[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Owari no Seraph
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 16
Holy fucking shit, why hasn't this asshole gotten himself killed yet? With that personality he'd probably jump off a building and die because he thinks he can fly between rooftops.
>>
Why is Krul a loli but Mika isn't a shota?
>>
>>124569420
he's Eren but worse
>>
>>124569545
Mika hasn't been drinking blood.
>>
>>124569545
Because he hasn't drunk human blood yet.
>>
It's all for the sake of future character development, you see. So that you can see him going from "HURR FIGHT! REVENGE! KILL DA VAMPIRES! I NEED NOBODY!" to "I was so fucking wrong, revenge leads nowhere, now I fight for my family and my friends, I fight to protect, not for vengence".

Of course it's unsubtle as fuck but what can you expect from a shônen targeting 13 years old junior high schoolers and fujoshit?
>>
Does this statement mean that the best demon tamers would actually be the most apathetic and unmotivated people?
>>
>>124569608
nah, it just mean that you must base your will to fight on "protecting your friend" rather than "revenge". It's all for >>124569601
>>
He's such a shit fucking character its awful.

Every episode has been him

>FUCK YOU ALL I'M THE BEST
>FUCK EVERYONE IN THIS SQUAD GIVE ME THE BEST WEAPON
>YOU'RE ALL SHIT ME KING.

Rinse and repeat that its gotten so fucking boring, How will I even last till S2.
>>
>>124569608
No it means they aren't desperate and filled with rage
>>
File: bestgirlaftershinoa.png (83 KB, 348x530) Image search: [Google]
bestgirlaftershinoa.png
83 KB, 348x530
>>124569420
I'm still waiting for the best girl to deliver.
This is the reason I'm watching this anime
>>
>>124569601
Then they shouldn't have done a 4 year timeskip. Otherwise you just wonder what the fuck the military has been teaching him while he's been in their care for four whole years. Cooperation and discipline and adherence to orders should have been beaten into his head from day one, with fists and blood if necessary.
>>
This anime should have been about Shinoa and Guren trolling Yuu.
>>
>>124569780
Yeah that one really irked me too

But I feel like this is more of a waifu/husbando tier kind of anime with a generic vampire story thrown in.
Can't really expect much of these
>>
>>124569780
Sure, but as I said it aims for a demographic that doesn't like long, subtle and progressive character development, and really care about storytelling skills. Changess need to be obvious, blunt and easily understandable/noticeable.
>>
>>124569780
He was just a normal civilian being trained swordsmanship by Guren for 4 years
>>
File: 4958527.jpg (9 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
4958527.jpg
9 KB, 267x200
>>124569766
>Mitsuba
>best girl

More like generic shitty tsundere made bearable by Shinoa
>>
File: 432.jpg (112 KB, 1327x741) Image search: [Google]
432.jpg
112 KB, 1327x741
Someone shoop a telephone pole in this screenshot
>>
How exactly do demons and Horsepersons of the Apocalypse play into the whole Vampires/Humans dynamic? They seem so out of context.
>>
>>124569420
What the hell is a seraph? And were all of those kids seraphs? Is a seraph the same thing as a human or a vampire?
>>
>>124569668
I like when he was like
>Ay bitch, gimmie dat axe
>>
>>124571614
>>124571513
Extrapolating from what little information has been presented in the anime thus far, I think the Seraphs are kids who are experimented on by humans for whatever reason, and this experimentation is related to demons, but the experiments went wrong and caused the Apocalypse and the appearance of Horsemen. Consequently the vampires stepped in to seize control of what remains of the population, in exchange of blood. The Imperial Japanese Demon Army is continuing their demonic experimentation into Seraphs however and the vampires won't stand for it.
>>
>>124572228
So, basically the vampires are the good guys and are trying to fix humanities huge fuck ups? Ok.
>>
>>124571614
a seraph is an angel, anon.
>>
>>124569420
He eventually learn to care for his new family after learning that mika is alive.
>>
>>124572655
It's pretty amazing just how much he calmed down once he learned mila was alive. I had a bit of an issue with just how much much nakama he became. Like there was no middle ground between the edgelord and the nakama spiel.
>>
Why is my friend trying to convince me this is basically non-persona smt? Is it?
>>
>>124572803
He is gay for mika.
>>
>>124569420
I know, right? We need more indecisive, unmotivated faggots with no confidence so I can self insert better.
>>
>>124572803
Makes sense though, his only reason to live before that was revenge for Mika and the others, then he learns that Mika is actually alive.
>>
>>124573081
There is confidence, and then there is idiocy.
>>
>>124573195
Yes. Confidence is when you have the skills to back it up, and he just resisted the demon despite being told it was impossible.
>>
>>124573371
He had zero concrete basis for believing he could resist the demon. His reasoning literally amounts to "fuck you gimme ax"
>>
>>124573448
>ability to resist demon is based on state of mind
>he has no concrete evidence
You're a special kind of stupid.
>>
>>124573583
The best information available to him and the others at the time was "Demon can easily exploit desire for revenge". His answer to that was "fuck you I want my revenge".

