[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old Anime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 14
File: ashita no joe 2.jpg (522 KB, 1517x1078) Image search: [Google]
ashita no joe 2.jpg
522 KB, 1517x1078
>I don't watch anime that "looks old"

What do you say to people like this? I've been watching stuff from the 70s & 80s for the last few years & most of it's quality stuff.

I feel bad there's an entire generation that won't even bother with anything that's more than 5 years old just because non digital shows turn them off.

People be all hating old anime, but they ain't know old anime like I do.
>>
literally said no one ever, except your faggot friend that nobody knows or cares.
>>
File: code lyoko.jpg (166 KB, 640x1440) Image search: [Google]
code lyoko.jpg
166 KB, 640x1440
>>124007483

Except there's literally people like this. /a/ may be shit, but the general populous only watches what's currently airing through crunchyroll. death parade, tokyo ghouls, attack on titan, etc.

I wish I worked around kids. Would love to hear what their thoughts are on old shows directly.
>>
>>124007483
>literally said no one ever
first day on /a/?
>>
>>124007441
>People be all hating old anime, but they ain't know old anime like I do.
Epic. I'll take a modernist any day over some idiot like you. Both you and them are equally naive.
>>
File: ronnie.gif (176 KB, 900x582) Image search: [Google]
ronnie.gif
176 KB, 900x582
>>124007647

>not picking up on this
>>
Yeah, people like this don't deserve to watch free anime.
>>
>>124007691

>free anime

That's called stealing anon, & stealing is WRONG.
>>
Urusei Yatsura best anme
>>
>>124007441
The ending of Mobile Suit Gundam Movie 3 is literally more exciting than anything from any anime made in the last 15 years. Old shit is great.
>>
>>124007441
Tell me if Initial D 1st Stage's CG looks good then come back here.
>>
File: Joe.jpg (203 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Joe.jpg
203 KB, 1600x900
>>124007441
I REMEMBER JOE ;_;.
>>
>>124011537
I fucking love this faggot. He was never interested in love.
>>
File: ashita no joe.jpg (122 KB, 640x450) Image search: [Google]
ashita no joe.jpg
122 KB, 640x450
>>124011790
The only thing that he wanted in life was to fight. Truly the hero that japs needed at that time. Why i didn't born in the 70s to assist Joe's and Rikiishi's memorial? ;_;
>>
>>124007441
I don't watch anime that "looks old" in the sense that the animation is terrible and I could just read it instead. I don't mind "old" anime that actually had a budget (generally just films and OVAs).

Does the Ashita no Joe anime improve on the source material?
>>
File: poster for ants.jpg (13 KB, 225x319) Image search: [Google]
poster for ants.jpg
13 KB, 225x319
Just finished this movie to see if I wanna get into the whole thing. Shit was great.

I wasn't a fan of some of the soundtrack though I feel like some of them were too played out or whatever. (like putting the most well known classical songs it just sounds corny sometimes).

other than that I'm totally digging it.
>>
>>124013183

Nah m8 bolero was awesome.

Prepare for a wild ride and lots of alcohol.
>>
>>124013057
I haven't watched the AnJ anime but the manga is pretty much perfect so I doubt it improves on it.
>>
>>124013057
>>124013395
The anime is better than the manga. The slow pacing actually works in its favor and the Dezaki direction elevates it to a much higher level; the use of sound and music and especially visuals makes it a more entertaining experience. There are also some writing changes, like Joe's first major character development; it was actually handled as something important and memorable in the anime, while the manga almost just glanced over it like it was nothing.
>>
>>124013057
I think it was the first entire series directed by Osamu Dezaki. So it might be worth it to you from that perspective.
>>
File: aoyama.jpg (29 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
aoyama.jpg
29 KB, 640x480
>>124013650
manga version:
>Joe gets beat up by Rikishi
>instantly has a change of heart and starts training

anime version:
>Joe gets beat up by Rikishi
>is completely crushed
>gets over it, escapes from prison
>meets a mailman who came to deliver some drawings from the kids (pic related) and more boxing lessons from Danpei
>remembers Rikishi
>has an epiphany
>"...fuck it, I'm going back. JUST YOU WAIT RIKISHI YOU BASTARD, I'LL KICK YOUR ASS!"
>super-dramatic scene of Joe running back to the prison with a redone, more fitting and hopeful version of the main theme playing in the background

basically Dezaki took a pretty standard execution of a very important character development and made it unforgettable.

also, this shot wasn't in the manga.
>>
File: joewolfpunch.jpg (40 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
joewolfpunch.jpg
40 KB, 640x480
>>124013802
It's not worth watching for the Dezaki direction because it's "historical", it's worth watching because it's more FUN than reading the manga. It's Dezaki's first but he went all the way with his stylistic quirks. There's very little animation, but it's easy to forgive when it's directed in such an entertaining way. It's not just a trace-over of the manga like people would expect from watching modern shittty fighting shonen adaptations.
>>
>>124013901
Sorry, it's been a while since I saw it. I really should try it again without shitty HK subs.
>>
>>124013901
And even then, when it does have proper movement, it tends to be good movement. Episode 1 is overall well-animated and it has its stand-outs beyond that.

Here's the bit where Joe gets his ass kicked by Rikishi (that I can't post because mp4 so have this other clip instead that's in webm form) http://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/9090/animated-artist_unknown-ashita_no_joe-fighting-sme
>>
>>124007441
It's just as dumb as the retards who only watch old anime because they think it's all harem battlers
>>
File: 1367108602471.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1367108602471.gif
2 MB, 300x225
But if you want a Dezaki TV show with an animation budget there's always Cobra.
>>
>>124013845
The anime is more elaborate for that version, true, but it's honestly pretty subjective whether the more elaborate version is that much better. You might feel that Joe's change of heart was too sudden in the manga, but I think it was still perfectly believable considering how hot-tempered and flighty Joe's character is established to be by that point. Tacking on a prison-escape and a conveniently timed epiphany can feel like the show's trying to hard to force a character change for some.

I'm not here to disagree whether you enjoy the anime more, I'm just pointing out that it's nowhere as clear-cut as you seem to think it is, despite Dezaki's talent.
>>
File: 1372988466953.gif (1020 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1372988466953.gif
1020 KB, 500x375
>>124014084
Not nearly as well written as Joe and some parts are really dumb in a way that's clearly not intentional, but Cobra himself is a fun character (even if he's not as great as Lupin, his primary inspiration) and the visuals kick tons of ass.
>>
Finished AnJ2 just a while ago, good as fuck. Made me realise once again that the stuff you mostly see on /a/ is fanservice harems doing nothing interesting.
Not every show can be a new Joe or Bebop or Eva, but there's a lot of crap every season, maybe one or two shows worth watching.
>>
>>124007441

i struggled to get through first season of fafner for that reason OP

the story was great, but i think bug eyed cat-people detracts a little.
>>
File: joe.jpg (25 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
joe.jpg
25 KB, 640x480
>>124014090
I personally disagree, since his freedom was the only thing that Joe had truly valued in his life up to that point, and giving it away for something greater was a major thing.
>>
File: Ashita no joe #09.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Ashita no joe #09.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>124013960
>Here's the bit where Joe gets his ass kicked by Rikishi (that I can't post because mp4 so have this other clip instead that's in webm form)

Did a quick conversion
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.