[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that in anime, or maybe it's Japanese culture,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 65
File: 1420103965901.png (1 MB, 1921x1077) Image search: [Google]
1420103965901.png
1 MB, 1921x1077
Why is it that in anime, or maybe it's Japanese culture, do they put so much emphasis on talent? Almost everything is based on it, people flat out say they can't do something because they lack the talent (or it's because that guy isn't a "genius"). It sounds like such a shitty excuse not to do something.

Do they really think like this? Or is it just their cartoons?
>>
Everyone does this.
>>
Is it not just reality?
>>
This trope exists in literally every piece of media western and nip
>>
File: 1410532348659.jpg (836 KB, 1280x3600) Image search: [Google]
1410532348659.jpg
836 KB, 1280x3600
Because it's true.
>>
But talent is a real thing. Some people are better suited for some things than others.
With hard work and training anybody could become good at violin, but not everybody could become world class players.
>>
>>120526102
If anything that goes against talent, if I remember right didn't Smile quit? Therefore his talent is meaningless.
>>
Japanese people are realists. They understand that if you're not a genius, you should just quit.

Fact of life.
>>
File: 1422398434698.jpg (133 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1422398434698.jpg
133 KB, 1200x900
>>120525513

But it's always a reoccurring in Japanese media. So much so it's annoying.
>>
Reminder that anime is not an accurate portrayal of real life in Japan or otherwise.
>>
>>120525017

Source on those tits, OP.
>>
>>120526542
Consider suicide
>>
>>120526365
No he didn't.
>>
File: 1380328887406.gif (1 MB, 400x378) Image search: [Google]
1380328887406.gif
1 MB, 400x378
>>120525017
I agree that Japan is a bit on the extreme end of biological determinism. However, I'd say that the west - especially the US - are on the other extreme.

In the US a very liberal (classical liberal) ideology is present, that man is essentially capable of doing pretty much anything if one only puts enough effort into it. While this is a positive outlook, and it especially was so when classical liberalism was born - mostly in opposition to the rather feudal societies that still were in place in Europe - stating that a person's birth wouldn't decide ones faith.

Nowadays, it turns out that this ideology can rather fast become a negative one because that people can do just anything isn't factually true. In the past, menial work and craftsmanship was more present while nowadays the way to a modicum of wealth and decent life leads through the doors of academia. Not everyone possesses the ability to educate himself though. Telling these people that with perseverance and effort they could succeed is a lie. Liberal (by American standards this is more often to be found in conservative circles though, since liberalism in the US seems to be equated with leftism) ideology doesn't want to realise this, and the once positive outlook on life becomes a negative one because it blames those who don't succeed for their failure, attributing it to a lack of effort and character rather than what it really is: a lack of ability.
>>
>>120526707
Are you saying its not my fault I'm a complete loser that has done nothing impressive with my life?
>>
>>120526909
Maybe. But the consequence would be that you were essentially born to be a loser. It depends on which you prefer. I would guess in the case of /a/ it's more about a lack of social skills or outright psychological issues that keep them from succeeding rather than a general lack of intelligence.

The issue is: if you look at lower class people you will notice that most of them are simply lacking in intelligence. With no education in the world you could turn them into engineers, lawyers, medical doctors, etc. - to blame them for their poverty, claiming they didn't study enough or something means to blame them for being stupid.
>>
>>120525017
I'm more pissed with their fixation on bloodline. Oh, X is the son of Y, he must be a special snowflake with broken abilities!
>>
>>120525017
anyone who believes in hardwork>talent or hardwork=talent doesn't work as a writer for anime or manga. Because the scifi book I was following is clearly all about hardwork and diligence is better than talent alone
>>
>>120526542
Dangit Ronpaul
>>
>>120527057
That's true, though. People with talent can do amazing things that leave others stumped even if they barely put in the effort. True, somebody with talent who put no effort into doing something is likely to lose against somebody who worked hard, but if that talented person applies effort they will ALWAYS come out on top and the hard worker will never be able to reach their level.

