[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Manga, Anime, or Live Action versions being better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: solanin.jpg (88 KB, 337x496) Image search: [Google]
solanin.jpg
88 KB, 337x496
ITT: post the best version of a title, be that the mango, the animu, or the LA

I'm wondering about picrel specifically.

I'll contribute with Great Teacher Onizuka though, the Live Action show from the 90's is the quintessential onizuka for me, I liked it better than the manga or anime. Also the remake sucked ass.
>>
I'm not sure how many people even watch the live action versions.

Solanin as a manga is complete enough for me. I can't really speak for the live action.

The Old boy movie is apparently much better than the manga. Also, Ping Pong manga > live action > anime.
>>
I like the city hunter movie i guess
>>
>>134068858
Is that the live action show where Onizuka dodges a crashing 18 wheeler and they play it off all casual? That shit was hilarious.
>>
>>134068858
After reading Solanin I became very skeptical about all the hype surrounding OPP. My doubt was unfounded; Solanin is just a very poor showing of Inio Asano's talent. I have no idea how the live action version compares, but I wouldn't waste your time either way since the story is very generic regardless.

>>134070313
>Ping Pong manga > live action > anime
Oh? I just finished the anime today and thought it was stunning. Did you think the manga was beyond stunning, or were you not crazy about the anime?
>>
>>134070612
>Solanin is just a very poor showing of Inio Asano's talent
What makes you say that? I enjoyed it just as much as OPP. Certainly more than Nijigahara Holograph as well, but maybe that was just 2deep4me.
>>
>>134070612
Not him but I thought Ping Pong was a top tier adaptation. It actually made me salty Yusa didn't direct TekkonKinreet as well.
>>
Speed Racer, as if it isn't obvious.
That whole ending montage is the stuff anime is made of.

https://a.uguu.se/dilmlx.webm
>>
>>134070612
More the latter. I like Yuasa, but he didn't really work upon the series much and weakens some of the intentions in my opinion. The budget could have done with some work, and probably the lack of time the animators had was detrimental (Yuasa admitted this before it aired).

Honestly, Solanin is a much more well-rounded series than Punpun. I like Punpun, but it doesn't really match the feeling by Solanin and Solanin is more consistent. It might be generic, but definitely one of the standouts. Asano seems fixated on the whole struggling musician or mangaka, so I can't imagine how poor a show of his talent is from those. Even comparing stories from Garo and the 80s on the same kind of topic, I still think Asano does it better.

>>134070724
Hox is more salty he didn't decide to do Hanaotoko. And I agree. Ping Pong didn't really need or accommodate for creative freedom and that's what I really would've wanted from Yuasa.
>>
>>134070612
well i guess thats why is was such a short run. its the experience of one major event in her lifetime. i liked it, i felt the writer was giving you a glimpse into her life not the whole shabang like OPP
>>
Loved solanin live action i can still hear her voice in my ears.
I hope they do a pun pun live action I honestly think it can be done.
I have yet to see ping pong Live but am looking forward to it.
Another one i've seen is Boys on The Run
Ended a bit sooner than i liked but it was fun. and that theme song is addicting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJIQLRbB5MM
>>
>>134070313
>Also, Ping Pong manga > live action > anime

I know it's just opinions here, but god damn the Ping Pong anime was cosmic elder god tier.
>>
>>134070680
I didn't find anything compelling about the drama. The funny antics between the friends was, by a huge margin, the best part of it for me. The entire drama as I remember it was composed of two aspects: "my boyfriend is mopey" and "I don't know where I fit into this world". The first aspect had me rolling my eyes so hard and often I thought they might fall out of my skull, and the second one (a topic that I have nothing against when done well a la Welcome to the NHK) was hamfisted and cliched. So much media that is considered "seinen" deals with coming of age, childhood trauma, or find one's place in young adulthood, but Solanin had the emotional depth and nuance of something that was made for actual adolescent readers, and completely average ones at that.

>>134070789
>>134070965
Right? I'm already looking forward to rewatching it.
>>
Both of GTO's live action adaptations are great
>>
>>134071023 was meant to quote >>134070724
>>
>>134071023
I hope you realize that it was probably an enactment of something he'd planned in his teens. Punpun also, but more early 20s. He didn't even really get what he wrote about and planned like 10 years later when he finished it. He's commented it about it in his interviews. He's a completely different person now.

Sometimes, it's not how it's executed, but thinking about how the experiences the author had in putting the series together. That's really what I found interesting about Asano, and something he's actually lost. Reading about his background, you can get a feeling for the difficulties he's had.
>>
>>134071182
>He didn't even really get what he wrote about and planned like 10 years later when he finished it.
I don't understand what you're trying to say.
>>
>>134071304
He had every detail outlined and all he was doing was drawing faithfully to his plan. By the time he'd got towards the end, it's almost as if he couldn't even relate to the characters he'd imagined anymore. He has commented before on this detachment.
>>
>>134071473
Okay, what is your point? Is it that not even he thought it was any good? Why would realizing this fact change my opinion of the work in the slightest?
>>
>>134071023
maybe its because of the length. Drama in general works better when it builds up slowly, you dont get that with solanin.
>>
>>134068858
>>134070313

GTO and Solanin live action are tip-top tier.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.