[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do a lot of anime fans not get into mecha?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 75
File: gundam_0079_char_kick.jpg (27 KB, 632x276) Image search: [Google]
gundam_0079_char_kick.jpg
27 KB, 632x276
>>
Because the concept of a giant robots fighting with light sabers is dumb as fuck.
>>
>>133498051
It is, pretty much.

They should've stopped after Evangelion, but it's hard to change something that's so heavily rooted in jap culture.
>>
old an gay
>>
>>133497913
I'm sure a portion also find the overwhelming universe of Gundam and other mech anime intimidating and confusing on a starting point.
>>
>>133497913
Yeah, I had to learn it from the internet that mecha love wasn't so widespread.

I got into anime in college, and this was before the internet was huge or before Toonami was even a thing so every person I knew that liked anime, including some professors who seemed to only know Japanese for the sake of Chinese robot cartoons and comics, were watching old fansubbed Gundams on huge archives of VHS tapes.

So then by the late 90s you had stuff like G Gundam and Gundam Wing on TV and everybody I knew seemed pretty cool with mecha even if the craze was more fightin' shounens like DBZ and sci-fi series like Bebop and Outlaw Star.

So a significant amount of the population being so ambivalent on mecha at large online caught me off guard, although with the dearth of really good mecha stuff in the 21st century, I can understand it more as time goes on.

Honestly, I'm still more confused as to why crap like harems are so popular rather than why everybody seem so polarized over mecha.
>>
>>133497913
Because theres /m/ for mecha discussions?
>>
>>133497913
Because they're faggots who suck dick and only watch babby's first meme shows like EVA or GL and then whatever crap is trendy at the moment.
>>
Because the more traditional mechas require for the audience to have an natural interest in robots/armored vehicles/warmachines/automobiles/etc. Many shows rely on the "wow isn't that cool" factor to carry the audiences interest.

Extremely exaggerated super mecha shows are more easily accessible of course.
>>
>>133497913
Cause Knights and Magic isn't animated yet.
>>
>>133498617
>Honestly, I'm still more confused as to why crap like harems are so popular
wish fulfillment

But mechas (specially gundam) requires a tough sell on mechanics and physics that I find weird. I mean even if you can build a humanoid robot (and not crash under it own weight in human form), why would you use a light saber as a melee weapon? Even "heavy object" get this right.
>>
>>133498768
Nice bait, /m/
>>
>>133497913
why is that robot wearing a skirt in space?
>>
>>133499016
It's true though
>>
File: 1366058339141.png (300 KB, 469x540) Image search: [Google]
1366058339141.png
300 KB, 469x540
What kind of faggot hates giant robots duking it out?
Seriously.
>>
>>133497913
Only kids like giant robots
>>
>>133499164
Infantryfags.
>>
>>133498051
>Because the concept of a giant robots fighting with light sabers is dumb as fuck.

This.

Also, what kind of retard civilization would have the technology to build said mechs, then decide that it would be a good idea to let humans ride and control them? It makes no sense.

Finally, most people like to watch the struggles of the characters, watching them grow stronger and smarter throughout the show, something which is close to impossible to portray in a satisfactory way in a mech show, due to the gary stue-ish effect of mechs.
>>
>>133497913
I've been trying to get into mecha recently, but I'm realizing that I don't really care about the technical side of stuff that seems to draw a lot of people. I mean, I know nothing about vehicles or weaponry or military tactics, so that stuff doesn't hook me.
>>
>mechas after 20xx
>>
>>133497913
STEM autism is cool now.
>>
>>133498972
>But mechas (specially gundam) requires a tough sell on mechanics and physics that I find weird

Do you really think so? I never really thought of it much like a grounded speculative fiction kind of thing, the kind you might see William Gibson write about. There's some technospeak and some fancy quantum particles that do things and the thing works with the assumption that it undergoes extensive maintenance.

I never really thought about it too much. Mechs from Mazingers to Gundams look like knights or samurai so it made sense that they weren't just weapon platforms to launch projectiles like a gunship or a naval carrier with fighter jets that can attack from miles away, but would engage each other at close range with melee weaponry or even their own fists. The weapon will work or it doesn't and the hero(or villain) will have to resort to something else. It's not a video game or a tabletop game where you have to roll above a certain threshold to do damage, it's scripted fiction.

