[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hunter x Hunter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 88
File: 237849.jpg (97 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
237849.jpg
97 KB, 1280x720
Alright, /a/. I don't get it. The 2011 adaptation of Hunter x Hunter is revered by many as extraordinary; a monument of it's medium, and a masterpiece of it's genre. Prior to watching, I had no idea it even boasted such a lofty reputation. I hold a great affection for Yu Yu Hakusho, and so I only gave Hunter a chance by it's author's label. After seeing it through to the end (ayy), I'm absolutely baffled by the overwhelmingly positive reception it's received. I honestly can't fathom that the man who wrote such a prolific shounen manga managed to fumble so badly with his sophomore series.

This show is so rife with missteps, I don't even know where to begin. It's plot is serviceable, and sometimes intriguing, but the staples holding it together are so bent out of shape, the whole thing falls apart. It's characters range from subpar to insufferable, and that's when they're lucky enough to even be written into the narrative. Gon is a somewhat interesting protagonist, but I wish I could say the same for all his friends. Killua is an angsty cliché with legs, and his backstory sounds like it was pasted from a tweenage RP forum. For a boy raised by a family of killer assassins who was bred never to trust or have friends, he sure has an easy time befriending Gon in the literal first 20 seconds that they meet. Kurapika takes the angst up even higher, but thankfully he and Leorio simply stop existing in the story's plot halfway through the series.

What happened to the chemistry? The development of Yu Yu Hakusho's characters is almost unparalleled, with all four protagonists growing and changing together over a long course of time. Yusuke is an almost entirely separate person at the end of the series. The four heroes of Hunter x Hunter become best chums almost immediately, and most of them are nearly identical in their final appearances to their introductions. It's incredibly disheartening, but not nearly as painful as Hunter's storytelling.
>>
At one point, Kurapika reveals that he has the ability to access all five categories of Nen and use them to his full capacity at will. He also has an ability that allows him to capture and defeat any Spider with absolutely no effort whatsoever. He gains these powers immediately after learning to use Nen. In another scene, Killua inconceivably obtains an enormous power boost by removing a pin from his forehead, which was never mentioned prior. In an episode hailed as legendary, Gon gets angry and powers up to defeat an extremely powerful enemy, again with no effort whatsoever. This would be the show's most anticlimactic apex, if it weren't for another string of scenes in which the arc's primary antagonists all die from radiation poisoning off-screen. Except for the King, of course, who decides to stop being a bad guy altogether. I could go on for hours, especially regarding the atrocious asspulling of the final arc, but you get the idea. These are just a few of Hunter's horrendously written plot points, and they take a metal bat to the narrative's knees.

I could sit here for the rest of my weekend trying desperately to understand why this series is regarded as a beacon of greatness in the industry, but I feel I'm getting no closer to clarity. Why, /a/? What am I missing? What makes this series so spectacular?
>>
>>134091839
>Gon gets angry and defeats an enemy

I thought you said you liked YYH
>>
>>134091832
welcome to 4chan, where everything you like is shit yet there are things that "everyone" likes
>>
>implying that YYH after the dark tournament isn't just Togashi experiencing ideas that later became hxh
>>
>>134091839
>What makes this series so spectacular?
It was competing against Naruto, Bleach and Fairy Tail.

AKA the standards are so fucking low that this is the best shonen being currently published whenever Togashi feels like drawing something.
>>
>>134091839
>What am I missing?
Logic, consistency, arguments that make sense?
>>
>>134091986
Yu Yu Hakusho has it's share of awful asspulls, I'll never argue that, but at least when Yusuke got angry and slapped the shit out of Sensui with a stupid power boost, it was after Sensui flexed his power and made Yusuke his punching bag. Pitou's strength was hyped up since the beginning of Chimera Ants, and not once did we ever get to see it. Seeing Gon pummel the hell out of an enemy who was implied to be ridiculously strong is a fucking disaster of storytelling. It's actually disgusting.
>>
Hunter x Hunter is a poor man's Dragon Ball.

Gon's character development literally ripped off Goku's.
>>
>>134091832
Gonna play devil's advocate here.
Its possible that its all sort of satire, a jab at shounen.
Killia's an edgelord in background, but he becomes #1 bro. Gon goes through shounen powerup but its supposed to be tragic and somewhat bittersweet, he's effectively trying to commit suicide. Kurapika and Leorio are both chucked out of the story forever despite their popularity. The fact that the big bads are defeated by a nuke hilariously shits on powerlevels.

Its basically Togashi's big "fuck you" to shounen jump. Even his hiatus is a big "fuck you" to, well everyone at this point.
>>
>>134091986
this

Literally 80% of all shounen action anime follows this pattern

>prot either optimistic/pessimistic about fighting
>fights
>fluctuation in who's winning, usually leaning towards prot losing
>prot about to lose
>gets angry
>all of a sudden turns the battle around and wins

And this didn't even happen all that often with Gon, at least not compared to Yu Yu Hakusho. That literally happened with every single major fight in YYH, especially with Yusuke.

But yeah, not everyone's gonna like the same thing, even if the majority here seemingly does. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>134092221
You can sling pompous jabs around all you want, but if you're not going to propose any counterpoints, then you may as well just be shitting on your keyboard.

>>134092277
HxH being a satire is the only possible way I can justify some of the shit that's written into the series. Unfortunately I don't think that was the intent, and I definitely don't think that's how it was perceived.
>>
>>134092250
>not once did we ever get to see it.
Killing Kite. Surviving a blow from the King. Remote controlling an army of soldiers around a country. Surviving a blow from Netero. Developing one of the best healing abilities of the entier series.

Your arguments are full of shit.
>>
>>134092374
>then you may as well just be shitting on your keyboard.
Considering that's what you did with the first two posts, there's no need to propose or counter anything.
You're the one who has to work harder to make your arguments worth replying to.
>>
>>134091832
>>134091839

Killua's needle was a moment of character development; he finally overcame his brother's conditioning because his desire to protect his friend overrode it.

Your other two examples are characters gaining the ability to win a fight, and making every other aspect of their life disastrously worse in the process. Kurapika becomes a murderer and locks himself into a death-revenge grudgematch that his friends barely pull out of, and Gon reduces himself to beef jerky and burns a lifetime of potential and inborn talent on a five-minute fight.

Being able to win a fight doesn't always lead to a happy ending in HxH; this is something the show harped on pretty regularly. Are you sure you watched it?
>>
>>134092374
>I don't think that was the intent
You should really see the shit Togashi flings at shounen jump. Not only that, just the fact that he scribbles out drawings and makes them publish it is another hilarious "fuck you"

It may not be a satire played straight but a lot of stuff is definitely Togashi just spiting shounen jump. I think I could even argue the gore is just to piss them off (though I definitely have a weaker argument for that).
>>
>>134092277
>killua
>#1 bro
>>
>>134091832
It sounds like you've just ignored a huge number of plot points (and corresponding criticisms for YYH, how are you going to complain about Kurapika, Gon san etc when demon Yusuke exists? How are you going to hate edgelord Killua and Kurapika but like Hiei?). Like you switched off your brain midway through after realizing it's not an exact parallel for the series you've got a nostalgiaboner for.

>Killua is an angsty cliché with legs
Assassin Killua is an edgy cliche, HA->GI Killua is a a fun, normal kid, Killua in CA arc is a soft hearted, but self centered person who is unhealthily dependent on Gon, Killua post CA arc finally has his own goal and distances himself from Gon.
>he sure has an easy time befriending Gon
No shit, he was literally mid rebellion and looking for fun
>The development of Yu Yu Hakusho's characters is almost unparalleled
The development of Killua and Gon's relationship has significantly more depth and enough chemistry that most people see a romantic relationship between them, Kurapika is not a perfectly friendship oriented person, and Leorio hasn't got his time to shine yet.
>He also has an ability that allows him to capture and defeat any Spider with absolutely no effort whatsoever.
And he is severely limited by the threat of death and the inability to use it on anyone else. He trains for it, just like everyone else, but happens to be extremely smart.
>which was never mentioned prior
Except for all the times Illumi's needles were shown in action, and the scenes of Illumi manipulating Killua's mind.
>again with no effort whatsoever
It was a fucking suicide attempt by a guilt ridden child, it's not an expression of hard work.
>primary antagonists all die from radiation poisoning off-screen
Thematically driven deaths are a problem for you?
>who decides to stop being a bad guy altogether
Who developed slowly over the length of a huge arc

You honestly just sound like you wanted a generic, YYH/DBZ style battle shounen.
>>
>>134092254
Hey mom look I posted a bait! I'm funny on internets mommy
>>
>>134092690
Not bait if it's the truth.
>>
>2011
>>
File: 1448224922789.jpg (104 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1448224922789.jpg
104 KB, 1280x720
>>134092625
>killua
>not #1 bro
>>
>>134091832
>The 2011 adaptation of Hunter x Hunter
>a monument of it's medium
>>
>>134092374
>>134092543
A work having different priorities or a different message than its contemporaries doesn't make it "satire." HxH is still shonen, but it has a more nuanced view on the nature of "power," and doesn't present combat prowess or sheer willpower as the be-all, end-all of one's personal growth. It has more in common with traditional fantasy/adventure stories in that regard.

The one element I could see being directly satirical is the last phase of the Hunter exam -- a tournament arc that literally plays out backwards, and ends prematurely, because the tests of skill, resourcefulness and intelligence that came before were more important.
>>
File: 1417382751731.jpg (79 KB, 680x441) Image search: [Google]
1417382751731.jpg
79 KB, 680x441
>>134091832
Are you stupid? Killua was programmed, conditioned to obey Illumi's orders at all times, but his ability as a human being to make individual choices overwrites it. The needle is just a metaphor, as is Killua sending Illumi back home in the Election arc.

Kurapika sacrifices any kind of mental health he had remaining for the small power up he gets, I dunno why you're so fixated on power levels when they're barely relevant in a series like HxH.

>>134091839
>Except for the King, of course, who decides to stop being a bad guy altogether.
"wauht r thhemes? i wanted a big showdown with the evil bad guy"
>>
>>134091832
>>134091839
>willfully ignores every explanation for every powerup so you can use the word "inconceivably"
>calls Killua an edgelord while ignoring all of the backstory that says he's not an edgelord
>hurr durr angst is bad flat characters lmao
Ok pal. Opinion discarded.
>>
>>134092808
He isn't.
>>
>>134092250
How is it possible to be this obtuse? It's supposed to be a completely one sided and unfair fight, if Gon was the underdog his powerup would be misconstrued as righteous. It is not supposed to be righteous, Gon isn't supposed to look like a hero, the scene is supposed to be miserable and depressing. We are supposed to be shocked and horrified by a kid absolutely MASSACRING someone on a suicidal rampage. This is not the normal way a battle shounen MC is portrayed, because they are supposed to be beacons of victory, hard work and friendship, but it turns Gon's stereotypical battle shounen MC traits against him- his determination, optimism and love for his friends essentially turn him into a monser.

