[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is DBZ Abridged is much better than the original. Don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (155 KB, 720x496) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155 KB, 720x496
Why is DBZ Abridged is much better than the original. Don't believe me watch it yourself?
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 236x176) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 236x176
Example

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BMuKVoP6NHE
>>
No. That shit is like reddit humor at best.
>>
DBZ abridged stopped being good years ago.

Now it's just a platform for the creators to market themselves as voice actors. It's gone from being a parody, to being literally an abridged version of the actual series, with lower quality voice acting, and sprinkled with jokes that are composed mostly of cheap shock value.

Namek saga was fucking hilarious. Especially vegeta.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jkuyPHexxd4
>>
>>133913599
I just bearly started watching them so I guess I'm at the point where they are still funny.
>>
>>133913599
>with lower quality voice acting
Don't kid yourself, almost anything is better than the original dub.
>>
>>133913599
>It's gone from being a parody, to being literally an abridged version of the actual series

Are you me? This is literally what I was thinking the other day. I think the problem is that they are now assuming their audience knows about DBZ. (which they might, considering DBZ abridged, like YGO abridged, brought a lot of people back to the fandom or to the fandom for the first time) but it's humor that is contingent on knowing the source material. Also it's not even looking at the source material with a critical eye anymore. It's just like, "dude, these guys are badass." That's not even a joke. I hate it when they try to do those scenes trying to make shit look cool. I just want to see humor.

For example: You don't need to know many/any of the referneces made in the Venture Bros (which at its' core is a parody comedy show about cartoon/comic tropes and generally funny, very well defined characters with crazy personalities cracking one-liners) but it helps. But people with no knowledge can still enjoy the show because the humor doesn't come from glorifying the source material. It comes from generally subverting and poking fun at it while making genuinely funny jokes at the same time.

Is DBZ abridged better than the source material? It probably used to be, but they take themselves too seriously now. It's not about the laughs. They're caught up in their own (and the source material's) universe and lore. They couldn't do what venture bros. did and transcend the inspiration.
>>
I just read the abridged manga.
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 1280x720
>>133913552
Have you ever been to reddit? It's literally 4chan with a different layout.
>>
>>133913917
>It's literally 4chan with an utterly horrendous and unusable layout and entirely populated by tripfags
FTFY
>>
>>133913973
I guess maybe 4chan uses the word fag more. If that makes you feel better about the whole thing.
>>
This the shill thread?
>>
>>133914018
It does actually, thank you.
At least you give credit where credit is due, anon.
>>
>>133913849
I figured as much starts going downhill at the end of the namek saga, and never recovered. When I stopped watching they were at semi-perfect cell. There's was still some witty satire, on occasion.

>>133913901
Well said
>>
>>133913901
Ironically, they're following the same pattern that the source material did, just with Z instead of DB and Z. The abridged Saiyan saga is like early Dragon Ball, where it's filled with tons of wacky comedy with the plot as a secondary concern. The abridged Namek saga is like late Dragon Ball, where it's still got some decent comedy, but is getting more serious. The abridged Cyborg/Cell saga is like DBZ, where it's started to take itself too seriously and let comedy fall by the wayside. Extrapolating on this pattern, DBZA Buu saga will probably be comparable to GT.
>>
File: Monarch on 4chan.png (301 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
Monarch on 4chan.png
301 KB, 768x432
This thread is making me sad about how shitty DBZ Abridged is now.

>>133913901
And ironically some of their better early material was stolen from the venture bros. Like when Vegeta was a prison bitch and got sold for a cigarette, like the monarch did with dean.

https://youtu.be/P6P_sXbQtgc?t=4m8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3A_vxgBDxA

If you really want to feel bad watch that whole episode (5) then watch 50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMfTDFIdRQw

It's so unfunny it hurts.
>>
I think part of it is they don't have a purely funny character like Nappa or Guru this season. Granted, there's plenty more problems besides, but that's part of it.
>>
>>133913599
I know right? I swear they stopped trying after season 2
>>
>>133914189
>it starts going downhill at the end of the namek saga
So, just like the actual show?
>>
>>133915224
They are trying hard to make Cell the Napp/Guru of this season.
>>
>>133913901
>>133913599
It's still better then their early saiyan saga episodes at least.
>>
>>133913444
>Hehe what a kek heheheh xDD
>I'm so funny

This shit stopped being funny when you turned 15 faggot.
>>
I actually laughed twice at the most recent episode. Should I kill myself now?
>>
>>133916336
If you have to ask, the answer is yes.
>>
File: suicide.png (652 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
suicide.png
652 KB, 700x700
>>133916361
Okay. I always knew it would come to this and I've accepted that. It's just happening sooner than I thought.
>>
>>133915431
this
>>
>>133913599
>>133913901
I know what you guys mean, and I think the best example is the 2nd Cooler movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8yC02d7UZY

they play that REGIS theme at 11:45 to clearly reference REGIS from Megas, but if this were YGO Abridged, or even season1 of DBZA, they would have gone full-out on the REGIS parody. Like "COOLER MK 5" and just have him talking like REGIS the whole movie.
>>
File: kek.jpg (8 KB, 273x185) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
8 KB, 273x185
>>133913444

>his high point in life was one upping Yamcha
>>
>>133917543
>le meme face XD

Kill yourself
>>
>>133913444
All DBZ parodies are better than the original. The show is just a punchline now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXpdE-OEchE
>>
The last few episodes were kind of weak, but I liked the Super Android 13 movie.
I think there's maybe something going on that changes how they go about it or something.
>>
>>133913599
>Now it's just a platform for the creators to market themselves as voice actors

It's definitely become less about "fans making fun of Dragon Ball Z" and more of a straight up alternate dub. I wish they'd just embrace the fact they're basically recreating the show and drop all the dumb comedy elements (How many times do we need to have a scene go Guy Does Thing -> Guy Thinks He Won -> Actually Other Guy Is Okay and Mocks First Guy). I mean, it's impressive they've come so far, but they all seem so insufferable in real life. especially KaiserNeko.