"Suspension of disbelief" is not really a satisfying answer, I'll admit, but I feel like for these kinds of things, it's better to apply logic and judgment to how the characters act within their own universe, and how the writers are handling it, rather than judge the basic fundamental engineering and design sentiments like we're Pentagon consultants.
>>
Real robot shit nowadays is boring as fuck and mostly just poorly executed garbage for dumb teenagers thanks to SEED's popularity

Super robot shows are mostly dead because no one wants to take on TTGL or can manage to try without just ending up sidetracked by other obnoxious anime shit

I'd bet people would watch a show that aped patlabor or the comfier episodes of GitS SAC, though
>>
>>133499016
>facts are bait now
>>
>>133499513
>>133498768
>only newfags don't watch mecha
That's why you guys needed your own board, right? Because everyone in 2004 loved you and wanted you around.
>>
>>133497913
>Why do a lot of anime fans not get into mecha?
Most of the time it's because they forget their keys at home, or alternatively, they're trying to get in through the head while the cockpit's usually in the torso.
>>
>>133497913
Because it's cordoned off on /m/ where no-one ever has to see it.

GBF and Macross were both fine.
>>
>>133497913
It's something you either like or you don't, with most people not liking it. You can't be taught to like it.
>>
>>133499854
Oh, and Sidonia was good too.

>>133499628
And it even had someone getting in through the head when the cockpit was in the torso.
>>
>>133497913
It's formulaic in a completely separate way than usual anime is. It has it's own set of tropes and barriers that prevent people from jumping in and enjoying it.

It's the same way newfags can't jump in and start watching certain shows. They need to be eased into it.
>>
Why haven't you watched Layzner yet, /a/?
>>
>>133499507
Reals began and died back in the 80s friend. Everything since then has been Super.
>>
>>133498303
Fucking this. Most mecha sounds like shit to me, but there a couple of Gundam series I would like to watch. But do I need to watch three hundred episodes before I can enjoy something decent?
>>
>>133497913
I don't know. As someone not into Mecha, I can't explain it.
Maybe there just isn't enough shows about people beating up Mechas to inspire the soul of humanity within us.
>>
>>133498303
Because /m/ makes it seem like Gundam must be watched in order just so the viewer can understand the two references that pop up from series to series.

They even created the popular chart that suggests that you must watch EVERY FUCKING GUNDAM in order which is just retarded.
>>
>>133500050
Only correct way of watching Gundam "0079, then whatever the fuck you want".
>>
>>133500050
>They even created the popular chart that suggests that you must watch EVERY FUCKING GUNDAM in order which is just retarded.
But it's a good idea though.
>>
>>133499418
>Finally, most people like to watch the struggles of the characters, watching them grow stronger and smarter throughout the show, something which is close to impossible to portray in a satisfactory way in a mech show, due to the gary stue-ish effect of mechs.
Have you ever watched a mecha show?
>>
>>133500050
No, it's a chart made for people who intend to watch EVERY FUCKING GUNDAM, and of course if you're going to do that do it in order
>>
>>133500021
As someone into mecha, I will say it's just something you're naturally predisposed to or not. No series is going to get you into mecha shit if you aren't already predisposed to it.
>>
>>133498303
>>133500003
This baffles me, if there's some shows you want to watch then watch them. we now live on the age where you just have to look up the episode list on wikipedia, read that for 5-10 minutes and move on with the show, what's so hard?
>>
>>133500125
Ah well see, I'm not sure if I'm into it or not. I played Super Robot Wars and I fucking loved it but I'm not sure if that translates to liking Mecha in general or just SRW and the concept of massive crossovers.
>>
>>133500173
Because that makes you a faggot who isn't into mecha shows.
>>
>>133500003
Each series is only slightly referential, even the ones that take place directly after the previous.

For example Zeta has Amuro from MSG in it but only makes mention of his activities in the original a couple of times. It's even worse from Zeta to ZZ which muddies up a lot of shit.

Gundam just isn't written with continuity in mind but for some reason /m/tards pretend it is.
>>
>>133497913
But they do. Anime fans always talk about shit like Code Grass, Eva, or Gundam Wing. You even have things like the autistic Robotech fanbase in the US of A.
>>
>>133500201
Just watch/read some mecha and see if you enjoy it or not
>>
because you cant fap to robots
easy logic
>>
>>133500226
So? we have just established that a lot of people aren't into it, but some that might be are somehow paralized into inactivity because they think they have to watch everything?

