.png (47 KB, 238x283) Image search: [Google]
alabaster01_264.png
47 KB, 238x283
>>134099967
Disagree, the eye gives it away as 70s Tezuka
>>
>>134098762

I started reading some stuff. I was subconsciously aware of Astro Boy, like everyone, and after enjoying Pluto I picked up Lost World for a couple of bucks when I saw it at a local shop and was thoroughly disappointed. I didn't read all of it, but what I did read was straight up cartoonish and even incoherent at times. Maybe it gets better later in, but I dropped it quick and assumed that was what his work was like.
>>
>>134096551

>Read online reviews

>Every negative review is negative because they thought it was sexist

Except the one guy who just thought there were too many rapes
>>
The only reason I never finished Phoenix is because the chapters are like 200 pages long so reading them online is a pain the ass when you want to take a break, really gotta download it because it was great. And yes, I'm aware that this is a retarded reason to put a manga on hold.
>>
>>134100859
>there were too many rapes
Really !?
Damm ,Tezuka!
>>
>>134102614

There are legitimately like four rapes in it, and one more alluded to.

I think that's about half what MW has for rape quota though
>>
File: lafemmeinsecte.jpg (33 KB, 454x640) Image search: [Google]
lafemmeinsecte.jpg
33 KB, 454x640
>>134096551
>I had dismissed Tezuka as being childish and generally primitive
Tezuka stuff, even his kids stuff, is pretty adult. It's also insane, conspiratorial and full of 60's pop psychology.
He was also hugely prolific, and never learned how to properly end a story

>Have I been unjustified in avoiding him?
Very much so, everything in modern Japanese media owes a debt to him in one way or another.
>>
>>134096551
How many Tezuka manga are available in english?
>>
>>134096551
Wasn't Metropolis made by Tezuka? I mean the manga.
>>
>>134105404
yes wiki, >>134103156
wiki + nyaa
>>134102977
>owes
yes, and insane yes
>>134102614
yes
>>
>>134098762
Long time no see.
>>
Overrated old furry pedophile.
>>
I thought Ode to Kirihito was one of his least interesting works. A character story mostly, where the plot isn't so relevant. I'd easily put it well behind Buddha for instance. His short works are easily some of his best as well, like Kuuki no Soko and The Crater.

>>134098762
Mostly agreed. MW and Ode to Kirihito are my least favourite in that they're really tryhard gekiga (and effectively failing).

>>134102977
Book on Human Insects is probably my favourite muse/femme fatale series from him.
>>
I might be the minority when I say I actually enjoyed Ode to Kirihito a lot and rate it one of his better works.

I happen to be a doctor and it was very interesting to see medical hiearchy a dominant aspect even 30 years on in western medicine
>>
>>134107280
>I might be the minority when I say I actually enjoyed Ode to Kirihito a lot and rate it one of his better works.

I don't really think that's an unpopular opinion, at least among people that've actually read Tezuka's stuff, if even just the stuff that has English translations.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.