Do you see the problem here? He basically lucked out that the demon fucked up and stumbled into a logical inconsistency regarding Mika.
>>
>>124572803
He was never as edgy as he makes himself to be, otherwise, he wouldn't be able to obtain the demon, surprising everyone who expected his edginess to get him possessed.
>>
Yuu is still stupid and reckless for a while longer, but he does get his shit together eventually.

Amazingly, it does not take his friends getting killed for it to happen, though they do come really close at one point.
>>
>>124572516
killing kiddies for fun doesn't strike me as good deeds performed by good guys, but that's, like, my opinion
>>
>>124573833
>Amazingly, it does not take his friends getting killed for it to happen
The way he acts at the moment, if his friends were killed he'd probably just go even more vengeancestupid to revenge his nakamas.
>>
>>124569601
>Of course it's unsubtle as fuck
It really is hilariously heavy-handed, if you took a shot every time Yuu talks about family after meeting Mika again you'd be dead in three chapters. It's still nice to see him caring so much about his comrades instead of being edgy, though.
>>
>>124573583
>I want concrete facts in what's explicitly stated to be a battle of will and mental fortitude
Yup, you're a retard.
>>
>>124574222
Misquoted
>>124573696
>>
>>124574222
>>124574268
But it's not about mental fortitude. It's about not carrying specific emotions like desperation and thirst for revenge which demons can easily exploit. You can have a mind of steel and still be on a singleminded quest for justice which a demon can take advantage of with ease.
>>
>>124573876
Not him, but they're the good guys on a macro scale. Humanity fucked up the world and they're putting it back in order. A really fucked up kind of order, sure, but the humanity=destroyers and vampires=restorers of order theme is there.

That said the vampires really just took advantage of humans fucking things up to gain power; I doubt most of the vampire nobles have any sort of altruistic goal like restoring order to the world out of the goodness of their hearts. The manga shows that the vampire nobles mostly look out for themselves and their subjects, often acting more selfishly than humans (in one chapter some of the nobles are perplexed at a Moon Demon squad sacrificing themselves to protect other soldiers). They may talk about setting the world to rights by eradicating those evil humans, but to me it seems like more of an excuse to grab power (although some, like Krul and Ferid, might have more idealistic ambitions; my point is that vampires as a whole are pretty much out for themselves). So they're heroes only in the broadest sense.
>>
>>124569766
>>
>>124574021
Well, the nakama power is pretty much the point of all shônen series, so it would be retarded to read one and complain about it. What is stupid here is how ridiculously fast he moves from "HURR KILL DA VAMPURES!" to "my goal was wrong, I'll fight to protect my nakama, vengeance is not kakkoi at all". There's barely no progress in-between the 2 states, it literally goes from one to the other in the span of a few chapters.
>>
>>124569420
>getting himself killed

Why? He has been training hard the last 4 years and is pretty strong. Being reckless is not enough to die early.
>>
>>124574356
vampires also have their own factions with in the order which was touched on in the last few translated issues, krul leads one faction and there is another one in south japan and they are all out to grab as much power as they can from eachother like the inbreds of medevil europe they represent
>>
>>124574349
Having revenge in your heart makes for easy demon bait. It's still mental fortitude that decides the outcome of the battle.
>>
>>124574484
Muh shounen morality lessons

We need now MCs who actually go for revenge without being a total edgelord who ends up almost hurting the people he loves until he finally realizes he was completely wrong and must abandon all his objectively wrong emotions in favor of yelling "I will protect my nakama!"
>>
>>124569668
Then drop it no one is forcing you
>>
>>124574577
Yeah that's part of what I was talking about with the selfishness. The vampires aren't necessarily united as one race, they've got all their own power struggles, which is what Kureto is hoping to use to bring them down.
>>
>>124574484
I would be willing to accept the unrealistically quick character development because family-centered Yuu is cute, I just wish he wouldn't harp on the family thing so much. But what can you do.
>>
>>124569836
This anime is really about that though
>>
>>124569420
This show is kinda gay, but I'm still watching it.
>>
>>124570889
but who was phone?
>>
File: 1429748562674.png (329 KB, 600x495) Image search: [Google]
1429748562674.png
329 KB, 600x495
Reminder Shinoa/Hayami Saori is #1
>>
>>124574356
>but they're the good guys on a macro scale
No, it is not like most of humans are bad guys there are good guys too and the reason vampire are even restoring things are because they are afraid to lose all their livestock not for the sake of humanity.
>>
>>124578068
Krul is a very close second place but yeah, smugfu is the best

