[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this show so negative? Don't Japanese people like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 14
File: Neon_Genesis_Evangelion.jpg (3 MB, 2614x1639) Image search: [Google]
Neon_Genesis_Evangelion.jpg
3 MB, 2614x1639
Why is this show so negative? Don't Japanese people like to be happy?
>>
It has a very positive ending.
>>
>>133976100
It broke the norms of other mecha anime at it's time. Rather than an MC who was super confident and could do anything, we got Shinji.
>>
>>133976646

Gendo just wanted a son to play catch with.
>>
File: 1339135908201.jpg (27 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
1339135908201.jpg
27 KB, 704x480
>>133976683
Gendo did anything to advance his sick agenda, even if it meant sacrificing innocent lives and even his own son. At least he had good taste in clones, though.
>>
>>133976100
>>133976143
>>
>>133976100
anno was depressed while making it. duh.
>>
Um, Japan has one of the highest suicide rates in the world.
>>
>>133976100
Anon, please. The vast majority of animes are happy shonen where nobody die and even if someone die, not really. And with happy end as even Disney can't challenge
>>
>>133976766
Rei a shit
>>
>>133977229

No, that's Sweden. I guess being a fag is rough on people.
>>
Some people just love edgy shit for some reason.
>>
>>133976100
I honestly don't feel like NGE is depressing.
>>
File: 1334042237864.gif (3 MB, 220x122) Image search: [Google]
1334042237864.gif
3 MB, 220x122
>>133977508
I love it
>>
>>133977550
why not?
>>
File: Suicide-deaths-per-100000-trend.jpg (119 KB, 882x459) Image search: [Google]
Suicide-deaths-per-100000-trend.jpg
119 KB, 882x459
>>133977462
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate
>17 Japan
>50 United States
>58 Sweden

U wot, m8?

Also, pic related.
(What the fuck is up with that spike in '97?)
>>
>>133977716
>What the fuck is up with that spike in '97?
Holy shit it was EoE
>>
File: smugface5.jpg (23 KB, 234x250) Image search: [Google]
smugface5.jpg
23 KB, 234x250
>>133977716
>suicide rates plummet and then bottom out while Japan's economy collapses
>>133977987
>then it spikes when the most nihilistic piece of art ever conceived is made
I always didn't agree with the whole positive message, 'good' ending theory; I've always seen this film as one artist's way of saying "FUCK EVERYTHING." And finally, I think I have my proof now.
>>
>>133977987
Something tells me there was a change in how the statistics were collected or policy on what counted as a suicide. My fairly limited knowledge of statistics tell me that an increase of a full third in a single year is nearly impossible, especially given that there were no particularly bad events that year.
>>
>>133978307
>Something tells me there was a change in how the statistics were collected or policy on what counted as a suicide.
Becoming tang now counts as suicide.
>>
>>133977716
Why did Switzerland use to have have such a high suicide rate?
>>
>>133978273
A first time, superficial viewing of the film is likely to give the impression that everything went to shit and that the ending is a catastrophe, especially among a young audience.
>>
>>133978466
They were doing really good and people were bored as fuck with their perfect lives. Same goes for Norway.
Also, it's cold and you never see the sun.
>>
>>133978523
>Also, it's cold and you never see the sun.
You're mixing up Sweden and Switzerland, aren't you? It's not that cold, we get almost Mediterranean climate in the Southern parts.
>>
>>133978307
Japanese count unsolved murders as suicides
>>
>>133978588
>You're mixing up Sweden and Switzerland, aren't you?
Fuck, you're right.
>>
File: 2014.png (123 KB, 677x833) Image search: [Google]
2014.png
123 KB, 677x833
>>133977229
No
>>
>>133979401
It's the third highest of any developed nation, and that's counting Russia as a developed nation. It's pretty high.
>>
>>133979401
What the actual fuck, South Korea?
>>
>>133979401
What is going on in SK?
>>
>>133980374
The school system is absolutely fucked. Students are expected to study at ridiculous hours just to get ahead on their tests. A student at a high-profile school will get an average of 3 hours of sleep a night. On a good day. The government even proposed 24-hour institutions, but they came under negative press from the public. Essentially, teenagers are killing themselves out of exhaustion.
>>
File: 987654.jpg (106 KB, 827x617) Image search: [Google]
987654.jpg
106 KB, 827x617
What exactly is this?
>>
Is Sephirotic around?
>>
>>133979401
Feels like I understand gook shit a little more.
>>
>>133981330

You can't ever fully understand it, though. Jap is so different from English that a lot gets lost in translation. Why we outsiders bother watching their toons is strange in and of itself.
>>
>>133981648
'Cause we're weebs?
>>
>>133981212
A winged and headless angel statue?
>>
>>133982727
It probably didn't look like a melted xenomorph before that became the shore of Lake Ayanami.
>>
>>133976143
Not according to Anno and the staff.
>>
>>133976646
Did you even watch mecha?

