[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was KyoAni's best show? Hint: It was Lucky Star
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 14
File: kyotoani.png (725 KB, 850x478) Image search: [Google]
kyotoani.png
725 KB, 850x478
What was KyoAni's best show?

Hint: It was Lucky Star
>>
Nichijou
>>
>>133943088
Haruhi
>>
>>133943088
Keit-ai.
>>
What if it was actually Chuunis?
>>
>>133943088
Can you give me another hint?
>>
File: yuuko.gif (446 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
yuuko.gif
446 KB, 500x500
>>133943212
Seconded.
>>
Hyouka
>>
K-On!
>>
File: ehhh.png (67 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
ehhh.png
67 KB, 500x400
>>133943337
ehhhh?
>>
>>133943652
mah nigga
>>
>>133943251
I agree with this faggot. Disappearance is included with the series because fucks you all and it has a fucking masterpiece.
>>
Lucky Star is definitely the best.
>Comfy art style
>Actually good
>Memorable and likable characters
>Good music
>Extensive fan base
>>
File: 1295299167754.jpg (3 KB, 126x127) Image search: [Google]
1295299167754.jpg
3 KB, 126x127
>mfw I tried watching LS back in 2007 but dropped it after the first ep
My tastes have changed since then.
Is it a funny show? I've been looking for some funny, and comfy show to watch lately.
This thread reminded me I never finished LS.
>>
File: hyouka011.jpg (36 KB, 576x324) Image search: [Google]
hyouka011.jpg
36 KB, 576x324
It is indisputably Hyouka, closely followed by Eupho.
>>
>>133946011
I've heard lots of stories of people disliking it back in the day only for it to become one of their favourites later on. Go for it, Jim.
>>
Bakemonogatari
>>
>>133943088
Chunibyo by far.
>>
Kanon
>>
>>133946011
It's quite funny, but it's more comfy than funny. A lot of people didn't like the first episode, though, because an eight-minute discussion about pastry is bound to be divisive. You should definitely try it again. If you still don't like it after five or six episodes, you can stop because it doesn't really get any better after that.
>>
>>133946011
The first episode is the worst and the second only marginally better. It improves from there though.
>>
i really liked Tamako Market
it had the best parent love story i think iv ever seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRk2QjTm5g
>>
>>133946170
>>133946444
>>133946500
Okay, downloading BD now.
>>
Lucky Star jokes don't work anymore.

Lucky Star = obsolete anime
>>
>>133946011
Funny that's what I did to Gurren Lagann in 2007. LS was better.
>>
It's impossible to proclaim a best when the opinions of Kyotards are the equivalent of a paste-eating kindergarten student.
>>
>>133946541
I like Tamako Market a lot too, but I think a lot of that comes from it feeling kinda like K-On!
The movie though, fucking awesome.
>>
File: 1446124242569.png (114 KB, 760x805) Image search: [Google]
1446124242569.png
114 KB, 760x805
K-On! is my favorite anime, so I'm biased towards that.
Lucky Star is my second favorite kyoani anime, and easily in my top 10 favorite anime.
Tamako Market is my third, and Kyoukai no Kanata is my fourth favorite Kyoani.
>>
>>133946541
Tamako Market stinks of lost potential for me. It's still a good show, but what could have been a god tier atmospheric slice of life about a shopping arcade was instead turned into a pretty good show about a bird, a girl and her family, and some people from an island, with the shopping arcade and the people of the shopping arcade taking a back seat. Again, still a good show, but it could have been GOAT tier.
>>
>>133946594
If you're complaining that the references are outdated, Lucky Star was the first anime I ever watched, and I only got one reference in the entire series (the Initial D scene), and I still loved it. So you don't need to get the references to enjoy Lucky Star.
>>
>>133947107
Yeah, the only thing separating it from god tier is the islander subplot in the last two episodes.
I'm guessing it was probably planned to have a second season but sales brought that down to a movie.
>>
>>133947251
>Yeah, the only thing separating it from god tier is the islander subplot in the last two episodes.
It's not just the last two episodes, it's the entire existence of the subplot that brings it down. Dera is far to important for a comic relief character, has essentially no development, and consistently skews the mood of pretty much any scene he's in. He didn't kill the show for me, and I don't think he's the worst thing ever, but the show would be better if he didn't exist.
>>
>>133947417
I liked Dera. I actually didn't enjoy the movie as much as the series because he wasn't there. I think he ties in a lot of characters pretty well. His narcissism needed to be toned down a bit though.
The last two episodes when all the characters suddenly become retarded about letting Tamako go to some remote island to get married is the only real complaint I have with the show.
>>
>>133943088
K-ON!

