[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come English dubbed anime is so god damn terrible? There
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7
File: confused.jpg (87 KB, 567x411) Image search: [Google]
confused.jpg
87 KB, 567x411
How come English dubbed anime is so god damn terrible? There's literally no excuse for how lazy it is, because the French, Germans, and even the Spanish dubs are lightyears ahead of English dubs.
I used to think that anime is just inherently better in Japanese, but after watching this, I've just come to the conclusion that Americans can't dub for shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAFcox4tvy4
>>
>>134057751
How's your of those languages do you actually speak regularly? It's hard to recognize shitty acting in a language you don't speak.
>>
>>134057814
>how many of those languages
Jesus, autocorrect.
>>
>>134057751
Kinda surprised by the French version. The voices are ok.
>>
>Olle, Olle, olle
>>
Dubbed anime doesn't make a lot of money so they can't afford good actors.
>>
>>134057751
They hire amateurs... they even fuck up on english names like Eren.
>Aah-ron
>>
The animax dub of K-ON literally sounds like iphone siri. they could've just had robots do the voiceovers and nobody would have known the difference
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n8jypyilWf1qmh0e6.png (117 KB, 296x256) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n8jypyilWf1qmh0e6.png
117 KB, 296x256
Because most Americans think anime is on par with Sesame Street, so they intentionally give them dopey, kid-friendly voices. It's so insulting!
>>
>>134058327
>tumblr
>>
There's also the stigma of dubbed anime always being worse than muh original Japanese (which is kinda true), so nobody watches dub.
>>
Most American voice actors got their start in theater, and in theater you have to talk and enunciate in a certain way so everyone can hear you. It sounds good on stage, but bad in dubbing
>>
>>134057814
I agree to a point, but there is also a certain level of emotion that you'll find more in the original voice acting than most dubs. Sure I can't speak japanese but I'll be damned if there aren't some moving moments in anime due only to the delivery of the voice acting.

But that's just me.
>>
We also hate it because we understand it.

Not only are the actors speaking to match lip flaps and dialogue that aren't natural, but the uncanny valley effect hits really fucking hard.

Just try dubbing yourself without changing the dialogue and matching the lip flaps. Unless it's a rambly exposition scene or emotional outburst, shit's hard.

I don't like dub, but I don't hate it because the efforts required are higher than you would expect
>>
>>134058682
I agree. when someone is passionate about something, it is clearly evident in their tone regardless of what language they're speaking.
>>
>German dub
>"Ja das past zu dir"