>mfw all those OTP scenes in the manga that will be animated soon
>>
File: USS Michigan.jpg (723 KB, 3008x1960) Image search: [Google]
USS Michigan.jpg
723 KB, 3008x1960
Let's say an Ohio-class SSBN surfaced in the middle of the Pacific out of visual range of any Japan-based vampires or demon users, and launched one of its twenty-four Trident II class missiles at the Imperial Japanese Demon Army headquarters in Tokyo. The RVs can reach a speed of Mach 24 in the terminal phase as they descend from space. Could any demon soldier or vampire stop the entire Tokyo population of humans from turning to ash?
>>
>>124578215
Yes, with plot armor.
>>
Where is the anime currently in the manga following 04?
>>
>>124572228

The vampire queen knows something about the Seraphs and are doing shit with them as well. That's why she was so pissed at that Noble for letting one escape and almost getting the other killed. The IJDA is just a really good scapegoat.

I'm half expecting her to be in bed with some human leaders at this point.

>>124572516

There is a lot of propaganda going around. It's all shades of grey and political.
>>
>>124578215
I guess we will get Americans at some point, hopefully they'll be interesting rather than just one-dimensional jerks. Though if they're one-dimensional jerks with cool subs I'll be willing to bear it.
>>
>>124578351
Well, it really doesn't matter what weapons they use if they are acting on the assumption that the enemy can never be aware of anything.
>>
>>124573915

Actually it would probably break him and go full Seraph.
>>
>>124569608
Nah Gurren is just talking about himself cause his girlfriend turned into his sword and give him constant nightmares.
>>
>>124569579
>>124569585
How is the faggot still alive then?
>>
>>124579139
Because he drinks vampire blood.
>>
>you will never be this smug
>>
>>124579565
Lewd.
>>
File: Owari No Seraph 1.png (344 KB, 591x500) Image search: [Google]
Owari No Seraph 1.png
344 KB, 591x500
This nigga gay.
>>
>>124579565
That's a shitty plothole. Why would the vampires need to enslave humanity int he first place if they could just sustain themselves on their own blood?
>>
>>124580014
Mika's slowly going crazy and Krul's blood is losing its effect. Also, he keeps aging.
>>
>>124580014
>sustain themselves on their own blood?
Vampires are perpetual motion machines
Amazing
>>
File: hisoka.png (158 KB, 600x336) Image search: [Google]
hisoka.png
158 KB, 600x336
>>124569668
I feel pretty similar. Not saying I completely dislike the anime but this shitfuck of an mc is getting on my nerves.
I hope that changes.
>>
>>124580014
>if they could just sustain themselves on their own blood?
You failed ecology, didn't you?

Look up primary producers and their role in an ecosystem, and where they get energy.
>>
>>124580280
>real world science

It's magic, asshole.
>>
>>124580325
Clearly not, retard. They still need a source of blood.
>>
>>124580014
>if they could just sustain themselves on their own blood?
They can't.

Mika has aged since he became a vampire, that wouldn't happen if he was drinking human blood.
>>
Why do we keep getting all these 'dark' shows with piss poor writing?
It's either that, or some nauseatingly bad LN harem adaptation.

Shows that are actually well-written, or at least self-aware, are one in a hundred.
>>
>>124580496
>Why do we keep getting all these 'dark' shows with piss poor writing?
What piss poor writing is there here? It's extremely straightforward and doesn't delve into a complicated political or magic system that amounts to nothing more than trash to make the MC look good (like the LNs you mentioned) that bog down stories. There's nothing wrong with the writing at all, unless you think a 14 year old with a chip on his shoulder and actual skills to back his confidence is bad writing, in which case you're a fucking faggot.
>>
File: 1370182007425.jpg (86 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
1370182007425.jpg
86 KB, 500x628
>>124580496
If you find good only one in a hunded shows, maybe anime isn't the entertainment for you.
Believe it or not, there are people that enjoy "generic" and "piss poor" anime and manga with its "tropes" and "cliches".
I like them. If you don't it's alright too.
>>
>>124580645
The writing is extremely ham-fisted.
There are no subleties, or interesting characters.
Character progression is handled like it would be in a childrens' film.

I love how all of your points were about the MC.

