[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has an otherwise good show ever been ruined for you by a completely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11
File: pic_related.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
pic_related.jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
Has an otherwise good show ever been ruined for you by a completely insufferable protag?
>>
Yes.
>>
>>120914925
SAO was never good, don't kid yourself.
>>
>>120914804
>insufferable

Read the VN.
>>
>>120914804
but he is just the ultimate straight man.
>>
>>120915072
His more fucked up than Kotomine
>>
>>120914804
HxH has that fucking psychopath in green shorts
>>
>>120915026

I liked the concept at the time, and not knowing it was a LN I watched it blind as one can be.

Never again will i watch things from light novels again. They have a tendency to dissapoint.
>>
Yes
>>
Hyouka
>>
>>120914804
shirou is just your typical idealistic good guy MC

but more fucked up on the extreme level and suicidal
>>
Index
>>
Not really, usually show's with bad protag's are usually always shit.
>>120914925
SAO was shit and it's not solely because of Kirito The world logic in and outside of the game was cringeworthy
>>
>>120914804
I don't get why people call Shirou a Gary Stu. It's like they never played through UBW or HF.
>>
>>
>>120915438
>It's like they never played through UBW or HF
It's not "like" they didn't play it. They didn't play it.
>>
File: It bothers me.jpg (374 KB, 1094x450) Image search: [Google]
It bothers me.jpg
374 KB, 1094x450
>>120915399
>talking shit about Touman
>>
File: Being Shirou is suffering.png (301 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Being Shirou is suffering.png
301 KB, 800x600
>>120915438
>UBW and HF
Shirou isn't even a Gary Stu in Fate as well.
>>
shirou's alright
>>
>>120914804
F/SN wouldn't work without Shirou as the protagonist.
It would make even less sense than Eva without Shinji.
>>
>>120915604
He's not really a gary stu in any bit he's just very insufferable in Fate because of NO SABER YOU CANNOT INTO FIGHT I mean despite the fact you are a near peerless swordsman imbued with crazy magics that make you pratically a god YOU ARE STILL A WEAK GIRL I SHOULD FIGHT INSTEAD.

Fate Shirou was the most impratical illogical motherfucker
>>
>>120914925
No it would be good without the fucking harem plot
In every episode he was meeting a new girl shit got annoying.
>>
>>120915604
The vocal anti-Shiroufags take him at face value and don't make any effort to read between the lines. The point of his character is to take a stock 90's shonen hero and show how completely insane and fucked up someone would have to be in order to act like that.
>>
>>120914804
>>120914925
Pic not related right? Those are already horrible.
>>
Although, to be fair, a lot of shounen could be improved without the protagonist.
>>
>>120916023
>pratically a god
hahahaha. Goku could take her out no problem.
>>
>>120916223
obvious b8
>>
File: 240477.jpg (33 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
240477.jpg
33 KB, 225x350
>>120914804
I don't hate Inaho, but he is making A/Z really boring to me. There's no suspense because he always saves the day.
>>
>>120916023
>a near peerless swordsman imbued with crazy magics that make you pratically a god
First time he sees her fight she gets almost stabbed in the hearth by Lancer and in the next on she is almost cleaved in half Berserker. It's not strange for him to think she needs someone to protect her.
>>
>>120916408
*almost cleaved in half by Berserker.
>>
That nigga from Shakugan no Shana

The side characters were so much better
>>
>>120916023
Hey. Guy who hasnt watche fate since that first abomination that came out around 2006 here. Can anyone confirm or deny that this is really the mc's motivation?
>>
>>120916023
lt's Avalon talking "I just wanna wrap you up in a blanket of inviolable cosmic peace gurl"

it's not like he has any problem with fighting and killing girls, just Kiritsugu's slapdash necromancy acting up again
>>
>>120916492
>Saber has appeared in so many different forms in spin-offs over the past 10 years, she's become a sort of poster girl for TYPE-MOON. From your point of view, Urobuchi, how do you view Saber?

