[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stupid questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
Why isn't anime more mainstream?
>>
No one takes cartoons seriously except for serious fans, which is pretty much true for any niche television
>>
>>122313768
Because it's shit.
>>
It's too sophisticated for the average dullards.
>>
>>122313768
Because it's hardly ever on western TV outside of kids shows that market games
>>
Why isn't anime more feminist-friendly?
>>
>>122313768
Anime was mainstream in the 90s/early 00s.
It's mainstream enough that there are still a few American companies still making money off of selling it.
Basically the fad is dying.
>>
>>122313768
Who want anime more mainstream?
>>
>>122313768
no one wants to read subtitles
the dubs are a joke
cartoons are for children
>>
Since I'm too lazy to make a new thread I'll just ask here.

Whats the best manga reading app for android?
>>
>>122314451
a computer
>>
>>122313768
actually, it is pretty mainstream. here in SEA atleast.
>>
>>122314451
MangaRock is good. Reading on a tiny phone screen is shit, though.
>>
>>122314282
>dubs are a joke
why do so many people hate dubs?
>>
>>122314767
because they don't get them
>>
Cause those damn Nips did Pearl Harbor that's why. Fucking Nips.
>>
>>122313768
This isn't /g/
>>
>>122314451
es file viewer
>>
>>122313768
Anime in the west is called cartoons and it's main target is kiddies. There you go.
>>
>>122314829
They're USA's bitch now, like we care.

Anime isn't mainstream because, well, look at the anime being shown this season and only a few would actually be shown in USA due to political and social standards. Here we are used to LOLSORANDUMBXDD episodic cartoons targeted to children and teenagers while Nips make shit like moe, harem, shounen, etc. with either self-insert MCs or little girls that appeases the otaku culture over there. Most American "otaku" enjoy shounen also due to the expectations that everything will be like DBZ, Pokemon, Naruto, and in lesser cases, Bleach, Inuyasha, Death Note, and One Piece.

Now kill yourself.
>>
>>122313768
Nobody cared who I was before I watched the anime.
>>
File: 1320771162516.jpg (322 KB, 864x970) Image search: [Google]
1320771162516.jpg
322 KB, 864x970
because its terrible and inferior to hollywood fiction in every way, unless

-you actually like animation for its own sake
-you like the personality of japan and its people
-you like nerdy shit and pandering for kissless virgins

rules out almost everyone.
>>
>>122315115
If I take away your anime, will you die?
>>
>>122315166
It would be extremely depressing.
>>
>>122314216
It's the most feminist-friendly medium.
>>
>>122315151
>hollywood fiction
>better than anything
>>
>>122313838
Anime is for kids mainly though. Give me one anime airing this season that you could honestly recommend to an adult viewer.
>>
>>122315373
You're a big weeaboo.
>>
>>122314767
For me, it's because the discrepancies in voice acting quality are immediately noticeable. Thought the same thing when I first started watching anime and that hasn't changed.
>>
East Asian culture does not mesh well at all with Western culture. Works from East Asia that have mass appeal in the West, like video games, are either characteristically simple, or are specifically adapted to a Western audience (ex. Woolseyism).

To successfully import anime to the masses in the West, the show must lose its esoterically Japanese aspects, or lack those aspects initially. The former is actually pretty rare to gain mass appeal, but the watered-down image of Japanese culture is common in translated works like the CLANNAD and Lucky Star dubs. The latter stretches the spectrum, from shonen shows like Naruto and Bleach, to Pokemon, to Death Note, to SNK, to Cowboy Bebop; all these shows do not require a Japanese context to be appreciated.

The biggest exception would be Miyazaki films and other "artsy" anime. Individuals on /a/ may disagree with this, but I believe such films cross cultural barriers because they are well made, meaningful, and have a universal import. Spirited Away, for example, might feature heavy influence of Japanese culture in its setting and the characters, but the film develops the characters without a Japanese stereotype, as is very common in anime.

In short, the anime which is popular in the West is popular either due to the impressive quality of the work, or the generalization of the work.

TLDR It tends to either be shit which does not suit /a/'s taste, like DBZ, or stuff which /a/ does not consider to be "true", otaku-approved anime, like Miyazaki.
>>
>>122315537
Death Parade. It's a little too tryhard/edgy at times, but it overall was pretty successful at getting people interested in trying out other anime when I recommended it to them.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.