[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PINK. HAIRED. PRINCE.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10
File: utena.jpg (53 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
utena.jpg
53 KB, 550x413
Would you let her protect your smile, /a/?
>>
Escaflowne
>>
Shouldn't she be the one protecting my smile?
>>
File: utena.jpg (415 KB, 1600x1643) Image search: [Google]
utena.jpg
415 KB, 1600x1643
How is the dub? I'm thinking of watching this on Youtube with my little sister. Gonna wind up watching it again subbed anyway.

Also, very kickass duel themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUZr0IuGz1k
>>
>>133551401
juri's final theme was amazing, the ost is pretty fine in general
>>
I'd protect her egg.
>>
File: Egg.png (732 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
Egg.png
732 KB, 720x540
>>133551468
This egg?
>>
>>133551401
The dub is awful, but if she's young she probably won't care.
>>
Is Utena as cool as Oscar?
>>
File: forever alone.jpg (18 KB, 290x269) Image search: [Google]
forever alone.jpg
18 KB, 290x269
>>133551468

No, I'd eat it in the woods in the middle of the night.

>mfw Saionji likes girls who are just entering puberty and rapes them out in the woods
>>
I want to take her for a ride, if you know what I mean.

>>133551401
It's really, really difficult to listen to the English dub, unfortunately.
>>
All the themes and symbolism flew over my head, still glad I watched it.
>>
>>133553698
Utena is like someone who tries to be like Oscar
>>
>>133553931
Was the same with me even after watching it a second time, still one of my favorite shows.
>>
>>133553931
>>133554016
The only stuff that I really pay attention to are the repeating events and recurring instances of objects showing up, like the cars during the fights in the third part and the elevator ride during the Black Rose arc. When the onion prince or whatever his name ends up being purehearted and the elevator stops, that was really cool because of the break in the pattern. That kind of stuff is what makes repetition in the show great.
>>
I want to touch that hair.
>>
Are all the choir songs in the OST?
>>
>>133550715
Maybe you missed the part where she doesn't actually want to protect anyone and deep down wants to be a fucking normalfag.
>>
>>133554109
Akio pls. Though I suppose you did more than tough her hair.
>>
File: 112212232442.gif (569 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
112212232442.gif
569 KB, 500x333
GET IN, KID! WE'RE DRIVING TO THE END OF THE WORLD!
>>
I want to bake cookies for Ansy!
>>
>No bosozoku version of Touya and Saionji
I don't know why I liked them as a pair so much, both were bastards to each other and everyone else but When they worked together they didn't seem bad at all.
>>
>>133551468
That was a pretty shit episode in comparison to the cowbell one.
>>
>>133554135
As far as I can tell, yes. But the full OST is like, 9 discs.
>>
>>133557913
Literally how? I swear that the tracks saw a lot of repeated use over the course of the show.
>>
>>133558048
One is movie OST, another one is arranges CD. I think the rest 6 are anime OST.
>>
What's with the daily Utena threads lately?
>>
>>133559026
People are preparing themselves for the Seahorse Ikuhara anime that was just announced.
>>
>>133559204
>Seahorse Ikuhara anime that was just announced.
Wait, what?
>>
>>133557749
You're insane
>>
File: 5353.gif (42 KB, 900x500) Image search: [Google]
5353.gif
42 KB, 900x500
How could such a manchild shit be so handsome?
>>
>>133560143
It's probably more actually to say that his handsomeness is one of the main causes of him being a manchild.
>>
>>133560939
>more actually to say
more *accurate
>>
>>133554489
Standing like that is dangerous.
>>
I really didn't understand what all of the incest was supposed to represent?
>>
>>133550715
This show was brilliant.
>>
>>133562420
Incest is a bit of a theme in shoujo manga, like homosexual relationships. Though it's probably less prevalent in modern shoujo.
>>
>>133560143
>>133560939
I for one am annoyed at the manchild interpretion. Akio is evil because he GROWN UP and lose sight of his childhood innocent and ideal, resigning to the "based" method like seduction and deceit.(The red car was already stated many time to mean sex and being adult/loss of innocence) Uthena is a heroic figure because she never lose sight of her childhood ideal and success in making it a reality, even some disillusioned adult like Akio told her it is useless. Not going out of academy doesn't equal not growing up, it simply mean you are stagnant rather than finding an ideal solution.

In this anime adult are always present as manipulative and untrusworthy (Miki actually said the adult can't be trust) and the ending theme mentioned "Excuses really suit adults
Who hang on to old stories".

If there are anyone who represent the term "Manchild" it is Saionji who act like impulsive brat rather than any true evil, wrote a diary like toddler scribble and obsess in childhood rivaly with Toga.
>>
>>133554071
I don't interpret him as having pure heart. All the black rose duelist including Nemuro (sp?) has a really strong feeling that they repress and hide from other (the butterfly-to-leaf sequence) . The onion guy however is just butthurt that the girl he thought had a crush on him actually love another guy (He try to woo Utena first, remember?). He also rant about how he expect the girl to crawl back to him after getting dump by the "bad boy" and he will accept her because he is such a "nice guy" who truly love her. Nemuro say he is a really good person but I interpret it as a sarcasm, as he doesn't have a strong, raw feeling needed to be a black rose duelist.
>>
>>133564125
So many people think the onion kid was a good guy. He was an entitled brat.
>>
>>133563647
>Utena never lose sight of her childhood ideal
Except she totally did. What she remembers in the opening sequences is fake. She forgot why she wanted to become a prince (to be able to save Anthy) and the memory got twisted with time into the typical fairy tale meeeting with prince charming. It's part of the whole "idealized past" that all the characters are subject to.
While obviously a good person at heart, Utena was playing prince to make herself looks good.

People call Akio a manchild because he refuses responsabilities and like to hang out with teenagers that are easy to manipulate.
His disillusioned traits are indeed part of what dooms him but it's also because he can't give up on his long lost idealised power, which is immature.
Otherwise I agree with your points about stagnation (but being stagnant can also means not wanting to grow up) and the portrayal of adults as untrustworthy.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.