[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shigurui
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: Shigurui_manga.jpg (78 KB, 207x300) Image search: [Google]
Shigurui_manga.jpg
78 KB, 207x300
This manga is pretty weird.

How does /a/ feel about it?
>>
Some tasteless faggot once told me it was better than Vagabond, so I've been meaning to read it. Can anyone whose read both confirm?
>>
>>134008170
I really like both.

Shigurui is great in its own way.
>>
It's really gay.
It's quite gory.
And it does not hide how fucked up feudal japan and concept of samurai really is.

All in all, it's interesting
>>
>>134008170
I wouldn't call tasteless anyone who read both Vagabond and Shigurui.
>>
>>134008018
It's good. Great art, good revenge plot line, cool characters. The ending was rushed which sucks. It's 15 volumes so won't take too long to read, give it a try at least.
>>
>>134008018
Takayuki Yamaguchi is pretty great.

Exoskull Zero > Shigurui > Apocalypse Zero
>>
>>134008420
>The ending was rushed which sucks.
It wasn't tho, shit was perfect.
>>
>>134008491
The writer spent a whole lot of time building up the backstories of all these side characters only to never use them when it came time for the final fight. Also the final fight was like 1 or 2 chapters long, compared to their earlier fight which was 2 volumes.
>>
>>134008018
Read it all, it actually gets better and better.
>>
>>134008633
What was the point of that fucking toad anyway?
Like, the most out of place mini-arc for me
>>
>>134008170
Shigurui has the better characters, fights, and pacing.

holy fuck does vagabond have terrible pacing.
>>
Pretty much the saddest manga I've read to date. No one in the story was really likable, as every single person was either fucked up or batshit insane. The scariest part about it was that all of it seemed completely grounded in reality so this collection of people with shitty lives during this period were just among thousands of others who probably had similar fates.

The art is also phenomenal.
>>
>>134008640
I will but shit is making me cringe at times, yo.
>>
>>134008769
apparently him and the penis clit chick where characters from the book the manga was based on.

I guess he either put them in as a shout out or he had plans to expand upon them like he did with blindy and armless but scrapped the plans as the series went on.
>>
>>134008018
Great build up of hate between the two main characters
>>
>>134008769
I don't get it either. They introduced him, he became bad ass, then they showed him a in the crowd in the final battle, then it ended. His arc never ended.
>>
>>134008297
A guy also gets a fairly serious infection in his hand because he breaks some guy's faces with his bare hands including knocking most of their teeth out, one of which gets stuck in his hand, leading to the infection.

Kogan is also crazier than a shit house rat, and cool at the same time. Often for the same reasons. He's still a badass even though he's senile, but he's scary because he's a spring loaded murder machine, that is senile. Like, he's not even making rational decisions anymore. I don't think he ever does anything that is strictly rational or really the result of him thinking in the entire story. It's all reflexes and muscle memory and the deeply ingrained responses of a lifetime of absolute and automatic responses.

The fact that he both does not have to think to kill you, and how strange and frightening that is. He will kill you without thinking about it, and with no hesitation whatsoever.
>>
File: 1448279684272.png (2 MB, 2183x1600) Image search: [Google]
1448279684272.png
2 MB, 2183x1600
Hypest fight?
>>
>>134009034
When he visits Kengyou during one of his clear headed moments, who outranks him, he acts as expected of him and makes sure to save face.
Of course, he then rampages like an animal back in the estate
>>
>>134008633
The books weren't fully adapted
>>
>>134008018
It felt as if the author of Baki decided to draw a samurai story inspired by Ayako.
>>
>>134008170
better than vabagond? no, better than blade of the immortal? yes
>>
10/10
>>
File: 1421200931713.png (139 KB, 308x765) Image search: [Google]
1421200931713.png
139 KB, 308x765
>>134009036
>This will never be put to animation
Life is suffering
>>
>>134008170
The last volume is bleh, was not worth the 1-2 year wait.
It sets up alot of subplots but the last volume says fuck that and leaves shit hanging.
>>
>>134013755
really the only weak parts were a couple volumes of setup that didn't get a chance to pay off. The ending while weirdly quick is thematically strong and leaves you with the same whiplash as the main character.

all around a gay fascist guro comic tho
>>
>>134008018
Shigurui is the only anime/manga that I would call art with a plain and serious face
>>
Almost finished the manga but how is the anime? Heard Madhouse adapted it so it should be decent right?
>>
File: 1433262857104.jpg (99 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1433262857104.jpg
99 KB, 640x480
>>134009034
>It's all reflexes and muscle memory and the deeply ingrained responses of a lifetime of absolute and automatic responses.

>mfw this is me ever since I died in 2010.
>>
>>134017306
Anime is 10/10.
Only anime ever that I forced people to watch with me.
>>
>>134017306
It's missing the ending
>>
>>134008170
I've read both and I agree with him.
>>
>>134008170
Someone also once told me this, so I did go and read it.

I would definitely not call it as good or better than Vagabond, not even close.

It is however, still good on it's own, much better than the average manga. Try to go into it not comparing it to vagabond but just judging it on its own merit. It is a very different piece.
>>
>>134017306
THe parts it's animated are god but the anime doesn't get anywhere close to the best bits of the manga.
>>
>>134008018
Only anime series I've ever watched. It was pretty damn good.
As for the manga I do not know.
>>
>>134008018
is that the unicorn gundAM?
>>
>>134013721
It already was animated though.
>>
>>134017306
The anime was directed by Hiroshi Hamazaki which is really skilled with the use of silence and slow panning shots, which fits perfectly for Shigurui, plus the music is fucking 10/10. The only things holding it back from being perfect would be a lack of narration in some scenes (not a problem if you've read the manga though) and that it's not finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1zovwy51p0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L61RvmfqPwU
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.