I don't even speak German and that was fucking gold
>>
>>134058682
They have those in dubs too. You're just put off by how cheesy it sounds to you when said in a language you actually understand.
>>
>>134058784
Too bad the german language will be dead soon
>>
>>134057751
Eh, it's a difference in priority. I mean, our dubbing sucks, but our homegrown cartoons usually have amazing voice actors. Why should we spend money on making other people profit rather than on our own?
>>
>>134058422
That stigma is really only among communities like this though. Your average Toonami watching Joe who's favorite anime is Attack on Titan and SAO isnt going to think the dub is terrible, because they dont want to watch in other languages. I have several friends who watch anime in varying degrees, and only one prefers watching in Japanese, and I have a couple that outright refuse to watch anything that isn't English, even a movie based on a series they absolutely loved.
>>
>>134058822
Japanese here, I think the original sounds fine and I once heard an Italian dub of Doraemon (I don't know Italian by the way) and the dub VAs nailed it. I also heard a German dub of Mitsubachi Maaya and Moomin and those sounded great too. Murrica just can't do dubs right.
>>
>>134058822
The problem is how often it sounds cheesy, there are really good dubs out there, but if it sounds like it was made for someone's audio tech final why bother with it?
>>
>>134058822
I liked the acting in shows like breaking bad and walking dead. they didn't put me off at all. I even liked the vampire hunter d dub.
>>
I hate the
>you only think that because you don't speak Japanese
argument. I watch so much anime in a week and have watched so much over the years, I've obviously developed my own tastes and sense for the language. It would be impossible not to.
>>
as a german, let me assure you that it sucks just as bad
>>
>>134058913
Honestly, I think it's less of a difference in talent and more of a cultural issue. I mean, I doubt any person who's not familiar with Japanese culture will understand half the tropes used in anime. Why would someone get embarrassed at someone else seeing their panties and why do she feel the need to beat that person up afterward? If you can't understand the scene, then you can't give out the proper voices and emotions for it. I mean, when we get proper localization where the translators get full control to localize the tropes and jokes for the western audience, we get utterly amazing dubs like Samurai Pizza Cats and Ghost Hunt. I presume if the voice actors understands the content, their acting gets considerably better.
>>
>>134059027
Which show do you have in mind?
>>
>>134057751
French is best. Olé, olé, olé!
>>
>>134059077
>Why would someone get embarrassed at someone else seeing their panties
>>
>>134059128
Anon, the west is filled with tv shows that has people that doesn't mind if people see them in their underwear. That shit runs rampant in drama.
>>
>>134059082
basically everything apart from hellsing, cowboy bebop and death note. most are somewhat acceptable but never better than the original. and the worst of the worst award goes to the likes of narutard n friends
>>
>>134059254
>the west is filled with tv shows that has people that doesn't mind if people see them in their underwear
Yeah but those characters aren't in middle/high school, are they? Seems like it would be a big deal at that age
>>
>>134058444
Do dub VAs even have education or training? I thought they were failed actors that only find work because the pay is too shitty for real actors.
>>
>>134059082
i mean the are localizing stuff like ramen to "potatoes with sauce" and how they handle honorifics is the cringiest thing ever
>>
>>134059365
>localizing stuff like ramen to "potatoes with sauce"
>potatoes with sauce
The fuck
>>
File: yotsuba-itai.jpg (61 KB, 468x317) Image search: [Google]
yotsuba-itai.jpg
61 KB, 468x317
>>134058416
I'm posting from my phone, so my reaction pics come from Google searching
>>
>>134059409
idd, they are also changing the characters names. for example theres not a single character in digimon that has his original name. and germany is probably the only shithole that calls luffy ruffy. ofc those are only the mainstream shows that i watched when i was younger and i never bothered to watch good shows translated but that says enough i think
>>
>>134059363
that's what I thought, too. don't real VAs do Disney movies and such where there are huge profits?
>>
>>134059612
>theres not a single character in digimon that has his original name
So you're telling me all anime gets the Conan treatment in German dubs?
>Jimmy Kudo etc
>>
>>134059362
And most western american don't really care too much about it. Look at some of the fashion that an average middle/high school student wear. Most importantly, if it was an accident, most normal people in the west will not go and beat up the person for stealing a peek. They'll just dust themselves off, accept/give and apology and be on their way. I mean, even on /a/, we have people constantly asking why do females constantly beat up the males about it. Now imagine how it feels for the voice actress whose suppose to act out a scene for a person that she does not understand. All she can do is emulate the original voice but without any of the necessary emotion and intonation for it.
>>
File: 1417962440343.gif (273 KB, 2192x1992) Image search: [Google]
1417962440343.gif
273 KB, 2192x1992
It's quite simple. Since America is basically the "top" country of the world, meaning it's the richest, most powerful and most influential, the entire rest of the world has a constant impulsive need to insult and belittle everything it does all the time in some bizarre attempt to feel better about themselves or something. It works because every country besides America can unite under the common banner of "not being on top". So even if American isn't actually really any better or worse than most other countries at something, they all still obsessed over it and circlejerk together like "hahaha lets all talk about how every country does this one thing amazingly EXCEPT AMERICA HAHAHA THEY SUCK WE'RE ALL SO AWESOME THOUGH".

It happened with Rome, it happened with Britain, it's happened with every single country in the world that has ever been the undisputed most powerful.
>>
>>134059667
>Jimmy Kudo
thats funny because in germany hes actually called Shinichi Kudo. no the name thing only applies to some of them.
>>
>>134059778
>frogposting
by the way I'm the OP who coincidentally happens to be American. go figure.
You don't have to be a non-american to know that the USA sucks cock
>>
I always assumed it was because the dubbers are some no-namers who get paid jack shit.
>>
>>134059667
to spice this a little bit up for you, here take the german naruto opening. im leaving now. keep it up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROnLZAntc1Q
>>
>>134059844
So you're a self-hating liberal faggot that thinks the rest of the world will accept you if you try really hard to fit in with them and insult America.
>>
>>134059778
frogshit;dr
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCyo4geEu-0
>>
>>134059881
though im cherrypicking here. many german openings are actually pretty awesome. like the digimon and one piece ones.
>>
The problem is we can't get any better actors but we can get good enough ones that sound like they're at least trying. Their unprofessional sexy-baby-voices ruin it, though—that's why they're no names. The solution is to get even worse actors. Think Resident Evil on Playstation. Dubs should go for the so-bad-it's-good angle.
>>
>>134058444
So, same as the Japs? Because Jap voice work also has roots on stage play.

