[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't more people read manga?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: bak14-splsh.jpg (169 KB, 600x342) Image search: [Google]
bak14-splsh.jpg
169 KB, 600x342
Whenever I meet people at university or wherever who like anime I always ask if they read manga, as there are occasionally those amazing series that don't have or never will have an anime. Yotsuba, Psyren, Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam (lol), etc. And of course there are plenty of series that had a great manga but a crappy anime adaptation like Death Note.

So what do you guys think, how come not as many anime fans read manga? If you don't read manga, why not?

I'm not saying this to be an elitist fag or anything, but I was introduced to the genre through manga and for a while I just assumed that pretty much all anime fans read manga. It hurts man.
>>
>>122948300
>why are retarded normalfags casual shitheads
what a tough question
>>
>>122948300
Because they don't want to appear like virgin nerds.
>>
>>122948300
anime is a lot more accessible.

I'd be really interested in getting into manga but this board only talks about like 4-5 series meanwhile the other 100 threads are about anime new and old, and i cant really be fucked to go lurk on some manga site
>>
>>122948300
The most people I know doesn't like to read, and if they do, it's better not to talk about it because reasons
>>
>>122948374
>virgin nerds

Hey man, not all nerds are virgins! What about that one guy wh- Oh yeah... We are all virgins.
>>
People who entered Japanimation world via anime tend to watch more than read and vice versa. To be honest, I was the same for the first few years until realizing that there are way more greater series only as manga.
>>
>>122948440
>anime is a lot more accessible.

Back in middle school I used to read a lot more manga because it is more easily accessible than anime. I don't read as much these days, but I still think its easier to get a hold of.
>>
>>122948300

Scanlator drama and hatred of waiting. I only read completed series now.
>>
>>122948300
Personally, I don't like waiting for updates. You wait weeks for one chapter to get translated, that's why when I saw that PunPun was finished, I read it in one go and it is one of my favorite mangas that I have read.
>>
>>122948539
Honestly if someone gave me raws and told me how to make the font nice, I'd solo translate.
>>
File: 1317834487918.jpg (74 KB, 490x424) Image search: [Google]
1317834487918.jpg
74 KB, 490x424
>>122948467
Thanks god.
>>
I read manga when I'm desperate to see what happens after an anime. Other than that, I just can't get the same emotional connection with pictures as I can with anime. It almost feels like a waste of time to read manga for me, because it lacks the personality of anime.

Just my onion tho
>>
>>122948300
Because you live in the US (guessing).
Here manga is much more accessible, widespread and developed than anime (which is dead on TV while internet hasn't caught up for widely used streaming yet), at least as far as legal option goes.
And somewhat more "normalfag" than anime, as comics have been accepted as (small) part of the culture for ages already.
>>
>>122948655
Same situation here
>>
>>122948618
>how to typeset
http://prettyanonymo.us/index.php/scanlation-resources/anonblacks-typesetting-guide/

>fonts
http://prettyanonymo.us/index.php/scanlation-resources/

>untranslated series with raws:
http://deadscanlations.tumblr.com/
>>
>>122948300
Because anime is more passive. You do nothing and the thing feeds you with sensory information. It's also why so many people prefer dubs.

If one were to read a manga, there'd be changing pages, reading text, moving eyes from panel to panel etc. all in order to understand what is being expressed. That's too much effort. It's a much more involving process.

Not dissing anime, obviously, because if you actually WATCH anime, I mean concentrate on the fucking thing you will not only understand it better, but also realise how shitty most anime is and develop a better taste.
>>
>>122948300
>meet people
That's where you went wrong, OP. From an /a/ point of view.
>>
>>122948300
I think it's because the lack of previews and fan-made material like for anime there's always at least some eye-catching PV that pops in the news and some AMV on youtube, while for manga: "new manga adaption from the novel X to make debut next month, <insert here 20 lines of text that describe everything and nothing>" meh ok, but it's so forgettable you know, I rarely found news articles that generate interest towards X manga or X novel, same for the user reviews, 100 lines of review then I'd rather just start reading at random, in facts the manga I read are randomly picked from the most rated lists of the read-online sites I visit, or when a TV series I like ends and there's no sequel then I go to the manga.

My time on anime is over 3 months total, on manga less than a week, I'm trying to balance though.
>>
>>122948862
Thanks. I'll start working on it in the summer when classes are over.
>>
I don't get it either, but I mean for non casuals. I can barely even sit through an anime series because I'm so used to setting my own (fast) pace while reading manga. My attention span just doesn't last for anime, it drags and most of the time the manga is better or on par anyway.

>>122948921
This might be part of why I prefer manga, because I'm not just sitting there doing nothing with my hands.
>>
>>122949229
I clean scans for the team that's doing Youkai Watch. If you're into kid stuff like that and Mega Man, you might like our group.
>>
for me manga has a lot more real good seinen stuff to offer than anime
>>
It's not fun if it's not voiced.
>>
>>122950048
>for me manga has a lot more real good seinen stuff to offer than anime

This^
>>
File: Heaven's Door_158.png (1 MB, 1700x2465) Image search: [Google]
Heaven's Door_158.png
1 MB, 1700x2465
>>122950085
>not hearing voices in your head
You should get that checked out
>>
I always preferred manga over anime, but I still don't know what's the most normal of both. I would say anime, since everyone watched shit like one piece and dragon ball.