Fuck that pathetic shit, it's like the people who have netflix and tell you they don't know what to watch on it
>>
>>133500338
You know, that's some pretty sound logic. I'm just going to pick a random series and go at it.
>>
File: Is this nigga for real.png (166 KB, 331x361) Image search: [Google]
Is this nigga for real.png
166 KB, 331x361
I don't understand people who don't like mecha because it's illogical. You know you're watching Anime right?
>>
>>133500409
Just don't pick anything Gundam related, that is the giant festering sinkhole that makes people go "Oh, ok" and walk away.
>>
>>133500409
I suggest Gunbuster, mainly because it's short and sweet
>>
>>133500443
It's a subgenre like harem. Not everyone likes watching the dealings of 1 guy and 5 girls and not everyone likes robot wars.
>>
>>133500453
Right on. I'll avoid Gundam for the moment then.
>>
>>133500443
pic unrelated???
>>
>>133500409
I could maybe recommend you something if you don't feel like going with the dartboard method. Or you could look up some of the series from one of the SRWs you played that looked cool to you.
>>
File: holyshit3.jpg (53 KB, 704x528) Image search: [Google]
holyshit3.jpg
53 KB, 704x528
>>133497913
>Why do a lot of anime fans not get into mecha?
Why should they? By the sheer quantity, most anime fans probably have seen at least a couple and probably didn´t like it.
>But you didn´t watch the good ones
Same thing for any media/genre. People have different desires and most don´t need a mecha to be entertained.
>>
>>133500455
Sweet. I'll start that after work then. I'm about to hit my weekend so I should be able to bust it out in two days.
>>
>>133498051
That's not an excuse when your generic harem or most fighting shonen are equally dumb.
>>
People will watch anything if there's enough hype surrounding it.
>>
>>133500519
If you ever feel like reading a mecha manga, I would suggest Getter Robo Saga since it's really good and not as long as it might seem at first.
>>
>>133497913
Mecha is for manly men, and anime is not something that attracts manly types. In that way, it is a bit of an anomaly.
>>
>>133500756
>Mecha is for manly men
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
no
>>
>>133499418
>I have never seen any early Gundam
>>
>>133499418
>Also, what kind of retard civilization would have the technology to build said mechs, then decide that it would be a good idea to let humans ride and control them? It makes no sense.
How is this a bad idea? Super machines combined with human intelligence/awareness is a win-win.
>>
>>133500787
There is literally nothing more manly than 2 giant robots blowing up the shit out of eachother. Well, other than 2 giant robots riding dragons and blowing shit up.
>>
>>133500558
See anon, here's the thing, everyone can relate to being in high school and dealing with that awkward romance bullshit that harems thrive on, or we have all wanted to beat up someone in our lives (specially as a teenager) that halps explain why most of that shit is popular.

Few people can relate to wanting to pilot a mecha because not all people are military otakus, kinda like the people who like flight sims. Jets are cool, piloting a jet is cool, but not everyone is into jets or can relate to it.
>>
>>133500787
Straight men have a natural attraction to mechanics and technology. That's why kids play with cars and not dolls, and why men are into cars and tools while women are into making themselves look good. Mecha is the most manly anime genre of them all, but most manly men don't watch anime so therein lies the problem.
>>
>>133500923
This.
>>
I'm a huge mechafag, so I was curious about this myself. I actually found out the answer to this from a relatively normalfag friend.

His interpretation of mecha is that they are solely MotW. He said he thought the idea of watching a show where it was just a matter of "I have the better robot! No I have the better robot!" was lame. I explained to him that not all mecha was like that, explaining to him that Gundam explored the ideas of war and Evangelion was... well Evangelion. He still seemed off put by the idea, stating that he cared more about character interactions than robots.

At this point, I went "Eh, your loss." and continued watching Shin Mazinger Z.

tl;dr: Most people think mecha shows are just giant robots fighting and they think that's boring for some reason.
>>
liking mecha is the classical sign of true "otaku" because it tends to conglomerate stereotypical otaku interests

its basically like the same as someone liking Star Trek and Dungeons & Dragons in America
>>
>>133500923
>Mecha is the most manly anime genre of them all, but most manly men don't watch anime
No you moron, Mecha is definitely aimed at boys, not men, little kids or young teenagers. who are most certainly NOT men (at least not yet) if you said it's aimed at the male spectrum of anime then yes, you would be correct, but fucking "Manly men" really? seriously?
>>
>>133499418
>>133500827

Would make far more sense to have them piloted remotely.
>>
>>133501023
Hardcore mecha fans have their head up their own asshole
Why do you think we have an /m/ board in the first place?
>>
>>133497913
It appeals order fans.
>>
>>133501047
Tetsujin and Giant Robo say hello. You can blame Mazinger for popularizing robots being controlled from the inside.
>>
>>133501023
Anime is aimed at youth. Mecha is one of the only genres that attracts adult men. The average age of Universal Century fans in Japan is well in their 30's. The new Gundam Thunderbolt anime has been stated to be aimed at middle-aged men.

While anime by and large is targeted at teens, why is it that mecha can also attract adults? It really shouldn't have to be explained. Men like machines. We like robotics, we like technology. Men go into engineering, men go into computer science. Men own big PCs and loud cars.

