[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Viz Media Comments on Digital Piracy After Manga Uploader Arrests
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: vizmedia_logo_horiz_4c_notm.jpg (9 KB, 400x71) Image search: [Google]
vizmedia_logo_horiz_4c_notm.jpg
9 KB, 400x71
>On Friday, November 13th, four men in Japan were arrested by the Kyoto Prefectural Police on suspicion of illegally taking, digitizing and distributing manga content originally published in the Japanese edition of Weekly Shonen Jump. Weekly Shonen Jump is the world's most-read weekly manga anthology and is published in Japan by Viz Media's parent company, Shueisha, Inc.
>It is alleged that this content was illegally distributed internationally through the online scanlation site MangaPanda. The site is also alleged to be the supplier to additional perpetrators possibly involved in the cross-border violation of intellectual property rights and copyright law.
>Digital piracy is a crime that steals what others have worked so hard to create. Viz Media actively supports manga creators and manga fan culture, and is committed to making the highest possible quality content available to a global audience through licensed channels.

Did mangapanda go to far?
>>
>>133728685
Yeah but, have you SEEN a Viz Media release? I wouldn't even pirate their shit.
>>
literally no source
>>
>>133728883
There's much, much worse out there.
Just be glad Tokyopop isn't still around.
>>
File: kek.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
>>133728685
>is committed to making the highest possible quality content available to a global audience through licensed channels.
>>
>>133728939
www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-11-19/viz-media-comments-on-digital-piracy-after-manga-uploader-arrests/.95562
>>
Did Viz even read the news? They weren't caught because they were scanlating, they were caught because they were releasing chapters OVER A WEEK before they hit the shelves in JAPAN. Not only that but they were making $$$ with it.
>>
>>133729004
TokyoPop sadly is still around. They got back some of their properties a couple of years ago.
>>
>>133730332
Just import the original manga or related merchandise.
>>
>>133730332
I can't speak for others but that's basically how I've been treating digital manga. For the works I really like, I'd buy the physical books, but for the manga where I like but not enough to justify importing, I'd just buy the digital releases.
>>
File: 1447630589295.jpg (350 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447630589295.jpg
350 KB, 1280x720
>>133730332
I've wrote and frequently updating a program which has been downloaded over 300k times so far from my website alone.
I also have a donate button in the program itself and in my site.

The donations so far, has been 17$ in total.
It just does not work.
The only reason I'm still doing it only for a line in CV.
>>
>>133728685
>Viz Media Comments
But they didn't? What they have done here is just retelling the facts we already know and saying that they're doing their job.
>>
>>133730690
>program
That is not a fair comparison at all. People aren't as invested in programs as they are in works of entertainment. Saying it just does not work is not accurate. It does work TO A CERTAIN EXTENT, when you compare with other works of entertainment like music etc. The key thing of course isn't to go full donation, but a mix of donation and traditional sales.
>>
If there were a netflix or google books type of thing for manga or anime, I'd gladly pay it.
But producers actually want me to wait months for a work to be published in tankobon format and then maybe shipped here, it's just too much wait.
>>
>>133731064
>If there were a netflix or google books type of thing for manga or anime, I'd gladly pay it.
There is. Are you retarded?
>>
ITT: thieves trying to justify their sins

Just accept you are stealing, is not that hard.
>>
>>133731095
what is it called, so I can subscribe?
And why it doesn't have any publicity?
>>
>>133731200
The most popular one is Crunchyroll, and I sure hope you don't subscribe because that would be stupid.
>>
>>133731337

Just a while ago they were hacked and all their customer data stolen.
>>
>>133730966
>How many more donations do you think you would have gotten if you really pushed the issue, you know? Like, really push it at people.

Constantly asking for donations only makes me less inclined to donate
>>
File: 1429129186052.jpg (36 KB, 318x318) Image search: [Google]
1429129186052.jpg
36 KB, 318x318
>>133728685
>Viz Media actively supports manga creators and manga fan culture, and is committed to making the highest possible quality content available to a global audience through licensed channels.
>Viz Media
>highest quality content
>>
>>133731884
If you're that program guy, yes, I'm never donating to you.
>>
>>133731200
>And why it doesn't have any publicity?
Crunchyroll literally subs half the shows every season with funimation taking the rest. Funimation even puts their shit at the beginning of the video.
>>
You guys can easily buy something from amazon japan, you can even buy sets of manga, I'm a neet and with the few bucks I get in a month, I have bought manga from Japan without much effort
Of course I only buy stuff I really like
>>
>>133732115
Yeah ut it doesn't say anywhere they are official translators or that they support the creators
>>
File: Anon please.png (127 KB, 365x365) Image search: [Google]
Anon please.png
127 KB, 365x365
>>133732164
Holy shit.
>>
>>133732164
You can't possibly be this retarded, can you?
>>
>>133730690
>I've wrote
Well, let's just hope you aren't trying to sell your English skills too.
>>
>>133732137
I'm a neet with literally 0 income, I'm not going to buy manga from japan considering the shipping cost. If a series that I really like is available at my local bookstore then I might buy it there when I'll get a few bucks.
>>
>>133728685
Glad to live in a country were anime isn't even licensed.

