[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How fucking hard is it to find some English voice actors who
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: english-language-day.jpg (24 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
english-language-day.jpg
24 KB, 600x400
How fucking hard is it to find some English voice actors who can ACT? Why are English dubs almost always so shit, /a/? They shouldn't be if the people in charge of casting aren't constantly fucking things up and picking shitty actors who can't read a script without sounding so dull and uninspired!

It actually makes me angry /a/.
>>
They have pretty much no fucking budget like 99% of the time, what are you expecting?
>>
Dub studios can't afford to hire real actors, so they make do with cosplayers at AnimeFest, of which there is a nearly infinite supply.
>>
>>121377287
You can't put Steve Blum and Michelle Ruff in every show ever.

That required variety is why dubs will always suck ass.

There are no good English VAs anymore.
>>
Dub thread?
Dub thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs
>>
File: 1388888327301.jpg (252 KB, 734x787) Image search: [Google]
1388888327301.jpg
252 KB, 734x787
>>121377499
I remember watching it with other anons in a stream
The dubbers were based as fuck
>>
>>121377287
The thing is, most people will always have a biased judgement in term of English dub since the Japanese dub is the first thing you listen to. So even if there was a good English voice actor it will always sound like shit. However in the case of incompetent English VA, since anime has kinda a niche community not all VA will go through training or school specifically for that like Japan. I think that's why English VA will be shitty both ways, unless you are willing to create a school that will train people for it.
>>
File: hehwut.jpg (26 KB, 241x230) Image search: [Google]
hehwut.jpg
26 KB, 241x230
>>121377499
This can't be real.
>>
if you understood Japanese the JP dubs would sound just as awful.
>>
>>121377717
Says every person ever who has no clue what they're talking about.
>>
>>121377581
So how come I can stomach and maybe even enjoy some Spanish dubs? I think English dubs are a special kind of shit.
>>
>>121377668
It's from the 2000s anime bubble, where dub studios got the rights to all kinds of awful series they had no idea how to sell. For this one they decided to have some fun with it.
>>
>>121377734
There is some truth to it. They usually won't be as terrible as the English, but it's not like the Nip VAs are never bad at their jobs.
And when it's terrible in Japanese, you'd never notice because you can just ignore it and read the subtitles instead.
>>
Based Australian Voice actors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tP-CMgGDxA
>>
>>121377845
Well yeah naturally some people can suck at their job, you can't honestly say that the Jap VA industry is just as bad as English given that they even have schools to train VAs and things like that.
>>
>>121377717
You can tell when there is a bad voice actor just by phonetics alone, regardless if you understand.
>>
>>121377499

Downloading this at the speed of light holy shit
>>
>>121377845
>it's not like the Nip VAs are never bad at their jobs
No shit sherlock, that's a universal thing around the world. Are you seriously trying to use that as a foundation for your argument? Fucking retarded faggot.
>>
It seems a lot of english VAs voice a caricature of the person their voicing rather than voice the role.
Which is to say, rather than voicing the role of, for example, a schoolgirl who becomes learns to use magic, they put on the voice of some sickingly pink japanime mock-up of a magic girl.
>>
>>121377845
while there are a lot of bad japanese VA's, it's rare that they compose an entire cast, like they often do in english dubs
>>
>>121377287
>people in charge of casting
isn't it this? bad dubs are 90% the fault of the localization staff.

>poor casting
>poor scripts
>not listening to the original audio
>not having the vas record together in real time
>>
>>121378493
It's more

>Budget of whatever spare change the staff found in the cushions

than anything else. If you check dubs that had actual decent budgets, they'll usually be at least watchable.
>>
>>121378493
>not having the vas record together in real time
Almost no American shows do this. With a skilled voice director (like Andrea Romano) you can't even tell.

But of course anime dubs can't afford Andrea Romano.
>>
>>121377287
What anon? Are you trying to tell me that you DON'T like mildly overweight 25+ year old women that all sound the same doing the voice for every girl?
>>
>>121377845
>>121377717
I understand Japanese well enough to know that this is bullshit. So rarely are the VAs bad-- and even when something doesn't sound good it's usually more of a character mismatch.

Practically the inverse of most dubs, where I want to tear my ears off from the constant character mismatches and the horrible acting/voicing skills.
>>
>>121380502
The only notable mismatch I actually got uncomfortable with was Watashi from Jinrui.
When she first speaks all it came to me was "Is that really her voice?" but you get used to it soon.
>>
>>121377360
American dubs cost as much to record as Japanese ones.
>>
>>121377287
>so dull and uninspired!
It's the opposite problem I think. I think most dubs could use a good dose of everyone calming the fuck down.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.