Straight men, of course.
>>
>>133499997
Doesn't stop people from following the shitty gundam formula with maybe a handful of super robots and a million harmless zaklones
>>
>>133498303
No you tard. That chart was created because a people want to watch all the gundam shows but don't know where to start.
>>
>>133501136
You're talking about gunota. Manchildren don't count as men anon.
>>
File: designers.png (659 KB, 1280x829) Image search: [Google]
designers.png
659 KB, 1280x829
>>
Mecha remained the niche it's always been while the rest of anime kept growing. It's just a nerdy, really specific thing that you have to have an interest in, while most other anime is more general-interest concepts. I mean, one or two series about this rather specific sci-fi concept would be fine, which is why Eva and TTGL broke out, but it being such a repeated setting? It's just excessive to hold the average person's attention
>>
>>133501136
>Mecha is one of the only genres that attracts adult men. The average age of Universal Century fans in Japan is well in their 30's.
This is probably due to nostalgia in Japan rather than masculinity. See if that happens anywhere else in the world. Masculine men want to fuck women.
>>
>>133501276
You can keep ignoring facts, that's your choice. If you were a straight male, you would naturally be aware of these things.
>>
File: Gouf.jpg (230 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Gouf.jpg
230 KB, 1920x1200
I usually don't care for the mecha designs (pic one of the few exceptions) and that's the only focus in most mecha.
>>
File: NotEvenTrying.png (80 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
NotEvenTrying.png
80 KB, 500x501
>>133501136
>big boy likes big robots!
>>
>>133501299
>Masculine men want to fuck women.
They also wanna built shit and learn about technology. Men like robots, that's all there is to it.
>>
Time to grab some popcorn
>>
File: 1445375058333.jpg (42 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
1445375058333.jpg
42 KB, 512x288
I want to start getting into giant robots beating the shit out of each other, since it looks orgasmic, but /m/ really keeps making the genre look really fucking pretentious.
>>
>>133501360
Is that all men do? do you attribute every other accomplishment of humanity to women and gays? Are you saying war is for fag?
>>
File: 1260997132906.jpg (26 KB, 410x365) Image search: [Google]
1260997132906.jpg
26 KB, 410x365
>this entire thread
>>
>>133497913
I don't know, OP.
Sucks for them if they can't appreciate some real sexy beasts
>>
File: cmacbs4k.jpg (431 KB, 1124x480) Image search: [Google]
cmacbs4k.jpg
431 KB, 1124x480
One of these things is more manly than the other.
>>
>>133501514
But both are great
>>
>>133501514
>TAKBIR
>>
>>133501490
>/m/ really keeps making the genre look really fucking pretentious.
What are some examples you've seen of this?
>>
>>133501490
The majority of mecha isn't that pretentious, just the fanbase is
example
>MC stabs bad guy with beamsword
>This is totally a 0079 reference
>[wall of text on how it represents politics and psychology]
>clearly this was influenced by [animator]
>>
>>133501514
Are you really so insecure you have to make sure everything you watch is 'manly'?
>>
File: 1447277972988.png (795 KB, 934x1000) Image search: [Google]
1447277972988.png
795 KB, 934x1000
>>133501514
>>133501548
>tfw no Lucky Star/Gunn Dumb crossover
>>
>>133501490
/m/ is essentially the spic board. Don't take it seriously and enjoy your giant robots. You can even start this season with the somewhat decent IBO.
>>
File: 2.jpg (317 KB, 714x480) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
317 KB, 714x480
One of these things is more manly than the other
>>
>>133501571
What >>133501502 said is an actual perfect example what with that manchild a few posts above positing that mecha is the anime of manly men like it's been part of the Armstrong family for generations!
>>
>>133501571

this post explains it
>>133501588
Mixed in with both how /m/fags always avatarfag LoGH characters, and brag about how "Gundum is for enlightened and intelligent men like myself who can examine mature and deep themes" and shit talk shows like TTGL for being childish when, lets face it, they're both just giant robots beating the shit out of each other.
>>
>>133501656
>the spic board
What do spics have to do with giant robots aside from a couple rarely talked about mecha series?
>>
>>133501490
Usually 4chan contains the better part of the fanbase, but /m/ is a complete exception. Even MAL probably has a better mecha community.
>>
>>133501740
Maybe those rarely talked mecha series that aired in spic countries somehow got more of them into mecha or something. There are tons of spics on /m/.
>>
>>133501660
Gonna say the left one?
>>
>>133501740
Gunpla attracts spics and pinoys for some reason, not sure about the other parts of /m/ though.
>>
>>133501660
Left: Becomes a god to save everyone she loves
Right: AINA! I LOVE YOU!
>>
File: F91-verka.jpg (45 KB, 327x459) Image search: [Google]
F91-verka.jpg
45 KB, 327x459
>>133501504
>really sexy beasts
>posts 00 trash
Real gundams have curves
>>
>>133501777
Gonna say you're retarded.
>>
>>133500495
This is the only reason I ever even heard of a quarter of the mecha shows I watched like dancouga
>>
>>133501812
Gonna say manly people don't need robots to fight
>>
>>133501808
F91 is great too. 00 Anime may be shit, but Exia never fails to give me the hardest boner.
>>
File: Silverbullet.jpg (64 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Silverbullet.jpg
64 KB, 400x400
>>133501808
But the sexiest Gundam doesn't have curves.
>>
File: ebikawa'd.png (198 KB, 500x777) Image search: [Google]
ebikawa'd.png
198 KB, 500x777
>>
>>133500872
>Jets are cool, piloting a jet is cool

That's enough to watch a show. You think everyone who gets into Breaking Bad wants to start a criminal empire or are chemistry nuts? Robots are cool, piloting a robot is cool. I'm not a military nut, nor a machine nut, nor a mechatronics engineer, but I want to watch giant robots beat each other up.