>>133944719
Disappearance is a masterpiece, but the TV series is awful.
>>
>>133947523
I guess we just disagree. I think Tamako Love Story is fantastic and I didn't miss Dera a bit. I don't see how he ties in with the characters at all to be honest, in fact, I often found him quite distracting.
Seriously though, how does he help with characterization? He says a few random wise things on occasion but basically any other generic wise character like the barista or the grandpa could have done the same exact thing.
>>
>>133947683
>He says a few random wise things on occasion but basically any other generic wise character like the barista or the grandpa could have done the same exact thing.
They could have, but that was Dera's job. A slight problem would arise, Dera would say something using mostly common sense, and the characters learn and develop. If he wasn't there, there'd be no anchor to the problems they had and it would feel more disjointed.
Basically he brings some sort of consistency to the story. Smooths it out instead of characters having epiphanies like Tamako randomly realizing she liked Mochizou in the movie because she suddenly remembered something in the past.
>>
File: 1443164109894.jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1443164109894.jpg
47 KB, 640x480
>>133943652
Great taste.
>>
>>133947889
I literally just offered two characters who could do that exact thing to literally no detriment whatsoever. No problem would arise whatsoever.
Also, Tamako's epiphany in Love Story is spurred on by Midori's deception. It's hardly random.
>>
>>133943088
Patrician taste, my friend.
>>
>>133948019
>I literally just offered two characters who could do that exact thing to literally no detriment whatsoever.
They can't because they are only connected to Tamako. Dera is connected to everybody in the story.
>Also, Tamako's epiphany in Love Story is spurred on by Midori's deception. It's hardly random.
That was just getting Tamako off her ass to actually return Mochizou's confession. She already knew she liked him at that point. There was no build up in the series for their romance and it fell flat, in my opinion. Midori losing in the series was more emotional than the movie. It was an obvious cash-in by Kyoani and saving what they can since the TV series flopped, just like KnK.
>>
>>133948199
Dude it took Tamako like two thirds of the movie to come to terms with her feelings, it wasn't random or sudden. It isn't that Tamako started having feeling for him right there out of the blue, it's that Tamako never paid attention to romantic love in her own life, and when Mochi confessed it made her start thinking about it, and when she started thinking about romance, she started thinking about Mochizou as a partner as well.
>>
>>133948199
>They can't because they are only connected to Tamako. Dera is connected to everybody in the story.
All of the characters are scene in the cafe on a regular basis. It's not a stretch to think the barista would know them just as well as Dera would (and probably better), with the exception of Shiori.
>>
>>133948407
>Dude it took Tamako like two thirds of the movie to come to terms with her feelings
How she came to terms with her feelings was completely random. Tamako randomly remembered about that one time Mochizou tried to cheer her up when her mom died and that's how the conflict was solved.
It would be fine if it was foreshadowed in the series, but it was completely out of the blue in the movie and it felt way too convenient and it didn't feel natural.

>>133948451
The barista might work, but he's even more dull than Dera. If the cast was more centered around the main girls like K-On!, they could just remove Dera and the subplot and the girls could support themselves, but everyone is a side character compared to Tamako.
>>
>>133948596
>Tamako randomly remembered about that one time Mochizou tried to cheer her up when her mom died and that's how the conflict was solved.
That was just the thing that cemented it for her. She was already getting to that conclusion anyway, that wasn't the only reason for it.
Also, she thought the person who had done that for her was her father or grandfather, people who have always been there for her and who she never wanted to leave. Her remembering that it was Mochizou made her realize that he had always been there for her too and that she never wanted him to leave either. At least, that's how I see it.

