[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>dat narration speed How much cocaine is this guy taking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (186 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
186 KB, 1280x720
>dat narration speed
How much cocaine is this guy taking
>>
>>121189272
You think that's hard, try watching Bakomonogatari.
>>
File: comfy 3.webm (3 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
comfy 3.webm
3 MB, 720x480
He's just a lonely pretentious asshole with an overactive mind.
Just like /a/.
>>
>>121189295
The Tatami Galaxy is much faster than Bakemonogatari.
>>
>>121189394
Nah dude, I counted.
>>
>>121189295
We had threads about pausing in order to read the dialogue. Bakemonogatari may have a lot of talking, but it's not nearly as fast.
>>
>>121189370
>>121189272
is this Shaft?
>>
>>121189525
It's wannabe Shaft.
>>
First episode felt fast as fuck. Second and onwards seemed to be slower, or I just got used to it.
Great anime though.
>>
>>121189525
>>121189571
Is this bait?
>>
>>121189525
Madhouse.
>>
>>121189593
It's wannabe bait.
>>
>>121189272
Japanese is one of the faster spoken languages, it has a particularly low meaning to syllable density, it probably wouldn't seem extreme to a native listener although it is speedy compared to most anime especially with reading the subtitles.
>>
>>121189786
> it has a particularly low meaning to syllable density
you probably mean high
>>
>>121190035
No I mean each syllable in the language counts for relatively little meaning so they have to say a lot to say the same meanings as people in other languages and as a consequence tend to speak more quickly.
>>
>>121190035
>>121190760
For all of the other languages, the researchers discovered, the more data-dense the average syllable was, the fewer of those syllables had to be spoken per second — and thus the slower the speech. English, with a high information density of .91, was spoken at an average rate of 6.19 syllables per second. Mandarin, which topped the density list at .94, was the spoken slowpoke at 5.18 syllables per second. Spanish, with a low-density .63, ripped along at a syllable-per-second velocity of 7.82. The true speed demon of the group, however, was Japanese, which edged past Spanish at 7.84, thanks to its low density of .49. Despite those differences, at the end of, say, a minute of speech, all of the languages would have conveyed more or less identical amounts of information.
>>
>>121190837
Which makes sense if you look at Japanese syllables. Unless I'm completely retarded.
>>
>>121189465
Ill admit when i first started to watch bake i paused to look at the words that would flash on screen during conversations but it just got too tedious. Besides that Tatami Galaxy has much faster banter
>>
>>121189786
I always suspect that the spoken word in anime has to sound like retard talk/talking to children to the japanese in most animes I watch. I'm glad in a way, because it lets meread the subs written there, but I always feel a tad guilty for listening to retard talk.
>>
>>121189786
If Japanese has low information density, reading English translation should be way easier than it's for the native to understand what's being said.
>>
>>121191385
No not really, you are making the false assumption that the syllable per second speed of comprehension remains constant when switching from reading to speaking.
>>
>>121191385
>>121191473
And also just think about it something more dense with information just takes longer to comprehend even if the reading and listening rate remains constant. So even if the word count is lower because of the higher information density the ideas will take just as long to actually read and understand.
>>
>>121191473
Actually, syllable per second speed of comprehension when reading is greater than when speaking, unless you're Amerifat or illiterate.
>>
This isn't the rose-colored campus life that I'd imagined.
>>
>>121191798
Link to source? I was trying to find one myself to make this comparison but was unable to it seems most of them only calculate average wpm for reading speeds which would mean you would need to find a source for average syllables per word and do a calculation. I won't take your word for it though so if you can't be bothered to prove it never mind. If not find me one higher than that 6.19 syllables per second reading as average for english natives.
>>
>>121191977
Isn't it self evident? Even if we assume one syllable per word it's faster to read, unless I'm an exceptionally fast reader, which I have no reason to believe.
>>
>>121192150
Check out note 19 on page 39 here
http://www.tolk.su.se/polopoly_fs/1.58139.1321532012!/gottlieb_2001c.pdf
>In Britain, “the average reading speed of adult viewers is estimated at 66% of the average speaking speed”, according to the Independent Television Commission (De Linde & Kay 1999, 11).
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.