[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can you justify giant mecha in anime? It's nonsense!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: RX-78-2_Gundam_illustration.gif (59 KB, 385x550) Image search: [Google]
RX-78-2_Gundam_illustration.gif
59 KB, 385x550
How can you justify giant mecha in anime?

It's nonsense!
>>
Minovsky particles.
>>
Say they were a development of construction machinery like in Patlabor.
>>
>>122468548
Replace 'giant mecha' with 'magic powers', 'spontaneous harem', or anything else that isn't realistic in anime.

It's fiction, that's why.
>>
>>122468869
Look, if Jesus could turn water into wine, I'm pretty sure a lot of magic stuff in anime is believable. But giant mecha? They're just impractical, and would just sink into the ground in most places.
>>
>>122469015
The ground is magic.
>>
>>122468548
Please don't bully
>>
Who cares
>>
>>122468869
That's not how it works you little shit.
>>
>>122469123
Are you telling me that fiction is required to be believable?
>>
>>122469258
No, I am telling you that those aspect of fiction that are based on reality should be based on reality.
If your fiction is based on the fact that standing upright in gunfights is superior to crouching and taking cover for no real reason then your story has a flaw.
If you say that standing upright is better than crouching and taking cover because it evokes the power of manliness within you that protects you from bullets then your story is internally consistent.
Giant mecha are the former. Magic is the latter.
>>
>>122469338
Wow you sound like an expert on writing.
>>
>>122469338
Literally no one gives a fuck
>>
>>122469464
Your statement is proven wrong by this very thread.
>>
>>122468548
because it looks cool
>>
>>122468548
in pacific rim, apparently the giant monsters had really poisonous/radioactive blood, so bash attacks were preferred over slash/piercing. And the giants kept getting bigger, so the robots had to keep getting bigger.
>>
>>122469015
>They're just impractical, and would just sink into the ground in most places.
You forget Gundam originally was set mainly in space.
>>
>>122471616
>in pacific rim,
Some robots actually used ranged attacks. So apparently cruise missiles work. There is no reason why you couldn't plant a number of missile launchers on the fucking wall instead of keeping it completely undefended.
It was shitty writing for the sole purpose of keeping the mecha in the game.
>>
>>122471694
So what did they need legs for?
>>
File: becuase it looks cool.jpg (99 KB, 640x1442) Image search: [Google]
becuase it looks cool.jpg
99 KB, 640x1442
>>
>>122471699
The wall surrounds the pacific ocean. How do you plan on arming the whole thing considering that Kaij could pop up anywhere along it?
>>
Minovsky Particles
>>
>>122471756
AMBAC. You need limbs for that.
>>
>>122472138
Put rails on it. Put a train on those rails.
Arm that train with 10 times as much firepower as the robots.
>>
>>122469015
>>122468548
>jesus
THIS THREAD'S A BAIT
>>
>>122471616
No, they used the Jaeger because while military tactics could and DID work, it took too long and they'd have done their rampage. Their blood would then spill and make the area inhospitable.

Jaegers would instead intercept them in the ocean, where they did minimal damage with their blood. Boats would get capsized and destroyed by the sheer movements of them, to say nothing of the kaiju outright bypassing them. Jaegers could handle drops from great heights, the pressure from great depths and ould handle urban combat decently. Jaegers were unbelievably versatile.
>>
Where did giant robots came from anyways, the concept I mean, Is it golems?
>>
>>122468548
Magic.
>>
>>122472374
If memory serves, there was something in Hindu mythology that was a giant structure of metal that wielded rotating blades upon one arm and could fire arrows at great distances. Can't remember where I read this though.
>>
>>122472220
The Kaiju broke through the wall really damn quick. By the time the train gets their it could be long gone.
>>
because they look cool and it's anime so who cares
>>
>>122472431
By that same logic the robots would be completely useless. The train would not be slower than the robots.
>>
>>122468548
Minovsky Particles
>>
>>122472374
>>122472429
Pretty sure a mechanical man is mentioned in some greek story as well for liek one line. Guarded the edge of a cliff and threw rocks at boats passing by or something while their was some dragon thing on the adjacent cliff that would eat boats that got to close to its side of the pass trying to avoid the rocks.
>>
>>122469485
Yup, still no one.
>>
Because robots are cool and fuck you, that's why.
>>
>>122472457
The Robots can be airlifted to whereever teh kaiju are headed as well as being able to intercept them on land or in the ocean itself. The train is stuck on a fixed track on the wall, and if the kaiju breaks through the wall the train is not only unable to follow it onto land, but the tracks are fucked up and need to be repaired before the train can be used again as well.
>>
File: nuh.jpg (11 KB, 368x245) Image search: [Google]
nuh.jpg
11 KB, 368x245
>used to love mecha more than anything
>get a degree in engineering because love mecha
>now I hate mecha
FUCK MY LIFE
>>
>>122472431
To be fair, the wall wasn't even finished being constructed.

Though even if it was and the trains did work, the Kaiju would either evolve to get around the them, or would come in amounts that they could not handle. This was already happening.

