[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the anime equivalent of Citizen Kane? pic unrelated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Neon_Genesis_Evangelion.jpg (3 MB, 2614x1639) Image search: [Google]
Neon_Genesis_Evangelion.jpg
3 MB, 2614x1639
What is the anime equivalent of Citizen Kane?
pic unrelated
>>
>>133893348
In a sense, that's not entirely off. Evangelion made later mecha anime darker and with distressed pilots. And really, that's what makes Citizen Kane influential, making new concepts that haven't been done before.
>>
Did you know Eva invented mecha anime?
>>
Ashita no Joe, hands down
>>
/r/ing that screencap about why Evangelion was so important.
>>
>>133893348
Evangelion was really important, but I'd say the citizen kane of anime was something more along the lines of astroboy or Horus: Prince of the Sun. I don't know that much about modernist or post-modern influences on film, but I'd look there to find the equivalent of Eva. I'd say Eva was kind of the Borges or Pynchon of anime. Maybe Space Odyssey? Both works used experimental exposition and direction yet were based in the type of narratives and settings found more in pop culture, making a film which was could appeal or at least garner attention from both critics and the mass audience. Both were massive financial successes despite being the kinds of works you would expect to have only appeal among people interested in independent cinema.
>>
>>133893348
Hyouka, because everyone says it's good but it's actually boring as fuck.
>>
>>133893348
Boko no Pico, now take your rec thread to reddit
>>
As in influence? Evangelion actually seems pretty relevant in that case, every anime has one or two tropes which have roots in Eva.
Citizen Kane changed cinema, just like Eva changed anime.
>>
>>133896555
This is probably the only reasonable reply.
>>
>>133896555
Do you think that Ingmar Bergman's "Persona" could be considered the Evangelion of film? It seems to the spots for me.

It's been a long time since I've watched it though, and I haven't watched film for a long time
>>
File: index.jpg (11 KB, 171x282) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11 KB, 171x282
I think Citizen Kane is more about perfection in every detail. A movie that was ahead of it's time and gained popularity much later, when people started to appreciate the details, story, etc.

Somehow Wings of Honneamise comes to my mind.
>>
>>133898401
Honneamise is sadly largely unknown still today.
>>
citizen kane wasn't based on an existing property but was a kind of lampoon and criticism of modern society while also being groundbreaking stylistically

therefore the answer is cowboy bebop
>>
>>133898624
kek, you almost got me man
>>
>>133898624
If you are not just trolling...
CB isn't focused enough. Every scene in Citizen Kane serves a purpose, CB is mostly just fucking around.
>>
>>133898162
Well, why would you think it would be? The way I was think, Persona or other classic european cinema, the works of Tarkovsky and Fellini could be more compared to the stream of anime films that came out 84-88, especially ones like Robot Carnival, Neo Tokyo or Angel's Egg. All of these were lets say more on the ambitious side but they ended up being films that mainly garnered the interest of other critics and animators. Kind of like those above mentioned films. I mentioned 2001 because it's a highly regarded film that was also popular among the mass public and was also a box office success. Persona had a box office of 250,000 $ while for Space Odyssey it was about 150 milion. It allowed Kubrick to work on whatever films he wanted later on and inspired lots of creators later on to make the kinds of films that mixed pop elements with experimental direction and original themes. Think the more ambitious sci-fi films like Blade Runner, Contact or Close Encounters of a Third Kind. In the same way Evangelion being a financial success allowed for the increase in original tv anime (not based on manga or books) titles being released and especially the ones in the similar "psychological drama with surreal elements category". So stuff like Utena, Lain, Bebop, all the other later works of ABe/Ueda, Gainax, Kenji Nakamura or Yuasa.

Anno also brings Kubrick to mind because of how much importance is put on shot composition. Though on the other hand Kubrick's films seem really "sterile", Anno cares a bit more about the heart, which makes it hard for me to compare him to anyone. Maybe Godard?
>>
>>133898809
I think it's pretty clear that Watanabe is the Tarantino of anime.
>>
>>133898889
You mean they're both hacks who value style over substance?
>>
>>133899161
Style is substance.
>>
Evangelion.
>>
>>133893348

Rose of Versailles
>>
>>133899161
They both mix pop culture genres, use a shitload of references, are chaotic and stylized, dialogue scenes are often just as dynamic and intense as action scenes. Big focus on music. Brutal. Both had problems with censorship.
>>
File: 1407199400832.png (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1407199400832.png
1 MB, 1600x900
>>133893348

It was his sled!
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.