It was excellent storytelling, unless your main concern is powerlevels and fights. And only retards value those things above character development, which was the entire point.
>>
>>134092819
Its not satire, but it definitely shits on tropes intentionally, which is what I was trying to say.
>>
>>134092389
Kite was barely around long enough for the audience to scale how strong he even was. It's not as if she one-shotted some hugely powerful and prominent protagonist. The only actual fight she gets in other than with Gon is with Netero, and that was barely even a fight. They built up Netero's attack for what felt like a decade, and the payoff was seeing it do literally nothing and having her leave to go so something else. Anyway, my point is, if you're going to spend an entire arc implying that a character is insurmountably powerful, the least you can do is let her prove it.

90% of all fights in HxH are ridiculously one-sided, and while that's quirky and groundbreaking and deconstruction of the yeah sure cool, it makes for some truly anticlimactic scenes. Frequently.

>>134092478
It isn't the emotional implications of all these events that are the problem. You can wrap an abhorrent plot device in feelings, but that doesn't excuse them. The needle in Killua's head was completely out of nowhere, and Gon's battle with Pitou deflated all the tension out of the arc almost on it's own. It's nice and all that there's some thought provoking morality to take from it, but it doesn't magically fix the writing.
>>
>>134092962
>it makes for some truly anticlimactic scenes. Frequently.

But is anticlimactic bad?
>>
Do I watch the old series before this one?
>>
>>134093034
Read the manga.
>>
>>134093057
This, and download it from Bakabt for the good scans.
>>
>>134092962
>Kite mentored by Ging
>nigh effortlessly kills Chimera Ants squadron leaders
>not developed
Come on dude. If that's not enough you're going to need Togashi to personally write you a fucking power level chart for you to understand.
>>
>>134093022
In itself? No

But like every other trope, overuse makes it stale.
>>
>>134092962
Illumi using needles had already been a thing in the Hunter Exam.
>>
>>134093142
I don't think HxH is stale. Every arc is different.
>>
>>134092962
>You can wrap an abhorrent plot device in feelings, but that doesn't excuse them
You're basically saying
>I don't care how much value this plot point has for character or thematic development, it needs to be constantly talked about before it happens in order to justify it's existence
We had so much fucking foreshadowing for Killua and Illumi's needle. It wasn't a shock to anyone who paid attention. What do you think that scene in the hunter exam was? Illumi being super charismatic and controlling Killua with his personality? And Gon vs Pitou is one of the highlights of the series, not for the fight (which is irrelevant, it's not a proper fight) but for the emotional impact and shock value.
>>
>>134092881
I'm not a moron; I know what the narrative was trying to get me to feel. I understand that I was supposed to be shocked and appalled at Gon's actions, but I was only left extremely irate. Gon's breakdown struck me less as a compelling twist of his character and more as an abrupt and jarring betrayal of it. Perhaps the anime rushed Kite's appearance, but I was never at all invested in his attachment to him. I didn't feel the same pain when Kite died, nor did I relate remotely to Gon as he threatened to murder a little girl. The whole thing seemed to me more like an overblown temper tantrum than a gripping play on shounen cliches. But hey, I don't know, maybe that just boils down to some difference in my wiring than most people apparently have.

>>134093214
It doesn't need to be consistently talked about, but it certainly needs to be addressed. What you're saying is "I don't care if a character utilizes an abrupt Kubo level plot point, as long as it develops his character". I absolutely do not agree. Writing needs to be more than just evocative; it needs to be well structured. That's the problem I have with the series on the whole. It's praised to high heavens for being emotional, but the story itself is structured like a termite mound.
>>
File: GI-3201.jpg (129 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
GI-3201.jpg
129 KB, 1440x810
>>134093429
>more as an abrupt and jarring betrayal of it
>>
>>134093429
>an abrupt and jarring
It's not any of those.
>it needs to be well structured.
It is, the plot along with the Nen system are extremely well structured.
>>
>>134093066
We see his relation to Ging in what, a few brief flashbacks? And I'd hardly relate his ability to mop up some bad guys to his depth of character. That's like saying Hanzo was a fleshed out character because

>flashback says he was raised to be really strong
>breaks Gon's arm

Let's get real, here.
>>
>>134093617
Why are you trying to move the goalposts? You were asking for proof of Kite's power level, not depth of character.

>Let's get real, here.
This has to be bait.
>>
Haven't you made this thread like 4 times already?
>>
>>134092962
Two things:
1. Have you considered that the most tense, dynamic struggles in HxH aren't the fights? I'm talking about stuff like the tests in the Hunter Exam, or the hostage situation in Yorkshin, or the volleyball match in Greed Island. These scenes have most of the qualities that you would look for in fights in other series -- characters revealing new powers and outsmarting each other, contests of will, escalating stakes -- Togashi just mixes things up more.

2. Have you considered that you might be frustrated because the show didn't play out according to your expectations? When I first watched it, the Yorkshin arc pissed me off, because I was jonesing for more crazy fights, and I didn't get them. I appreciate it a lot more in retrospect, though, because I realized that the struggle wasn't finding a way to beat Chrollo -- it was figuring out a resolution to the conflict that didn't leave most of the characters on both sides dead. Pakunoda was the only character who figured one out, and she had to die in order to execute it.
>>
>>134092478
>Killua's needle was a moment of character development; he finally overcame his brother's conditioning because his desire to protect his friend overrode it.
It would've been cool if it was a metaphorical need but it was an actual fucking needle. How does Togashi manage to fuck up simple character development? The only reason Killua was controlled was due to mind control and not past trauma? What horseshit.

And also the whole scene took way too fucking long with him getting in the fight and finally pulling the damn thing.
>>
>>134093429
>I understand that I was supposed to be shocked and appalled at Gon's actions, but I was only left extremely irate.
Because you didn't get a cool epic fight or because you thought what he was doing was wrong?
>Gon's breakdown struck me less as a compelling twist of his character and more as an abrupt and jarring betrayal of it.
I think you had a pretty poor grip on Gon's character then. It's extremely consistent. His optimism causes him to be unable to accept death, and his determination becomes an unhealthy obsession with saving Kite. It's also mentionned several times through the series by different characters that he's not a stable individual.
>I was never at all invested in his attachment to him. I didn't feel the same pain when Kite died, nor did I relate remotely to Gon as he threatened to murder a little girl
How is that relevant? Do you truly have to 100% relate with the protagonist to enjoy a series? You're supposed to distance yourself from him when he threatens to murder an innocent.
>>
>>134093429
>abrupt and jarring betrayal of it
Abrupt and jarring after an entire arc of him having a mental breakdown? An entire series of him being slightly 'off' and having little to no moral compass? Explicit mentions of his inability to handle enemies who show some humanity? And it's not a betrayal of his personality it's, dare I say it (since /a/ gets triggered by this word), a minor deconstruction of the generic battle shounen personality. It's his personality taken to an extreme and treated realistically, instead of idealistically. And yes, it was a temper tantrum fueled by self blame, he's only 12.

And HxH is structured just fine for a battle shounen. Foreshadowing happens to be rather subtle, you have to pay attention. Any complaints you have about the structure can be applied to YYH 10x over, it's hard to take you seriously when you willingly excuse it just because you enjoyed it more (>>134092250).
>>
>>134093617
Kite's character wasn't deep, but it was sufficient.
Eliminate threats to human race, otherwise live in harmony with nature.
His powerlevel could be inferred from his hunter rank and opinions of other characters about him without even needing to see him fight.
Plus he had a really interesting nen ability that contrasted against his character.
>>
>>134093854
>The only reason Killua was controlled was due to mind control and not past trauma?
It was both. That's not difficult to understand, is it?
I agree it is a pretty cheesy scene though.
>>
>>134093587
To it's credit, I loved the Nen system. It was unique, and I think it could have been one of the best supernatural power systems. But Togashi really handles it poorly, giving characters access to absurd abilities right off the bat. I know it's not about the fights and powerlevels, but it IS a battle shounen and there ARE plenty of fights. Seeing the heroes win virtually every time because "thank God I had Togashi's Magic Victory Tonic!" gets obnoxiously stale and repetitive.

I know, I get it, it's about the sacrifices of the characters to use them, not the powers themselves. Unfortunately, Kurapika's sacrifice is that he'll die, but only if he uses it on, you know, not the bad guys. Pretty fucking lenient terms and conditions, that. And Gon's sacrifice may as well have been anything, since Killua uses the dragon balls to wish him back to health anyway.

>>134093864
Sorry man, I just didn't connect to that scene at all. It doesn't help that the whole thing was orbiting around his bond with Kite, which I felt was extremely rushed and not nearly explored deep enough. Relatability is the lynchpin to a good protagonist; the audience cares about their plight and wants them to succeed because they feel like they know them on a personal scale. I didn't have to 100% relate to Gon to enjoy that scene, precisely, but of course I had to have investment in both Gon and Kite to properly appreciate it. I just didn't have it. Thank you though, by the way, for replying with at least moderate civility. I came looking for discussion and understanding, not Mrs. Internet's 2nd Grade Anime class.

>>134093908
As an aside, boy do I regret even mentioning I enjoyed that series, since everyone is determined to call my affection for it hypocritical, as if that has anything to do with anything.
>>
>>134093908
>a minor deconstruction of the generic battle shounen personality

How so? Explain. Most Shounen protagonists I remember have gone through similar dilemmas.
>>
>>134094551
>As an aside, boy do I regret even mentioning I enjoyed that series, since everyone is determined to call my affection for it hypocritical, as if that has anything to do with anything.
You should regret it. HxH is significantly better written than YYH in almost every way, and it is actually relevant because it shows what you like in your battle shounen. It's fine, HxH characters aren't as likable, their friendships aren't as strong, there are more anticlimaxes than fights, and if that's not your preference then that's just the way it is. But you need to stop arguing your feelings then trying to reinforce the point with "and that's why the writing is bad" when it's not, and especially not in comparison to YYH.

Also the anime screwed up their portrayal of Kite and Gon's relationship. It's not a fuck up on Togashi's part.
>>
You fell for the "HxH is good" meme. I did too, OP. Except I realized I'd be had before finishing the Hunter Exam, didn't even bother continuing the manga because of how unimpressed I was.