>Uro: Honestly, Saber doesn't look much like a heroine to me. I can still see traces of the male version of Saber that appeared in the early version of Fate. Because of that mental image, Saber's relationship with Shirou doesn't seem like a realistic relationship between a male and a female, but a complicated relationship with a boy who became a girl.

>Nasu: Typical Urobuchi... I really can't pull the wool over your eyes... I intended to take that to the grave with me, but I guess this 10-year anniversary is a good place to talk about it. Just like Urobuchi-san said, it's difficult to call the relationship between Shirou and Saber a relationship between a man and a woman. Saber has fought for a long time as the ruler of Britain, but then turned into a girl all of a sudden and fell in love with Shirou. It's pretty ridiculous when you think about it. But I really wanted to push it towards that sort of boy-meets-girl story. So as a last resort, I had Shirou continually say things to her like "But you're a girl," and "Girls aren't supposed to fight," in order to remind the users that "she is really a girl." It's like the author's actually the one trying to convince Saber that she's a girl... I feel like I could have written it a lot better now, but that was the best I could do at the time.
>>
>>120916408
Don't forget that she afterwards gets her ass handed to her by assassin and Shirou needs to carry back home after she walk willingly in a trap
>>
>>120915438
Gary Stu's become a hotbutton buzzword with the rise of light novel anime adaptations.

He's not a Gary Stu, but it doesn't mean he's a particularly compelling, engaging or even good protagonist.
>>
F/SN without Emiya and his morals is literally not even F/SN.
>>
>>120916663
Saber really was worthless in her own route. I can't understand how anyone can have a problem with Shirou seeing her as a weak girl that needs protection when she is exactly that.

>>120916702
Few protagonist comes even close to being as good as Shirou.
>>
>>120916804
>Few protagonist comes even close to being as good as Shirou.
I'd recommend you to read books
>>
>>120916804

Even Naruto is a better protagonist than SHITrou
>>
>>120915438
Shirou is not Gary Stu, but he's a blatant author avatar. He knows what to do and when to do stuffs, like an extension of the author inside the story.
Clueless faggots often mix the terms up.
>>
>>120916912
>He knows what to do and when to do stuffs
I guess you're not counting the 40 dead ends?
>>
>>120916912
>but he's a blatant author avatar.
You sure?
This quote reminds me more of another character
>Nasu: We've mentioned this before, but we've talked about what would happen if 'the person you trusted betrayed you'. But if it's Takeuchi-san, I don't think he'd ever betray me.
>>
>>120916878
Most non-/a/ related literature is pure shit, so no thanks.
>>
>>120914804
Shirou is a bit of a mong, but he isn't that horrible if you read the vn.
>>
>>120916492
Not really? You deserve to get spoiled since you asked this on /a/ so here is everything you never wanted to know about Shirou Emiya.

First when the fire 10 years ago , lit courtesy of exassasin Kiritsugu Emiya. killed him said exassasin got a case of sore conscience and decided to see what would happen if you stuck a magical healing item inside a really very fresh corpse.
Shirou is the result, no longer able to really experience joy or sadness his been driven to emulate his old man in a futile attempt to regain his humanity. Becoming a hero, his convinced, will fix whats wrong with him and make up for whatever he did to deserve to be like this SO naturally he goes out of his way to save as many people as he can. However since he really doesn't understand people in general "save" is sort of a vague term for him. Jumping after a suicidal person whose jumped off a building counts- I mean if pulling someone out of the wreckage of everything they ever knew and loved does why wouldn't it?
He gets off on it, which is promising. His inital reaction to finding out there will be a war and a lot of people will be in danger is excitement at being able to do his thing.
His crazy is mostly under control at the start of the series mostly because his guardians have sat him down for long conversations about how people need their heaters fixed a lot more than they need him to sneak out in the middle of the night and find drunks to beat up and how a 12 year old doing that is really really bad for reasons that he didn't really quite understand but took to meaning that he needed to be of age before heading off into the nearest warzone to "save" them.
>>
>>120916804
>Few protagonist comes even close to being as good as Shirou.

