[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you make an anime dark without stepping into grimdark
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: 0030.jpg (880 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
0030.jpg
880 KB, 1920x1080
How do you make an anime dark without stepping into grimdark territory?
>>
>>120641809
Try Haibane Renmei. The master of being dark without being edgy grimderp trash.
>>
make the mc a nigger
>>
File: 1412222046498.jpg (47 KB, 542x467) Image search: [Google]
1412222046498.jpg
47 KB, 542x467
>>120641809
>your pic
>dark
>>
>>120641809
What does that even mean?
>>
>>120641809
Im not sure if this counts but From the New World was pretty dark but never actually dwelled much on the dark parts. It is really god damn grim if you actually think about what some of the things happened off screen. Of course the off screen stuff involves rape, genocide, mind control, racism, torture and so forth so it might be stepping into the grimdark territory while only subtly hinting it happened.
>>
>>120642116
>racism
>dark
>>
>>120642142
Molerat men have human rights too you piece of shit
>>
>>120641809
How would you even define "grimdark"? Something that is excessively grim?

The simply don't go overboard with the dark and edginess. Whatever "overboard" is from your perspective.
>>
Focus more on the story-line than on the characters' reactions to unfortunate circumstances

Avoid soliloquies at all cost
>>
>>120641825
This.
>>
The way I see it grimdark is when you remove anything positive, doesn't matter how dark you go as long as darkness isn't all there is.
>>
>>120641809
Lower the Contrast
>>
>>120642249

Grimdark is basically when the entire world is fucked, the MC can't do shit, and dark themes are thrown about for no reason other than to make the entire world a barren wasteland where the average citizen is fucked with nothing that they can do to change it.

A good example of this is the WH40K universe, where everything is dark and edgy and the universe is slatted to die to one of dozens of doomsday scenarios.
>>
>>120641809
put stuff in that's good for the story, and focus on the characters dealing with it
don't focus on the dark parts exclusively
don't put stuff in just to make the show "dark", "serious" or whatever, it just ends up being edgy
>>
File: erin.jpg (36 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
erin.jpg
36 KB, 480x270
>>120641809

You make an anime for children.
>>
First you start by not killing the main cast unless 100% necessary.
Not for shock value, not because you want them dead, have their death have some value.
2nd, no extreme Controversial subjects such as Abortion or Rape, these detract from the overall subject matter of the story and start up arguments about 'IS X RIGHT OR NOT!?'
3rd. Do not do anything to children. Children do nothing wrong, they barely know anything about the cruel harshness of the world and see things more purely. No that one kid crying at the supermarket is not indicative of kids as a whole, it's indicative that Baby Boomers and Baby Boomer kids are shit at parenting.
4th, You can have bittersweet or bad endings, but never KEEP using it, you need to throw in some nice things to balance it out otherwise people are just going to feel depressed because they're reminded of how shit real life is. If your series reminds people how bad real life is than it failed
5th. Do Not do any the Above with a Clown, it does not make it funny, it makes it retarded and draws retards into defending the above things.
>>
>>120642500
Well I can't think of many anime\manga that would fit the bill.
Attack on Titan
Muv Luv Alternative (not an anime but well, Total Eclipse doesn't really make you feel how desperate the situation is).
Saikano
Narutaru
Bokurano (the manga only)
Blame!

Do anime that seem completely desperate but then everything, or almost, is solved with a positive note?

Also isn't Texhnolyze usually highly praised by /a/? But everything is pretty much completely fucked up there.
>>
>>120642728
>being a clown apologist in this day and age
>>
>>120641809
I found Eureka 7 to be pretty dark despite being a kids show
>>
>>120642847
I'm not a clown apologist.
I'm saying Champ is retarded and the AgK fanbase is retarded for thinking child rape is okay because a clown did it.
>>
>>120642728
I bet you think Maria is grimdark because of soldiers raping villager wenches
>>
>>120642921
Oh I thought you were saying throwing clowns out of an airlock wasnt a good thing, carry on.
>>
>>120642921
>AgK fanbase is retarded for thinking child rape is okay because a clown did it
They defended it?
I found it hilarious that there were 4 chapters of showing off how edgy the new batch of enemies were.
>1st appearance has them tear apart the soldiers in an arena to test their powers
>2nd appearance has them murder and rape an acting troupe
>3rd appearance has them rape and murder bunch of monks protecting people
>4th has the leader of said group and the clown rape and murder the wife and daughter of a previous villain on top of said villains grave
>>
Don't try to fake-out the audience, like having something grim contradict its setting (OP's pic).
>>
>>120642921
>>120642921
>AgK fanbase is retarded for thinking child rape is okay because a clown did it.
what?
>>
>>120641809

