[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MONSTER
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 11
Hi /a/ I usually never go on this board BUT I just finished monster and wanted to discuss this amazing manga/anime
>>
File: Eva.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Eva.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>>133549279
What is there to talk about? Best girl maybe?
>>
>>133549279
>I usually never go on this board
Deduct 10 marks.
>namefag
Deduct 20 marks.

Barring any meme replies about being overrated shit, it's pretty rare to see any discussion of Monster since it both finished years ago and it's probably been discussed to death. The fact you don't have any particular avenue of enquiry doesn't really help you.
>>
Here's the overrated shit meme.
>>
File: Keaton.jpg (34 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Keaton.jpg
34 KB, 640x480
Can we talk about Master Keaton instead?
>>
>>133549471
It's going to take years for Viz to ever complete that. Where does the anime actually get up to?
>>
>>133549404
It's certainly not Eva. Mayba Nana or that young female doctor.
>>
File: Yawara.jpg (194 KB, 383x601) Image search: [Google]
Yawara.jpg
194 KB, 383x601
>>133549522
I dunno, I only ever saw the first couple of episodes.
Whatever, this is now a Naoki Urasawa thread. All hail the cute.
>>
>>133549691
>lol
Kill yourself. You are no friend of mine.
>>
>>133549429
>>133549463
FUCK YOU GUYS... is Monster really that overrated?
>>133549691
Thanks br/a/h, will do

Here is some discussion for you hostile fucks, what do you think Johan did after he left the hospital?
>>
>>133549835
It's a fucking meme. Educate yourself.
http://www.lurkmore.com/view//a/
>>
I'm genuinely curious to know some theories, also can you guys recommend me some animes/mangas that are similar to monster in the way that its dark and sp00ky
>>
>>133549927
Have you ever read punpun, its great. Probably the best manga of all time haha.
>>
>>133549978
Nope, I just took a quick glance of it and definitely seems interesting will check it out in the near future thanks!
>>
>>133550168
No problem man, watch out for the spoilers on this site.
>>
File: TEXHNOLYZE.jpg (539 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
TEXHNOLYZE.jpg
539 KB, 1600x1200
>>133550168
If you liked monster you should check out pic related.
>>
>>133549279
so should I read it or watch it
how faithful is the anime?
>>
>first time on /a/
>crossboarder
>namefag
>elipses and other shit
Why has no one tried to get dubs yet?
>>
>>133552129
because before you get dubs you first got to check em
>>
Monster is a great anime, sorry for all the shitposters. Master Keaton is great and similar but not dark and very episodic. You might like Kaze no Youjinbou.
>>
Check out Skull Man
>>
10/10

Monster best anime.
>>
21st Century Boys > Pluto > Monster
>>
>>133549835
half of /a/ has inferiority complex so don't let it mind you.
>>
>>133554019
Literally the opposite order
>>
>>133549835
>what do you think Johan did after he left the hospital?
He didn't. Realistically speaking there's no way he left the hospital as he was arrested for making a whole town kill each other. It'd be stupid to think cops would have left him alone.
Him disappearing either means he died or symbolizes the end of the story, as the "Monster" (a concept) dies (because Tenma broke the cycle of violence)
>>
There's nothing more grating to me than newfags who are obsessed with crap by Naoki Kurosawa
>>
File: 1429036846971.jpg (18 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1429036846971.jpg
18 KB, 600x600
>>133555710
>>
>>133549279
>>133549463
Fuck you, at best it's a masterpiece of mediocrity, I'm so tired of you faggots all praising it, Urasawa can't write for shit.
>>
Worst ending i've ever seen
>>
File: 4453841-9878043484-johan[1].jpg (27 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
4453841-9878043484-johan[1].jpg
27 KB, 640x480
>>133549279
Welcome.

I finished Monster a week ago after it had been in my backlog for years, my aptitude for watching anime over 24 episodes is wearing away. When I started I got through 24 episodes in no time.

I loved it, it reminded me of why I liked anime in the first place in that it wasn't condescending and pandering
>>
>>133557896
I couldn't get into the visuals of the anime but I really enjoyed the manga.
>>
>>133557045
I think if Johan had not had a possibly metaphorical disappearing act it would have been better.

