[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Translation Wars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: 10389410.jpg (108 KB, 626x720) Image search: [Google]
10389410.jpg
108 KB, 626x720
Did you guys know the war between a self-proclaimed profession translator and amateur translator just start recently?
What side /a/ take in this war?
>>
I hate TLs. Especially those that bitch and whine. Might as well learn Espanol and watch Spanish subbed h scenes on redtube. At least then, I won't know who the fuck did it. At least I can huehue at bad lines.
>>
>>120761803
unlimitednovelfailures 's post
It saddens me that any Tom, Dick or Harry can call himself a “translator” these days just because he can copy&paste the Japanese text into a machine translator. The resulting so-called “translation” reads as if an autistic 5 years-old wrote it. 95% of them don’t even know proper English, let alone Japanese (Btw, the remaining 5% at least went through the effort of learning hiragana, but still don’t know jack about grammar), so they already fail at the two important elements a translator should have: Good grasp of the (1)original and (2)target language.
In that sense, I too disqualify as a translator for the English language, since I don’t have an accurate grasp of it. But at least I went through a proper translator education at university, albeit in my native tongue German.
Anyway, I don’t know if they have been revised yet, but the earlier “translations” I read of Mushoku Tensei were so cringe-worthy that I was about to smash my head into the wall. That is no longer entertainment, just a tedious task to encode the possible meaning in every sentence.
And as if the piece of garbage they produce isn’t bad enough already, they shit out scripts on a nearly daily basis without even realizing what harm they do. The readers get spoiled with a shower of releases, thinking that translating mustn’t be that hard after all when they release so quickly
1/3
>>
>>120762255
Yet here I am, struggling for weeks over a single chapter, sometimes a whole day over a single page, to hopefully convey the fucking nuances correctly in English, only to find myself reading “NEXT CHAPTER WHEN” comments the day after I finally release it-.-
Everyone is free to do whatever he wants, but this wasted “effort” of theirs is simply idiotic. It by no means does the novels justice, nor is it in any way entertaining to read, yet people jump at it like money on the street. Why? Because their impatience has blinded their rational thinking.
I can understand that you’re eager to read the next chapter, but to fall so low as to read this cobbled-together junk? I’m disappointed. That has no longer anything to do with love/interest for the series, just greed.
So far, I haven’t come across even a single “translation” from these wanna-be “translator” that I would deem at least “okay”. All the scripts were clustered with mistranslations and incorrect English that even someone, who doesn’t know any English or Japanese, could tell its wrong. Some might be average at best with heavy editing, preventing me from immediately gauging out my eyes.
Of course, not all of you are such greedy leechers, but when you do not comment, you will always stay a minority. So go up to your favorite scanlator’s site and give them a hug!
2/3
>>
>>120762299
While we’re on the topic, there’s also this bunch of Chinese translators. Translating from a translation is always wrong. Always. But seeing as these guys actually know the language they translate from and the result is 10x better than what any machine translation could ever hope to achieve, I’ll compromise on this. It IS a fact the the community lacks translators.
I know that nothing will change from writing this, but I just needed to blow off some steam. Forgive me.
Now for the actual release itself. lol.
My dice seems to be rigged as it always landed on Risou, no matter how often I rerolled-.-
But it was a pretty kewl chapter, not so fucking technical like in the beginning, which is a good sign! Though it seems to get rather political now. But I don’t mind for now.
Next chapter is over 70 pages long again, so it’ll take a bit longer. You know the drill, patience and all that.
Also, TsukiTsuki is supposed to be my main project, yet all the comments it gets are about Risou :( I’m glad you guys like Risou that much, but it’s a complicated feeling for me :P
Special thanks to Ives, who helped me with the Spanish in this chapter!!
Either way, it’s always a good motivation push when I see a lot of comments, thanks! Keep it up.
Enjoy~
3/3
>>
>>120761803
Whoa, what happened?
>>
>>120763626
go to yoraikun.wordpress.com to know more
>>
>unlimitednovelfailures
>Posted by PROzess

Oh look, seems like a certain drama queen is up to his old antics again. Why am I not surprised?
>>
>>120762345
Is this prozess?
>>
>>120761803
because of those "profession translator" we got so many dropped project
they are jealous about other popular and want to monopoly that project for their own
>>
>>120763982
Yes
Did he got some history with /a/?
>>
>>120764108
Nah, he's just well known for being an insufferable drama queen, nothing new.
>>
>>120761803
Two cents:
I hate amateur translators who lack experience in the language and still have the guts to hold off translations up to two chapters a fucking year. Yes, I'm talking about Guhehe and a majority of translation groups that isn't js06.
On the other hand, I hate professional translations that suck the life out of the original work and bring the series license to their graves as soon as they find the series "unprofitable", just like Viz in Shakugan no Shana.
>>
>>120764311
Hobbyists do it 'cause they enjoy it. Professionals do it 'cause they're paid. Pretty stark difference right there, also easily explains why people tend to dislike the "professional" work. I'll be damned if i need to watch any HorribleSubs release because no one can be arsed to atleast typeset it
>>
>>120762255
>>120762299
>>120762345
kill yourself