I suppose in Japan you really have to OPSEC.
>>
File: 1436234683911.jpg (40 KB, 261x260) Image search: [Google]
1436234683911.jpg
40 KB, 261x260
>>133732164
>>
>>133729004
Fuck TokyoPop.

They are notorious for picking up licenses and never finishing them.
>>
>>133732593
Blame people not buying the volumes for that.

Friendly reminder that manga companies have to license each series by the volume and if it doesn't sell, they have every right to curb stomp the shit out of it.
>>
>>133732675
>Friendly reminder that manga companies have to license each series by the volume
Wong.
>>
>>133732675
Then they shouldn't complain if people pirate it.
>>
Meaning if they don't license it, we shouldn't care and they shouldn't care it seems? Well, carrying on then. I don't read JUMP shit anymore.
>>
File: piracy.png (59 KB, 600x341) Image search: [Google]
piracy.png
59 KB, 600x341
>>
>>133732675
Yeah luckily somebody did a fan TL, some academia guy who actually cared about the series.

Unless something is mainstream like Attack of Titan you're SOL.
>>
If you are mexican, you have absolutely no pretext for not buying manga. It's cheap and fucking everywhere.
>>
>>133732516
It's cheaper to import even with shipping in my experience.
>>
>>133732915
what are you talking about?
>>
>>133732973
More if you live in a place where your SAL packages dont get lost or stolen
>>
Does manga work the same way as anime as in if I import, it's more money towards the creators?
>>
>>133732137
If you speak moon, yes.
>>
>>133733024
>get lost or stolen
Which countries are like that?
>>
>>133731135
Not really, I pay for all the manga I read. I'm glad the raw providers were caught because it pissed me off being spoiled every fucking week. Filthy chinks, why can't they wait a fucking week to release their shitty scanlations.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI
>>
I TOLD YOU ABOUT TPP BRO
I TOLD YOU
>>
>>133733218
>Not really, I pay for all the manga I read
Stop doing that and give me all your excess money instead, you wasteful richfag.
>>
>>133733161
Third world countries.
>>
Fucking gooks, why can't they start their own "Netflix" of anime. They're always selling their shit at piss poor prices, even small 3rd world tv channels can pay licenses for their shows, CEO of SHITnimation and Crunshitroll must laugh their asses off every night before going to sleep.
>>
File: Trump with a semiautomatic.jpg (86 KB, 694x218) Image search: [Google]
Trump with a semiautomatic.jpg
86 KB, 694x218
>>133732593
That isn't even the worst of their bullshit.
>>
>>133733308
>4$ per magazine is a price only a millionaire can pay for
How about you stop wasting your money on burgers?
>>
>>133732675
Friendly reminder:
Back then we actually stopped translating licensed properties and did not scan English volume releases. Licensors had the full support of the community and licensed more works than they could support, that is why they cancelled anything not living up to their sales expectations.
>>
>>133732675
>Friendly reminder that manga companies have to license each series by the volume
Only light novels are licenced this way
>>
>>133733035
>it's more money towards the creators?
You mean the publishers that pay the authors?
>>
>>133728685
>Viz Media actively supports manga creators and manga fan culture, and is committed to making the highest possible quality content available to a global audience
>highest possible quality
Good joke, Viz.
>>
>>133733481
If you read any substantial amount of manga, then yes, it becomes a lot.
>>
File: 1446526904903.png (22 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1446526904903.png
22 KB, 640x640
>>133731486
>Just a while ago they were hacked and all their customer data stolen.
But that's wrong, no data was stolen. It was just some idiot that was able to fuck up the homepage and the layout. That's barely hacking.
>>
T-thanks, Obama.
>>
>>133728685
Well they are committing crimes so going to jail is the logical outcome. Or suicide if they want to copy Aaron Swartz.

I've know scanlation will not survive the next decade (just like fansubbing died), this is something anyone with half a brain has accustomed himself with for a long time.

Enjoy the show while it lasts.
Anyway, I'm proofreading Ballroom e Youkoso 28, and will start dumping soon.
>>
>>133733695
That's why you buy magazines and only get volumes of what you really like. It's not even that expensive when compared to any other form of media, you're just not used to pay for it all of your life so any dollar for what's free sounds like an extravagance for you. You're only used to consume, more, more and more. For free! I bet you barely remember the names of the characters of half the shit you read.
>>
>>133728685
Didn't Viz stopped translating the Gintama manga because no one gives a shit about it.
>>
>>133729244
Why the fuck can't they just wait until the store release day if there's this much risk in uploading shit earlier than that?
>>
>>133733864
Lurk more, newfag.

Only shonenshit and the occasional grimdark seinenshit will be affected.

Ecchishit will never be affected.
>>
>>133733864
>I've know scanlation will not survive the next decade (just like fansubbing died)
Except there's a shit ton more manga out there than anime. Crunchyshit can take all the cartoons they want but not all all the manga. That's where scanlation comes in to pick up the rest of it, and even then there are a ton of series not translated.
>>
>>133733869
I'm just going to ignore the rant about consumption, but buying magazines can be more expensive than buying volumes depending on the distribution of your series. I mean, I read one or two manga from plenty of magazines, so I'd effectively be paying for ten to twenty chapters when I only want a fraction of those.
>>
>>133733924
Some say it's the money involved in being the first ones to release because of ads but that only applies for the English sites. Personally I think it's dibs e-peen stupidity. If you think English scanlation scene is retarded you obviously don't know the Chinese one. They are literally paying magazine delivery middlemen to be the first ones to scanlate.
>>
>>133733925
>>133733996

Well the thing is, TPP basically makes copyrights global. So even though a manga is not copyrighted in USA or the EU you can still get a C&D, heck even by a third party the copyright owner might not even know you exist.