I thought maybe there was a basis for the amount of hype its fans give it, but it turns out they're just as deluded as narutards.
>>
>>134091832
You say there's no character development, but that's not necesarily true. Your personality doesn't need to change for there to be character development. People don't change that easily, and the fact that they do over time doesn't equate to a good writing. Except for Leorio, everyone did really change. I mean, Gon met his dad and became normal, Kurapika is sort of a gang leader now?, and Killua deserted his family with Alluka. How's that not character development?

Also, as it was noted, Kurapika and Gon had to pay for the power they asked for. I won't say it doesn't feel off, I don't like inmediate power-ups either, and Gon vs Pitou was fucking lame after all that build up... But it's not like it hasn't been established already it's a thing you can do. And the king's relationship with Komugi was super cute.

But anyway, HxH has a bunch more to offer than that. Characters are good, the story is interesting... I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just has a lot of awesome fucking moments. Like, when Gon is hunting Hisoka in the Hunter Exam. Or when Gon and Killua try to take the ball away from Netero, or Gon vs Hanso, or the kids learning Nen. Also, wasn't fun how Hisoka screws with Gon in points during their rematch in the Colliseum thingie? How about when we see Kurapika kick ass with his chain the first time we see him after the exam, when his applying as a bodyguards for the Nostrade family? Weren't the spiders cool? Like, the scene with Chrollo with the fish that eats people indoor was fucking great, and after that we get Chrollo vs the Zoldiec? Or how about when Shizuku arms wrestles with Gon out of nowhere? When they use logic to reason that the King is injured? The first seconds they raid the castle? Morel vs the tiger ant? When Wolfin literally ages when he's about to be killed by the king, just before he says Komugi? When Killua and Gon are chasing Nobunaga and Machi? Or how casual is Gon and Ging's reunion?

I mean, fuck, it's so good.
>>
>>134094721
What shows are you thinking of? Honest question, because in my experience the classic shonen protag with those traits (Goku, Luffy etc.) is never portrayed as at fault for having an entirely selfish moral compass, or a level of determination that borders on obsessive. The only example I can think of is Yusuke from Togashi's prior work, who has trouble settling back down to normal life after the Dark Tournament because he identifies more with the demons' mindset.
>>
>>134094867
>Except for Leorio
Leorio doesn't have to change, he's a perfect character right from the start.
>>
>>134094973
>impulsive
>childish
>slut
>fingers prisoners in front of children
>perfect
>>
>>134094730
>HxH is significantly better written than YYH in almost every way

>HxH characters aren't as likable, their friendships aren't as strong, there are more anticlimaxes than fights

Only in the mind of a HxHtard can these two contradictory statements be simultaneously held and believed with 100% conviction.
>>
>>134094721
Like I said, it's his personality taken to an extreme and treated realistically, instead of idealistically. His optimism prevents him from accepting Kite's death, his determination leads him to hurting himself and others into save Kite, his loyalty devolves into crushing guilt and self blame, those are generic traits for a battle shounen MC but Gon is in a situation where they don't quite 'work'.

What dilemma do you mean? Fighting an enemy who hurt their friend? That's pretty standard, but it usually results in them being the heroes who save the day in a noble and righteous manner, and it's portrayed as a victorious win. The way Gon killed Pitou (brutally, one-sidedly, without coming up from the losing position as the underdog, without working hard for it, after she showed some humanity) stripped it of all the good things that usually come with a revenge plot for an MC.
>>
>>134095022
No, not really.
>>
>>134094973
I didn't complain, he's pretty much a gag character compared to the others. I was just saying that he's the same guy as the beginning. Probably because all he did was studying in a place far far away.
>>
>>134095022
On what fucking planet are they contradictory? Unlikable characters and weak relationships are often the best written because they have proper flaws and room for development, which is absolutely the case for HxH. Anticlimaxes are not inherently bad at all, they are a particularly good strategy to prevent power creep in a long running shounen and usually result in unconventional climactic moments elsewhere in the arc.

But despite both of those points, it's understandable that someone might not find it enjoyable as a matter of personal taste.
>>
>>134095120
>Unlikable characters and weak relationships are often the best written
For HxH fantards maybe. For those of us who haven't drunk the Koolaid and still enjoy things without being a member of a mindless cult, it makes for extremely tedious stories because there is very little for us to care about.
>>
>>134095120
Agreed. The problem with OP is that he's pretending his personal dislike for anticlimaxes or emotionally charged storytelling is "bad structure" or "asspulls", rather than just saying it's not his thing and he preferred YYH's more traditional shounen approach.
>>
>>134094892
Are you kidding me? The series constantly portrays Goku, the one who made this archetype popular, as an incredibly selfish individual whose actions come to bite him in the ass. He himself states that he was in the wrong for letting Vegeta go. He decides to stay dead because it's his fault the androids came, he could have taken care of them when Trunks told him about them (remember how he shut down the proposition of finding Gero with the dragon just because he wanted to fight them?).

And then there's the Super Saiyan transformation. The entire point of that was to turn Goku into a completely sadistic monster, he was completely out-of-character and that was stated multiple times by multiple characters. The series establishes s a parallel to the Piccolo Daimao arc where, again, Goku's own selfish desires led him to a revenge-seeking mission, ignoring Roshi's judgement. Except here he develops and actually managed to control himself later on.

I was mainly thinking about DBZ, because it was Goku who made the archetype popular, but I honestly can't see HOW he ISN'T portrayed as a selfish asshole, when the creator himself said he was.
>>
>>134094551
>But Togashi really handles it poorly, giving characters access to absurd abilities right off the bat.
It's not handled poorly though. The abilities come with downsides right off the bat. Kurapika's ability, for exemple, isn't as OP as you think it is. Sure in a 1vs1 fight it's pretty much a guaranteed win if he doesn't act like a retard, but against more than that it's pretty useless. This is directly adressed in the series, by the way. Not to mention that all the Troupe members now know how his abilities work.
As for Alluka, that's an entirely different matter altogether. Even then Gon lost his nen and damaged his friendship with Killua for good.

>which I felt was extremely rushed and not nearly explored deep enough
I think you're undermining their relationship. Kite saved Gon's life like what, 3 times? That alone is more than enough to feel endebted to someone for life. Not to mention he was the reason Gon went on his adventure in the first place, he taught him about Ging being alive and hunters in general and pretty much gave him a goal.
I don't think it really was about Kite anymore by the end anyway. Gon felt that what happened to him was his fault, so it was more about him trying to fix his fuck up.
Maybe you're right and you just see things differently but maybe it'll help you see it the way i do.
>>
>>134095120
> Unlikable characters and weak relationships
What the fuck? Can you guys hold down your horses and explain what this is all about? How are HxH characters unlikable and have weak relationships? Are you reading the same manga I am? Geez.
>>
>>134094551
>"thank God I had Togashi's Magic Victory Tonic!"
wat
>>
>>134095174
Are you 12 years old by any chance? Because your brain most likely is. You should consider graduating past 'lel righteous gud guys win xDD'.
>>
>>134095251
Because both the characters and the relationships portrayed are deeply flawed. The most obvious exemple being Gon and Killua.
>>
OP you made a mistake of trying to talk to HxH fans. Similar to Narutards, they will defend every single aspect of this garbage and will refuse to admit to a single flaw. At best they will admit "well maybe it's just not meant for you" but they will say it in a way that implies you have poor taste for not being able to "get it".

They not only do not accept criticism they actually distort obvious, objective flaws into strengths through impossible logical gymnastics.

Just give up and let this thread die. You can't talk to these people.
>>
>>134095251
Gon, Killua and Kurapika all have their selfish moments and if someone is looking for bros having each others backs, HxH probably isn't right for them. Their relationships are weak in the sense that Gon and Killua's friendship is unhealthy, Kurapika ignores people all the time and wants to be a lone wolf, etc. This gives them room to develop though, it isn't always like that, and that doesn't make them unlikable for me.
>>
>>134095328
How about you try to adress the counter arguments instead of being a passive agressive pussy bitch?
>>
>>134095326
Flawed doesn't mean they're indiferent. They'd probably die for each other at this point.

>>134095323
Kill yourself.
>>
>>134095323
The vast majority of the manga I still read are seinen. Not only did I graduate past "good guy always wins" I also graduated past the "muh moral ambiguity so deed" phase that is so popular among adolescents. Then I graduated past authoritarianism, then against anti-authoritarianism, and now I mostly just find shounen trite and uninteresting unless it's a comedy.
>>
>>134095328
So they're basically less delusional Bleachtards?
>>
>>134095328
OP made the mistake of trying to start a mature conversation in an anime community board. Everyone knows anime fans are the worst, me included.
>>
>>134095217
Goku is constantly portrayed as a hero. He is selfish for sure, but Toriyama failed at conveying it- whenever he lets someone dangerous live so he can fight them later, he just looks like a cool, powerful guy.
>>
>>134091832
Generic shonenshit. Saint seiya did the fujobait so much better.
>>
>>134092881
I liked the scene, but what you are describing is nothing different from your typical "main character goes berserker" cliche like Ichigo turning hollow or Nardo turning fox
>>
>>134095328
Have you even bothered to read the thread? It's full of actual, decent arguments based on the material and logical explanations. OP has also responded with his own rebuttals. It's only bad if you think people shouldn't be allowed to disagree. It's not some shit flinging trash thread about Pitou's gender or something.
>>
>>134094730
I'm not here to argue which of Togashi's works is objectively superior or something. I was just drawing some parallels. I think characters are, by a huge margin, the most important aspect of a series. A book with a shitty narrative can be at least partially salvaged by a lovable cast, but a bad cast will spoil even the most masterfully scripted tale. YYH has some hilariously stupid storytelling. Shit, there are like 4 tournament arcs, it's bananas. But it's characters are divinely crafted, and it's their chemistry that pushes the plot along over it's cheesy, cliche bog of a story. It doesn't hide the ugly plot mechanics (I'm looking at you, demon Yusuke), but it helps the pill along.