Oh wow
>>
>>120916715
This.

Why are people even watching this if not for his ideal conflict. I mean, stay night IS about Shirou, not about Saber, not about Rin, not about Sakura. Is about how Shirou deals with them and the contrast with his ideal.
>>
>>120917087
This is all done super poorly in the VN, so he comes as a dumb, dense guy
>>
>>120914804
>Has an otherwise good show ever been ruined for you by a completely insufferable protag?
The answer to your question depends on the answer to the question whether an anime about your life already exist?
>>
File: detective_conan_9.jpg (69 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
detective_conan_9.jpg
69 KB, 800x600
>>
>>120916023
I still wonder why the FUCK they went an animated Fate in 2006... it could've been UBW, but no, it was the fucking shitty Fate route, where Shirou behaves like an idiot most of the time. Shirou only shines in UBW and HF, and we also have a better understanding of his conflict and ideal.

You can easily put all the Fate route elements into UBW and nobody will give a fuck. I bet ufo will mostly add Saber's ending from Fate at the end of UBW, with Bedivere and everything.
>>
>>120917339
You must have awful reading comprehension if you think this.
>>
>>120917456
Remember that Fate is the most liked route in Japan.
>>
>>120917515
Japan has shit taste as usual.
>>
>>120917515
Japan also love stuff like Kancolle and Love Live.
>>
>>120914804

Problem Children Are Coming from Another World

Not even Black Rabbit could save that one
>>
>>120917546
Always has, always will
>>
>>120917515
>muh Seiba
>>
>>120917339
It's super obvious whats going on provided you read the whole thing at once instead of giving up after the first route then coming back six months later to read the rest like some people appear to be doing.
>>
>>120917489
It´s all done super poorly because Nasu is a shitty writer. Look how mature F/Z is in comparison.
>>
File: 1381596247871.jpg (113 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1381596247871.jpg
113 KB, 625x626
>>120917628
>>
>>120917515
Which makes me wonder why they didn't adapt it instead of making up rushed anime original content
>>
>>120917489
As do a significant other number of people on /a/ that have read the VN.
>>
>>120916023
But he was right.
Saber has jobbed 90% of her fights. Bitch can't go through a single Holy Grail War without getting handicaped by Lancer at the beggining
Preventing her from fighting most of her battles is the best way of winning the HGW.
>>
>>120917653
F/Z is a better show than UBW too. Who would have guessed huh
>>
File: bait cia.jpg (40 KB, 680x683) Image search: [Google]
bait cia.jpg
40 KB, 680x683
>OP
>not big guy
>>
>>120917692
The problem was that DEEN tried to adapt Fate and tried to shoehorn in stuff from UBW and HF.
>>
Tate from Mai-Hime's not exactly the protagonist but in any other show, with his personality and dearth of charisma he'd be the MC.

I always imagined how much better anime would be, if they're so desperate for self-insert friendly characters, to just stick Shirou in a corner and have him to do color commentary and let the interesting players do stuff.

Then I watched Mai Hime and it didn't help at all.

Lord help me, every time Tate's on screen the show's momentum and energy comes to a grinding halt, and all the crap surrounding him is just emotionally exhausting. And the thing that kills me is that they're so desperate to have a love interest for the main character, they had a tall, dark and handsome, suave guy who just oozed charisma and they made him the false romantic lead.

>good show with insufferable protag

That's actually kind of hard to answer. If I don't like the main character and there's not a huge ensemble going on I just tend to drop the show.

Only thing from recent memory that comes to mind that fits the bill is Aldnoah Zero. Well, it was a serviceable show.
>>
>>120917704
Sasuga Shirou, master tactician.
>>
>>120917701
you're arguing as if /a/ sets a high bar for reading comprehension and isn't primarily frequented by teenagers
>>
Ichika
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.