So scanlation WILL quite certainly die - most big sites which fuel it survive by ad revenue and are quite public. The moment people have to start going on irc and shit to get their manga it's fucking over, it's not the 90s anymore. Sure maybe some will do it for a time but in the end with waining popularity the people doing it will disappear one after the other as well.
>>
>paying
Nah
>>
>>133733869
Not only do magazines cost more than tanks, but you'd be buying chapters you're not interested in.

Definitely do buy when there are color pages and one shots that may not be republished or take years before collected.
>>
>>133734152
This whole thing had nothing to do with TPP, it was just a bunch of chinks being stupid and getting arrested (and killing a few scanlation groups while at it).
>>
>>133734152
I wish I could make bets that this wouldn't happen. Do any of those bet-on-random-shit sites have a way we could start wagering on this? People said the exact same things as you're saying now at various points in the last ten years. Fuck, I remember the whole "we might have to go to IRC, but won't that kill manga?" argument coming up during the Onemanga debacle. It won't happen.
>>
>>133734220
Actually it has everything to do with TPP.
Japan has been implementing more stern observance of copyright laws in accordance with TPP.
>>
>>133734259
You think they wouldn't have arrested a delivery man selling early copies of the magazine without TPP on the horizon? Of course they would.
>>
>>133734045
When you said you read tons of manga I thought you did read tons of manga which would mean more than one chapter per magazine. If you only read some manga then there's higher chance it's licensed. Get a Viz subscription, it's like $3 per month or something and you get to read lots of different popular titles in English just one week after Japan, sometimes less.

>>133734191
Magazines cost less than a tank and have dozens of chapters. It's the best if you like to read just about anything.
>>
>>133734245
>It won't happen.
It has happened already in a way.
Manga Trader dying was the begging of the end for scanlation. Eventually every country capable of holding a viable server will have the same copyright laws the States have had for the last 5-6 years.

>>133734281
They only "caught" them now even though they've been doing it, quite openly mind you, for years. Why?
>>
>>133734288
>which would mean more than one chapter per magazine
No, not really. For starters, a lot of stuff is already finished and magazine subscriptions won't get you it, and of the ongoing stuff I do read, it's distributed across a lot of magazines. You do realize Kodansha alone has a hundred magazines, right?

>thinking everything I read is licensed from Viz
Are you shitting me?
>>
If this is happening in mass then more the reason to download all of madokami. It's only 3.6TB.
>>
>>133734402
>Are you shitting me?
No, you just sound like that kind of guy.
>>
>>133734346
>Manga Trader dying was the begging of the end for scanlation
Yes, just like OM dying was, right? Give me a break.
>>
>>133734427
Oh, it's back up.
>>
>>133734346
>Manga Trader dying
They are up
>>
>>133734437
Let me ask you a question.
If they close mangafox and bato.to tomorrow, where would the typical pleb go for his manga?

When 3 years ago there were a hundred big manga readers. Now there's what three? Four at most?

This shit can happen in a single day. Just be prepared.

>>133734486
You're too new to know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>133734486
Sure they are, retard.
>>
>>133728685

>viz media
>high quality content

If you mean shitty translations and censorship, yeah sure
>>
>>133734486
I wish to live in a world without stupidity.
>>
>>133733752

Oh wow, CR damage control is still running.
>>
>>133730690
I'd say this is because people are not used to systems like patreon or flattr yet. The default behaviour of people is to take things that are given for free and not give it another thought. But honor systems for selling things without supervision work all over the world. When people are used to some practice and consider it normal they take what they want and pay accordingly without giving it another thought. We can only hope that global culture moves toward the practice of providing digital products as services without payment per item but instead paying for the service after you've used it.
>>
>>133734504
I don't care about the typical pleb, but where everyone who knows what they're doing would go, assuming all of Mangafox's sister sites and madokami were also down and that no backup or replacement appeared immediately, would be the scanlators' sites.
>>
>>133734625
Madokami is used by a couple hundred people don't even think it plays any role in anything.

As for scanlator's websites - they are blogs and they put their files on file sharing services all of that can be taken down in 3 minutes.
>>
>>133734462
I know but they went down and it scared everyone. They are wanting people to have backups of the entire site so if they go down with the TPP we still have everything. A 4TB HDD is like $180 fot a good one.
>>
>>133734428
I'm following probably somewhere between one and two hundred series ongoing in Japan, but that's not nearly enough to justify buying most of the magazines those are in. For example, I'd be buying Champion Red for Seikon no Qwaser, Deadtube, and Chikyuu no Houkago. That's three chapters, I'm not going to pay for five times that.
>>
>>133734427
There are people working on it, many copies. The real problem is how to maintain distribution indefinitely and with redundancy.
>>
>>133734710
I know people who put their scanlator blogs on Tumblr. Suffice to say it's a three strikes policy with regards to being DMCA'd to death.