Amuro was traumatized and Kamille was a legitimate super violent autist.
>>
>>133983790
There's literally a scene where the cast is congratulating Shinji, how is that not positive?
>>
>>133976143
Yeah real positive ending. Some little whiney faggot gained confidence to not be a little whiney faggot 24/7. All it cost was billions of human lives and Earth's ecosystem.

Not that I don't like it. I'm just saiyan.
>>
>>133982727
yea, but why does it come up every now and then?
>>
>>133976143
>Le Eva actually has a happy ending meme

It saddens me that so many people legitimately and non ironically see it that way.
>>
>>133983826
They're Eva fags, of course they don't.
>>
>>133977643
Yeah, seriously, there isn't a more negative anime in existence. It pretty much criticises all the reasons any of its characters would have to hope or see themselves as decent people. I don't get how or why people pretend otherwise.
>>
>>133985384
It only came up in Kaworu's episode
>>
>>133985804
I remember seeing it randomly throughout the series, Rebuild, and specially in Death ending.
>>
>>133986722
It's first shown in Kaworu's episode and then only used afterwards as a reference to him.
It never showed up in Rebuild.
>>
>>133985384
>>133985804
>>133986722
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/9337/Petrified-Mass-Production-Eva-before-Air/
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Episode_24
>>
>>133986830
The MP Evas hadn't even been designed or created when the rock statue first showed up in ep 24.
It's just a rock in the shape of a headless angel, meant to mimic and represent Kaworu.
>>
what's with that pill Misato takes?
>>
>>133987608
You mean the capsule containing Kaji's notes he snuck her by slight-of-tongue?
>>
>>133976100
Anno was depressed after Nadia thus Eva.
>>
>>133980005
Imagine the stereotypical ultra-strict Asian parents. That's essentially how South Korea's society is structured.
>>
>>133987976
wow, I need to rewatch it cuz I have no idea what you talking about, too many details man
>>
>>133988137
It's spy stuff but not all that mysterious. Rei's pills, though; no fucking idea.
>>
>>133976100
It did have a supposed happy ending but all the whiny faggots didn't like it and and Anno was driven deeper into depression and and was pressured to create the EoE.
>>
File: 1392930897124.jpg (36 KB, 667x548) Image search: [Google]
1392930897124.jpg
36 KB, 667x548
>if a show doesn't shit out a stereotypical, straightforward Disney-style fairy tale ending onto a silver platter for you then it's automatically not a happy ending

Plebeians get the fuck out.
>>
>>133976100
A worldwide survey positied many questions to people of all ages

Japan in partiuclar had quite a few outlier answers in regards to self-worth even among Asian nations, much less the rest of the world.

In Japan your success is attributed to those who brought you up while failures are placed squarely upon your shoulders.

"This student's a genius, his parents did a good job raising him! This kid is dumb though, he's such a failure."

It extrapolates beyond school of course, well into the self-defeating miserable business world. The work environment of the Japanese is far from anything I've ever seen in any nation.

As an example, base employees at office jobs will generally feel compelled to remain at work, off the clock, working, so long as their boss remains.

That boss in turn remains until his boss leaves.

If your boss invites you for drinks it is very rude to reject the invitation for any reason. Post-job binge drinking parties are fun for the first few times but their cumulative expense and the taxing labor that goes into having them so often takes a lot out of the base employees.

I could go on but there's a character limit and I doubt anyone even read this post in the first place.
>>
File: AKB.jpg (25 KB, 605x336) Image search: [Google]
AKB.jpg
25 KB, 605x336
>>133976100
Japanese people want to run away from their problems so their entertainment tend to be shameless wish-fulfillment. Only a nation as depressed as Japan could create idols and waifu faggotry.