Gundam and mecha genre isn't for everyone but that's a dumb as fuck reason.
>>
>>133501871
Only a libtard (the least manly people on the planet) would bring fists to a gunfight.
>>
>>133501783
The rarely talked about series are DP series like Mazinger, Getter, Jeeg and the like. They were all pretty popular when they aired, or at least I know Mazinger was for a fact. So >>133501770 is probably pretty accurate.
>>
>>133498972
>>133499506
It's just as hard to believe a loser nerdling is going to (not) get his dick wet with six girls.
>>
>>133497913
You mean western fans, right? Mecha is probably the second most popular genre in Japan right now, only behind idolshit.
>>
>>133500923

Mecha is the most *yaoi* anime genre of them all

fixed
>>
File: Barbatos_1st_Form_Front.png (171 KB, 300x560) Image search: [Google]
Barbatos_1st_Form_Front.png
171 KB, 300x560
>>133501504
>>133501808
>>133501877

I actually really like the bare-bones design of Barbatos, now if only I knew they weren't gonna fuck it up with a mid-season upgrade to simply turn it into another Wing Zero/Strike Freedom/00 Raizer/etc.
>>
>>133501869
It's funny to think about how many people are introduced to various mecha series due to SRW when the intended appeal of it is to see your favorite series interact with your other favorites.
>>
>>133497913
They get into mecha when it's successfully marketed and hyped enough - Eva, Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, Aldnoah Zero. There's not much more to it than that.
>>
File: Are you kidding me.jpg (308 KB, 800x584) Image search: [Google]
Are you kidding me.jpg
308 KB, 800x584
I knew I shouldn't have opened the thread, but I did anyway.
>>
>>133501219
F-fuck you.
>>
>>133502019
Barbatos reminds me of a less sexy Atlus.
>>
>>133501991
>Mecha is probably the second most popular genre in Japan right now
Are you talking in terms of what is getting created or in terms of what is selling?
>>
>>133502263
Just overall.
>>
>>133501656
>/pol/ in here
If anything /m/ is something strictly made to appeal to japs, its always been that way.
>>
File: mu245535.jpg (2 MB, 1320x2080) Image search: [Google]
mu245535.jpg
2 MB, 1320x2080
>>133502003
>>
>>133500923
>>133500756
>>133501136
Your description of a "straight man who loves mecha" sounds a lot like an obnoxious frat bro.
>>
>>133502417
You sound a lot like a tumblrite trying to remove gender roles.
>>
>>133501588
>[wall of text on how it represents politics and psychology]
>clearly this was influenced by [animator]