The safest harbour is always to release scanlations anonymously on here.
>>
>>133734710
>any role in anything
It plays a role in me getting my manga.

> all of that can be taken down in 3 minutes
Yes, and this has been the case for ages, with nothing happening. And if they do take down Magnavox & co, Batoto, Kiss, Madokami, and scanlators' sites, there are multiple people with personal backups and siterips. There's also nay and stuff, not like most of their torrents for manga are live, but you get my point. There are many points of access for this, and more are easily fabricated, and it's not going to die.
>>
>>133734832
Ok whatever you say.
Just like fansubs couldn't die.
The reality is once something is hard to get for the 99%ers it's done.
>>
>>133734906
>fansubs couldn't die
They died because there's a free alternative for basically all of them, and had nothing to do with accessibility or DMCAs or anything you're talking about with manga. It's completely irrelevant.
>>
>>133734800
Well when people have the backups then the data is secured. That is all that matters. There can always be another site but the data is irreplaceable. When it goes down we can have a thread and solve it hopefully. You can have a bot that auto downloads everything put on the site to the archive that you already have.
>>
>>133733470
Holy fucking hell, what's that dialogue supposed to say?
>>
>>133734953
>All that matters
Look at what you saying. Like really, read it. Mangatraders went down with less than 2TB of data. The FTP in its short history got to almost double that. Dropping off one single point of failure for another is not a real solution. Even in the short span Mangatraders was dead, there was probably a bunch of lost releases and still are. the goal of Madokami first and foremost was not to stick out to gather public releases. It was to form a stopgap solution and until there is a real solution, we're going to spend the rest of our lives in panic-mode or sloth-mode.
>>
>>133735142
>almost double that
You need to consider crazy amount of duplicates, though. Fucking bots.
>>
>>133735142
Or, you know, we'll spend the rest of our lives dealing with occasional takedowns and loss of some data, like we have been for quite a while now, and we'll still have most of our stuff, and we'll just learn to live with it and not freak out about it.
>>
>>133735242
There's also volume repacks vs the original chapters in both forms for some series as well.
>>
>>133735254
>learn to live with it
Or just set up a proper private tracker for this shit jesus.
>>
>>133728685
>committed to making the highest possible quality content available to a global audience through licensed channels

Not committed enough, since my country isn't on the list.
>>
>>133733481
Digital wsj is only a dollar....
>>
I hope they only care about huge distributors and don't start knocking on my door for uploading a few of their series.
>>
>>133735526
If you're not in Japan stealing physical One Piece chapters before they release, you're probably fine.
>>
Put it all on an XDCC bot and it will be around forever.

#lurk was great and the only reason it ever went away is because people didn't donate to cover bandwidth expenses. I only started using mangatraders after #lurk went down because it was an inferior service filled with watermarked shitrips from online reader.
>>
>>133735598
That's what I figured.

I'm not making any money, anyways.
>>
>ITT: Retards who think dumb US laws would actually hold in real free world.

At the worst case people would just outsource to Turkish Republic of Cyprus or some other weird country with first world standards but no international accountability.
>>
>>133733470
Is that supposed to be Battle Royale?

If so Jesus Christ.
>>
>Don't release your work in english/be really behind
>Get mad at people releasing it themselves

I'll never understand this
>>
>>133735309
>>133735242
And raws too.
>>
>>133736449
More like

>PAY US IF YOU WANT ENGLISH/TO TRANSLATE IN ENGLISH
>>
>>133736543
There's nothing wrong with raws, though.
>>
>>133736654
No, but a scanlated manga would usually be harder to replace. Usually.
>>
File: 1426892305134.png (508 KB, 648x598) Image search: [Google]
1426892305134.png
508 KB, 648x598
>>133732137
>buying something you can't even read
>>
File: 1325055533775.png (390 KB, 729x500) Image search: [Google]
1325055533775.png
390 KB, 729x500
>Paying for comic books
>>
>>133734504
Most likely answer? Tumblr and social media. Literally all the scan groups for licensed stuff and doujinshi I follow have a tumblr, it's gone and replaced livejournal

God help us all.
>>
>>133737555
>replaced livejournal
It still hasn't kicked the bucket in that regard, mind you.
>>
>>133737555
Tumblr's quite risky with the DMCAs though. You only need three for the blogs to die but thankfully there's plenty of rippers.
>>
>>133731135

You're wrong and have extremely undeveloped understandings of art and data sharing.

I don't have the patience to explain why a pattern of data on my HDD does not constitute stolen goods.

Entertainment is not food or shelter. People shouldn't expect to make a living from producing entertainment.

Calling data-copying a "sin" just robs the word sin of all meaning.