>>120763713
>advertising
>>
>>120764545
>Hobbyists do it 'cause they enjoy it.
Except the ones that do it for e-peen or the ones that do it for donations.
>>
>>120764666
Jesus fucking himself, why would they spam it like that?!
Tell me Satan! Why?!
>>
>>120764311
same here
through this case is more like old-dog translator (PROzess, krytyk) discourage the newbie translator (Yoraikun) just because of his method in translation make he become everyone 's hero
>>
>>120764666
As a translator, I'm disgusted by this.
>>
>>120764666
I've honestly no idea how either of those work. What kind of e-peen you get by translating shit?
>>
>>120764754
Basically they wanted people to download shit from their site so that they could get money from donations and whatnot, so they added one of those cool rules where they ask online readers not to host their translations for a certain time. Obviously mangafox and company don't give a flying fuck, so they pulled that shit.
>>
>>120764806
Was it really Google Translate-tier, with severe grammar errors and whatnot?
>>
>>120762255
>>120762299
>>120762345

>translating from a translation is always wrong
>i'll compromise

I'm glad I have his approval for translating Overlord. Does he think that publications of the same novel in different languages don't measure up to his work?
>>
>>120764823
>What kind of e-peen you get by translating shit?
Maybe that wasn't the best way of putting it, but i can't think of a better expression.
Tell me, why would anyone translate/work on something that they clearly don't care about?
http://imgur.com/a/ajFdc
>>
>>120764875
I read all the three name and Yoraikun 's work totaly readable, maybe it still contain some grammar errors but definitely much better than copy the raw and paste into Google Translate
>>
>>120765118
At least he's honest about it
>>
File: 1419485570215.png (19 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
1419485570215.png
19 KB, 245x245
>>120765118

>meow meow meow, i regret everything

I lost it on this one.
>>
>>120765197
It's an insult then. Christ, in this world where translations are scarce and raws even more so, I can't be some kind of faggot beggar. This kind of drama does kill translation work.
>>
>>120765260
The problem is that there are still people who listen to prozess's bullshit instead of flat out ignoring him.
It's like replying to a troll, you're only fueling the flames.
>>
>>120765118
Either i somehow manage to miss commie's trollsubs or people are bullshitting with this... Should just learn jap and watch raws, suppose. Assuming i could get arsed to do it and wasn't baltic
>>
>>120765093
Thank you for that btw. skeletonbro is awesome. Was worried when sky said he was backing out of the translation.
>>
>>120764875
its heavily edited MT.
the computer handles all the simple stuff that MT is capable of doing properly
and then they fix all the errors and rewrite it into better english where necessary.

its not bad at all if its done properly.
>>
Were MT translations really that bad? True, that vol 18-19 are awful with their machine tl but after that vol 20-21-22 that were tled by slow, verse, kaezar and imageless were quite good. Even though they used machines they were still able to deliver quite well.
>>
>>120765596
A machine translation is still a machine translation, edited or not. Context, various nuances and puns are completely obliterated by going that route
>>
>>120765732
And that's probably where the experience comes along. I'm sure that even those with some experience in Japanese won't get local idioms and shit like that.
>>
>>120765936
Can you picture MT'd Monogatari? That would be amusing
>>
>>120766301
>actual Mushoku Tensei translator reporting in.

I want to say first off, that even a babby can translate this fucking novel. So saying this shit has all these "nuances" is retarded.
Literally the hardest thing is the occasional reference that is like "The armor feels like I'm piloting a GunXXm" if you're enough of an anime faggot, you know what the fuck a Gundam is, and can fill in the blank no prob.
That's it.

I've looked at Overlord, and Risou, even Shieldbro. Those have actual paragraphs of text and shit that require a person to understand sentence structures, and the rules of grammar between such vastly different language constructs. Google Translate will not do it, and neither will Translate Aggregator even if you do understand the context of the sentences without knowing the grammatical syntax.

Amerifags are already excused since they don't even learn how to read and write their own language in public school anymore anyway, and cannot possibly ever translate anime or novels for the benefit of the online community.
>>
hope this won't affect some translator using MT i followed like turtle (Ark MT), skythewood (Overlord, Knight's and Magic,.. from CHI-ENG),.. and some amateur groups like re:Translation,..
>>
>Siding with PROzess or krytik or however the autism guy is written
Egocentric shitheads, they works are shit.
>>
>>120767399
>re:translations
Literally tumblr tier, they pick up projects when they get popular and then drop it when hot stuff come out, they are incredibly autistic and they put dumb fanfictions in the chapters.
God sake, it hurts to read TnS.
>>
I don't really give a shit about fan translators, but holy shit, these guys actually collect donations, and get pissed when they don't get enough attention?
>>
>>120767633
yeah, but when they gone who the fucking do the translation? you?
i leecher myself so can't do anything about it
maybe when those project got more attention someone might pick it up, i hope
>>
>>120767841
I wish enough anons knew Japanese so that we could get translations right here instead of having to rely on high school cliques.
>>
Prozess is a competent translator, but highly autistic (I'm not kidding, I bet he has some kind of disability).
>>
>tfw Teppu is being held hostage for shekels or no translations
>>
>>120768006
>I wish enough anons knew Japanese so that we could get translations right here instead of having to rely on high school cliques.
the problem is most /a/nons lack ambition. they learn enough japanese to sound like they have a fucking clue and then that's it.

when your understanding is limited to oishii, kawaii, onii-chan you "don't" understand japanese, you "can't" read a light novel, and your claims that you watch the episode "raw" ring really hollow (of course /a/ is filled with sacks of flesh like this)

If everyone spoke Japanese here that claimed they did there would be no shortage of quality translators.
>>
>>120769139
(cont)

of course I shouldn't talk down about the sacks of flesh around here. I leach off of translator /a/nons like the rest of the filth around here. And i actually know enough Japanese to read the original with a little Google translate help with a hard kanji or two.

It's just reading Japanese sucks and is hard so i leach instead. If i didn't work i'd probably pitch in with translating something for the community but not gonna happen.
>>
>>120761803
>What side /a/ take in this war?
The cheapest with best quality.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.