>you're a fucking faggot.
Getting a bit defensive, are we?
>>
>>124580893

The political motivations haven't come into play yet.
>>
>>124580951
How does that excuse any of the things I mentioned in my post?
Good writers don't "hide" their writing until halfway through the story.

>>124580793
What are you talking about?
That would be like abandoning film as a medium because Adam Sandler movies exist.
>>
>>124580893
>I love how all of your points were about the MC.
We're all of 4 episodes in, and the only character to have significant development so far is the MC. I assumed you weren't stupid enough to be commenting on other characters that haven't had a chance to be fleshed out. But since you're clearly not just talking about the MC (who is also the subject of the thread. Great job specifying where your comment was directed) then what the hell do you mean by
>The writing is extremely ham-fisted.
>There are no subleties, or interesting characters.
>Character progression is handled like it would be in a childrens' film.
These are all extremely vague blanket statements that mean absolutely nothing given that you haven't even tried to explain them in the context of the story.

>Getting a bit defensive, are we?
You can take your smug writing style and fuck right off. You haven't said a damn thing that's held any weight.
>>
>>124581217
>We're all of 4 episodes in, and the only character to have significant development so far is the MC.
There's your problem.

As for the whole thing being ham-fisted, see:
>>124569601
The second point is subjective, and you could simply disagree with me.
However, all characters are pretty much just archetypes, or sacrificial lamb.
For the third point, see the post I linked to above.

Why do you think I'm acting smug?
You're getting extremely defensive as soon as someone criticizes your show.
It's the absolute worst thing you can do.
>>
>>124581498
>There's your problem.
What problem? We're 4 episodes into a 24 episode series and you want the entire cast's personalities and motivations explored? Do you know what pacing is?

>ham-fisted,
When his family tried to escape with him, he didn't give them some edgy speech or tell them to fuck off, he happily tried to achieve freedom with them so he could live with them. His revenge is motivated by the loss of his family. When mister telephone-poles living (key word is living) family member needed her brother, he happily put his pursuit of power on hold so that telephone pole could see his sister. He clearly values family above all else. When he realizes his closest family is still alive, why is him focusing on that and not revenge ham-fisted?

>However, all characters are pretty much just archetypes, or sacrificial lamb.
Every personality has been done a million times. Execution is what matters. Things like development, motivations, character interaction dynamics and yet you're ready to write them all off when the series has barely gotten off the ground.

>For the third point, see the post I linked to above.
That's not progression, his personality from the start has been family oriented. You're literally blind if you can't see that. On top of that, it hasn't even happened in the anime yet.

>You're getting extremely defensive as soon as someone criticizes your show.
No, you spouted a bunch of bullshit criticisms that don't mean anything because you either aren't paying attention, or don't know what pacing is. On top of that, you felt the need to attack 99% of anime in your post.

>Why do you think I'm acting smug?
Don't pretend for a single second that you're not an off-boarder who thinks most anime is shit. I can smell you faggots from /tv/, /lit/ and /mu/ from a mile away. Fuck off.
>>
>>124569547
>being worse than eren
That is an extremely hard thing to do.
>>
>>124569420
He hasnt gotten killed yet because he's protected.

Protected by plot armor

Lets be real here for a moment, what're the odds of him actually dying while in a test facility full of other students, and him being picked out / targeted by some escapee?

Out of all the students there to be killed, why would any of the monsters pick him specifically?
>>
>>124582308
>why would any of the monsters pick him specifically?
because everyone else runs away while he tries to fight them
>>
>>124572815
Because demon contracting and Raidou's uniform.
>>
>>124579565
>vampire drinks vampire blood
Does it technically count as gay or cannibalism?
>>
>>124581897
>Do you know what pacing is?
Yes, and I also know bad pacing is.
A nicely written, longer show has the luxury of being able to spend several hours just establishing the setting and general character motivations.

>why is him focusing on that and not revenge ham-fisted?
The ham-fisted thing here is the setup, which is too obviously going to lead to him 'redeeming' himself.

>Every personality has been done a million times
While it's hard to make a completely unique character, there are certainly better original choices than picking a few of the archetypes present in every modern show.
Obvious sacrificial lamb are even worse.

>literally blind
>bullshit criticisms
>off-boarder
>you faggots from /tv/, /lit/ and /mu/
>Fuck off.
This is what makes you seem defensive.
>>
>>124582464
Touche
>>
>>124582551
Cannibalism, because he's only drinking lolivamp's blood.
>>
File: 1429376957258.jpg (431 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1429376957258.jpg
431 KB, 1280x720
>>124569668
>FUCK YOU ALL I'M THE BEST
>YOU'RE ALL SHIT ME KING.