Hunter is a series driven by emotional impact. It's approach to the shounen genre hinges on an investment in it's characters. As I said, I'm not clueless. I grasp that the series isn't like it's author's prior work, nor works similar to it. It's fueled not by heroes overcoming villains with hope and friendship and asspull magic, but by the sacrifices, consequences and moral implications of it's characters actions. But a story like that NEEDS a good cast to push it; if I'm not invested in the dreams or worries of the protagonists, how can I be invested when they make big decisions or lose their minds? And I'm not being abrasive out of emotional preference when I refer to the writing; some of it IS poor. It's very easy to look Kurapika gaining sudden inconceivable amounts of strength, or Killua suddenly having a magical maguffin family member and say "the show's not about that stuff, focus on this!", but those things are still there. They're still awful examples of writing, and they aren't justified by their implications.
>>
>>134095217
What? Now it's been a while since i read DB and i don't remember it too well, but the first time he goes SSJ he gives some of his energy to Freeza so he can live and only kills him once he tries to backstab him. This serves to him being portayed as the cool humble guy who gives people a second chance, not a "selfish asshole".
>>
File: 1434167838782.jpg (70 KB, 496x798) Image search: [Google]
1434167838782.jpg
70 KB, 496x798
>>134091832
>Alright, /a/. I don't get it. The 2011 adaptation of Hunter x Hunter is revered by many as extraordinary; a monument of it's medium, and a masterpiece...
Stopped reading there
>>
>>134095507
HxH doesn't have fujobait though.
>>
>>134095400
...I don't know, I'm not seeing it. Even the spiders were deeply rooted camarades, we've seen enough of that with Uvogin and Paku's deaths (And Chrollo's dissappearance).

Killua and Gon have their ups and down, but they're still super ultra friends... I mean, even that octopus and Killua were bros just after meeting. And then we have Knuckle and Shoot, for example... I'll have you remember Knuckle almost killed himself trying to Shoot's... Honor.

Friends are a big thing in HxH. In that regard, it's not that different from other shounen.
>>
>>134091832
This thread has literally the most words i have ever seen in a HxH thread
>>
>>134095558
It's fine that you feel that way, but it's still obviously just your feelings rather than any objective criticism of the series. You're excusing YYH for it's shitty writing because of how much you liked the characters, while saying HxH can't do the same things because you didn't like the characters that much.

Your arguments are based on the premise that the cast is bad- but it's not, Gon and Killua together are a particularly well loved pair that lends itself to serious emotional investment. Kurapika is extremely popular with fans of the series and Leorio is popular on /a/, at least. We can't force you to care about characters, but the fact is that many do.
>>
>>134095829
This is the best HxH thread in like 6 months.
>>
>>134095470
To each their own, I guess. I think the series did a very good job of portraying Goku as someone who selfish intentions that manages to acquire a good outcome somehow. Like I said, when he decides to stay dead, Goku himself admits that he's more of a danger to Earth than anyone else. It's a surprisingly mature decision about something he's completely right about.

>>134095573
That's why I said he managed to control himself later on. The Super Saiyan sequence of the Freeza arc is a parallel to the Piccolo Daimao arc. Goku's best friend is killed, he then gets mad and goes on a mindless rampage. Super Saiyan was characterized in the beginning as someone who lost their mind, a warrior consumed by rage, which is why Goku threatened Gohan, why he kept saying he'd kill Freeza and why he let Freeza power-up to full. The thing is that if this was Daimao-arc Goku, he would have killed Freeza out of revenge. But this Goku develops and manages to control himself and give Freeza a second chance. It's not portraying him as the cool humble guy, it's developing him from the revenge-seeking maniac TO the cool humble guy. Which is exactly the opposite of what the series did with the character in the Piccolo Daimao arc (and to make this less off-topic, the opposite of what HxH did with Gon in the CA arc too).
>>
>>134095511
What? The arc ends with the village celebrating Naruto for being the perfect hero who saved them all.
>>
File: UXwRGQa.png (688 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
UXwRGQa.png
688 KB, 1280x720
>>134095829
We're scholars, bitch.
>>
>>134095541
>It's full of actual, decent arguments based on the material and logical explanations
In this thread I saw the typical HxH fan run-around: deflecting criticism by applying it to other series, claiming flaws are actually strengths that people are simply too dumb to appreciate, claiming it's lackluster writing is due to being a "deconstruction", claiming its use of cliches are actually satirical or metaphors for something else nowhere evident in the manga, etc.
>>
>>134095558
>It's approach to the shounen genre hinges on an investment in it's characters.
How?
>if I'm not invested in the dreams or worries of the protagonists, how can I be invested when they make big decisions or lose their minds?
At that point it's a matter of preference. I can just as easily claim the cast in YYH is bad because i didn't care about them.
>It's very easy to look Kurapika gaining sudden inconceivable amounts of strength
You mean the one that was used to kill exactly one guy before they figured out how it works? How is that an issue in the writing?
>or Killua suddenly having a magical maguffin family member
I think this is the first legitimate complain you've made. I completely agree with that one.
>>
>>134095948
What you saw is people disagreeing with you, and you don't like it, so you're dismissing valid arguments as 'run around'.

If you think HxH is total shit nothing is going to convince you and no argument will be good enough, what the fuck do you expect?
>>
>>134096034
Stop fucking replying to bait.
>>
>>134092355
>And this didn't even happen all that often with Gon
I think it happened exactly once, and even then it was more about Gon luring Genthru into their trap than getting angry and turning the battle around.
>>
>>134095968
>At that point it's a matter of preference. I can just as easily claim the cast in YYH is bad because i didn't care about them.
This is an underrated argument. It's impossible to argue against "the cast is bad", because the only possible reply is "no, it isn't".
>>
File: 1433348418357.png (420 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1433348418357.png
420 KB, 640x480
>>134095948
Its hard to really believe that you are arguing in good faith when are making up shit that never happened in this thread. sage
>>
>>134091832
Why they didn't use a killsat to deal with meruem?, I mean they have the tech to compress nukes
>>
>>134096034
>What you saw is people disagreeing with you,
Of course they disagree, because they can't accept the object of their worship has flaws. It doesn't matter what I say about it, if it's negative they will not accept it. It's sacrilegious in the HxH Cult to imply any part of the story is not perfect.
>>
>>134096065
>he didn't drink the Koolaid, stop replying to the nonbeliever!
>>
>>134096193
you mean besides these posts
>>134095240
>>134095120
>>134095024
>>134094867
>>134094730
>>134093864
>>134093733
Etc. Just full of more goalpost-shifting, values-warping, buck-passing rigmarole that is the HxHfag argumentation.
>>
>>134096299
>why can't I make stupid, misguided criticisms of a series and have the fans of it agree with me instead of replying with decently thought out, reasonable responses!
>>
File: 1448079603196.gif (2 MB, 390x220) Image search: [Google]
1448079603196.gif
2 MB, 390x220
>>134096299
this sounds more and more like bait, anon
>>
File: 1424313358115.jpg (14 KB, 271x275) Image search: [Google]
1424313358115.jpg
14 KB, 271x275
>>134096212
>give your point of view
>someone else gives theirs
>hurr you're a blind cultist who can't accept flaws!
Are you retarded? Serious question.
The thread has been pretty civil so it leads me to think that you're getting upset because people aren't agreeing with you.
>>
>>134095854
I'm not saying YYH's characters excuse it's poor writing. It's still borderline horrendous, but I enjoyed the experience through the cast that populated it. To be clear, that doesn't mean the narrative somehow gets a free pass. It's relentlessly run of the mill and rife with holes.

My issue is that HxH has those same holes, but the characters aren't strong enough to glaze over them. You even remarked yourself that it's cast was lacking. It's good that many people like the characters, but I certainly don't think they're well written. Gon perhaps, but it's impossible to take Killua's history seriously, and he only serves as the token 2kool4skool angsty guy of the group unless he's interacting with Gon, who he became best friends with immediately despite being raised never to have friendships. He grows as a character eventually, but it's not until pretty late into the series. Kurapika is pretty one-note as well, being the cool and collected guy unless he's angry, at which point he's the angry guy. He and Leorio get ditched anyway, so they're barely even worth talking about.

I'm not saying "I don't like these guys, this show is bad", I legitimately don't think they're examples of good characters, especially since their interaction with one another ranges from immediate loyalty and companionship to never seen again.

Also, I'm very glad to hear that the manga handled Kite and Gon's relationship with more time and care. That was a massive part of my disliking the entire second half of Chimera Ants.

>>134095968
If your show hinges on emotional provocation and moral insight, then yes, having good characters is important. The audience isn't going to be provoked if they don't care about who they're watching, although I guess I'm the vast minority when it comes to Hunter's crew of companions. Kurapika pulling giant wealths of power out of his anal cavity is not good writing, regardless of who he uses it on.
>>
>>134095573
did you watch the dub?
>>
>>134096622
OP here, and just to clarify, I'm not the same person as that fetal alcohol byproduct shitposting accident.
>>
>>134096751
Yeah, it's pretty obvious. Your replies have been reasonable even if I don't agree.
>>
File: 1_zps5b90ce9d.gif (256 KB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
1_zps5b90ce9d.gif
256 KB, 384x216
>>134096830
Appreciated. I'm not trying to stir up shit. I love anime and I love the shounen genre. I'm just trying to get my frustrations with this show across and hopefully find some common ground.
>>
File: 1415732635599.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1415732635599.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>134097043
Besides YYH, what are your favorite Shounen? Just curious, trying to gauge your style here.
>>
>>134097043
Why don't you read the manga?
>>
>>134096212
Hey, man, you're OP right? Well, I'll assume you are.

You say Alluka is an asspull? Very true, whoever says it isn't should be shot in the face. You say the MC's power-ups are asspull? ...Well, I mean, they aren't asspulls if you look at them in context, as you/OP said, but at the very least I agree they damaged the narrative. I don't think Kurapika's case is that terrible, because otherwise the York Shin arc wouldn't have happened at all... But sure, you can disagree on that one. Gon didn't have any reason to be so mad with Kite's dead? I personally strongly agree to that as well. None of this are so terrible that they overshadow everything else the manga has to offer.

And, seriously, other than that the complains fall into "character's are bad and have bad chemistry". And the answer to that is, well, shit, I don't know, I liked them.

There's a lot of analysis both in and out of fights, the characters actually look like they have a brain, and they use it. I very much enjoy seeing the inner rants they have then they need to figure out how to get out of a sticky situation, or when they're presented with a difficult decision. And the fights involve wits most of the time (Combined with raw strenght), which is cool. HxH also has a non linear way of moving the plot, instead of a clear formulaic progression, and I believe Togashi is very skilled in introducing interesting scenarios. I say "I believe", risking being biased, but I just can't fathom how anyone can say it's a narrative disaster. It can bore you, sure, because people have opinions, but there's an awful variety of sound plot twists, and paths the characters take, and constant conflict, that feel like thought has been put into it.
>>
File: HxH_c344_p03-04.png (1 MB, 1576x1145) Image search: [Google]
HxH_c344_p03-04.png
1 MB, 1576x1145
>>134096695
>You even remarked yourself that it's cast was lacking.
I don't think that at all. They just aren't as likable, which isn't a bad thing when you appreciate flawed characters. Killua drops the edgelord act almost instantly after the hunter exam, his development really starts with Greed Island (the most notable moment being allowing Gon to hurt his hands during the dodgeball game), then peaks with CA and the election arc. That's good timing for character development, it's not forcibly happening overnight. Kurapika and Leorio aren't as developed, but the series isn't over, and the new manga arc focuses on them.