I honestly despise the liberal dogma that pervades the west.
>>
File: cyc11111111.jpg (192 KB, 640x300) Image search: [Google]
cyc11111111.jpg
192 KB, 640x300
Because that's the fucking reality of things.
All this "believe and you can do it" garbage is nothing but a pipe dream losers tell themselves and winners are paid to parrot in order to sell a product.
I'll use /fit/'s hardest pill to swallow.
The man who holds the world record powerlifting total and the highest squat ever is a 24 year old who started lifting only 7 years ago.
He is white, does not use illegal substances and he leads a perfectly normal life working as an engineer in the family business.
He does weightlifting as a hobby. He did not lift from child, he did not sacrifice a normal life and financial stability for his achievement.
His very existence runs counter to the general attitudes in lifting circles. How did he surpass the blood, sweat and suffering of countless men before him? Talent, he is a genetical freak with very thick bones, tendons and abnormally large muscles. Talent is everything, without it you are just mediocre at best.
>>
>>120527056
Ha, in your face dad, I was useless from the start!
>>
>>120527057
ha ha go back to your single parent household murrican. I bet you even hate that one parent working hard for you you fucking shit.
>>
>>120527345
>working hard
Living on welfare isn't working hard.
>>
>>120525017
I must agree that this is pretty annoying even if it's true, it's throwed in every anime.
It's basically "daily remainder: you filthy otaku neet have no talent, no meaning but the cash to buy our show in which we shit talk about you."
>>
File: 1347220456156.png (18 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
1347220456156.png
18 KB, 500x330
>>120527305
>does not use illegal substances
>>
>>120527446
No, it's more "Daily reminder: Stop beating yourself up for your failures, there wasn't a chance you could do it anyway so be proud of what you can do".
>>
>>120525017
They have backward notions of a person's capability based solely on what they think they can accomplish, rather than real world experiences and results.

A lot of their culture is archaic, yes.
>>
>>120527305
Luckily, being mediocre or less is often enough to be successful in a lot of things. You won't be the best, but you'll get by ok.
>>
>>120527474
If you only knew the anti-drug culture in Norwegian powerlifting.
>>
>>120527541
Said by a deluded liberal with notions that all races are the same. The hypocrisy of you people never ceases to amaze me.
>>
Because it's true. You won't see a physicist with an 80 IQ. You can only achieve lower than your limit, and with enough luck, push yourself past it a mere couple inches.
>>
>>120526707
>>120526470
>>120526246
>>120525439
>>120527298
"Talent" is 80% hardwork and 20% luck.

There's countless studies showcasing the that biggest determiner for success is how many hours you put in. Tiger Woods does not have "golf genes". He just played so much that he used to bring his golf club to the table when he was a kid.
>>
You can't achieve anything if you only work hard.

But you'll achieve a lot.

However, there is a difference between working hard in a dumb sense and working hard in a smart sense.

If you work hard on your job, do not expect too much to come out of it. If money is your goal, you must look for other ways.

This is my own experience, I'm a retired young anon that has a lot of cash. I also consider myself incredibly untalented.

But note that in terms of sports and smarts, talent truly does matter. There will always be someone that's more good looking, more smarter and more athletic simply due to his genes.

But why should that stop you, or anyone for that matter? If you know a way to improve your life, act on it.

If you make it your life's goal to be the best you can be, it will be a fantastic one. The moment you stop making shitty excuses and start learning is the moment you start growing.
>>
Being able to work hard is a talent.
>>
>>120527503
Yeah no, I don't regret the choices I made, if I want I still can live as society want it, but I don't have the will to do so.
>>
>>120527735
Calm down.
>>
>>120527614
The value of those hours is important you have to note, not just the number.

And also, from the perspective of someone living as an adult that has a better understanding of decision making compared to a child who simply does things on a whim, you are "born into" what you become as an adult because your previous decisions as an ignorant child were completely out of your control. The notion that someone is always the same person with the same perspective is utterly bullshit, at the end of the day what makes you what you are 10 years from now is determined by the present and the area of the brain that handles decision making is not fully matured until the mid 20's.

