[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there no anime stoner/drug comedies when it's a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8
File: animeston.jpg (22 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
animeston.jpg
22 KB, 500x499
Why are there no anime stoner/drug comedies when it's a pretty popular genre in the west?

I thought maybe people in Japan didn't do drugs, but over there was a very blatant big weed culture and I learned Psychedelic Mushrooms were perfectly legal and sold in stores until very recently.

So why no stoner comedies?
>>
Kids over there a good. Not like the druggies in the west.
>>
>>120809208
Weed is worse than murder in japan.
>>
Drugs other than alcohol are massive taboo in Asia
>>
>>120809337
what about opiates?
>>
File: 1384833061751.jpg (29 KB, 450x330) Image search: [Google]
1384833061751.jpg
29 KB, 450x330
>>120809208
Only time I ever saw weed in anime was Cowboy Bebop in that lawless space station. So it isn't completely absent
>>
No one cares.
>>
File: weed kills.jpg (140 KB, 958x1075) Image search: [Google]
weed kills.jpg
140 KB, 958x1075
>>
File: 1422959733655.png (1006 KB, 1387x2000) Image search: [Google]
1422959733655.png
1006 KB, 1387x2000
>Little girls get baked and go on psychedelic drugged out adventures

FUND IT

Drug references in anime I've picked out:

Cowboy Bebop had an episode on magic mushrooms.

There are some in Samurai Champloo I can't remember precisely what they were.

Psycho Pass they mention "Therapeutic tripping" is now what people do instead of drinking.
>>
>>120809363

Asia had a fucking war over opiates. They're not doing it again.

>>120809419

That wasn't actually weed he used.
>>
>>120809419
Shit subs, not actually what he said
>>
I remember really trippy shit happened in that previous manga by the Mysterious Girlfriend X author, stuff that you would feel/see due to taking psychotropic drugs.

Coincidentally, he wrote it around the same time Japan decided to outlaw hallucinogens.
>>
>>120809208
>Why are there no anime stoner/drug comedies
0/10
>>
File: Dv6Rqy3.jpg (408 KB, 800x1617) Image search: [Google]
Dv6Rqy3.jpg
408 KB, 800x1617
>>120809208
There is one "Stoner Comedy" and it's Welcome to the NHK.

Too bad the animated series doesn't show the drug use age though.
>>
>>120809622

Huh, I only read the novel so I didn't know the manga left in his drug abuse.

I don't look down on a person for using drugs in of itself, but Satou was a fucking addict man. He needed help.
>>
Drugs are pretty fucking illegal in Japan. I mean like REALLY fucking illegal.
>>
>>120809208

They do chemical drugs, fgt.
>>
Whats the point of stoner comedies when you can have moe comedies? It's not like stoners wouldn't enjoy them.
>>
I remember seeing a few characters in Dowman's stuff use drugs. Those lesbians in Voynich Hotel come to mind.
>>
>>120809801

But what about a comedy with stoned lolis?

I mean besides Agiri in Kill Me Baby.
>>
Might just be me looking into it too much, but I'm pretty sure Mushishi has some pretty thinly veiled tripping references. (the episode where the Sake maker drinks the golden Sake at the end of the episode instantly springs to mind as very similar to my first psychedelic trip)

Though Mushishi is a pretty surreal and psychedelic show to begin with.
>>
>>120809470
I can't believe this doujin didn't turn into some disgusting mindbreak prostitution shit.
>>
>>120809838
>Kill Me Baby.
Why flop twice?
>>
>>120809801
The point of stoner comedies is that losers high on weed laugh at anything, so they can throw together a bunch of unfunny trash and still call it a comedy.
>>
>Japan
>drugs
>>
>>120809208
>when it's a pretty popular genre in the west?
There's your problem.

Japs don't care about the west when it comes to their animus.
>>
>>120809622
Man, I miss snorting drugs. Those days were fun.
>>
>>120809898
I wish weed made me laugh. It just makes me forget about my self-hatred
>>
>This much of a degenerate scum
>>
>>120809898
>The point of stoner comedies is that losers high on weed laugh at anything
Are you implying that a sober person cannot enjoy a stoner comedy?
>>
>>120809964
>>120809622
>Snorting 2C research chemicals

Jesus christ. I love 2CB, but I would never ever snort the shit.
>>
>>120809363
Meth is actually the most widely used drug. It's sort of tolerated because you can work hard as fuck on it, staying up for 2 days straight.
>>
I enjoy my animes while high so they dont have to do drugs!
>>
>>120809208
Japan's drug laws are actually hundreds of years old and the majority of them passed in reaction to Japan seeing how the Europeans pumped China full of opium.