Frankly, I find the seasonal haremshit way more depressive than Eva ever was. The audience and the creators of the former just gave up on every sense of the word
>>
>>133988644
What would happen if smeone does reject such an invitation tho? would they lose their job?
>>
>>133988592
DUDE, that shit was deep. I finished rewatching the series today and thought to myself how cheesy and naïve that whole Omedetou shit was and started giggling. I had this reaction cuz my mindset was revolving on this ironic Anno giving this ultimate joke to end the series with a fuckin slap on our faces. But now that you mentioned this supposed happy ending I started feeling such empathy for a supposed depressed Anno trying to cope up with all this negativity and actually trying to convey a positive message and just getting eaten by the bottomless pit again afterwards. It's the ultimate template for someone trying to beat depression, how those people sometimes get childish-like trying to cope with something so dreadful.
>>
>>133983790
Death and Rebirth of the author.
>>
>>133976646
>It broke the norms of other mecha anime at it's time.
Nice joke.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 456x570) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 456x570
I want to fuck usaka
>>
>>133988803
Any inconvenient person in Japan is almost always given the same treatment.

People will start by feigning that you don't exist, completely ostracizing you. It's a very, very passive (aggressive) society that's obsessed with saving face.

One of the most basic values ingrained in Japanese children is to "never inconvenience anyone ever" which is why as a nation they're so polite, at least to your face.

Losing your job is a rather rare occurance for a variety of reasons. It's essentially a prolonged death sentence as nearly every office worker works at one job all their life, the one that hires them directly out of college/high school.

I'm not talking about low end jobs like working at a convenience store. People who work at such low end jobs without benefits like that typically don't even put in full time and are referred to as "freeters"

Freeters, hikkikomoris, anyone who breaks the norm is conisdered a burden to society, and anyone who is guilty of lowering social standards and not working for the greater good is looked down upon sharply.

It's unlikely that they'd go so far as to fire you outright but you won't be well liked. If you're outwardly disliked enough you might find people looking for reasons to get rid of you, legit or otherwise.
>>
>>133989003
>Freeters, hikkikomoris, anyone who breaks the norm is conisdered a burden to society, and anyone who is guilty of lowering social standards and not working for the greater good is looked down upon sharply.
I feel awful now
>>
File: 011 (6).jpg (215 KB, 752x1153) Image search: [Google]
011 (6).jpg
215 KB, 752x1153
Why did he become a coward?
>>
>>133989003
>anyone who is guilty of lowering social standards and not working for the greater good is looked down upon sharply.

I guess that means that's their answer to the question of wether society exists for the individual, or vice versa.
>>
>>133989134
>>133989345
It's a Japanese-specific thing.

The United States of Benefits doesn't give a shit, seeing as my brother is collecting cash from the government for "unemployment" while working under the table at a job, not paying taxes.

America is a very personalized selfish, rude society that fosters competition while Japan emphasizes order and efficiency.
>>
>>133989335
why you didn't watch the damn show?
>>
File: Japan-meiji.gif (113 KB, 306x380) Image search: [Google]
Japan-meiji.gif
113 KB, 306x380
I seriously doubt Japan would achieve anything at all without its brutal culture. They'd be just another Asian nation submitted to China The problem is they kinda lost their minds as a nation
>>
>>133989335
Oh I forgot to mention

Japanese children a prone to developing a complex about their father since he's never home but instead at work waiting for his boss to finish...and his boss to finish, then go out drinking.

In Earthbound (Mother 2) the videogame the child retains a strong connection to his father but he does so exclusively through the phone while he's at work.

Also see literally every anime where the parents aren't around.
>>
>>133989134
You shouldn't. There isn't any fundamental need to work as much as we do now and there aren't logistically enough full time jobs for everyone. Expecting society to 'make work' for all through capitalist enterprise is a complete nightmare, and make less sense the more efficient we become. That society values the actually difficult, high level jobs that are necessary to make everything work and handle disaster is a very good thing, but it shouldn't be necessary for all to be burdened with the social cost of this.
>>
>>133989623
>I seriously doubt Japan would achieve anything at all without its brutal culture.
I wonder how much truth there is to this. I've little doubt that this is partially why that have so much comparative success, to both other Asian countries and the west, but I feel they could get away with relaxing some of their more crazy practices and benefit from it greatly.

>>133988644
>As an example, base employees at office jobs will generally feel compelled to remain at work, off the clock, working, so long as their boss remains.
>That boss in turn remains until his boss leaves.

You see, I hate this as much as I recognise the 'sense' in it. If everyone has it at least as bad as their boss, then being the boss becomes a naturally more prestigious position to be in. This sucks for everyone way more than it needs to, but the quality of a given society depends much on the greatness of its greater men, and if you can get by ok begin relatively lazy in a lower position then there's less incentive to develop to be no less great then you can be.

The flip side is that, in modern society, especially in America, the more freedom you have from other responsibilities, the more opportunities you have to do your own thing, achieve something unique and be a self made man.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.