[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /a/. /lit/ here; I'm curious as to whether there were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: Yukio_Mishima.jpg (35 KB, 500x421) Image search: [Google]
Yukio_Mishima.jpg
35 KB, 500x421
Sup /a/.

/lit/ here; I'm curious as to whether there were any anime/manga/anime films adapted from or otherwise influenced by pic related's works. To my (admittedly somewhat limited) knowledge of anime and manga, there haven't, which is puzzling to me since Mishima was such a prolific writer and prose stylist (he was a major figure in shaping modern Japanese literature) as well as controversial figure.

Also, for those who are familiar with him and his works, do you think that anime/manga adaptations of his books and plays would do them justice?
>>
I can't answer your question, but I'm sure Mishima himself would have dabbled into manga at some point if he had lived longer.
>>
>>120841719
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animated_Classics_of_Japanese_Literature
This was actually interesting. I shall look into it more.
>>
>he was nominated three times for the Nobel Prize in Literature
>and was poised to win the prize in 1968 but lost the award to his fellow countryman Yasunari Kawabata, presumably because of his radical right-wing activities
>his radical right-wing activities
>His avant-garde work displayed a blending of modern and traditional aesthetics that broke cultural boundaries, with a focus on sexuality, death, and political change.
>He is remembered for his ritual suicide by seppuku after a failed coup d'état attempt, known as the "Mishima Incident".
I thought writers are supposed to be docile people, holy shit /lit/ your idols are crazy
>>
File: 1416511938950.jpg (45 KB, 720x703) Image search: [Google]
1416511938950.jpg
45 KB, 720x703
>>120841719
>To my (admittedly somewhat limited) knowledge of anime and manga, there haven't, which is puzzling to me since Mishima was such a prolific writer and prose stylist (he was a major figure in shaping modern Japanese literature) as well as controversial figure.
Because an adaptation of any of his things wouldn't sell. It'd be amazing, yes, but let's face it, you only make money if you pander to otaku and can merchandise your series into figures otaku can unflinchingly hotglue. Save for Anno, I don't know of any director or animator capable of taking on the task.
>>
>>120842050
Yes he was a fascist madman later in life, but that doesn't change the fact that he wrote some amazing stuff. Confessions Of A Mask, for example. That shit puts oyasumi punpun to shame.
>>
>>120841719
>you will never go back in time and get him and Tezuka to work on a series of films and shorts
It hurts to live
>>
File: aoi_bungaku_02.jpg (320 KB, 796x1031) Image search: [Google]
aoi_bungaku_02.jpg
320 KB, 796x1031
I'd love for more /lit/ things to get adapted.
But that's not how the business rolls.
>>
>>120842206
>Confessions Of A Mask
>anime of an effeminate boy with powdered face and colorful drapes running around saying "I'm Tenkatsu" never
Why even live ;_;
>>
>>120842050
There you go. Your reason, OP.
>>
File: dune_sietch_by_lsgg-d3hyovy[1].jpg (89 KB, 1062x751) Image search: [Google]
dune_sietch_by_lsgg-d3hyovy[1].jpg
89 KB, 1062x751
What books would you want turned into an anime?

>implying pic related is possible
>>
>>120842603
I;ve been saying this for years
>>
>>120842603
The miniseries was alright.
>>
>>120842603
as awful awful of an idea as it sounds, and the fact that it really can't be adapted from text at all, Infinite Jest. Just to see what nippon would do with it/how they'd react to it. To my knowledge, IJ isn't translated into Japanese (yet), and that's really not surprising.
>>
>>120841719
This nigga is metal as fuck
>>
>>120842603
The Martian Chronicles directed by Hiroshi Nagahama.
>>
>>120842206
>fascist madman
Simplify much?
>>
>>120841719
Kill yourself.
>>
>>120842952
>not saying "commit seppuku, preferably after commandeering a military building" instead
Come on, at least try to keep with the theme of this thread.
>>
>>120842996
>seppuku
>not chess
>>
>>120841719
Koji Kumeta's everything.

Everything Kumeta does is like a tragicomic version of Mishima's legacy.

Watch some Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
>>
the sound of waves shows up in sayonara zetsubou sensei. it's embarrassing to admit, but i've read all of mishima's works and it's only because i saw it in an anime.
>>
>>120842941

Not him, but the guy wanted to bring back imperial japan. Calling him a facist ist kinda accurate.

That being said, some believe he intentionally did it so that he could have justification for taking his own life.
>>
>>120842668
No adaptation of Infinite Jest would ever come close to doing it justice, but in the right hands it would at least be interesting.
More realistically, I could see James Incandenza's movies being animated, since some of them could at least be realistically adapted. The Cage III - Free Show immediately came to mind.
>>
>>120842603
Any of Ryu Murakami's works by Madhouse.
Or Accelerando/Glasshouse by Sunrise Studio 8.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.