And /a/ might bitch, but sometimes anime just pisses me off with the pandering and fanservice because they do it way more than manga. I know that I'm a weeb, no need to reassure me for liking what I like, thanks. Also, I a voice can put me off from an anime, text can't
>>
>>122951100
>they do it way more than manga
Do you mean in terms of % of anime series that rely on fanservice, or the amount of fanservice within a series?

Because I would argue anime is higher in the former, but manga is higher in the latter.
>>
File: KKNH6.png (805 KB, 1636x1200) Image search: [Google]
KKNH6.png
805 KB, 1636x1200
>>122948300
>>122948350
>>122948440
>>122948491

Aight but what can we do to get more people to read manga? Everyone knows manga is far better in almost every aspect, but casuals don't get that, but how can we get them into their brains to switch to manga, how do we encourage reading instead of watching so that hopefully, just hopefully the standard level of shit taste might be reduced a tiny bit.
>>
>>122952098
Wait, why you should do that?
I mean, who cares what others people do?
>>
90% times manga is better than anime, when i say to people i read manga mostly they think i'm weird. I just feel that manga is more "original", and anime is just made for retarded moefags anyway.

Even in Japan manga is enjoyed by people of all ages and respected media, while mostly kids and otakus watch anime.
>>
>>122952098
Find a great manga that doesn't have an anime and just keep making threads discussing it until they give it a try. It worked with One Punch Man.

When I was 11 I accidentally stumbled across FullMetal Alchemist in my local library and picked up thinking it looked cool. After a few volumes I found some episodes online, but there were only a few. It was always hard for me to find anime back then so I just stuck to manga since I could get my hands on whatever.
>>
File: 1416767787124.png (328 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
1416767787124.png
328 KB, 854x480
>>122952296
>>
File: 1422836515504.jpg (148 KB, 492x853) Image search: [Google]
1422836515504.jpg
148 KB, 492x853
>>122952296
I don't know anon, I like manga but you sound a little pretentious.
>>
>>122952219
Its not that you should, nor me, and I don't care whether other watch anime or do whatever, its just that I want to because I think anime is shit and I think people would have a very enjoyable time if they opened themselves to manga so I want to promote that, even if they're gonna read shit awful manga I think they're better off reading that than watching it.
>>
>>122952399
hmmm, yeah I guess that's a good start, I'll try that and see how it goes in the long run.
>>
>>122952296
>Even in Japan manga is enjoyed by people of all ages

I would say yes and no, it still has a stigma attached to it. For example you can sit in public reading something like Jump and nobody cares, but if you sit in public and read collected volumes of something you might get judged (of course it's Japan so nobody will probably say anything about it) But when you go to bookshops and buy a manga sometimes they offer to put a jacket on it so it looks like any normal book.
>>
>>122952488
>typing hmmm

Kill yourself.
>>
>>122948743
Where is "here"?
>>
>>122952500
I'd too give somebody weird looks I saw them reading some haremshit manga they collected, sure battleshonen is shit but Jump had some great series in the past.
>>
>>122952098
Who fucking cares? If they're retards to the core, there's no point. Non-casuals will just read manga on their own.
>>
>>122952588
Caring this much.
>>
>>122948300
Because if you ask me that question, I'm going to assume that you're a retarded. weeb.
>>
>>122948300
>there are more people who watch TV than read comics

Well color me surprised, I would never have guessed.

Next you'll tell me that there's even less people reading books and light novels.
>>
>>122952296
You have good opinion, but sounds like a pretentious faggot.
>>
>Anon anon, you got to see this awesome new series!
Yeah, have been reading that for 3 years already.
>>
>>122952658
But I am a retarded weeb ;3;
>>
>>122952665
>even less people reading books and light novels.
*fewer
>>
File: ௵.jpg (147 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
௵.jpg
147 KB, 500x375
I enjoy reading books a whole lot, not so much manga or comics.

I dont know, I'm just someone who reads the words and often forgets to look at the pictures. I remember reading like 10 chapters of Terraformars and having NO IDEA what the FUCK was going on.

also sometimes, when I do look at the pictures, they don't explain SHIT and still leave me confused.

Finally, things in motion are just more appealing to look at
>>
File: img000014.png (603 KB, 1200x1640) Image search: [Google]
img000014.png
603 KB, 1200x1640
I would watch more anime if there was more seinen stuff. It's not like I don't watch a lot already but I think that ""serious"" anime is almost always the most enjoyable
Imagine Kikou no Hito as anime. It could be really cool
>>
Because reading is a lot of effort for many people.
>>
>>122953457
But you need to read too when watching anime, right?
>>
>>122953068
>Imagine Kikou no Hito as anime. It could be really cool
10 years ago maybe. The industry today is too shit.
>>
>>122952592
I'd guess France or Italy.
>>
>>122954449
2005 was shit too, in another way than today but still shit.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.