I hate you and what you stand for. You're trying to take the moral highground over puerile excesses of modern culture.
>>
>>133738515
So then, do you think entertainment has value? Or would you be fine if every form of entertainment dried up tomorrow?
>>
>>133738675
His point is that entertainment has become an industry and those in the industry expect people (wrongfully so) to invest heavily in it, as opposed to something done for fun/the sake of it.
>>
>>133738728
I agree that entertainment should be more easily accessible, but he argues that creators shouldn't expect to make money for their work. By that logic, he should also be fine with there being no entertainment then, because a great deal of work goes into creating it.
>>
>>133738805
No, he said that people shouldn't expect to make a living from entertainment, not that they shouldn't get paid.
>>
>>133738805
>but he argues that creators shouldn't expect to make money for their work
that's not what he said at all.
>>
>using anything but madokami and batoto
Fucking newfriends
>>
>>133738872
>No, he said that people shouldn't expect to make a living from entertainment
What's the difference? If I can make any money for doing something, then I should be able to make a living at it by doing enough of it or by doing it in high enough quality.
>>
>>133738904
>People shouldn't expect to make a living from producing entertainment.
That's literally exactly what he says.
>>
>>133738983
The difference is that one attitude creates, for better or worse, an entire industry devoted to selling a particular product, entertainment. I'm glad that we have such an industry but I think they have a bit too much power now, especially with TPP looming.
>>
>>133739064
The problem isn't people trying to make a living, it's massive corporate executives who want to raise their paychecks from ridiculous to completely ludicrous. Even people fairly high up in the creative processors like directors usually don't give a flying fuck about their bottom line or protecting their IP.
>>
>>133728685
get a fucking job and buy your fucking manga, you useless cunts...
>>
>>133739240
>...
>>
>Manga piracy is dying
>Milokon might stop producing scans
>Fakku shills everywhere since yesterday to capitalize on the chaos
>School backpacks now have to be censored because Olympics

Truly the end of the world
>>
>>133739597
Wait what happened yeaterday?
>>
I didn't notice anything. maybe daiz's bans for being a paid fakku shill expired temporarily
>>
>>133728685
>Digital piracy is a crime that steals
>steals
There they go again
>>
Has DomDom bypassed Batoto yet?
>>
File: vash-love-peace-42150325440.gif (62 KB, 320x245) Image search: [Google]
vash-love-peace-42150325440.gif
62 KB, 320x245
>>133728685
Serious question time:
If the current world of fansubs and fanscans didn't exist and the only wsy you could get your daily/weekly/monthly dose of manga x, y or z was by buying it on through a legal channel, would you do it? Lets say for the dake of the argument that 100% of any given author/publishers catalog is available (both new and old).
And would the resulting selles be enough to make manga a profitable business in the USA? Would it be big enough to rival mainstream comics like Marvel and DC?
>>
>>133733924
Because traffic to site = ads revenue = money.
>>
>>133739984

I'd buy but I'm mostly very picky about what I actually buy.
>>
>>133739984
I'd drop by a bookstore/convenience store/library, read what I'm interested in and leave without buying.
>>
>>133740076
You don't buy things at a library, anon. That's the whole point.
>>
>>133731337
But now I can't read muh nisekoi a year before we see it in America
>>
>>133739984
Through the legal channels currently available? I'd buy some, but very little. I'd probably get less frugal as time went on, but I sure as hell wouldn't be buying stuff like Nisekoi or Subete ga F.
>>
I dont read Viz releases because scanlations are either faster or the shit I read isn't popular enough for Viz to care about

Honest question what is bad about them. If there is something they have done that I cant find scans for I would pirate their scans no problem
>>
>>133740572
By legal channels I also mean stuff like amazone, only streaming and reading apps. Not only on store purchase.
>>
>>133728685
With news like this, i might as well move to gensokyo.
>>
>>133739984
>would the resulting selles be enough to make manga a profitable business in the USA?
No.
>Would it be big enough to rival mainstream comics like Marvel and DC?
Yes. That stuff has one foot in the grave already.
>>
>>133740645
Then I have no idea because I can't tell what prices would be like. I was imagining CR/Funi/whatever simulsubbing everything new at their normal subscription rates and all manga and older anime being available in English in the same format and price as the Jap versions.
>>
File: 1443753317390.jpg (150 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
1443753317390.jpg
150 KB, 1252x1252
Why did Redhawk have to die?

I've been using their website for years ;_;
>>
>>133732973
That reminds me, the other day Matt Thorn posted on his Twitter that scanlators are responsible for the poor sales of the Hourou Musuko manga in English. The U.S. release is hardcover and costs over $20 a book, and not to mention the series has a fairly niche point of interest. I think he's a very good translator but he needs to realize that most manga readers don't want to shell out $200-300 for a twelve-volume manga series.
>>
>>133741099
So he's bitching about scanlation that started five years prior their publication and ended almost two and half years ago, while they still haven't finished it. What a retard.
>>
>>133741099
They have no one to blame but themselves. They should have thought it through before they tried to pick up a manga that had had up-to-date fan translations for years.
>>
Have people forgotten IRC distribution? You kids these days.
>>
Why so serious all of a sudden? This is just like any topic on /a/, the more we make anime popular the bigger this problem is gonna get, the more people who like anime the greater the number of people who'll fileshare it. Though the percentage of people who buy only, fileshare only, and all inbetween won't change, getting more sales because the buy only grew larger, then seeing all that "lost sales" because the fileshare only grew bigger alongside will drive them mad. So like with any topic on /a/ it is our job to be on the forefront on setting the memes, bait, troll, and flame wars.
>>
>>133741671
It's not even that hard either. Seriously.
>>
>>133741099
These guys need to figure out that their biggest competition is not scanlators. Their biggest competitors are TV, video games, books, movies, etc. And as long as they're charging $45 for a fucking bluray they will continue to be ignored by everyone.
>>
>>133738488
How often do Tumblr blogs get DMCA'd? Is it common for artbook blogs to get targeted?
>>
>>133729244
/thread
>>
>>133739597
>School backpacks now have to be censored because Olympics
What?
>>
>>133745761
There will be nig nogs and mudslimes coming to japan for the olympics. They are taking precautions.
>>
>>133745761
http://exhentai.org/s/07c26d077e/874522-4
>>
>>133739597