>what /a/ thinks /m/ talks about

>what /m/ actually talks about
>>
>>133502417
>>133502460
You sound like people who badly need to fuck
>>
>>133502460
>thinking normalfags are obnoxious makes you tumblr
?
>>
>>133502460
>I'm a straight manly man who doesn't like any fagboy stuff, look at my big car
Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1431331943418.jpg (976 KB, 864x1296) Image search: [Google]
1431331943418.jpg
976 KB, 864x1296
>>133497913
I love mecha.
It fucking baffles me that there are people who hate mecha.
>>
>>133502564
Most of them are at the very least bisexual.
>>
>>133497913
When I watch mecha anime, I'm never really interested in the mechas themselves. I just enjoy the characters, like any other type of anime.
>>
File: graze kai.png (159 KB, 460x425) Image search: [Google]
graze kai.png
159 KB, 460x425
>>133497913
shitposts in this thread aside, I think it is because mecha in itself, has a niche demographic such as sentai.
Another reason I think anime fans don't get invested in mecha is because Gundam in a way has almost become synonymous with the term "mecha" generally speaking and many people are intimidated by the huge franchise because there are so many iterations to choose from
>>
>>133502665
That's mostly how I feel too.
>>
>>133501047
But...super hacking!
>>
Why is it only Gundam pics whenever these threads happen?
>>
>>133501660
Mami getting her head bitten off was pretty manly of her.
>>
>>133502844
What show comes to your mind when you think mecha? If you don't say Gundam, you are being dishonest.
>>
>>133502355
>suggesting Turn A Gundam without watching the other ones first
There is a special place in hell for people like you.
>>
>>133502901
It doesn't because I don't obsess over Gundam like the pleb majority on 4chan. Gaogaigar or Big O if you were wondering.
>>
>>133502939
>watching Turn A
>>
File: Transformers-Cartoon-Wallpapers.jpg (108 KB, 1024x740) Image search: [Google]
Transformers-Cartoon-Wallpapers.jpg
108 KB, 1024x740
>>133502901
This.
>>
>>133502901
>What show comes to your mind when you think mecha?
Dragon's Heaven
>>
>>133502901
Patlabor. Sorry for being casual.
>>
>>133502939
>mfw when there are people who saw the borjarnon show up in turn A and thought nothing of it
>>
>>133502901
Mazinger Z. And no, I'm not a spic.
>>
I like Mecha. Hell, I'm starting Evangelion.
>>
>>133502956
>not watching Turn A
>>
>>133500923
Out of all genres, it feels bizarre how much effort mecha tries to put in to have universal appeal. Like, while the robots themselves are clearly meant to appeal to boys, the series usually have straight up shoujo relationship stuff in them and the characters to go along with it, along side the "oh, war is terrible" politics. The whole thing usually results is this awkward design by committee feel that I cannot shake.
>>
>>133498051
How is that more stupid than teenagers running around with swords or some beta attracting dozens of beautiful women?
>>
File: 1418170399722.jpg (99 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
1418170399722.jpg
99 KB, 1280x1707
>>133502901
Evangelion
>>
>>133502901
Getter Robo. I am also not a spic.
>>
>>133502901
Zeorymer because it was my first and what got me into it
>>
/a/ seems more like the Macross type. Great taste actually because the franchise is superior than the rigid and outdated Gundam.
>>
>>133503236
Haven't you heard?
Evangelion is not about the robots.
>>
>>133500003
All of universal century Gundam is good in its own way. If anything, you may find that the newer shows don't really hold up to the classics. Everyone praises War in the Pocket as the best Gundam, and it's old as shit.
>>
>>133503354
I know, but it's still what comes to mind when I hear "mecha"
>>
>>133503354
Neither is Gundam. It's harder to find mecha that are only about the mechs and nothing else nowadays.
>>
>>133497913
It's only the plebs that don't. Anyone with a real powerlevel who isn't a filthy casual watches /m/ stuff.
>>
>>133503354
it kinda is even though it's later in the plot and in the movie they become more relevant in regards to the focus of the series but as elements in its setting they are constantly relevant
>>
>>133503409
>>133503448
I confess, i was baiting.
Seriously, you can't possibly be a show about any single thing.
>>
>>133500756
Mecha is pretty much the only thing I watch and I'm a girl. Just love 'em mech designs.
>>
File: really faggot.png (343 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
really faggot.png
343 KB, 720x480
>>133503680
>i was baiting
>>
>>133497913
They are ignorant of how much of a backbone of anime history the big mecha titles always have been. So yeah, plebs.
>>
>>133503772
>caring about "anime history" when you decide what to watch
I'd rather be a pleb than a pretentious faggot.
>>
>>133502901
transformer or robotech/macross and i still think that the existence of mecha in those anime are less stupid than gundam and more practical
>>
File: 1447473374012.jpg (343 KB, 520x2785) Image search: [Google]
1447473374012.jpg
343 KB, 520x2785
>watching mecha for the robutts
only /m/ autists do that
>>
>>133503729
You probably had all guy friends growing up, though. Just like there are girly guys, there are guy-ish girls.
>>
>>133503772
mediag.jp/project/project/images/JapaneseAnimationGuide.pdf
Here's some light reading if you care about robot "anime history"
>>
File: 1447046579295.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1447046579295.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>133503890
you call them faggots, ie /a/
>>
>>133503849
The best love story ever told.
>>
>>133503729
>I'm a girl
Modern mecha is mostly for girls anyway, seriously.
Guys watch Precure & Madoka
Girls watch Gundam and Code Geass
>>
>>133503849
so what is this image implying with your post?
cuz wing didn't have the best characters
>>
>>133503890
Maybe, and this is just a crazy idea I'm throwing out there, maybe you're wrong. It's not a big deal. You're allowed to be wrong. Everyone's wrong about things all the time. Most people are wrong about most things, then they find out they're wrong and they "learn".

Maybe try it sometime.
>>
I like /m/echa, but what exactly is 'manly' about watching nothing but men with 6-packs? Isnt that more gay than watching qt girls?

Im a flaming faggot so it makes sense, but for your staights it doesnt.
>>
>>133500951
>He still seemed off put by the idea, stating that he cared more about character interactions than robots.
You did a shit job of explaining that mecha aren't really about robots.