You're not stuck because of genes, you're just stuck with whatever past you decided to fuck around with.
>>
>>120527735
You don't right now.
>>
>>120527614
Golf is not a sport where one can measure talent. It is based almost entirely on technique and experience. Any speed, or strength sport is a much better example than golf.
>>
>>120527584
This.
>>
>>120527614
>There's countless studies showcasing the that biggest determiner for success is how many hours you put in.
And you never considered that someone who is good at something due to being talented progresses faster, receives more positive feedback and is thus more likely to keep what he's doing and put more time into it? If you lack intelligence you won't be able to get higher education. And no practice in the world would make you a better golf player than Tiger Woods because he does indeed have "golf genes" - or rather, a combination of traits which makes him good at golf.
>>
>>120527596
IQ is a stupid way to measure intelligence, however, leaving that aside, the physicist is able to do well at his job because he may have been confronted with the underlying principles behind scientific work from a comparatively young age (especially when taking into consideration that a lot of the people who end up studying a science come from academic households).
So while there definitely is a sort of predisposition for the physicist to do well with his job, it probably has more to do with the way he grew up rather than any kind of genetically determined factor.
>>
File: 54y45y45y45y45y45.jpg (142 KB, 541x676) Image search: [Google]
54y45y45y45y45y45.jpg
142 KB, 541x676
>>120527584
Not him, but fuck off. That literally has nothing to do with his point which is actually true. Le noble family bloodline shit is archaic and retarded. Kings will always defend their dumb children.
>>
>>120527584
How did you pull that from what he said?
>>
I only know tiger woods by name, how good is he that you guys are using him as standard ?
>>
>>120527873
>>120527926
Fuck off. It's absolutely related to it, and his point is a bogus one that ignores the general level of incompetence among lesser peoples like Africans, aka the real world results he tries to cite.

>Le noble family bloodline shit is archaic and retarded.
Nope. People who are born into a family of, say, carpenters, will find it much easier to do carpentry than some scrawny liberal kid descended from a bunch of IT nerds who wanted to try doing it.

>How did you pull that from what he said?
Because those people are the ones who say shit like that.
>>
>>120527614
And his dad starting him at golf at age four or whatever had nothing to do with it?
>>
File: 32423r32f23r23.png (32 KB, 608x226) Image search: [Google]
32423r32f23r23.png
32 KB, 608x226
>>120527968
Has spent more weeks at rank 1 than the 2-9th place golfers combined.

>USA
>>
>>120527873
Don't think either of you are reading his post.
>They have backward notions of a person's capability based solely on what they think they can accomplish
Is basically "if you think you can do it" is bullshit.
Nobles gained power and stayed in power due to superior intellect, this much is true.
When you think of it the first nobles were just politicians, they were the village council, the decision makers and administrators. If the specific traits that earned them their place were carried on that does indeed make them superior. There's also the fact that nobles could afford to give their offspring a superior start at life and a better education, further widening the gap between commoners and the patricians.
>>
>>120527857
IQ is no metric akin to bodily size, in the sense that you can say for certain that a guy who scored 115 is less intelligent than a guy who scored 120 on his test, but as a statistical quantity applied to demographics it does indeed give you a good idea of their academic ability.
Some people are born stupid. This is a fact. No amount of education is going to turn them into engineers or physicists. The idea that with hard work they could overcome their stupidity is a lie. A flat out lie. And it's not going to help people, because if they could have overcome their stupidity with hard work then they're obviously lazy and deserve their poverty.
Simply dealing with the fact that some people don't have what it takes to succeed in a first world society would help it a lot. Being stupid doesn't mean that one is a bad person after all, and I'm fairly certain plenty of people who'd score worse on an IQ test than the average /a/non are actually a lot more confident when it comes to dealing with every-day problems due to a lack of autistic retardation - even though being technically less intelligent.
>>
>>120527305
>7 years ago.
That is a lot of training time anon. Also where in your mind did you get that he didn't lift as a kid? Sure he wasn't a young kid 7 years ago, but he was 17 years old. Kids usually don't start lifting till they get into some kind of sport around the age of 15. Trying to build a lot of mass prior to that is pointless.
>>
>>120528088
>the opposite of a carpenter is a liberal
>everyone who thinks that hard work and experience are relevant to someone's level of achievement is a liberal
/pol/, please, you're being too conservative for conservatism
>>
>>120528088
>Nope. People who are born into a family of, say, carpenters, will find it much easier to do carpentry than some scrawny liberal kid descended from a bunch of IT nerds who wanted to try doing it.

AhahaAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm nearly convinced that you're a stupid troll now.
>>
>>120528105
Wait, he's back? I thought he'd never fully gotten his groove back after whatever the fuck went down with his wife.
>>
>>120525017
>Why is it that in anime, or maybe it's Japanese culture, do they put so much emphasis on talent?