We need a hero
>>
>they'll never arrest the mangastream raw providers
>>
>>133734970
>>133736402
TP were counting on Battle Royale to be a big hit with normalfags so they contracted a comic book writer to fuck up the translation completely to make it edgier.
The actual Battle Royale manga is 90% word-for-word from the book.
And of course it wasn't a smash hit. I will never not be butthurt about this. TP got the same comic book guy to fuck up Ikkitousen too.
>>
>>133746077
And people are still trying to obtain their shit via auctions and such because muh official English localization. Laughable.
>>
>>133745982
>tfw mangastream going down might lead to the rise of more scanlation groups
>>
>>133741671
I have yet to find a manga bot.
>>
>>133747011
gotlurk
>>
>>133728685
>>133729244
>cross-border violation
Cross-boarders getting what they deserve
>>
>>133745833
This is a joke right
>>
See, I'd buy Jump for Hero Academia and Soma (and the monthlies) but fuck paying anything for the 'privilege' of having my download be stuffed full of shit I do not want to read like Nisekoi and Bleach.

Of all people CR have this right, I pay my dues, I get the four series I want, I never need to consider something I don't care for like Girl May Kill and I'm genuinely happy to leave at that.
>>
Unless we get a steam for animu and manga which has no region restricions cr an funishit and viz can go fuck themselves

I prefer importing manga from japan anyway
>>
File: 1427402891841.jpg (73 KB, 362x298) Image search: [Google]
1427402891841.jpg
73 KB, 362x298
Why don't mangakas make a Patreon?
>>
>>133740936
All good things come to an end anon. Everything will come to an end at some point. Otherwise, how can we move on?

I wonder if China will pay for their bail.
>>
>>133747927
They will.
>>
>>133738933
>can't download from batoto anymore
fuck this shitty site
also, don't you see how this affects future releases?
Welp, now I can work on my backlog
>>
>>133749662
WSJ scans being two days later doesn't really change much.
>>
>>133749751
mikocon and lwb got arrested, so no more h-mangas and doujins from main magazines
It won't be long before WSJ shuts shop
Face the truth, /a/non
Scanlation will be dead post 2016
>>
>>133742535
I got DMCA'd for linking to an uploaded amtlib DLL for a friend on tumblr and last time I got DMCA'd for uploading fucking public domain books. Another time I uploaded a bunch of books (about 12 fiction) and got DMCA'd again. I baka because someone else escaped being DMCA'd even though they uploaded about 800 books to a dropbox account but I got caught over just 12.

Funnily they haven't killed me over scanlating yet, but as long as you make sure that you're bypassing the crawlers (aka enable robots.txt and keep keywords in images rather than in text) you should be fine(ish). Also there are ways of making the entire blog look blank but only viewable to followers or people who have changed their useragent to mobile. It's a clever way of fucking up the copyright bots.

On the other hand, anyone who pastes links on 4chan should consider the fact that all the fucking links end up in the archives which is crawled so spoiler tagging the shit or using ᴜɴɪᴄᴏᴅᴇ (note that fullwidth is still crawled) might make it less likely that some bot will find it. (especially on the /mu/ sharethreads)
>>
>>133749895
>It won't be long before WSJ shuts shop
I assume you mean WSJ rips, not that WSJ is going to stop running, but I still don't believe it. There are too many people willing to upload and too many people willing to read. And for most of the scanlation scene, there are simply too many projects from too many sources to kill all of them.

>>133749925
>using tumblr
>unironically trying to use "baka" in a sentence
Please leave. Really.
>>
>>133734624
>We can only hope that global culture moves toward the practice of providing digital products as services without payment per item but instead paying for the service after you've used it.
>Vidya as a service
>Manga as a service
Nah fuck that
>>
>>133749976
This. Everyone the last few days keeps bringing up the idea of bringing Steam or Kickstarter or Patreon to bear on anime, but I don't want that. I like the model where the industry makes what it likes and the amateur community organizes itself the way it likes and interference is rare, and I wish we could stop shifting away from that.
>>
>>133749895
WHAT HAPPENED TO LWB?
>>
>>133749950
>he doesn't know that there are two Viz anons (one screenshotting, one ripping) and one person on tumblr person (screenshotting) uploading Viz rips
I bet you also don't know that Tumblr is the second best place to pirate shit television, movies and anime without resorting to sekrit clubs and shitty unseeded public trackers (when the private trackers aren't shitting themselves to death.)