>>122472457
This guy is ignoring that Jaegers were already getting outpaced and fighting a losing battle against the kaijuu. The only reason why humanity was saved was because of how Jaegers were built.
>>
>>122472503
I'm pretty you're thinking of Talos.
>>
>>>/m/

Seriously, ask them.
>>
>>122472558
>The Robots can be airlifted to whereever teh kaiju are
The train gets a head-start on account of being on the tracks from the beginning.
The is probably also more than one train, since trains are way cheaper than giant robots.
>>
>Pacific Rim
>>
>>122472708
Not when you arm them with 10 times the amount of the Jaegers.

Trains also lose out on the fact that they are only a defense line and not an interceptor.
>>
>>122472736
For offense you use missile cruisers.

>Not when you arm them with 10 times the amount of the Jaegers.
Yes. Yes, they are. The offense part of the robots was only a tiny fraction of their costs. They required fucking power plants to be even able to move at all.
>>
>>122472708
>The train gets a head-start on account of being on the tracks from the beginning.

Yeah, but you can fly the Jaegers in a straight line towards the kaiju as well as intercept them before they even reach the wall. The train is stuck following a fixed roundabout path along the wall.
>>
>>122472811
>missile cruisers.
Also, carriers, probably. Battleships with railguns.

There's lots of good options.
>>
File: Clean_Striker_Eureka_Poster.jpg (489 KB, 800x1135) Image search: [Google]
Clean_Striker_Eureka_Poster.jpg
489 KB, 800x1135
Seem like missiles work just fine.
>>
>>122472853
>you can fly the Jaegers in a straight line towards the kaiju
The wall is probably rather straight as well if it's that long.
>>
>>122472715
Go back to facebook.
>>
>>122472900
>The wall is probably rather straight as well if it's that long.

It can't go straight to the kaiju, it needs to travel along the wall to where they think the Kaiju will appear at it. The Jaegers can be flown straight to the kaiju itself before it even reaches the wall.
>>
File: the_wall_worked.gif (3 MB, 444x267) Image search: [Google]
the_wall_worked.gif
3 MB, 444x267
>>122472811
>Yes. Yes, they are. The offense part of the robots was only a tiny fraction of their costs.

Per train it's cheaper. however you need to factor in the cost of the wall and rail system it needs to operate as well.
>>
>>122472811
Missiles barely worked on the first kaiju and it took them 3 days. By the point the wall was at during the start of the movie, if you had been bombarding them with the current weaponry, they'd have just evolved to completely ignore it.

Even granting the huge jump in logic that your trains can somehow keep up with the evolution of Kaiju, again, the train wouldn't be able to have ended the Kaiju threat. By the end of the movie, if the current events kept up, humanity would have been overrun within a week.

Do you seriously think that a train can handle 10 kaiju at the same time?
>>
>>122473130
>It can't go straight to the kaiju,
No, but it can go straight to the place that the kaiju is closest to.
Once the train is there, the kaiju has to be over 1.4 times as fast as the train to get past it. Trains can move at 300 km/h, so the kaiju would need to move at more than 424 km/h through water to get past the train. That's without even seeing the train, because once it's in sight the artillery will already have started firing.
That's pretty much impossible.
>>
>>122473288
Indeed, the wall is a rather stupid idea.
The really smart thing would have been to gather a super fleet in a ring formation around the spot in the pacific ocean where all the kaiju come from.
I was just going from what was there in-universe.
>>
>>122473295
>Missiles barely worked on the first kaiju and it took them 3 days.
Explosives worked to the end. What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
File: N² mine.png (606 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
N² mine.png
606 KB, 1440x1080
Jagers are overly complex, overly expensive, hard to trained pilots, can't be mass produced and they get rekted by Kaijus. Surely conventional weapons would be better.
>>
>>122473288
Did he die?
>>
>>122473302
>No, but it can go straight to the place that the kaiju is closest to.
It can't. It needs to follow the path of the wall in a round about rout. It can't go form point A to point B in a straight line, it needs to follow the wall. That's the point. And the wall was not a straight line.

> Trains can move at 300 km/h, so the kaiju would need to move at more than 424 km/h through water to get past the train.

The Kaiju and the train are not racing side by side anon.
>>
>>122473412
>It needs to follow the path of the wall
Which is pretty much a straight line as I already told you.

>And the wall was not a straight line.
The wall goes around the fucking pacific ocean. Only a retarded moron would build anything that never straight further than 1 meter from the water.
>>
>>122473412
>The Kaiju and the train are not racing side by side anon.
The kaiju is running towards the wall. The train is moving along the wall.
Do I need to draw you a diagram?
>>
>>122473386
Both the movie, novel, and side material state the conventional weaponry took 3 days and multiple nukes to kill Tresspasser (The first kaiju), with the second kaiju not being much easier.

Strikers has missiles that bombard the Kaiju up close with a focused barrage and then can close in to guarantee a kill if that doesn't work. The Coyote tango has simply enormous cannons. I think Romeo blue had gattlign guns but it never mentions how well those worked (Romeo blue also later got its ass kicked once the kaiju started getting tougher).
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.