Because "hard work" could only get you so far, in the end it's the talent aka "the last push" that matters.

Then again that's way too general of speaking, it's "EXPERIENCE" that always flies in before any hard work or talent, especially in East Asian countries.
>>
>>120525017
Because that's a fact, you got the talent, you can master something other can only dream of or it would take a life time, this apply to everything, this is not a fair world.
>>
>>120528183
>>120528191
I like how you two are ignoring what I said for the sake of insulting me.
>>
>>120525017
Because all the weird Asian prodigies have proved to them that hard work is well and good but can't beat someone who's working hard and has a 230 IQ.
>>
>>120528356
>>120528327
Find me one prodigy that hasn't put a lifetime of hours in. There isn't one.
>>
>>120525017
Genes determine everything? What nonsense. Individuals are not responsible for their genes. Individuals are individuals. Family lines or genetics have nothing to do with the abilities of the individual. People who believe that genes decide everything are truly worthless people who can only do what they are told. People who boast of their ancestry have nothing that they can boast about in themselves. Those people are the ones that I truly disrespect. by Reinhard von Lohengramm from Legend of the Galactic Heroes
>>
>>120528385
>4chan
>>
>>120528385
No. You're points are entirely devoid of logic and you're stupid (for all this talk about "muh talent" you sure don't have any) to the point that you deserve scorn. That's why you're being insulted even by people other than me.
>>
File: 2dcc1-attachmentthe.jpg (33 KB, 388x400) Image search: [Google]
2dcc1-attachmentthe.jpg
33 KB, 388x400
>>120528172
Most prominent weightlifters start either in their preteens, or very early into their teens.
The two strongest lifters in the squat and deadlift started lifting at 17 and 18 respectively, both after a skiing related accident and they both admit that the injury from the accident is likely limiting their potential, despite being far above anyone else.
Arnold started lifting young and he failed as an oly-lifter and powerlifter, that's why he turned to bodybuilding which was still a niche back then. 7 years is nothing, many lift for a decade without getting anywhere near the top.
"He lift from child" is an expression we use to emphasize that a man has been lifting weights from a very young age to get where he is. Many of these still fail.
>>
>>120528453
Hideo
>>
>>120525017
I don't know. I was just looking at her tits.
>>
>>120528453
Was already posted.
>>
>>120528107
>There's also the fact that nobles could afford to give their offspring a superior start at life and a better education, further widening the gap between commoners and the patricians.
I wish they emphasized this more. Economic and political power has always been the difference maker of the elites, not superior genetic traits deliberately kept restricted to a certain family. Worse is if that trait is only possessed by a single person. So we have an MC that's destined for greatness just because his dad is Jesus. Anime makes eugenics look so easy.

By the way, one of the better depictions of talent I've seen is from Slam Dunk. Eiji Sawakita is basically the poster boy of cultivated talent.
>>
>>120528110
It does to a certain extent, yes, since it more or less tests things like pattern recognition and "logical intuition" (there's probably a proper term for that, but I don't know it), which are required skills in most branches of academia.

>Some people are born stupid.
Are there any studies about that? Because with my current views, I find it hard to believe that people who aren't mentally disabled or didn't have a proper upbringing could simply be born less intelligent than others. I am by no means saying that every person is theoretically capable of becoming what most would consider a "genius" if they had been brought up in the same way a genius was, but in my opinion, any mentally able person would, with proper education from a very young age, be capable of very high-level academic work/research in their field of choice. I simply find it hard to believe that "intelligence" would, in that regard, work in the same way as anatomic predispositions do, where talent is, to a good degree, simply determined by how your body is structured. However, if you do have links to any studies that were able to remove intelligence from factors like education and upbringing, I'll gladly read through them and reconsider my stance.
>>
>>120528472
That's bullshit. Individuals are not responsible for their genes, but the genes still play a significant part in creating the individual.
>>
>>120528110
>>120528689
(cont.)

