[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would the industry be better off if he were still alive? Or was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: tezuka-welcome.jpg (14 KB, 230x265) Image search: [Google]
tezuka-welcome.jpg
14 KB, 230x265
Would the industry be better off if he were still alive?
Or was he a man that drowned in his ideals and died?
>>
>>121554267
Manga-wise, no, since plenty of mangaka draw stories of all genres now for all demographics. He wouldn't really be all that special today.

Anime-wise, no, since Mushi production went bankrupt and he was never really an amazing director.
>>
Though he probably wouldn't elevate manga today and quite a few mangaka surpassed him it's safe to wish for him alive long enough to finish Phoenix.
>>
>>121554754

Having someone that actually had a remote clue how actual people acted and behaved and what their struggles were and could write about things that weren't strictly related to otaku culture and for all ages and audiences to boot would be a huge boon to the industry for sure. If people want to start an "Oh he was overhyped hurf durf" thing by all means go ahead, but I'll just offer that there was a reason he was called the god of manga and was respected for his contributions to the industry. It wasn't a matter of just an era, his stuff is kind of timeless and people should read more of it. If you want something a little darker try MW or Ode to Kirihito. If you want something a little more light hearted try Astro Boy or Jungle Taitei. If you want something that attempts to study the human condition try Buddha or Phoenix.
>>
>>121554971

The only mangaka that is even remotely close to being able to stand in the same circle as him is Naoki Urasawa.
>>
He did his damage. There's no reason for the industry to be much different besides another guy who would probably be complaining about 'the state of the industry'. Honestly, look at Nagai. You don't really see him do anything substantial anymore.

See how he was influenced by Gekiga. He himself had to adapt to the changes in the industry he created.
>>
>>121555102
>Having someone that actually had a remote clue how actual people acted and behaved and what their struggles were and could write about things that weren't strictly related to otaku culture and for all ages and audiences to boot would be a huge boon to the industry for sure

There's plenty of that already. Why do you think reading manga is common for all demographics in Japan? Because there's plenty of mangaka that can already write stories that resonate with their readers, whether they be children, teens, adults, or seniors.

Also, I've read quite a few of his stuff, even translated one, in fact. I prefer his lighter stories as I think his darker stuff tends to get outclassed by his contemporaries.
>>
>>121555225
I like the ones in between mostly. I really dislike MW and Ode to Kirihito. Honestly I think his darker stuff was already outclassed back in its time with Tatsumi.
>>
>>121554754

Mushi Production went bankrupt for two reasons. One is because it didn't have a very feasible business model with strictly adapting Tezuka's manga to anime in an era where anime really didn't have much of a driving force behind it and there was simply little market for it the way their was for manga. The second is because despite his many upsides Tezuka was a noted control freak who wanted to have absolute say in everything and this annoyed other staffers to the point where they decided they wanted to have a fresh start and be able to produce their own content and have a say in things for themselves. Thus they left the company and founded Sunrise.

Tezuka went on to found Tezuka Productions and unfortunately designed a business model known as the production committee model to make the new studio economically feasible so that the same things wouldn't happen again. Today said model is now used by big interests who give zero fucks about anything but their own ends that's used to make todays mishmash multimedia oriented commercial series. Of the many things I respect him for that's the one thing I wish he'd never done to anime, though in all fairness at the time I doubt he could have ever predicted how far the production committee model would go to stifling creativity decades after the fact. Had he I doubt he would have floated the idea in the first place.
>>
>>121555287
Ode to Kirihito, I really love, actually. My favourite of his darker works.
>>
>>121555102
Otaku pandering isn't an issue in the manga industry. The demographic is very different from anime.
>>
Tezuka is fine but sometimes I think people forget how much of a jerk he was to other artists whenever he became jealous of their skill levels or considered their work to be unfit for manga/anime format. Aside from that he was an incredibly hard worker and perfectionist, which I respect him for.
>>
>>121555315
Really? I haven't heard him being a huge dick to other mangaka. Got any anecdotes?
>>
>>121555315
I know of the classic example of Ishinomori, but was there really anyone else? I read JUN and I was actually really not impressed. I do enjoy other works by him though.