Anime voice actors overact, more at 11.
>>
>>134059892
>murrica is the bestest country on the earths!
fuck off. you're an embarrassment
>>
File: 0f9.jpg (81 KB, 600x456) Image search: [Google]
0f9.jpg
81 KB, 600x456
>>134060014
>p-pls yurop! I'm a good american! I'm so sorry I couldn't be born in the same place as you but I swear im different! Look at the way I say america is the ONLY country with bad dubs but all glorious european countries have amazing ones because they're just so much better than us! Please don't call me fat on the internet!
>>
>>134060082
What's so great about the United States then? Do you honestly think that GDP is a good way to determine how good a country is?
>>
I don't understand how people can say that PS&G's dub is insanely vulgar and thus worse than the original when the fucking show itself is vulgar incarnate in the first place.
>>
>OLE OLE OLE

also mandarin sounds so harsh compared to other east asian languages it's like the german of asia
>>
>>134060239
>All that cursing in Engrish

It was adorable as fuck, man.
>>
The Americans that think they're a lost tribe of Europoors among Amuricans are as embarrassing as the MURCIA#1 crowd.
Learn to have a sensible level of patriotism you stupid Yanks
>>
>>134060239
Really? People complained about PS&G?

when this exists?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwaPSkjXp0
>>
>>134059612
> that calls luffy ruffy
Sweden does that too. Sounds much better, to be honest. Ruffy sounds like an actual pirate name, while Luffy sounds like some random hobo or a dog.
>>
>>134060199
Oh should I be basing it on how well they dub japanese cartoons like you? Even though you don't even speak most of those other languages and are thus just assuming they must be amazing because they aren't made in America?

And I don't recall ever talking about how "great" or "good" america is, that's you projecting your own obsession and insecurity onto me. I said it was the richest, most powerful and most influential. Which are indisputable facts that only a straight up delusional moron would try to deny. That doesn't make it good or bad but it's undeniably on top, which throughout history has always caused other countries to come together and hate whoever currently is on top.

Finally for the sake of simplicity i'm just gonna lay my thoughts on this issue out here. Most dubs suck ass. 99% of dubs, no matter where they come from, suck ass. Every once in a while when the stars align just right a good dub can be made, and it can come from anywhere. Only retards who spend too much time on /int/ or taking part in /int/-like arguments sweepingly believes all of something from 1 country is always awful and all of something from every other country is always good.
>>
Anime has a lot of onomatopoeia and stock phrases that don't translate well.

That and once the American economy crashed in '08, a lot of localization companies either cut back or went under which caused a really sharp decline in the quality of dubs - I remember School Rumble's actually being quite good.
>>
>>134060571
School Rumble's dub was amazing. There are times where I actually prefer listening to the English voices over the Japanese ones.
>>
>>134057751
At least English dubs are still better than Cantonese dubs.
>>
>>134060517
>Oh should I be basing it on how well they dub japanese cartoons like you?
i'm basing it off the laws, government, education, etc. Only in the USA, is a candidate who openly believes that evolution is an elaborate lie, a viable candidate for presidency.
>>
>>134060867
The USA is literally the only country in the entire world that has lots of stupid religious people.
>>
File: 1430000517014.jpg (62 KB, 660x572) Image search: [Google]
1430000517014.jpg
62 KB, 660x572
>>134060867
And this belief of yours lead you to come to 4chan anime & manga board to tell people about it, why exactly?
>>
>>134060867
Anyone can be a viable candidate for presidency. But that does not mean they can actually become president. Besides, have you seen other nation's elections? If you think US elections are bad, you really have no idea how much worse the others are.
>>
>>134061111
>The USA is literally the only country in the entire world that has lots of stupid religious people.
>literally the only country

it's like you haven't watched any news program since 2001
>>
>>134061111
>what is syria
>what is israel
>>
>>134061239
>>134061284
>newfags can't into sarcasm
And no that wasn't even my post
>>
File: 25617446_p0.jpg (36 KB, 598x752) Image search: [Google]
25617446_p0.jpg
36 KB, 598x752
usually cant watch dubs but the one for Hare+Guu was tolerable, same with NANA
worst dub i've had to subject myself to would definitely be Full Moon wo Sagashite
>>
>>134061324
how was that sarcastic?
>>
>>134061453
Let me change his post up a little bit for you
>The USA is literally the only country in the entire world that has lots of stupid religious people.
Does the greentext make it a bit more obvious?
>>
>>134061239
>>134061284
>>134061453
I was using a thing called "sarcasm".
I said something that was obviously incorrect, "There are no stupid religious people outside of the USA" but which was implied by "Only in the USA, is a candidate who openly believes that evolution is an elaborate lie, a viable candidate for presidency".
This would have made a non-autistic brain, as possessed by this guy >>134061324, see that I was pointing out an error in the idea that only in the USA could someone who doesn't believe in the theory of evolution be a viable candidate for head of state and thus that America is uniquely terrible in this regard.

And I'm well aware of stupid religious people outside of the USA seeing as I know people from High School who've been murdered in sectarian incidents and I don't live in anywhere near the worst place for it
>>
>>134061284
isnt israel the country with the most atheists?
not even kidding
>>
>>134057751
Are there any good japanese dubs?
>>
>>134058822
I've listened to good English voice acting. It's not that hard to find. Video games have plenty of it.
>>
>>134058444
>implying
Theater actors are god-tier.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.