That aside, the main 4 aren't the only characters in the series, the most stand out, memorable characters in the series tend to be villains.
>>
Any news or light on Season 2?
>>
How did Alluka return Gon to normal if she didn't know what Gon's normal was?
>>
>>134097246
Not for the next decade.
>>
>>134097285
But I will die in a few years...
>>
>>134097337
Same here.
>>
>>134091832
dude you're stuck in a world of nostalgia, you're going to have to get over it

all shounens have asspulls, and at least HxH tries to keep them in line with the power levels abbr.

If you want any ass pull its this:
>top 5 nen users in the world (association's leader
>dodgeballer is really impressed by nen control from the spider members
>dark world saga power levels

There is literally no where for him to go, as long as we lived in a world of make believe where Gon and Killua were still little shits compared to the elite, which were shit compared to top 5, we could suspend disbelieve. But now... He's written his series into the ground.

By the way YYH, at least the anime, is incredibly bland and boring by comparison. It honestly plays out only slightly better than DBZ IMO, where as there is dynamism in every HxH fight, with contrasting powers leading to interesting fights.
>>
>>134097337
>...
fuck off and give yourself an early death animefag
>>
File: 1448569429162.jpg (4 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
1448569429162.jpg
4 KB, 100x100
>>134097382
>>
>>134096695
>You even remarked yourself that it's cast was lacking.
I think what anon meant is that the character flaws in HxH are more obvious.
>it's impossible to take Killua's history seriously, and he only serves as the token 2kool4skool angsty guy of the group unless he's interacting with Gon
I think you should give it a rewatch or something. This also annoyed me to no ends but i was pleasantly surprised when those traits disappeared after like one arc.
>Kurapika is pretty one-note as well, being the cool and collected guy unless he's angry, at which point he's the angry guy.
I think you're undermining it. There's more to his character than that, i'm thinking of scenes such as when he realizes what Paku is doing isn't much different than him and it causes him to question his motivations altogether.
>He and Leorio get ditched anyway, so they're barely even worth talking about.
You should give the manga a read, then. The new arc is focusing on them, even if sadly there are only 10 chapters available and it's on hiatus right now.

>having good characters is important
I think the characters are really good, i'd even say it's the strong point of HxH. I'm curious as why you think they aren't, what you said above excluded.
>although I guess I'm the vast minority
That doesn't make your points less valid and anyone who resorts to ad populum is generally an idiot.
>>
File: 5ba.jpg (28 KB, 485x480) Image search: [Google]
5ba.jpg
28 KB, 485x480
>>134097382
>muh sekrit club
>>
>>134097382
Holy shit

A 3 simple dots gave you almost heart attack

how about......
>>
>>134092881
People responding to this are daft as fuck, and if you are upset that this is an asspull you're missing the bad writing entirely. The bad writing is 'magic power conveniently on Killua's backdoor only available to Killua' that he uses to fix Gon, within 20chapters ( estimate ) of Gon's ruin.

The sacrifice actually does ( somewhat ) follow the rules of the show
>leverage body, soul ( pain conception and period of existence ) for your perfect body
There are tons of rules using death ( as a breaker ) why not use death as real-time leverage?
>>
File: 1443625086672.jpg (39 KB, 374x347) Image search: [Google]
1443625086672.jpg
39 KB, 374x347
>>134097377
>If you want any ass pull its this:
>>top 5 nen users in the world (association's leader
>>dodgeballer is really impressed by nen control from the spider members
>>dark world saga power levels

>There is literally no where for him to go, as long as we lived in a world of make believe where Gon and Killua were still little shits compared to the elite, which were shit compared to top 5, we could suspend disbelieve. But now... He's written his series into the ground.
>>
>>134097249
Togashi forgot how to write after GI.
>>
>>134094551
>Relatability is the lynchpin to a good protagonist; the audience cares about their plight and wants them to succeed because they feel like they know them on a personal scale.
Hahahaha holy shit
>>
>>134097249
>>134097521
When was it stated that Alluka needed to know?
>>
>>134095541
>Pitou's gender
The official databook says pitou is male, that's all there is to it. I'm guessing a lot of you aren't aware, but transgender people do exist, and pitou and kurapika are heavily coded as trans. Looks don't decide gender. Please respect his pronouns and gender because otherwise you're honestly just being rude.
>>
>>134097640
It's a weird question, she can grant literally any wish so she must have some sort of unconscious omnipotence while granting them.
>>
>>134097640
>>134097249
Alluka doesn't need to know, if Alluka needed to know, she wouldn't be able to heal the bird the way it was shown, she isn't a vet, she doesn't "know" how to fix a broken wing

Magic, aint gotta 'splain shit
>>
>>134097076
Gurren Lagann's a big one for me. 80's Dragonball, Hajime No Ippo. I'm really enjoying Kill La Kill! recently. I think my soft spot for the genre stems from 12 year old me refusing to grow out of all the cheesy action series I saw as a kid. I'm a sucker for fun, bop the bad guy battle series, even if they're cliche and done to death. I suppose that probably didn't help my trying to love Hunter at all, but I can usually watch things with an open mind. I think.

>>134097094
Because a new Dragon Quest is coming out and I'm wise to Papa Gashi's ways.

>>134097179
That's true, huh? As much as I harp on the characters, I actually really liked a lot of the villains. Phinx was fucking awesome. My favorite character in the whole show was probably Pouf.

>>134097129
That asshat isn't me, but I appreciate the in-depth reply. I agree with pretty much everything you said. Hunter shines very brightly when it pulls off what it sets out to do. I actually adored Chimera Ants' first half. Maybe it's personal preference, but I just can't overlook it's issues, and it irks me when people say they aren't there at all. I'm so exhausted with being told I'm too dumb to understand Hunter, so I only hate it because I don't get it. I just can't handle all the stupidly huge powerups so often, and it left me starving for proper character interaction. Maybe it's not what Hunter is about, but the ends don't justify the means.
>>
>>134097770
>Dragon Quest
You know this is a meme, right?

Anyway, the manga doesn't have some of the issues that you complained about so you should at least read until the end of the Election arc.
>>
>>134097502
what i mean is he never gave us a sane frame of reference from which to watch the development of the boys

we are now in a position where any nen powers are going to not make much sense ( by way of pure power ) as mereum was clearly - by comparison to the foudner of the hunter association - the most powerful nen user ever CONCEIVED of.
>>
>>134097770
>I just can't handle all the stupidly huge powerups so often
There are like what, 2 of them in the entire series? And they don't actually solve anything for the characters, if anything they create more problems for them.
>and it left me starving for proper character interaction
But that's what the entire second half of the CA arc is about.
I genuinely don't understand your complaints.
>>
>>134097770
>cheesy action
john woo is definitely much better than any anime i've seen although Gurren laggen did something special
>>
>>134097859
I don't understand what you mean.
Are you saying Meruem was too powerful and Gon and Kil too weak?
>>
File: 1338529259737.jpg (97 KB, 525x286) Image search: [Google]
1338529259737.jpg
97 KB, 525x286
>>134097062
Extraordinary, a monument of its medium.
>>
>>134097770
>I just can't handle all the stupidly huge powerups so often, and it left me starving for proper character interaction
Huh? Didn't you say earlier that you enjoy battle shounen as a genre? HxH has a bare minimum of powerups and fights and focuses far more on the characters. The biggest powerup in the series revolves around character development more than anything else.

Your posts are strange, you articulate yourself well and seem capable of analyzing work critically but your actual arguments are just weirdly off base. If you hated battle shounen in general it would make sense, because the genre really just can't compete with well written series for adults, but it makes no sense if you usually enjoy all it's shitty conventions but dislike it when HxH handles them in a more clever way.
>>
>>134092250
So you wanted it to be more of a shitty shounen?
H'okay kid.
>>
>>134098034
What i'm trying to say, albeit very poorly, is that without expanding the horizons of the narrative ( DBZ every saga ) you are forced to write hints, vagueries, and reference points into the narrative of the world in order to structure the world-building. Anime is usually simple minded, without expansive world-building, and is literally built on asspulls ( things without prior reference ).

What i loved about hxh is you had the vagueness of the hunter association ( broad range of skills and passions, while still insinuitating a good bottom-line for power levels ) and lots of intimations of other behind the scenes power groups - kind of like my favorite fantasies it built up disparate power groups that contextualize well when compared to the real world.

That being said these hints rest on a few strong pieces of data: direct quotes of comparisons, and reactions.

I think that the comment that Netero's comment on top 5 nen users ( including Gin ) set the bar in terms of top - known - powers. While there's no direct evidence he's among the top 5, he seems to reference a plateau ( his own above others ) when fighting Mereum, which would insinuate that in the past there was no one better than him.

Gon and Killua are now strong enough to have been selected for the ants eradication ( while good estimates for power levels were known ) or else others would have been mobilized - anything else is a ret-con ass pull, which is very weakly supported ( I'm sure that the greatest powers would be willing to test it against an unknown, and they can't possibly - all of them - be busy with other comparable challenges.

Basically, dark arc is the first major asspull, in a consumate series of plot ending contrivances. As soon as it was announced I lost essentially all interest in the series; that being said it is the first anime I have rewatched since i was 17.
>>
File: 1417226324477.jpg (9 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1417226324477.jpg
9 KB, 300x168
>>134098077
I need to go back and get a screen cap of when Killua was first explaining his family business to Gon and he did that incredibly gay pose, I know it happened some time while they were on the air ship during the first exam, but I'm too lazy to find it.
>>
>>134098182
>clever
>minimum contrivances
>interesting character dynamics
This is the only reason I watch HxH because of the character interactions and the minimum interruptions to their development. As does every shounen, droning on will happen.