I know right? Almost as bad an an attentionwhoring tripfag :^)
>>
>>124582794
She's so darned cute, damnit.
>>
File: love.jpg (383 KB, 1327x741) Image search: [Google]
love.jpg
383 KB, 1327x741
>>124570889
>>
File: 1430043052370.jpg (155 KB, 628x900) Image search: [Google]
1430043052370.jpg
155 KB, 628x900
Only dumbasses try to lone wolf a entire vamp army.
>>124570858
She's cute in her own way. Thankfully she isn't completely generic.
>>
>>124582870
kek
>>
>>124582593
>I also know bad pacing is.
Clearly not, as you think 4 episodes into a 24 episode series means the characters should all be explored when they've just barely set up the premise for the coming conflict and the path the MC will take.

>ham-fisted thing here is the setup
Do you know what ham-fisted is? Care for family is ingrained into his personality. When he finds out his family still lives, his focus switches to them instead of avenging his dead family. It's in line with his personality. What part of that is ham-fisted?

>there are certainly better original choices than picking a few of the archetypes present in every modern show.
How often do you see a teenage MC who isn't a bumbling retard spouting "I-I'm so weak but I want to protect everyone!" who acts like an idealistic retard all the time? That alone makes him stand out. And on top of that, he doesn't take things too far in the edgy direction because he still has priorities and goals he sticks to without tossing it all to the wind for the sake of angst. There's also a perma-smug girl, a motherly vampire queen and a no homo best friend who doesn't go full Sasuka edgy mode. Those aren't generic by any stretch. You're also expecting them to all have their nuances and idiosyncrasies explained extremely early on in the story, which would leave little room for characterization and novel interaction later on.

>Obvious sacrificial lamb
I really hope you're not talking about the characters from episode one.

>what makes you seem defensive.
You're making a bunch of claims that are worthless because you think less than 20% of the way through a series is the appropriate time to have all cards laid on the table, you literally attacked all of anime in your post and I'm spot on calling you an off-boarded and you know it. I'm not defensive, you're ignorant and pretending not to be, and you don't like being called stupid because it clashes with your superiority complex stemming from your media of choice.
>>
>>124573371
Long before that happened he was insisting he could totally beat up vampires with his fists when he's, like, twelve or something. Doesn't seem to be affected by the fact that he was nearly killed and thrown off a ledge, he insists "i totally had that guy".

The fucker could have won a Darwin Award Honorary Mention.
>>
>>124583172
>when he's, like, twelve or something
A 12 year old acted irrational after spending 4 miserable years as a slave?

What ridiculous writing.
>>
>>124583230
By the age of twelve, most people will have developed something called a "sense of self-preservation". Also something called a "brain". It's what keeps the gene pool intact.
>>
File: Wr7RWBJ.jpg (645 KB, 3005x1957) Image search: [Google]
Wr7RWBJ.jpg
645 KB, 3005x1957
>>124578215
>Ohio-class SSBN

Aren't all Ohio classes SSGNs now?
>>
>>124583271
Can you stop pretending you know anything about psychology or ecology? It's really painful to read your posts.
>>
>>124583284
Ohio, Michigan, Florida, and Georgia are SSGNs. All the rest are still SSBNs.
>>
>>124583321
Can you stop pretending that Yuu is being anything other than a fucking moron when he came about two seconds from death and yet continues to bitch about how "I was totally about to punch his face in and we should all just punch all their faces in and they'll just drop dead like that"
>>
>>124583368
>154 cruise missiles

Itano would be proud
>>
>>124583518
You have no idea how a 12 year old thinks. Stop pretending you do, and stop pretending that a 12 year old who just went through serious trauma is going to be making anything even resembling rational decisions.
>>
>>124569547
>>124582189
He really isn't, I think after this short school arc is when he actually starts to soften up and become a somewhat likable character.
>>
>>124583032
>you think 4 episodes into a 24 episode series means the characters should all be explored
Why are you making things up now?
Asking for character development outside of the main character is hardly that extreme.

>Do you know what ham-fisted is?
Do you? You still have no idea what I'm talking about.
I'm referring to the awkward, obvious setup with eventual understanding meant to progress the angsty MC's character.
It's extremely common.

>How often do you see a teenage MC who isn't a bumbling retard spouting "I-I'm so weak but I want to protect everyone!"
What?
Angsty MCs learning to overcome their hatred and become more mature is probably the most commonly used character progression known to man.

>using the terms 'perma-smug' and 'no homo' to argue that characters are interesting/unique
You lost me, buddy.

Anyway, a discussion can be kept civil if you don't angrily portray your opponents as crossboarders with superiority complexes in every post.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.