On the flip side, the same goes for the people envious of him. Look at Miyazaki. I don't think he could've done what he did without the ego.
>>
File: 112608_blackjack02.jpg (75 KB, 250x368) Image search: [Google]
112608_blackjack02.jpg
75 KB, 250x368
>>121555287

I personally prefer his works like Buddha and Phoenix as well. Some of the stories could be really depressing but others could be quite uplifting and hopeful. Also the guy really knew how to use the format and frames well. I've never seen something like the whole Black Jack fragmented well. Naoki Urasawa manages to capture his tendency to use simple body language and framing to convey more than text ever could, but he never really adopted his use of framing that I'm aware. Like one page you could be looking at a full two page spread, the next you'd get something like pic related.
>>
>>121555314

Okay fair, that's more of a Light Novel kind of thing. Sometimes Visual Novels too but not always.
>>
>>121555314
More like the anime demographic is merely a part of the manga one (note that more manga adaptions whether it be battle, harem, or SoL tend to be shounen manga).
>>
>>121555129
No, the only mangaka even remotely close to Tezuka's level is Fujiko Fujio duo.
You can ask ANY fucking Japanese and you'll get that reply 90% of the time.
>>
>>121555454
Now if we can have a Tezuka of LNs, that would be awesome.
>>
>>121555485
>more like the anime demographic is merely a part of the manga one
No, a lot of the anime demographic don't read manga, and seasonal anime are more likely to be LN adaptations or original than manga nowadays. Not to say that there aren't still a lot of manga adaptations, but they aren't the majority.
>>
>>121555454

Manga is one of the few genres that has managed to stay multi-demographic and shows the least signs of this changing. Anime has slipped a lot IMO since it started becoming increasingly dependent on adaptations of popular light novel and visual novel stuff towards the end of the 2000's. Originals aren't exactly lighting the world on fire lately either and are starting to imitate the otaku wank tendencies of LN/VN stuff more and more, possibly because a lot of todays most popular and prolific writers are starting to become ones that have crossed over from those mediums and that's the only audience they really know how to write for.
>>
>>121555559
That Guin Saga person?
>>
>>121555617
Died before finishing it right? Although there are people continuing it as I recalled.
>>
>>121555493

I meant ones still alive and/or writing today. As in from the current generation of authors.
>>
>>121555617
Weren't those actual novels? And I feel like any writer wanting to reach a broader audience would write a regular novel and not a LN. LNs just seem like people trying to write "anime" of their own.
>>
>>121555600
tl;dr: fix LNs, fix anime
>>
>>121555677
I don't think is any mangaka from the current generation in league with the likes of Tezuka and Nagai. They had series going on simultaneously in dozens of magazines weekly and somehow managed to pull it off.
>>
>>121555169
Good post, I tend to agree.

Tezuka certainly burned the brightest, but his time is over. That wouldn't change if he were alive.

Everyone has to pass the torch to the younger generations eventually. That's life.
>>
>>121555695
LNs are basically just genre fiction, mostly YA genre fiction. Think Harry Potter and Twilight. The reason that overlaps with anime so much is specifically because anime started adapting LNs so much.
>>
I never knew Jackie Chan was related to Tezuka
>>
File: fuusuke.jpg (80 KB, 536x544) Image search: [Google]
fuusuke.jpg
80 KB, 536x544
Surprisingly enough, his sex comedy manga Fuusuke was great. I wouldn't have minded seeing more of that instead of grimdark stuff.
>>
>>121554267
>Would the industry be better off if he were still alive?
Yes
One of the only people doing something different
Basically created both manga and anime as we know them
His short films were all at least interesting and at best awe inspiring
If alive he would surely have influenced many animators further whether directly or not
He paved a path but could've gone further, no one else dares to do that, they just follow what's been laid out
>>
The man worked himself to death
And the people making anime and manga do the same, though successful mangaka tend to have it far easier than anyone else besides industry celebrities
>>
Overall quantity and influence I can easily say none of today's manga best him (When you basically invented manga it's pretty hard to surpass you in that area).

Though when it comes to quality of said manga I still think some mangaka such as Urasawa, Mizukami, Inoue, Iwaaki are better. Despite this he'll always be the god of manga.
>>
>>121555102
People like you are exactly why Tezuka gets called "overhyped".
>>
If anyone could, Tezuka would have been the man to create a link to the west (probably like what Ghibli did eith Disney) and you'd have a more diverse and economically diverse industry
>>
>>121558121
> Tezuka lives long enough through the 90's so the west sees the viability of anime as a television medium)

Christ things would be different
>>
I don't know that he would've made that much of a difference in terms of the industry at large. But it'd be worth it if he spent that time finishing Phoenix.
>>
every post-tezuka manga is simply a combination of two of his manga
>>
>>121558348
What is Onani Master Kurosawa a combination of?
>>
>>121558348
You're stupid.
>>
> Anno forgetting to put Tezuka in Daicon

Wasn't even relevant when he was alive
>>
>>121558464
>Some autistic little shit kid
>More relevant than the god of manga
>>
>>121558606
> sucking off western comics and Disney
>god of anything but being a total hack
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.