The minor villains are particularly lovely as they remind me of Strongest man's kurosawa's narrative explanations.
>>
>>134097433
I wasn't using it to validate my argument. Just a passing comment. Even setting aside the characters themselves, I was extremely disappointed with the way they bonded and interacted. The four protagonists become best buddies pretty much instantly, with the exception of Leorio and Killua, and that was more for slapstick purposes than interpersonal tension. I didn't feel any authenticity from any of them, since they seemed like they would give a limb for one another after after exchanging names. The relationship between Gon and Killua, particularly, was lost on me. They became inseparable friends for eternity in like a day, even though Killua's background totally contradicted it. That was a real problem for me, considering the show so heavily leans on their dichotomy. Anyway, it's entirely possible I'd enjoy the characters more with a second experience. Who can say?

>>134097854
I'm aware of that. I'm just not interested in reading a manga that doesn't have any interest in, uh. Being written.

>>134097884
>kurapika gains sudden access to all 5 nen categories at his full capacity
>killua takes a plot device out of his forehead and gains an enormous boost in strength
>gon gets an enormous powerup to beat a primary antagonist in like a second
That's three off the top of my head, and while that doesn't sound like a lot, they're kind of a big deal.
>>
>>134098445
>They became inseparable friends for eternity in like a day
Welcome to being a 12 year old kid.
>>
>>134098445
>killua uses his ability in the manner he has always used it
Yeah, ok. Pure electricity passes faster than cell-mechanisms - fyi.
>kurapika's eyes were eliminated from the earth for what we can presume was a particular reason
Maybe that was the reason? Considering his affect on the spider's ( 1 solid succesful fight ) i'd hardly call this either particularly interesting as a plot development nor an ass pull ( out of left field and game breaking ).

Gon's is definitely an ass pull, but again he gave more than his life to accomplish it. I would have been fine with it if his recovery had any real cost associated with it ( it didnt; it was the real ass pull of the series along with AssasinXassasin in the New York arc ).
>>
>>134098182
>>134098182
You nicked the nail with the hammer, there. I love cheesy battle shounen bullshit from the bottom of my heart, but it only works when it's in the context of a cheesy battle shounen bullshit series. Hunter x Hunter takes those concepts and applies them to a very genuine, emotionally driven context, and in my opinion it just didn't snap properly into place. The consensus seems to be, from my understanding, that these typical cliche shounen plot components are excused in Hunter because the viewer is encouraged to focus not on them, but on the moral duality they imply and the ramifications they have on the characters. But I'm not of the opinion that this is a justifiable excuse. Shows like Dragon Ball Z get away with stunts like that because the whole production is over the top and generally careless to begin with. They're still not GOOD plot mechanics, but they're not supposed to be taken seriously.

HxH puts a critical lens to the typical shounen cliches, but it takes away the safety net of the usual campy, beat'em up atmosphere the genre relies on. Maybe I'm just too attached to the genre to enjoy it, but when I look at these things in the context of a serious, emotional narrative, I can't look past them. I can't say "ahh, it's a shounen!" anymore. I know I'm looking at Hunter at all the wrong angles, but I don't think the cheesy shows I love are technically very good, and I don't think this one's any better for trying to deconstruct them. I hope I'm making sense.
>>
File: mfw win.jpg (62 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
mfw win.jpg
62 KB, 720x480
mfw I have 52 GB blu ray rip of my favorite show on my hdd
>>
>>134098445
>>kurapika gains sudden access to all 5 nen categories at his full capacity
I'm really not sure what the issue with this is. It's actually a good thing that it happened right after he (and the audience) learned about nen, because it obviously wasn't a last minute, desperate asspull to win a fight. It was planned all along and is just a unique trait of his clan, which is a pretty normal thing to happen in fantasy series. It was only used to defeat one unprepared person and capture another, he hasn't come close to beating the troupe with it no matter how strong he is.
>>killua takes a plot device out of his forehead and gains an enormous boost in strength
He didn't really get an enormous boost in strength, it's a mental thing. It's a 'plot device' that had been causing conflict, both in actual fights and in his emotional wellbeing, throughout the whole series from the very first arc.
>>gon gets an enormous powerup to beat a primary antagonist in like a second
The fight was unbalanced for a reason and the entire thing was the culmination of Gon's character arc. It was a big deal, but in a good way.
>>
>>134098788
That makes a fair bit of sense. HxH takes itself more seriously than most battle shounen but there's still a limit on how seriously the audience can take it. Personally I think Togashi does a very good job of avoiding common pitfalls in the genre and subverting our expectations, there were many moments throughout the series where things just didn't go the way I would expect, and I loved being surprised like that. But that's kind of reliant on it fitting the genre in the first place, so it will still retain some flaws from it.
>>
>>134098632
He was supposed to be a 12 year old kid raised by a family of killers who taught him strictly to never make friends, trust anyone and only think of the target. That argument doesn't work.

>>134098703
Killua becomes immediately able to defeat an opponent he couldn't defeat prior with no actual development of skill on his part. That is, by the books, a pull from one's rectum.

The specifics of Kurapika's past is conjecture, and it's absolutely important. He defeats the strongest Spider (physically) with absolutely no problem whatsoever. He gains an impossibly powerful ability and his reasoning is "when I get really mad, my eyes go red and I can use all 5 nen categories because lmao I dunno". In what realm is that not an asspull and an awful example of writing?
>>
>>134098291
Call me retarded, but i still don't get it.
Obviously there are going to be people better at handling nen than others, this is valid for pretty much anything. "top 5 nen users" is a pretty vague statement as well.
The only thing i've understood is that you think Gon and Kil are stronger than average because they took place in the palace invasion, but it's not the case.
>>
>>134099132
>a 12 year old kid raised by a family of killers who taught him strictly to never make friends, trust anyone and only think of the target. That argument doesn't work.
Yes it does because he left that family so he could stop being an assassin. He's still a 12yo kid who wants to make friends
>>
File: KILLUALLPAPER = MAY.jpg (199 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
KILLUALLPAPER = MAY.jpg
199 KB, 1600x900
>>134092734
Tell me how is IT like Dragon Ball. What do they have in common ? What did you dislike in HxH and why ? ...
>>
>>134099150
>its not that case
There's literally no evidence as contraindication of what I've said, but feel free to share your baseless opinion - this is /a/ after all.

>>134098788
>emotional context ends up playing as a landmine for your contextualization of weakness as 'its a shounen'
this makes a lot of sense, yeah the mood and world building was just a little out of place for me too and i just ran with it.

>>134099132
>immediately able to defeat an opponent prior
Prior to what? Before he could use nen? Next.
>red eyes with no understanding of why
This is every single supernatural power - ever. You either suspend your disbelief or you don't, I'm sorry there's no thermodynamic basis for nen.
>asspull of racial trait
Again, his clan was eradicated ( there's amble evidence this was a very strategic move ) probably because of their potential. Its a classic story of fear based in primeval humanity (re: crusades, Templars, Assasins/Immortals, Disdain for Plebs, etc).

Here's my question: could he even come close to rivaling someone who is a master of a nen category (re: first spider fight )? No, he was entirely outclassed even with the Spider telling him he was holding back - with an honest cocky personality - and he survived 1 blow using 100% of his power.

If he faced the SPIDERS he would have been killed easily - that's a fact and is at the crux of the character development ( contrast between the hope of having friends who don't want you to die and your own desire for self-destruction ).
I feel as though you're looking back at the series in anger after having lived through the chimera ant arc ( which most people cried about ).
>>
>>134098790
nice blog where can i subscribe
>>
>>134099132
>He was supposed to be a 12 year old kid raised by a family of killers who taught him strictly to never make friends, trust anyone and only think of the target.
Did you miss the part where he ran away from home because he didn't like the idea of not getting to make friends?

>Killua becomes immediately able to defeat an opponent he couldn't defeat prior
Which wasn't a matter of strength. Bisky explained how Killua fought pretty directly, and we saw it in his fight with Shoot.

>He defeats the strongest Spider (physically) with absolutely no problem whatsoever.
>He gains an impossibly powerful ability and his reasoning is "when I get really mad, my eyes go red and I can use all 5 nen categories because lmao I dunno".
That wasn't the reason he defeated Uvo. He defeated Uvo because of his chain jail, which was introduced long before that fight, and because of a clever strategy where he mislead Uvo into thinking the chains weren't conjured. Emperor time did nothing to help Kurapika in that fight as far as i remember.
>>
>>134099592
well i feel less crazy - thanks anon
>>
>>134099635
Click the button below you piece of shit

>>>/out/
>>
>>134099460
>There's literally no evidence as contraindication of what I've said, but feel free to share your baseless opinion - this is /a/ after all.
Alright, i'll bite. Being taken as part of the invasion team meant nothing as far as powerlevels go. It was a suicide mission because the bomb could have exploded at any time - i'm thinking of that moment where Meruem could easily have killed Netero and Zeno at any time in particular.
Also, the hunter association doesn't "hire" hunters for specific missions. They are freelance and those who aren't work under Pariston and are considered to be incompetent, this is explained by Morel and Knov in the middle of the CA arc.
>>
>>134099673
meant for
>>134099585
>>
>>134099635
Explain how i'm wrong.
Or you can just take jabs without arguing anything like a faggot.
>>
File: 1420151696496.gif (855 KB, 500x270) Image search: [Google]
1420151696496.gif
855 KB, 500x270
>>134099673
>>134099715
Blogger so mad he can't even respond to the right post, better check myself before he gets PTSD
>>
>>134099715
i was almost hurt
>>134099690
>ignoring the clear call to arms sent from netero to his most trusted collegues
Ahh, ok. It wasn't a suicide mission until the endgame ( which you are correct to say started as soon as the Dr nen was released ). >"Freelance"
i've already addressed this argument with the call-to-arms and the personality necessary for becoming a hunter
Either the world building has been weak lately ( he really has been writing himself into a corner for power levels ), or I guess its all just hidden in the clouds somewhere, which is just as weak in my opinion.

>>134099767
>what the fuck are you talking about.tiff
Fuck off paranoid schizophrenic
>>
>>134099895
>call to arms
This never happened.
>( he really has been writing himself into a corner for power levels )
What? How?
>>
>>134099966
Yeah this was subsumed to have happened in parts of Morel's dialogue... at least that's what I remember. I don't really feel like trogging through manga chapters.

>>134099966
>mereum outclassed fighters in the top 20
>is likely a weak-medium dark continent class
>gon and killua are now above the capabilities of most hunters ( re: Greed island's pool would be middle-high tier )
I don't really feel like supposing anymore with someone who comes back at me with 1-2 word answers.

