[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
original manga art pages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 14
File: kishimoto.gif (1008 KB, 500x255) Image search: [Google]
kishimoto.gif
1008 KB, 500x255
Hey, have you ever thought what happens to the originals that artists submit to the publisher like kodansha? In the west, they generally send in scans of the work and keep the art for themselves so they can sell it for added revenue. I think that's kind of accounted for in their rates as well as convention appearances and who doesn't do this, starves.
But in Japan, I kind of feel like the art means nothing to people. that the book is all that matters and the actual pages either get stashed away in some storage of the editorial department or might as well get thrown away.

Do you guys know if there is a platform for people to buy or sell original manga pages?
>>
It's all trash. Who wants to buy original manga art? It isn't drawn to a realistic standard which is always better than a simplistic cartoon style.

I bet originals only go for a few bucks at best.
>>
>>133104845
I'd buy it desu.
>>
File: 1b48486702530af7f1961a455938cded.jpg (615 KB, 1667x1200) Image search: [Google]
1b48486702530af7f1961a455938cded.jpg
615 KB, 1667x1200
>>133104845
YEah, I guess you're right, it's all terrible art anyways right.
>>
>>133105460

Berserk has some of the most detailed spreads in the history of the industry but good art isn't measured by how many lines a piece of armor has
>>
This is pretty interesting. I wonder what Clamp does with all their super detailed originals. I'd like to think they keep it for memento sake, but I would love to buy them if possible.
>>
File: yokohama-kaidashi-kikou-87317.jpg (96 KB, 800x1158) Image search: [Google]
yokohama-kaidashi-kikou-87317.jpg
96 KB, 800x1158
>>133105543
Exactly. Like I said. it's all fucking shit ass bullfuck worthless cunt art.
>>
It's a shame they don't sell the background art from anime. They make some pretty stuff.
>>
Seriously though. Even if it wasn't good, shit like Miyazakis' Nausicaa pages must be worth something to people who adore his movies and collect Ghibli shit right? Well is he allowed to sell the art or not? Who fucking owns it? Is it him or the publisher?
If the artist owns it, is it trash to him, or does he actually hold it so close to his heart that he would never sell it?
>>
>>133105866
Maybe he holds onto it for copyright sake, but other than that it''s worthless considering artbooks and whatnot?
>>
File: DL-9.jpg (58 KB, 451x353) Image search: [Google]
DL-9.jpg
58 KB, 451x353
I recently read Drifting Life by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. A semi autobiographical work mapping the genesis of "Gekiga". This book is basically Bakuman for grownups and I didn't learn anything on this subject either. In fact the art they send to the publishers in this book actually seems like very much disposable scrap paper.
I know there's an exhibition from time to time where original manga art is displayed, but that doesn't really answer the question who owns it and what is the relationship people in the business have with the art.
>>
The thread piqued my curiosity, but I can't find shit on it. You often find anime cels, storyboards, model sheets or even drawing/autographs on sale on japanese sites, but I don't remember ever coming across original manga pages. It's strange because they do hold some collection value since it's hand drawn and made on a bigger format than it's printed on.

I'm assuming they are either trashed or archived by the publisher or some would have made their way to auction sites already.
>>
File: ILR6Rou.jpg (144 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
ILR6Rou.jpg
144 KB, 1920x816
>>133106291
I imagine giant storage space with shellfuls of amazing legendary art that nobody will ever see.

I'd like to believe they aren't trashed, but are actually archived either by the artist or whoever and selling pages is just something that isn't even a question in the environment of Japanese comic arts and that's why people can't find info on this. Like nobody is even looking for/selling Akira art because that's how the culture works.
>>
I have the feeling the original art is preserved as irrefutable proof that a contract between mangaka and publisher is fulfilled. Ammo for lawsuits against plagiarists, for example.
>>
I don't think japanese people love themselves enough to do that.
>>
File: sunny-matsumoto-taiyou-2913253.jpg (157 KB, 800x1171) Image search: [Google]
sunny-matsumoto-taiyou-2913253.jpg
157 KB, 800x1171
>>133106754
>>133106601
I was afraid it would be something silly and depressing dressing as that too.
>>
>>133102875
I know mandrake auctions crap like that rarely. theyre more about cells n stuff but ive seen a few concept pages n the like
>>
File: 1377521441940.jpg (122 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1377521441940.jpg
122 KB, 1280x720
i wouldnt mind paying 15 bucks for something like this
>>
File: cameron stewbart.jpg (231 KB, 1280x936) Image search: [Google]
cameron stewbart.jpg
231 KB, 1280x936
>>133106998
That's just so bizarre. If some art does end up there for sale, who is selling it and how did they even come across it?
>>
>>133106998
yeah, just double checked for myself. Mandrake has a " drafts " option. Be mindful that your original crap isnt sitting at the auction site waiting for you to pick it up. This shit comes and goes like the seasons and im sure not all artists use that site specifically .
>>
>>133107349
Maybe the art gets sold off very slowly so that it doesn't lose the spirit of exceptionality and can be sold for higher price?
>>
>>133107262
im sure japan has its own means and ends. I know you can contact most artists and ask. The few times ive seen into artists lives I see that they keep a lot of reference pages for themselves. Character poses and pivotal moment sketches for things they can look back to and work off of since some characters vanish for 20 chapters. that kinda stuff but i never see folders with old drafts. Concept pages are more numerous than final drafts as far as i know which is little.
> If some art does end up there for sale, who is selling it and how did they even come across it?