Also, can I say that their FF7 project blows chunks?
>>
Fuck all y'all. Episode 50 is hilarious
>>
Well I'm enjoying it.
>>
File: 1448243564037.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1448243564037.jpg
90 KB, 1280x720
>>133913599
>>133913901
This very much.

Also they have way too many sideprojects now and the episodes still feel way too rushed then looking at the jokes.

Was it the #sellout or fame that made them change? Its still enjoyable, but very lacking on their previous work : (

Well the best hype for the series, we will have more Kuriboh`s Freeza in the future.
>>
I've never found DBZ TAS to be funny. Their sense of comedy was mostly LOUD SCREAMING and angry reactions to random bs.
>>
Abridged series done fucked up the moment it become about parodying the internet rather than the series itself.
Spamming memes really isn't funny and dates the work pretty awkwardly.
>>
>>133915224
>>133915526
Nigga 16 is clearly supposed to be the nappa/guru of this season
>>
>>133918166
Masako, please leave.
>>
>>133920485
I always thought his internet name was Massive Cox.
>>
>____ sucks now, it was so much better in the past
>no ____ always sucked you're a faggot with shit taste
-4chan, giving it's many diverse opinions on (everything)
>>
>>133920512
It probably is Masa koX and he just forgot to put the space in the middle.
>>
Did we time warp back to gaia invading again? how2punctuation???!

The rest of the thread isn't much better.
>>
>>133920516
Everything sucks, everything was always terrible, existence is a nightmare and we can't wake up.
>>
Its pretty good until 17 and co. appeared. Their movies are great, though.
>>
File: 1421955322524.jpg (145 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1421955322524.jpg
145 KB, 1280x720
at least my humor is better than this garbage

also
>image.jpg
>>
I like DB Abridged.

Deal with it.
>>
>>133921075
Oh man

Haters beware
>>
>>133913444
Abridged Vegeta is amazing.
>>
File: 5NMjSoB.gif (10 KB, 256x193) Image search: [Google]
5NMjSoB.gif
10 KB, 256x193
>>133921166
Haters gon' hate.
>>
>>133921496
Shovel Knight is epic
>>
>>133913444
Hellsing Ultimate Abridged is better
>>
>>133913599
Part of the problem is they dont have any characters like the ginyu force or Freeza anymore.
Vegeta has turned into a one note character, Goku is honestly more funny in small doses, also getting sick of the mispronunciation joke. Gohan, trunks and tien are all to serious, with Trunks feeling really weak. Krillin and Picollo are ok.

Of the new characters, 18 and 17 are to serious , especially 18. But I guess one can partly blame the source material. Cell is eh, to random, like they want to do something diffrent with him, but have no idea what.

Also recent episodes feel way to stretched out.
>>
It's declined over the years but there is still a couple of things I'm looking forward to provided they don't fuck it up, Final Flash and Angry/Cocky SS2 Gohan. I was looking forward to perfect Cell but considering what we've seen so far of Cell, I don't have much hope left
>>
>>133913479
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHU6TBkfSO4
>>
>>133914631
>Extrapolating on this pattern, DBZA Buu saga will probably be comparable to GT.
By the time they reach the Buu saga, wouldn't they wind up be comparable to the actual Buu saga? Back to being more laid back and funny?
>>
His armor isn't blue and a saibaman killed Yamcha.
>>
>>133913917
>reddit? It's literally 4chan with a different layout.
>this is what ledditors actually believe
>>
I thought Super Android 13 was pretty decent
>>
>>133924109
No, that'll probably be the Cell Games.
>>
File: 1a-13.jpg (91 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1a-13.jpg
91 KB, 1280x720
>mfw TFS replied to one of my tweets

So this is what it feels like when senpai notices you...
>>
I also still like DBZA
>>
Heh, it's ok.
I just wish they weren't afraid of making actual jokes instead of these obnoxious "snarky" one-liners that pollute the episodes. SA13 was a step in the right direction, but it's almost as if they're scared no one will take their project "seriously" is they go full blown parody, so it makes the end result a little too bland.
>>
>>133913917
>>133914018
except this is wrong, a comparison to 8shill would be more accurate. 8shill with upvoting so that every board is a hugbox.

>>133921782
>Also recent episodes feel way to stretched out.

>>133921896
>It's declined over the years

Wait, anons, are you saying that DBZ Abridged became what it was mocking? Because that's what it sounds like to me.
>>
>>133926184
It's almost at that point.
>>
>>133913444
Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged is better..when it's not depressing.
>>
>>133926256
>YGOA is better

Yeah, no, DBZA might be meh, but it's not irredeemable garbage.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.