Hell, show him Aquarion. It's monster of the week but nobody gives a flying fuck about the robutts.
>>
>>133497913
I like the mecha action but the stories are often too childlish and cringe.
For example Gundam with all it's "political" struggles.

Also mechas are fucking dumb in a /k/ way
>>
>>133504020

its implying that Wing is hilarious

it was the proto Code Geass
>>
>>133497913
a lot of it is the same shit every single time

gundam contaminated the genre with the introduction of pseudo intellectual M-MUH MILITARY MORALS

sunrise will never top kyoshin gorg
>>
>>133504075
If you said which gundam had dumb political struggles, we can point you to a better one.
>>
>>133504039
Yeah but I'm not wrong here. 95% of gundam fans are male, according to a recent poll, and something like 98% of Votoms watchers are male.
>>
>>133504161
Turn A Gundam
Wing
Zeta Gundam
SEED

Enjoyed 08MS Team and Votoms if that can help although I'm not really looking for recommendation I pretty much gave up on the genre
>>
>>133504161
>dumb political struggles
So, political struggles then?
>>
File: eureka7art3.jpg (64 KB, 1278x718) Image search: [Google]
eureka7art3.jpg
64 KB, 1278x718
Eureka 7 was a masterpiece.
>>
File: TominoSPEAKS.jpg (68 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
TominoSPEAKS.jpg
68 KB, 600x600
>>133504075
>>
>>133504338
>Eureka 7 was a masterpiece
>posts AO

I hate you
>>
>>133497913
As someone who almost dropped utawarerumono near the end back in the days because it resembled mecha a tiny little bit

because it looks unforgivably stupid
>>
>>133504295
>giving up on all of mecha because of Gundam
>>
>>133504072
Aquarion's not a very good way to get anyone interested in anything.
>>
File: 1445634024630.jpg (2 MB, 1648x5950) Image search: [Google]
1445634024630.jpg
2 MB, 1648x5950
>>133504048
>but what exactly is 'manly' about watching nothing but men with 6-packs? Isnt that more gay than watching qt girls?
Very.
>>
Is 008th MS team a good starting point to get into gundam? It reminds me of Metal Gear in that it portrays mechs in a realistic setting which is what's drawing me towards it.
>>
>>133504485
Sure, why not.
It really doesn't matter.
They are all more or less self contained.

Try 0080, it's shorter and tidier, if you want.
>>
>>133504483
You watch mecha for the mecha and political / war elements, anon. It's not my fault you like penis.

By the way, most of those shots were making fun of faggots. You've taken them out of context.
>>
>>133504485
08th MS team is sort of standalone, but I would suggest just starting at the start, with the 0079 movies.
>>
>>133504458
I read Mazinger and watched the Patlabor movies, not much else to watch except macross and gundam
>>
>>133504485
It's fine if you want something not at all like all other Gundam series. The only one less like Gundam than that is G Gundam.
>>
File: bask-om.jpg (49 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
bask-om.jpg
49 KB, 600x450
>>133504537
>being this insecure
>>
>>133504483
>no Candidate for Goddess

What are you, some kind of hetero?
>>
>>133504571
Actually, looking at it again, almost none of those have anything to do with gayness, just a shot taken at a time where 2 men happen to be on screen.
>>
>>133504483
>accel world on list
>giant gorg isn't

????????????????????
>>
>>133504537
I watch mecha for romance subplots and mystical/spiritual conspiracy bullshit.
>>
>>133504485
Just watch the 1st ep of Unicorn.
That one 60 mintue ep has everything a any fan could want.
>>
Everyone knows the best Gundam show is GBF.
>>
>>133504611
Do you have a gay screencap for it?
>>
I actually only got into mecha as a child (when I was 6-8 I was watching some mecha anime on tv in the 90s)
>>
File: 1446755537804.png (370 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1446755537804.png
370 KB, 640x480
>>133504595
oh, /m/ what are we going to do with you?
>>
>>133504624
Watching Unicorn first is spoiling yourself though, everything else will seem worse.
>>
>>133504654
Try is better
>>
>>133504668
It's true. Only like 3 of those shots are gay, and even those were not taken seriously.
>>
>>133504654
Best Gundam is X. GBF is the best Gundam since then, though. I cry a little whenever I try to search for Reiji and Aila doujinshi and only find 10 of them with none translated.
>>
>>133504672
It's the best.
No apology for watching the best.