mandrake does have some nice connections . im sure at least a portion of their stuff comes right from the studio that produced it and the rest private collectors ect ect
>>
>>133107449
No. they get their hands on something and its sold within a week. they arent a storage company. they are more like a middle man for almost all their products. This applies especially for their auctions. The seller sets a minimum and highest bid wins by closing . they arent gonna carry material from a year ago unless a private seller tosses it up there and thats not announced in advance
>>
>>133107583
I like how you hinted at how maybe some art doesn't find it's way onto auction sites 100% legally, as I feel that trying to find out more about this subject is some dangerous unearthing of sacred dark truth that could end with me killed, hah.
>>
>>133107707
Oh, I thought that the artists sell the art themselves through this site, like ebay or whatever.
>>
>>133105460

Drawn by a blind kindergartener with aids
>>
File: tumblr_nm30q0I1Lw1qd7kpzo1_500.png (228 KB, 449x587) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nm30q0I1Lw1qd7kpzo1_500.png
228 KB, 449x587
>>133108023
That's what makes it special you dummy!
>>
>>133107892
Some do. mandrake is well known is japan for its acquisitions of products from around japan. im just not gonna lie and give you guarantees since i dont follow the auction site that heavily . like with any art though the artist is gonna announce he is dumping the stuff . The site gets more products by dipping into more than just that with private sellers and stores looking to sell products. I know this cause i was looking for something no longer in production since 2001 when a store front dropped 2 unopened boxes of it they found in storage
>>
>>133105460
>that massively out of proportion horn on Zodd
Always irked me.
>>
>>133106291
they just consider them drafts. the real product is whats printed in the magazine as far as manga goes.
>>
File: blade-of-the-immortal-600519.jpg (163 KB, 800x1163) Image search: [Google]
blade-of-the-immortal-600519.jpg
163 KB, 800x1163
>>133108074
oh okay. that's neat.
>>
>>133102875
They send in the original art work.
>>
Are the originals even drawn on archivable paper?
>>
File: fa20120517a1c.jpg (2 MB, 5616x3744) Image search: [Google]
fa20120517a1c.jpg
2 MB, 5616x3744
>>133108143
I bet it's different with every company and every artist and many variables have to be taken into account, but I just can't imagine an artist would feel no emotional value in his work.

Another thing I realized is that lots of manga pages these days gets produced with the help of numerous assistants. I would guess that the main artist is considered an auteur in this case and in the case of selling all profits would go to him, but maybe not?
>>
>>133108555
im sadly limited in information to give a right answer. To latter part .if the author is also the artist then the assistants get paid already for helping but that ends there. they are on commissions pretty much if even ( they do internships as well). not all cases though apply to this
>>
>>133108555
>Another thing I realized is that lots of manga pages these days gets produced with the help of numerous assistants.
Couple of decades late to come to that realization buddy.
Its not like they didnt have assisstants that worked 20 hour days back in the 80s for the godfather of manga.
>>
>>133108533
>not drawing on vellum
look at this goddamn pleb.
>>
File: Armor 1.jpg (265 KB, 767x1200) Image search: [Google]
Armor 1.jpg
265 KB, 767x1200
>>133108797
Ha, yeah I worded that poorly. don't know why the phrase "these days" slipped though.

>>133108785
Hm, yeah. I can imagine that the artist doesn't get to keep the pages or make profit off them exactly for the same reason - he got paid and that's it.
>>
>>133106106
Lots of it is almost certainly dumped. Especially alternative magazines like Garo, whose old volumes are probably going to find themselves in extinction but still cost not that much per printed issue. Only the guys famous enough to have their work recollected probably have their works saved.

In other cases, the publishing companies go out of business. Even if it is kept, it's probably not kept well. I know that the Jiro Kuwata Batman manga (from the 60s) went through some process of restoration, but the exact specifics, who knows.
>>
>>133108555
Take Tezuka for instance, there were multiple renditions of the same manga in competing magazine. He literally just churned them out and for mangaka who do a lot of work, that's the reality of it. Mangaka probably just sign their souls over and the fact that any originals turn up ever is a unicorn.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.