>baka
Just sm͏h fa͏m
>>
>>133750104
got arrested for lolicon, I think
>>
>>133750108
> shit television, movies
I don't care.

> anime without resorting to sekrit clubs and shitty unseeded public trackers (when the private trackers aren't shitting themselves to death.)
I don't get what you're saying. It's the best place to get anime without "resorting to" the places where I get all my anime already without any hassle?
>>
File: karensicp.jpg (58 KB, 456x578) Image search: [Google]
karensicp.jpg
58 KB, 456x578
>>133749662
>>can't download from batoto anymore
>>
>>133750132
What, after 20 years of translating lolicon?
>>
File: 015 - Piracy.jpg (34 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
015 - Piracy.jpg
34 KB, 400x267
>>133728685
>Digital piracy is a crime that steals what others have worked so hard to create.
Triggered
>>
File: 1439564527181.jpg (88 KB, 636x616) Image search: [Google]
1439564527181.jpg
88 KB, 636x616
>>133732066
>>133733536
>>133734524
>>>/g/
>>
>>133750158
I know about those python scripts that can be used to download from there
But the bastards changed their site settings or something and now everything downloads at a snail's pace
Fuckers should've given an option for downloading if they were going all account mandatory
>>
File: 1419166795136.png (326 KB, 561x590) Image search: [Google]
1419166795136.png
326 KB, 561x590
>>133750238
>implying
>>
>>133750238
What does /g/ have to do with Viz's bad translations?
>>
>>133734152
>The moment people have to start going on irc and shit to get their manga
I would totally go for an XDCC bot for manga. I should use it more for anime, but since I moved to the middle of nowhere it's more convenient to use torrents that I can pause and resume later in the day.
>>
>>133750143
I collect sources of stuff as a hobby. Tumblr is just another notch in the easily accessible belt. The bigger dream is one of those FTP servers or whatever that cleaners and manga scanlation groups get their scans before 7 days which it would probably be inaccurate to call a topsite.

>>133750259
Jdownloader dl'd at full pace and at full resolution the last time I checked. There's also an active support.

>>133750353
Not him but /g/ hates Viz. That much is understood.
>>
>>133750379
*support forum where you can whinge to one of the developers about x file host shitting itself
>>
>>133750379
>/g/ hates Viz
But so does everyone else.
>>
>>133750089
Well, I like the current arrangement. But I'd like the animators to be able to earn more. That's the only real change I want to see.
>>
>>133750379
>implying only /g/ hates Viz
Everyone hates them, you dolt.
>>
>>133750400
>>133750412
Anon's probably mistaking them for one guy who hates them in particular.
>>
>>133750089
>kikestarter, steam or paetron for anime
Eat shit
>>
>>133750409
Underpaying your animators and working on shoestrings is pretty much the soul of anime, just like sleeping all day and pulling all-nighters to rush out your next chapter before the deadline is the soul of manga.
>>
>>133745833
lol what the fuck. What's the story behind that?
>>
>>133750473
Can you not read? I'm saying those are bad ideas.
>>
>>133747095
But /a/ told me that wasn't safe.
>>
>>133750499
>replying to someone who's obviously mentally handicapped
Good job and nice dubs.
>>
>>133728685
Some anon posted this a couple days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI

One of the main reasons manga and anime has taken off is because of piracy. It's fucking stupid to condemn this since the only reason companies are translating is because there is demand that was created from illegal rips. People would have never cared if there was a paywall to get an interest for nip media.
>>
File: 1425665407002.jpg (41 KB, 374x374) Image search: [Google]
1425665407002.jpg
41 KB, 374x374
>>133750353
It just kind of reminded me of whenever you say 'Windows' on /g/

I also don't really understand how the translations are bad desu, in my experience, the words make sense and they match the picture, so what exactly is the problem?
>>
>>133750494
Possibly a joke, but has a probability of being a new policy of some digital store that the guy sells his stuff on. Somehow i don't see the guy ruining his art even more by censoring unnecessary bits just to make a statement.
>>
>>133750560
>It just kind of reminded me of whenever you say 'Windows' on /g/
Is this your first time on /a/ or something? There are least a hundred things that will get you snide greentext if you mention them, and that's not even counting opinions on anime and manga.
>>
>>133750582
That's kind of hilarious, though.
>>
>>133750597
>opinions
>>
>>133750597
nah this is different desu
>>
>>133750616
Only if it's a joke, i dunno anon i'm feeling very vulnerable when it comes to my lolicon.
>>
>>133750528
Another problem with Japan is their apparent xenophobia when it comes to their works. It's a lot harder to get Japanese media than say Korean media because the Nips shun rather embrace new forms of distribution. For example, most Japanese labels are still very wary of YouTube while Koreans are more welcoming of it. While this has been changing somewhat recently, it may be too little too late.
>>
>>133734800
DC++
>>
>>133750528
That was earlier this thread, but yes, it's pretty stupid to try taking the moral high ground against piracy when that's how people find your series. Stuff like >>133741099 is just ridiculous - if you don't make any money selling a book that's been available for free for five years, it's not the scanlators' fault for being evil robbers, it's your fault for being idiots and expecting people to buy that.
>>
>>133749925
>keep keywords in images rather than in text
What do you mean by this? Sorry if it's a really obvious thing, I use the site to share personal scans (no DL links, just image uploads) but I'm actually not very good at using it.
>>
>>133741099
In japan volumes cost 400 yen, like $3 so he can fuck right off
>>
>>133750782
Ok so imagine you are browsing 4chan or tumblr. There is text on the page that you can highlight and copy. This can be seen by scripts or bots that people write to identify the text in order to send DMCA notices. (Most DMCA notices are automated and are not sent by hand).