Nobody wants to sit through thousands of hours of shit, for "lore," you fucking autist.
>>
>>133504672
>>133504742
But Unicorn is complete shit for 4 of the 7 episodes
>>
>>133504738
>Best Gundam is X
hipster scum
>>
>>133504738
There are so many Fumina that it makes up for it.
>>
File: 1444715642488.gif (719 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
1444715642488.gif
719 KB, 480x320
>>133504764
>still butthurt
Ep1 is all anyone needs to see.
>>
>>133504742
Then, the "best" won't actually be the best it can possibly be. As it would be if you actually watched them in the right order
>>
>>133504819
>watched them in the right order
No such thing, you autist
>>
>>133504798
Fumina cannot make up for the lack of Aila or decline of Rinko
Also Gyanko > Fumina
>>
>>133498303
Pretty much this. I watched Build Fighters on a recommendation and loved it, which got me interested in watching more Gundam. But with like 25 full series I don't know if I should just start at the beginning or what.

Is Build Fighters Try anywhere near as good as Build Fighters was?
>>
IMO, the Mecha genre has the highest consistency of "good" shows.
>>
>>133497913
When I see a character I like/dislike die or get hit, it gives me an emotional response. This even applies to nonhuman characters like Kill La Kill's Senketsu. Why would I care if a mech gets hurt though?

I like some series, for example Eva is great and Code Geass was good as a gateway anime, but don't see the appeal. I don't really care about if someone's hitting someone with a bare fist or a million ton hunk of metal shaped like a fist, it doesn't make a big difference. Robots aren't my thing.
>>
>>133504877
They follow a single timeline, and there are plenty of stuff you could only understand if you watched the older ones.
So you are missing content.
>>
Because I'm pro-human. I'd watch something like a man beating up giant robots. Yes, I'm planning to watch G Gundam.
>>
>>133504966
Then it wouldn't make a difference if the show is a mecha or not for you.
As this doesn't seem to be the case, you seem to actually dislike robots.
>>133504952
>I don't know if I should just start at the beginning or what.
I would recommend that if you can handle the really old animation.
>>
>>133504966
You care about the pilots, not the robots.
The vast majority of mecha fans couldn't give a shit about which gundam is what and such.

I've enjoyed the shows for years without giving a shit about the technical side.
>>
File: ULTIMATE GESPENST KICK.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
ULTIMATE GESPENST KICK.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>133504966
>no one dies or gets hurt in mecha
>>
>>133504952
Just watch the short OVAs
08th Team

If you enjoy these, you can try the TV series.
>>
File: Shirojiro vs Jizuri Suzaku.webm (3 MB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
Shirojiro vs Jizuri Suzaku.webm
3 MB, 444x250
>>133504993
>like a man beating up giant robots
>>
>>133505124
OG is garbage
>>
File: Checked.gif (971 KB, 500x490) Image search: [Google]
Checked.gif
971 KB, 500x490
>>133504966
>>133505077
Checked.
It hurt to watch the Gundam blow up in 0079
>>
>>133504966
Most mecha are actually about the pilots own drama and the military aspect they have.
This is why when no one dies in a supposed war people tend to dislike the show, as it would be incredibly unrealistic.
>>
>>133505156
Except it isn't
>>
>>133504764
That's not true. You fell for the /m/ meme, friend.
>>
So that America vs Japan mech fisticuffs is still happening right? Any new info
>>
>>133505208
Jokes on you, I started that
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZME_HbF0VI
Hype levels are through the fucking roof.
>>
>>133504738
>One of them is scat shit
>>133504798
>None of Mirai were translated
Why is this allowed?
>>
File: funnels.webm (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
funnels.webm
3 MB, 480x360
>You will never die horribly and gruesomely inside of a mech
Why even live? I just want to die for my beliefs in a free space for the spacenoids
>>
This thread is proof that "anime fans" only care about instant gratification.
>>
>>133505408
>none of Shia were translated
>>
>>133505412
Why don't you kill yourself now then, you fucking Zeek coward.
>>
File: 1427026369241.jpg (639 KB, 1731x1232) Image search: [Google]
1427026369241.jpg
639 KB, 1731x1232
>>133502901
Armoured trooper VOTOMS, it was got me into mech to begin with
>>
>>133505442
You mean human beings
>>
>>133505157
>that moment when the white base collapses and explodes
Like watching your old house burn down.
>>
File: maru.gif (489 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
maru.gif
489 KB, 400x225
Never was really into mecha but I just started Gundam for the first time with 0079 and Zeta this year. I thought MSG was okay but Zeta was amazingly fun, especially after the halfway mark with Yazan, Sarah and the political stuff. Some parts were depressing for sure, but exciting. Tekketsu Orphans is probably my favorite show this season. I even built my first kit.

In the past I've seen GAINAX stuff like Gunbuster 1 and 2 and TTGL, and contemporary stuff like Big O, Rinne no Lagrange, TTGL, Code Geass, Valvrave, Sidonia, etc, but I'm starting to get an appreciation for the classics. I might hold off on ZZ and go straight to the CCA, the 0080 OVAs and then Unicorn. Is that OK or will I not appreciate it as much?
>>
>>133505503
>I might hold off on ZZ and go straight to the CCA
Don't.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 75

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.