So i'll be leaving unless there's something reasonable posted.
>>
>> 134099891
I'm not blogger you fuck boy, fuck off
>>
File: 1bP8CMamK5Y.jpg (36 KB, 604x340) Image search: [Google]
1bP8CMamK5Y.jpg
36 KB, 604x340
>>134099221
>>134099592
Even if I did buy into the excuse that Killua was somehow awesome and special enough to avoid buying into the strict teachings that his family drilled into the heads of their children for generations, "he's 12" is STILL a really half-baked reason for me to accept instantaneous, lazy character development like that.

>>134099460
What the fuck are these points, even? You're presenting them with a pretty pompous attitude, but they're not even counterpoints. Killua got his ass handed to him by Rammot, pulled a magic metaphor out of his head and proceeded to annihilate him. This was multiple arcs after he learned to use nen. I don't even know what you're talking about.

How the steam-fried fuck is "suspend your disbelief or don't, sorry" an argument? How am I supposed to respond to that? What to do you actually expect me to say to a retort that equates to you saying "deal with it"? And I don't accept "probably" in place of actual justification for enormous plot mechanics, thank you. Either cite me a chapter in which Kurapika details why it is he can suddenly stand toe to toe with Uvogin or don't bother. Even if his abilities do come from some Kurta trait, that's pretty fucking convenient, isn't it?

Have I fallen into a crack in the fabric of spacetime where arguments don't have to make fucking sense? Has my constant, feverish masturbating to naked anime girls finally caught up with me? Am I in weeb hell, destined to listen to whatever you're going on about for the rest of time? Help me through this man, I'm really trying here.
>>
>>134100116
>Yeah this was subsumed to have happened in parts of Morel's dialogue
I can assure you it hasn't. There isn't a single mention of a call to arms.
>gon and killua are now above the capabilities of most hunters
This isn't the case either. Gon and Killua are weaker than Knuckle and shoot, who are just students of another hunter. They're below average and lack experience, this has been stated by Knuckle himself. The fact that they took part in the invasion means nothing about how strong they are, in fact Netero thought everyone had died.
>>
>>134100218
>"he's 12" is STILL a really half-baked reason for me to accept instantaneous, lazy character development like that.
Being 12 is a half baked reason for a kid to act like he's 12? What? Do you realize what you are saying?

Both him and Gon are the only kids their age in the exam, and they both never had any real interaction with other kids the same age because assassin training or living on a small ass island.
Why wouldn't they become instant bff?
>>
>>134100218
>instantaneous, lazy character development like that
What the fuck? That's literally how he was introduced, that's what his character is from the get go, not character development.
Did you actually read this?
>>
I started watching 1999 for the first time since EncoderAnon finished his work on it, and holy shit why did no one tell me it was this good? So far it's a lot better than 2011.
>>
>>134100475
Only good part in 99 is Yorkshin.
>>
>>134100218
>Even if his abilities do come from some Kurta trait, that's pretty fucking convenient, isn't it?
Kurapika is shown to be stronger when his eyes turn scarlet, particularly when he's angry. You even see that showcased in the hunter exam. That's not a fucking asspull.
It was explained before. When a Kurta loses their senses, amazing strength comes out; and that's why even Uvo could acknowledge that the Kurta were powerful.
>Either cite me a chapter in which Kurapika details why it is he can suddenly stand toe to toe with Uvogin or don't bother.
Chapters 83 and 108.
>>
>>134100391
Aside from the whole being raised to be an emotionless killer thing that he apparently said "nah" to? Hell, aside from that, not much, but if you can buy that shit, the world is your oyster.

>>134100395
I didn't even think about it, but you're right. It's not even bad character development. It's making a character and giving him a completely fucking nutty Deviantart past that doesn't match his personality whatsoever. It's like some kind of reverse development shit. Pretty meta.
>>
>>134100218
>stand toe to toe
This is your example of an point.
>matching enhancer abilities for 1 blow
>winning the match by incapacitating your opponent with an ability that nullifies the opponent's ability to use nen
Yeap, that's called clever use of mechanics retard-san.

>Rammot develops his nen immediately and then tries to use it against a more developed fighter who has been training his entire life, and has more experience with nen as well as a speed advantage against MUCH MUCH HIGHER CLASS OPPONENTS: Kings guard
Yep, ok that's an argument essentially over and done with.
>needle hax
Being inhibited by fear may make you less able to act on your intuitions, which are pretty much the basis of delicate motor control. It would of course improve his coordination.

>>134100326
I'll now have to check to try and clear my head.
>gon and killua
Hmm, there's definitely some context for that fair enough. Their development speed is clearly hax, but that's par for the course. I guess my anger at the dark continent bullshit kind of retroactively hit gon and killua, especially with Gon-san.
>>
>>134100532
Generally yorkshin is the best arc in HxH
>>
>>134100640
What about Chimera Ant?
>>
>>134100676
Best arc of the manga.
>>
>>134100630
>that he apparently said "nah" to?
You have to accept that he said "nah" to it from the moment he left his family to go pass the hunter exam.
If he can do that, then he can be friends with Gon too.
>>
>>134100704
Best arc of the anime.
>>
File: 1437946328531.gif (154 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
1437946328531.gif
154 KB, 170x170
>>134100676
Worse than Yorkshin. Pitou is the only good thing to come from it.
>>
>>134100676
no
>>
>>134100788
The anime butchered it though.
>>134100806
It's mostly superior to Yorkshin. You can kill yourself Pitoufag.
>>
File: 1444098441204.jpg (43 KB, 421x427) Image search: [Google]
1444098441204.jpg
43 KB, 421x427
>>134100630
So let me get this straight, you're upset because he isn't Sasuke but instead is friendly and nice despite being raised in a family of assassins?
>>
I wish the author didn't ass pull gon twice. Otherwise, i would proudly say this is one of the best shonen because it feels "realistic" It have strict rules that the overarching plot attaches to it. You just don't train 1 month to start beating the crap out of the bad guy.

So yeah, aside from Gon super sayan transformation and miraculous recovery, this is the best so far for me.
>>
>>134100998
>Gon super sayan transformation
This wasn't an asspull.
>>
>>134100639
>Their development speed is clearly hax, but that's par for the course.
That's true. At least Togashi was reasonable enough to make them among the weakest characters of the series, because they're still like 12.
>I guess my anger at the dark continent bullshit
I'm curious to know what makes you angry about the DC. You know it's not about powerlevels, right? The calamities are dangerous, not strong. One of them is just straight up a plague and another one is just a parasite.
>>
File: 34099350.jpg (13 KB, 194x300) Image search: [Google]
34099350.jpg
13 KB, 194x300
>>134100607
Yeah, I got that he gets stronger when he's mad. That's cool and all, but there's a pretty big space between "stronger" and "I have incapacitated one of the strongest characters in the series currently". That doesn't irk you at all? Not even a little? A character is suddenly able to defeat whoever he wants, but it's fine because Togashi made a vague passing comment about it? I mean, if you want to accept that, then fuck, you do you, but that ain't me.

>>134100639
I don't even fucking know what to say anymore. You're not even following my points, let alone arguing them. It sounds like you're making this up as you go, and honestly, I just don't have the energy to compete with you. Look, my man, I'm going to give you this one. You won the argument, okay? Just please, stop depressing the buttons on your keyboard. It's hurting everyone around you. Think of your mom. She wouldn't want this.
>>
I don't understand. If the chimera ants were supposed to be so dangerous and powerful why didn't they send real top level hunters to deal with the problem?

They sent a bunch of rookies and a guy who was way past his prime. It's very possible that they should have been annihilated and their powers and nene absorbed to create even more powerful ants.
>>
>>134100960
Look, I don't want two Sasukurapikas running around, but if you're going to write up an awful backstory, at least have the decency to commit the character to it. "He didn't wanna be an assassin :^)" doesn't fuckin' fly.
>>
Lets make Gon fight Pitou because he killed his friend...
Oh shit, Pitou is too strong, I tottaly forgot about that! Oh i know, ill just put a little of asspull here a little there aaand Boom!! biggest asspull in the manga history ever, the usless GON reached the power of the most powerfull being in the history, even more that the old fag that trained his ass for like his entire life.
>>
>>134101193
>"He didn't wanna be an assassin :^)" doesn't fuckin' fly.
Why not?
>>
>>134091832
>The 2011 adaptation of Hunter x Hunter is revered by many as extraordinary; a monument of it's medium, and a masterpiece of it's genre.
it isn't.

there, that's your thread. you misunderstood people saying "I like this, check it out!" and thought they were calling it the best thing ever.
>>
>>134101216
>implying gon-san was as strong as meruem
retard
>>
>>134101150
>"I have incapacitated one of the strongest characters in the series currently"
Nothing to do with how strong he is, that's the way he designed his ability. Anyone could fucking do it if they were as bent on getting back at the Troupe as Kurapika.
>A character is suddenly able to defeat whoever he wants
Are you still talking about Kurapika? Did you miss the part where he absolutely fucking failed at what he was trying to do in the Yorkshin arc?
>>
>>134101276
I love it, I love the progression of the story and how it bonds the people together that gon meet on his way
>>
>>134101276
>it isn't.
It is, though. Find me one critic who doesn't hold it in high regard.
>>
>>134101216
It wasn't an asspull though you double nigger.
>>
>>134101248
Because that isn't how raising your children under an impossibly strict and long-honored upbringing works. They've been breeding cold-blooded assassins for many generations now, so one would assume they'd be good enough at it by now that one of their sprouts wouldn't say "eh, I dunno man, not for me" and walk off.
>>
>>134101327
>>134101330
>2011fags
I feel embarassed just reading these posts.
>>
>>134101411
ok
>>
>>134101400
>it's bad because he has a personality
>problem children don't exist
Come on. I know you're trying not to sound like a complete retard but you could at least try to make some sense.
>>
>>134101310
>nothing to do with how strong he is, he decided he could be strong enough to beat Uvogin, so he was

I wish Togashi had never written this miserable nen mechanic, holy cow.
>>
>>134101400
Your posts have gotten even worse since the beginning of the thread. How obtuse do you have to be to deny every piece of evidence given to you? Christ.
>>
>>134101400
>so one would assume they'd be good enough at it by now that one of their sprouts wouldn't say "eh, I dunno man, not for me" and walk off.
Seems like that assumption is wrong.
Illumi seems decent at it, MIlluki is a fat NEET otaku who almost never leaves his room, Killua ran away, Alluka got locked up and thinks he's a girl, Kalluto seems decent but is also crossdressing for no reason.
That's like 2 out of 5 and I'm being nice.
>>
File: Kurapika 1999.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Kurapika 1999.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>there are people who unironically believe that 2011 is good
>>
>>134101534
Kurapika decided to have his family massacred?
>>
these criticisms are all like college professor level shit

how about you lower your fucking standards, turbo nerds
>>
>>134101584
>college professor level shit
Are you retarded? The complains right now are "Kurapika's ability works so it's bad" and "Killua is a character"
>>
>>134101579
>99fag unprovokedly posts webm he believes to be impressive
nobody likes your nostalgia shit, accept it or get out.
>>
>>134101310, is what I meant to imply about kurapika, >>134101150
Regarding your lack of effort to engage in any of the other points, I don't really see what your point of reference is - you don't like combat shounens?