Tenma absolved himself of the guilt of having chose to save Johan's life and had found out why he was so fucked up.

Then the last ten seconds happens. Why are some writers obsessed with last second twists?
>>
>>133549279
Back to where you came from faggot
>>
>>133557933
Manga is a lot better

>>133557956
I found Johan's disappearance pretty good on a thematic level. If it's metaphorical as I believe it is (the last chapter hints on that with all the visions and the title "the real monster"), it's a good way of closing the story.
>>
>>133557933
What was it about the anime's visuals you didn't like? The drabness and colour palette?

I wanted to collect the manga but even with the combined editions it would cost a fair bit and I haven't collected a series over ten volumes for a long time.
>>
>>133555403
Well it was Johan, he was one competent cunt.
I also think I've heard about some supplementary material that continues his story or at least states he lives on.

Anyway OP, read 20th Century Boys by the same author. Has to be the best manga I've ever read.
>>
>>133558027
I want it so bad, are the combined editions any good?
>>
>>133549471
>influence de la civilisation méditerranéenne
Monster is really really old. Is the anime as good as the manga?
>>
>>133558312
Nope, the manga works a lot better in terms of pacing, dialogues, staging. Even the drawings are better.
You're better off reading the manga while listening to the anime OST
>>
>>133549835
>what do you think Johan did after he left the hospital?
He went around and killed more people.

See, the joke of Johan is that he continually keeps fucking up people to get them to waste their life hunting him and killing him, all while leaving as little evidence as possible. He does this because he's bored of the world and because it makes him appreciate the world more. Basically, he's doing a larger version of the rooftop walk that he convinced the children to do with each other. And like he showed, he calmly walks on the rooftop, calmly planning everything.

Johan also does this for laughs and giggles. Basically the 'help me, the monster inside of me is getting bigger'' bullshit he did on Tenma. Johan tries to do a bullshit explanation for why he kills people. At first, we think it's because of 511, but then he learn he was fucked before that. Then we think it was the Rose Mansion. But it wasn't him, it was his sister. So when Tenma finally accepts Johan and forgives him, Johan throws a final lie to fuck with Tenma, sementing doubt about whether or not Johan was caused to become a Monster or was born a Monster.

And so, after that Johan runs away, to do what he always did before, kill more people and to test fate by getting people to kill him so that he can get out of it by doing as little as possible. All to enjoy life.
>>
File: 1417372053435.jpg (27 KB, 283x438) Image search: [Google]
1417372053435.jpg
27 KB, 283x438
>>133549279
>You will never go on a picnic with Grimer to eat cheese and drink wine
>>
File: manga is better.jpg (33 KB, 244x210) Image search: [Google]
manga is better.jpg
33 KB, 244x210
>>133558495
Thanks for the advise. I'm on chapter 71. It get really intense.
>>
>>133557045
The ending of Monster is great. The only reason you didn't like the ending is because you simply didn't understand Johan.

Johan is basically playing a game against fate. Getting people to try and kill him, corner him and then escape that impossible spot by casually mind fucking them.

However, this was before he remembered his past. Before that, he had no purpose in life. A clue to this is whenever he talks to children, he's not talking to them, he's talking about himself because he still considers himself a child. So after he remember about Bonaparta, he wanted him dead and wanted to actually end himself. To do so, he was going to tempt fate again but backwards. He was going to commit a perfect suicide by planning everything and making sure nothing would stop Tenma from killing him.
And out of all the perfect planning Johan did, a random fluke saved him. Fate, this time, defeated Johan by actually saving him.
It's brilliant.

And then Johan inserts doubt in Tenma's mind and goes back to getting people to kill him.

All the clues to understanding Johan are right there. You just have to look for them. Urasawa once said in an interview that Johan was his most developed and written character he's ever made and it shows.
>>
>>133558616
Just to clarify things, you're talking about Monster, right? I don't know about Master Keaton (although I guess manga is still better, it's a lot different from Monster, Pluto, 20CB and Billy Bat)

Avoid this thread if that's the case, you're getting spoiled
>>
>>133558685
Of course monster. I'm off for no more spoilers.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.