So you can blame the Europeans for why Japan and the majority of Asia have no drug culture.
>>
>>120809964

I feel ya.
>>
>>120810069
I know Americas methheads are far from productive. May be considered the worst drug here
>>
>>120809208
why should japan cater to you western faggots who do nothing but stream their content?
>>
>>120809964
I got 'coke' once that was actually bath salts, I don't know what it was, maybe mephedrone. It burned the fucking worst out of anything I've ever put up my nose, brought tears to my eyes. That was like the second time I ever got coke in my life though, so I didn't know what I was doing.
>>
>>120810135
I guess it depends what they're doing. If you work doing manual labor, in the oil fields, or do something physically taxing every day, it could help you work harder. Obviously that's not the main goal though, it's just a side benefit, the main goal is to get fucked up.
>>
>>120809208
I would assume it's Government censorship more than anything.

Nobody who has been to Shibuya can say Japan doesn't have a massive drug culture. The place is literally xX420 BLAZE ITXx tye die central.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imKBoZ1LsMg

They have Psytrance parties in Yoyogi park ffs.
>>
>>120809208
because like people have pointed out, drugs (especially marijuana) are incredulously illegal in Japan.

First offense for possession of marijuana, even a single fleck the size of a pinhead you're looking at 10 year's jail and $100,000 fine. If you're foreign you have to serve out the time in their only prison fit for foreigners which is a Maximum Security prison. After which you're deported back to your home country and banned from Japan for life.

Japanese prisons are fucked up too by the way. I'd sooner go to a prison in detroit than one in Japan.

The ironic thing is though that Japanese were actually a stoner culture up until the 2nd World War. Many temples still use legal variants in their ceremonies in incense and the kanji for weed turns up in family names occasionally.

Naturally the US kicked their asses in the pacific war and forced them to change their laws. Japanese are too goody-goody (like >>120809249 points out) to go back. The Japanese media usually blatantly ignores the legalisation of weed in the US and other countries and people generally consider it "he injected 3 whole marijuanas and died" level of evil.

Japanese are pretty easy to brainwash. They are raised in such a good, safe society that they literally find the idea of governments or people lying about things preposterous. To give you an idea, I'm a teacher and while kids were working on stuff in class I was flicking through their PE Textbook and stumbled upon the drugs page. Next to Marijuana was written "worst drug of them all" and a massive list of side effects that the drug simply doesn't do. Not to mention they list it as being more addictive than heroin.

At best you'll find 1 or 2 doujins and I think that NHK series is about the only one, apart from Bebop that dabbles with un-named drugs as a side thing occasionally.

tl;dr Weed is super bad in Japan and they'll never legalise it. As such there's fuck all anime/manga/doujin about it.
>>
I wish I could single-handedly murder all of the /v/ crossboarders. I really do.
>>
>>120809470
>get high on weed
>is suddenly horny and down to fuck

If they said that she was down to fuck because she felt less inhibitions against saying no, then sure, I'd believe it, but I've never seen it make a girl actively horny.

>>120810043

I never said I snorted that. I used to do coke, and not cheap coke either. It's why I don't do it anymore, too expensive a habit..
>>
>>120809622

Which chapter is that?
>>
>>120809898
>>120810032
He clearly hasn't smoked before
>>
>>120810180
Getting fucked up is always the goal
>>
>there will never be Breaking Bad like anime

Why live?
>>
you'll cowards don't even animate crack
>>
>>120810206
I miss doing coke, but I'm in New England, so it's not a great area for coke. Good coke usually runs $100 a g here, but if you're down in FL or TX or somewhere like that, you can get a ball for $150.

Some of my fondest memories involve laying out fat lines of coke and h/oxy, then putting one of each up both nostrils. I spent obscene amounts of money though, makes me wanna throw up now when I think about how much money I wasted.
>>
>>120810198
A tiny island nation with no natural resources didn't become the world's third largest economy by letting its people waste away their lives and brains on weed.
>>
>>120810346
>$100 a g

That's a fucking rip-off.
>>
>Get baked.
>Can notice all my aches in my body more
>Start to focus on my breathing and have to manually breath.