>>134101123
They are by and far not the weakest characters in the series although its getting very confusing as to where they are in the structure of the primary world ( not DC ) as they are clearly better than a good portion of the world's best ( Greed island arc comparisons ) but when compared to handpicked nen users (Knuckle and shoot) they are apparently weaker for canon. Basically I guess I shouldn't care because the fights are often not based on pure power.

DC pisses me off because despite all the world building and background ( where Gin has explored all and discovered most of the secret points ) we won't be able to explore most of that but instead we are going to be thrown into
the unknown arc so he can further develop the super high end power levels - which the series was never about up until this point.
>>
>>134101579
i agree the coloration and mood for the yorkshin in 99 is superior to many scenes in 2011
>>
>>134100998
One pieces the best. 0 ass pulls and everything is foreshadowed. Also best character interactions and best side characters
>>
>>134101663
>being both blind and autistic
I feel bad for you
>>
>>134101632
hahaha thank you
>>
>>134101813
Thank you.
>>
>>134101743
Greed Island was full of shitters, what are you talking about? This is directly explained. There were like a handful of people actually playing the game.
Gon also wasn't stronger than Genthru, he got his ass absolutely handed to him and only won because of Bisky's plan.
>where Gin has explored all and discovered most of the secret points
Ging has never been to the DC.
>so he can further develop the super high end power levels
How the fuck does this arc scream powerlevels to you? It's about politics.
>>
OP, if you're still here or check the thread later, please learn the difference between its and it's. I'm not particularly excellent at English and I'm not trying to invalidate your arguments. The issue is that you make this mistake so many times that it takes away from your arguments, because even on a subconscious level people will judge you based on your grammar.
>>
>>134101478
It's not about having a personality, you dink. How many Amish kids do you think hit age 12 and say "wow this sucks, I wish dad would let me have an iPhone"? That's not how strict family upbringings work, especially considering he barely left his family's company unless he was out killing someone. It sounds to me like, as with many of Hunter's random holes and flaws, you're trying to legitimize arguments like "probably ___" and "well I guess ___" to fill in the gaps. I'm not trying to tell you the show is shit, so I don't know why you're so desperately defending the validity of a pre-teen disobeying the only lifestyle he's ever known.

>>134101563
Illumi and Milluki both follow their families traditions, unlike Killua. I don't know what point you're making, but they only support my case. Alluka's been locked up alone his whole life, so I don't think he really counts.

>>134101583
What? No?

>>134101535
You'll have to forgive me, I've been sitting here for over four hours, and it seems to me like all the posters with articulate, intelligent and respectful arguments have vacated the thread. Give me a few more posts, maybe I'll deflate down to your name-slinging, shitposting level.
>>
>>134101330
find me one who calls it a "masterpiece".
>>
>>134101294
Go rewatch the episode fag, then come back and apologize.
>>
>>134101799
>0 ass pulls
I recall Sanji and Zoro having some asspulled abilities.
Also the whole "i trained for a weekend and now i have a convenient ability to defeat the big bad guy" shtick is pretty terrible.
I wouldn't go as far as to call most people in OP actual characters either.
>>
this is the worst thread on /a/ right now
>>
ayylmao@ 99' autismo anons
>>
>>134101962
Fuck man, that's my biggest problem, I swear. It's such an elementary mistake, I hate that I make it. I tell myself I'm gonna work on it, but I never do. Maybe someone calling me out on it will help. Thanks for looking out.
>>
>>134102072
>"i trained for a weekend
Wtf? The only training I remission when they trained for TWO WHOLE YEARS
>>
>>134102042
And why do you think they vacated the thread, exactly? "Killua is a character" and "the setting is consistent" aren't what I would consider arguments worth engaging with.
>>
File: hxh4.png (67 KB, 843x476) Image search: [Google]
hxh4.png
67 KB, 843x476
>>134101400
>impossibly strict and long-honored upbringing works.
That's not really what it's like though. Most family members aren't completely indoctrinated and have some individuality. Despite all the abuse, he was a relatively normal, happy kid as we see in flashbacks, he has butlers who love him and even technically had a friend in Canary before he met Gon, and the family isn't even strict enough on Killua to force him to stay during the rescue arc. There's obviously some level of freedom, despite the strict training.
>>
Was Gon only able to sacrifice his potential/future (against Pitou) because he's an Enhancer type?

It makes sense. He drastically enhances his entire being at the expense of his future.
>>
>>134101960
>full of shitters
Ahh I think we just have to differ in opinion for the end of time then. This kind of disconnect really stems the wonky disjointed world building that Togarashi has done. The selection for Greed Island is high end nen users from a pool of high end talent ( hunters ). Where else could I get any reasonable world-based comparison from?

What you're saying is, "They are shit because we saw they were shit," and what I'm arguin is that they HAVE to be at least middle upper class nen users in order to get in - that's the basis of Greed Island's existence.

>GIn
I'm referencing things outside of DC, otherwise known as the 'known world' in HxH. I'm trying to point out there were lots of places he could have taken the series without DC and that DC is going to further backburner GxK. Maybe that's a good thiing, but my knee jerk reaction was mad.

>its political
Sure, but also powerlevels ( son etc ). I mean there may be betrayals and yadda yadda, maybe it'll be good. Still don't care for it.

Basically I'm just mad that despite the huge world building, and context Togarashi has given to the world of Hunters we are going outside of that so that some tiny plot can play out that will likely be meaninglesss ( oh we got an artifact yeaaah! ).
>>134102068
he's not as strong as meruem though
oh well
>>
>>134102042
As far as i'm understanding, and correct me if i'm wrong, your point is "he shouldn't be friendly because that's not how he was raised". The entire point of his character is that he's not okay with that, and his interactions with Canary are what made him realize he actually did want to make friends.
Now i don't know much about psychology in children but rebellious phases aren't exactly rare. Have you really never heard of similar things about conservative households or something?
I'm not desesperate to defend it either, i'm just disagreeing with you. If that makes you angry you should probably take a break.
>>
>>134102042
>Illumi and Milluki both follow their families traditions
Illumi yes, Milluki no. He stays in his room all the time, probably watching anime and getting figurines delivered to his doorstep. He rarely does assassin work, you have proof of that when he asks his Dad for money (to be able to participate in the auction) in exchange for killing a few people, that clearly indicates he doesn't kill regularly at all.

Just like Killua went his own way, going out and making friends instead of being an assassin, Milluki went his own way into his room being a NEET.
>>
>>134101190
Because bad writing
>>
File: kurapika.gif (969 KB, 400x226) Image search: [Google]
kurapika.gif
969 KB, 400x226
>2011 being faithful to manga
>i-it does n-not feel r-right guys, you are autistic yall
>1999 version with additional lines of plot fillers
>True Version, the only version that matters. Welcome to the club where people has been cured from autism.
>>
>>134102170
Ah, that's true, huh? I forgot about the Canary stuff. I suppose that does lend some credence to the idea of him having enough individuality to run off on his own. I still don't really buy it 100%, but that is a detail I overlooked.

>>134102160
Did you see that? That was an insightful response to my proposal. It was backed by evidence, and he presented his thoughts concisely and articulately. Wasn't that nice? Wasn't that better than literally everything you've posted in the last hour or so?
>>
>>134092277
>subverting and making shounen tropes interesting is somehow a "fuck you" to shounen

What the fuck am I even reading.
>>
>>134102277
>The selection for Greed Island is high end nen users from a pool of high end talent ( hunters )
That was just from the guy who hired Gon and Killua. Anyone could get into Greed Island if they had some money to spare.
>Sure, but also powerlevels ( son etc ).
What? I really am trying to understand what you're talking about here.
>>
File: kuroro rain.gif (879 KB, 500x261) Image search: [Google]
kuroro rain.gif
879 KB, 500x261
>>134102344
>why don't you like my fillerfest, shit and outdated adaptation?!
99fags are literally autistic
>>
>>134102413
>money to spare
Ok i'm literally done, basically you're agreeing that the world building isn't consistent.
>powerlevels
All the characters are no longer of any importance to the plot because those recruited for DC will be much more powerful.
>>
>>134102357
THANK GOD I HAD TOGASHI'S MAGIC VICTORY TONIC
>>
>>134101190
Every other attempt to send hunters had been fucked with by Pariston who sent temp hunters instead. This is explained in the middle of the arc by Morel.
Also they weren't actually a big deal. The biggest problem was fixing the situation while keeping things as secret as possible.
>>
>>134102533
>Ok i'm literally done, basically you're agreeing that the world building isn't consistent.
What the fuck? That's literally what is said in the series. The obtainment rank is like F or something because all you need to get it is money. That's it. You don't need to be strong.
>All the characters are no longer of any importance to the plot because those recruited for DC will be much more powerful.
Did you actually read it? Even fucking Leorio is in it. It has nothing to do with powerlevels.
>>
File: what.jpg (126 KB, 852x478) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
126 KB, 852x478
>>134102344
>2011
>faithful to the manga
This is my favorite meme.
>>
>>134102537
Yes! That's a thing I said earlier! It was in context to the way in which characters in Hunter x Hunter, as well as most battle shounen series, receive big boosts in strength that allow them to defeat their opponents. I implied that the one-sided nature of Hunter's fights became somewhat repetitive and predictable. How does that make you feel? I want to get to know you better.
>>
>>134102710
Wanna hear something more heart shattering?
Plot fillers!
Joke of your lifetime!
>>
>>134102549
>keeping it secret
So you're assuming that Netero believed in no high level guys - sure - bad world building.
>f rank obtainment
I forgot they put 'f' on it, again what the fuck is an 'a' since they must use it in the 'normal-world' or else why have a scale that goes up to 'a'?
Are Kurta's eyes higher than Greed island cartridges? If so definitely world building fail.

>>134102654
>DC ark
There is no DC ark yet... its the build up to it. But ok, sure.
>>
>>134102710
>1999
>faithful to the manga
This is my favorite meme.
>>
>>134102763
You mean like episodes 76 and most of episode 85 of the 2011 adaptation? I agree, that was pretty hilarious.
>>
OP do you like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 88

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.