>The barista might work, but he's even more dull than Dera.
That's only because he's underdeveloped, which is another problem you can fix by taking Dera out of the story.
>>
Lucky Star is objectively better than K-On.

Fight me.
>>
>>133946011
They fired the director of the first four episodes and most people agree the series greatly picked up from there. I actually enjoyed the first four episodes, if you can't handle extended conversations about comfy topics like pastries done in a cute manner, maybe SOL isn't the genre for you. It was accurate to the manga, too.
>>
>>133948745
>She was already getting to that conclusion anyway
Yeah, it wasn't the SOLE reason, but it definitely needed fleshed out more, builded upon more and made it more impactful. It felt like a very run-of-the-mill confession and love story made for shipperfags.
>That's only because he's underdeveloped
Potentially. His personality is very boring though. It would be easier to tweak Dera's personality to make him less obnoxious.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>133943088
What a coincidence, I was just there last Sunday.
>>
>>133948882
I never really saw a huge difference between the first episodes and later.
>>
File: Hakase.gif (132 KB, 500x336) Image search: [Google]
Hakase.gif
132 KB, 500x336
Nichjou is literally SOL done as closely to its pinnacle as possible. The beautifully yet quirkily animated world with its own surreal rules for existence made the perfect setting for a SOL that used its "unusual" qualities to derive maxium moe and comfiness. The sense of unreality the humor, recurring whimsical motifs, and absurd actions being taken for granted created is the perfect liminal realm for moe SOL to exist within; the problem with most modern CGDCT/SOL is that it aims to portray too literal of a reality, Nichijou perfectly understood the type of universe moe and comfiness most naturally springs from, and used it as a rich soil to grow some of the most endearing and memorable characters, interactions, and moments in recent anime-related history.
>>
File: image.gif (492 KB, 250x140) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
492 KB, 250x140
K-On is a shit show. I was ok with the plot and was expecting comedy. But, then KyoAni decided to make the entire "plot" to be cute doing cute shit, which made me not have expectations for season 2 and drop it.
>>
>>133949232
Nichijou was fantastic also because they spent exorbitant amounts of money on it. They tried to recoup the loss by charging unreasonably high prices for the BDs which made more people not buy them.
>>
>>133948596
>Tamako randomly remembered about that one time Mochizou tried to cheer her up when her mom died and that's how the conflict was solved.
That was just to represent how Mochizou was always there for her since she was little, I think it's a bit sweeter that way instead of showing a montage of just mochizou being there all the time. Tamako didn't like Mochi because he cheered her up that one time, but because of what that meant.
>>
Tiger and Bunnie
>>
>>133946377
This.
>>
>>133946138
This guy gets it
>>
>>133948882
That makes a lot of sense. It didn't really hook me until episode 5 or 6 but after that it was maximum comfy, despite most of the references going over my head.
>>
When are those images coming?
>>
Euphonium, KyoAni makes all their male leads like guys from a host club, which is why the romance never works and their characters is one dimensional because it's theater for your enjoyment while you're there. KyoAni makes great female leads with deep character, and so in Euphonium they could actually make romance work.
>>
So is this a Lucky Star thread? If it is, when do we break out the spookasa?
>>
File: 1375135439062.png (530 KB, 658x461) Image search: [Google]
1375135439062.png
530 KB, 658x461
>>
>>133950524
>so in Euphonium they could actually make romance work.
yeah that mountain episode was a masterpiece
>>
Free was a mistake
>>
>>133951412
Free was actually bretty good
>>
>>133948947
What a shitty-looking building.
>>
>>133951694
so's your mom's home
>>
>>133951764
That's true
>>
Nichijou
>>
Nichijō
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 500x451) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 500x451
>>133943088
>anything but K-ON
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.