Robots.txt is a function to prevent webscrapers working and to tell them to essentially fuck off. I am unsure if it works for copyright trolls.

If you put your text in an image well maybe they have a utility which can identify words in images known as an OCR. However these are extremely rare and there are many millions of fonts you could use to fuck their shit up. So writing 'Scanlation of x manga' in the image and typing out the link and putting it in the image but not in the post body means that you won't get hit by as many DMCA notices. The same principle goes for here (the practice of writing long and detailed filenames and web addresses and album names for example on /mu/ has kicked many of their members in the butt when it gets archived by rebecca. )
>>
>work in the entertainment industry
>do a shit job or just have bad luck
>save face by blaming piracy
kek
>>
>>133750849
Oh I see what you mean now. Thank you for answering.
>>
>>133728685
You can catch up with most of the popular series with an official translation at your local library for free, what would suck is losing all access to niche series that will probably never see the light outside of Japan. Hell, piracy even helps some niche series, just look at the boost in popularity 4chan gave WataMote.
>>
>>133728685
I like Viz there translations are superb and when they localise something, it's to improve the source and no nigga talk. Also the image have a very good quality although the resolution is a bit too small.
>>
>>133751027
>no nigga talk is considered an accomplishment
Read less Mangastream. Viz is pretty bad.
>>
>>133751074
I bet Viz is better than your favorite scanlation group.
>>
>>133751111
Which is a stupid comparison because you don't pay for scanlations while you do for Viz. No shit, it's better. It's supposed to be better. Doesn't mean it's good enough to be worth paying for.
>>
>>133751111
My favorite scanlation groups are my favorites for their taste more than their translation.
>>
>>133751027
>I like Viz there translations are superb
Subtle.
>>
>>133751027
>it's to improve the source
That's not their fucking job. "Improving the source" and having superb translations are mutually exclusive. Also, with English like yours, I'm not sure why you expect us to care about your judgment of a translation.
>>
>>133751111
kill yourself retard
>>
>>133751111
Somehow I don't think so. I'm pretty sure their translator is a professional one, they don't scanlate garbage series and their redraws and resolution aren't completely fucking shit. In fact, they didn't butcher Igarashi Daisuke like Viz did the faggots. So, no, you're definitely wrong.
>>
>>133728883
This is the most /a/ post I've ever read.
>>
>>133751142
Since 6 months or something we have wsjd threads dude. Almost no one pays Viz or CR as we have WSJD-kun and HorribleScans
>>
>>133751177
Name a single scanlation group better than viz. There's none
>>
>>133751190
People are paying them, or else they wouldn't be doing it. Not many /a/nons, but people are. The point is that if you do this as your job and people give you money for it, you've failed if your translations are even on a level with hobbyists, let alone worse than theirs.
>>
>>133751111
/a/ is just salty they don't use -kuns and -chans when they translate
>>
>>133751111
>hating on my rapeman

Any man who can make horseshit entertaining is okay in my book.
>>
>>133751213
But thats the mark of awful translations, nobody likes that shit.
>>
>>133751208
But the point is that they are unironically better than every single scanlation group that does the same series' as them.
>>
>>133738515
Yeah fuck all the software developers of the world. All they make is a pattern of data. No one needs them anyone.

>I hate you and what you stand for. You're trying to take the moral highground over puerile excesses of modern culture.
Seriously fuck you. You don't deserve to live.
>>
>>133751235
>tfw the product I develop is open source and given away for free
>>
>>133751226
This better be bait. There is literally no other way to handle honorifics that's even semi-acceptable.

>>133751227
> that does the same series' as them
That's irrelevant, and I doubt it, anyway. With the number of series they've done, they must overlap with some decent groups.
>>
>>133751220
Stop advertising yourself everytime you have the chance retard
>>
>>133751284
>implying

I can't express I like a certain scanlator without being him myself?
>>
>>133751203
Orange Tangerine did DN better than Viz, even if they misspelled Light as Raito; cause at that time the author hasn't released the official names of the characters
>>
>>133751269
You can just compared their WSJ with the respective groups that do the same series like One Piece, Nisekoi, Bleach, Toriko, Platinum End and so on. All the repective scanlation group are unable to proofread or have something you can even call "english" or "quality".
>>
>>133751298
>implying anyone likes you noname
Kill yourself rapenigga
>>
>>133751336
So you're now dialing back your claim from "they're superb" to "they're better than other groups" to "they're better than the other groups that do the same manga" to "they're better than the other groups that do the same WSJ manga"? That's a lot of backpedaling.
>>
>Scanlation group drop the series because it was licensed
>Dark Horse (6 Volumes - Dropped)

Never forget
>>
>>133751323
That is not misspelled but miss contribulation and conjugalation. Please learn japan to english more.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.