I wish weed didn't make me an anxious trainwreck these days, back when I used to do it more often, it was the shit.

Also
>Fapping on Weed
once you've tasted perfection, nothing tastes the same.
>>
>>120810269
a Japanese "Breaking Bad" would be boring. It'd be like comparing Game of Thrones to Gunshi Kambee

>>120810367
large economy does not a rich, prosperous and happy nation make.
>>
>>120810411
Exactly, that's why it makes me sick thinking about how much I spent. Granted it was great coke, but $100 a g is insane. I've shot it a handful of times and it's hands down the most intense feeling I've ever experienced. The first time you do it, you feel like you're about to die for the first couple seconds, then you feel like a god for about 2 minutes. Fucking insanity, not for the faint of heart.
>>
>>120810418
>Fapping on Weed

Try sex on speed/coke/ecstasy. Then you know what perfection is.
>>
>>120809208
NieA_7 had some drug humor.

Pity the show just wasn't that funny.
>>
>>120810497
>trying to jack off for 4 hours straight on amps/coke

why the fuck would you do this
>>
>>120810497
Oh yeah, MDMA fapping is my absolute favourite.

A good way to have a great MDMA roll is to fap during the initial come on. Once you cum the roll becomes so much better and you get so much energy.
>>
>>120810497

Coke makes it a lot harder to get an erection.

But once you achieve one HOLY SHIT. Best sex you could possibly have.
>>
Killing is also illegal in Japan.

the point is drugs is not cool over there. so it's not cool to talk about drug use. so no fan base to hype a show like that
>>
>>120810497
Oh ecstasy, my old friend. The drug that can either feel like being in the warm embrace of god....or in a cave filled with billions of spiders.
>>
>>120810694
Sure you were on MDMA?

The only "bad" rolls I had on MDMA is where I got really fucking extreme swings in the rushes of energy and feeling and then it would crash, then it would rush, then it would crash, then it would rush, then it would crash.

It's happened twice and it's really fucking awful.
>>
>>120809208
I feel like k-On! is weed-inspired, especially given that the characters were all named after P-Model members.
>>
>>120810830

I don't know man, maybe it was laced with something. I was young and stupid back then. I used to do a lot of different kinds of drugs.

I've been clean since I was 25....not by choice mind you, it just got too expensive to maintain.
>>
>>120810886
Fun fact, I thought K-On was going to be about like a band that gets created and they go through similar shit that the beatles go through, so drugs, sex, rock'n'roll.

Nope.
>>
>>120810830

I had some bad trips on MDMA, though it was mostly throwing up a lot.
>>
I wish I still had people to get high with. It's not as fun on your own.
>>
>>120811376
I'm the complete opposite. I can't smoke with other people because I get and feel really awkward.
>>
>>120811581

I knew people that you could feel really relaxed and safe around when doing it, so my situation was I suppose different from most.
>>
>>120809208
>>120809941

Fucking this.

Plus there's Legal Drug by Clamp. That's as close as you are going to get.

Also stoner comedy is stupid.
>>
>>120811647
For me I always am just embarrassed the next day at how baked and silly I was in front of them. I'm downright goofy when I'm around people but when I'm on my own I'm the most chill and relaxed I get. That's why I prefer to smoke alone and only a little bit at a time. My goal is mostly to be okay with being in my head, not get out of my head.
>>
>>120809976
Oddly enough, I decided to stop smoking because I started constantly thinking about how much I hated myself when I was high.
>>
>>120811853
That's why I can't watch SoL when I smoke. I'd rather listen to music or fap.
>>
>>120811853
That's what happens when I take acid
>>
>>120811912
God damn, I do miss fapping when high. Nothing like a good toke n stroke.
>>
>>120810367
No, they did it by creating such a toxic work culture that everyone wants to kill themselves. Those niggas probably need some weed.
>>
>>120810367
No, it did it by being fed millions of dollars from the world's largest economy and getting lucky with a tech breakthrough that was subsidized by their aforementioned sugardaddy.

It's no coincidence that the only states in the asian sector that matter at all are all fed a steady supply of money from the US. That entire hemisphere's economy runs on the US dollar.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.