By shitting on the characters but having them over come and move on with their sadness, instead of wallowing in it.
>>
>>120641809
You don't. Every time something dark is made, the massive retards that make up the majority of any given audience will declare it perfect because of its darkness, which will result in people who come into it declaring it to be crappy grimdark as consequence of hypebacklash.

Your pic is a wonderful example of this.
>>
>>120643084
What series is this?
>>
>>120643640
Akame ga Kill
>>
>>120642500
To be fair, 40K is literally a fucking joke.
>>
File: IMG_20150131_102413.jpg (232 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150131_102413.jpg
232 KB, 1920x1080
>>120641809
You just mess with the settings a bit.
>>
>>120642500
You just described Cyberpunk.
Cyberpunk is not grimdark.

Grimdark in general is a form of presentation, not a certain setup.
>>
nothing will stop anime fans from perceiving anything that is slightly darker and bleaker in tone as "grimdark shit"
>>
>>120642841

To be honest, Attack on titan would've been more watchable if it didn't have protagonists who could turn into titans.

Humans vs. Titans would've made each victory a lot more meaningful rather than having the MC turn into a titan and wreck people's shit.
>>
>dark
>grimdark
>buzzwords
Great way to start a thread!
>>
>>120643832
kek
>>
>>120643640
>mod seriously defend this type retardation
>>
>>120642500
A story can have a setting exactly like that and not be the slightest bit grimdark, it all depends on the tone. Many works of fiction take place in fucked up, apocalyptic scenarios thick with death but are presented in a more minimalistic fashion that doesn't try to shove it down your throat. Some are even outright comedy that play the bleak setting for laughs. It's all in the presentation.
>>
File: rape is never funny, you say.jpg (172 KB, 1238x416) Image search: [Google]
rape is never funny, you say.jpg
172 KB, 1238x416
>>120642728
I was with you up until 3, then you just turned into a faggot. Your list of things that constitute grimdark is oddly specific and arbitrary, and kids are not magically impervious to everything. I'm not saying they should be raped left and right, but if it makes sense for a child to die or suffer in the story then it shouldn't be purposely avoided just because "muh children". Also fuck you, clowns are great.
>>
>>120642500
>Grimdark is basically when the entire world is fucked, the MC can't do shit, and dark themes are thrown about for no reason other than to make the entire world a barren wasteland where the average citizen is fucked with nothing that they can do to change it.
Jintai is pretty much that.
Humans are fucked, they'll all die.
The protagonist can't do a thing and neither can anyone else.
But it's still jolly, bright, happy and insanely silly.
All humans, except for one, are dead too
>>
>>120644892
>Jintai
It's called Jinrui, you uncultured swine.
>>
>>120645660
>JINrui wa SuiTAI Shimashita.
It's Jintai, you pleb
>>
>>120645779
Wow, nice objectively correct contraction, fgt.
>>
Why are you against grimdarkness? Embrace the horror of the world.
>>
>>120646007
Stop being chuuni.
>>
>>120644892
Isn't that because it's not about the humans? (having not seen it) I read a short story about a Von Neuman-ing mining robot taking over a base from the humanoids controlling, but it was a 'happy' story because it was from the PoV of the robots. It's all about perspective. If the situation is literally hopeless from the perspective of the protaganists, often along with character deaths at a high rate making characters meaningless (you close off and avoid getting attached when you know their all gonna die), and constant failures, you've reached grimdark.
>>
>>120646031
You mean Chuu Nin? I saw the exam. EDGEDGEDGE
>>
>>120646191
It's not any better from any other perspective.
>>
Do you guys think different boards have more or less tolerance for grimdark in their hobbies?
>>
>>120641809
Make it so that the settings are always at night.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.