>Simply dealing with the fact...
I actually agree with you there. I don't know how it is in other countires, but where I live, we have way too many people in the highest forms of publically available education, and it's more or less obvious that most of them would be better suited for, so to say, lesser mentally demanding work. That's the reason why I believe that, at least where I live, the school system should be changed so that you don't require the highest form of education to do, say, certain engineering jobs, so that, with some restructuring, you could go to a "lesser" school, but still receive the necessary education for these kinds of jobs, while the "highest" form of school education would be left for the people who will later on do things like academic research (of course, there's other factors going into that, like a stupid amount of elitism, etc., but I won't go into that).
>>
>>120525017
Anyone with a brain thinks like this. That short kid with asthma back in high school didn't seriously consider being an all star line backer for a reason.

People can't just do anything. You have things you are good at and things you aren't. And hard work only goes so far for people with no talent.
>>
>>120528739
Not at all. There are plenty of ectomorph bodybuilders.
>>
Because Japanese people and their society have made it easier to blame their failures on someone being more talented than them.

They're always like "Aaa~ tensai desu ne." 天才

I mean, look at the fucking kanji, it's like your talent came from the heavens and then they can just say the nice old "It can't be helped" and get on with their day.
>>
>>120528739
Hard work gets you a long way over a long period of time, but someone who's just really good at that thing will usually exceed you if they put in effort. There are plenty of geniuses who just never find the dedication needed to really make use of their talent, though - didn't the highest IQ ever recorded belong to an advice columnist or something?
>>
>>120528755
When everyone's on gear it doesn't really matter what your natural growth is.
>>
>>120525017
Probably because Japan is the culture of "work yourself to death and act like you like it". In other parts of the world it's possible you could "out work" a large enough portion of the population to get ahead. But not in Japan. No matter how hard you work there are millions, tens of millions of people who are going to work just as hard as you, if not harder, who are also naturally more gifted. It's full of people burning themselves out to fit in and make it in society. If you don't have that natural edge or some other advantage you'll NEVER advance in life.

There's probably a huge audience there that can relate to that. The feeling that no matter what, hard work doesn't mean shit unless you've got talent.
>>
>>120527776
fucking this
Once you reach around age 17 everything you've done by that point will essentially determine what you'll be doing. And if you fucked around with drugs, games, television, and whatnot then there's nothing else to do.
>>
>>120528809
./thread

Nobody actually believes it. It's just defeatism.
>>
>>120528453
Mozart started composing at the age of 4 or 5.
>>
File: wordsworth.jpg (66 KB, 781x944) Image search: [Google]
wordsworth.jpg
66 KB, 781x944
The simple answer is that faggots like William Wordsworth came with their Romantic philosophies that glorified the artist as an inspired creator rather than focusing on an artwork as the product of skillful toil.
The idea that talent is the sole deciding facotr in any craft (be it art, sports, etc.) is fucking ridiculous, but it makes for an interesting story, so writers use it readily.
>>
>>120525017

Some things are effected by "talent". If you have long legs and a strong body, you're going to be better at running than someone with short legs and a weak body.

That being said, skills are totally different from talents (a skill is something you can teach someone, a talent can't be taught). When it comes to skills, like drawing, playing an instrument, even fighting, practice is the most important factor. You wont get good at anything unless you practice it a lot. Different people learn at different speeds, but someone who has put thousands of hours of practice into something will always be better than someone who is "naturally talented" but didn't practice.

Same applies to talents too. You could have the perfect body for running. You're still going to be shit at it if you never practice.
>>
>>120528809
It's better than obsessing over your inadequacies. If you're going to do something about it, then do, by all means, but it's good to be comfortable with where you are and not get frustrated over not being a Nobel-winning chemist or something.
>>
>>120528755
That literally means nothing about what I said.

>>120528822
Obviously the "best" people at anything are those that are talented at it and work their asses off for it. Professional sports are full of excellent examples of people like that.

Also perfect examples of people that have talent but were too lazy to do anything with it.

And people that worked their asses off but never really excelled because they didn't have the talent.

Shit you can't watch/read sports related news without hearing about talent coming up all the time.

The idea its some Japanese only concept is ridiculous.
>>
does saitama count as an inversion of this ?
i mean he doesn't have any mutant powers or anything
he'd just a guy that did a lot of pushups and situps
>>
>>120528862
He was surrounded by music ever since he was born though, seeing as he came from a family full of successful musicians, so that may have had an influence on him.
>>
go back to >>>/ic/ you no talent scum
>>
>>120528725
not in the anime i just mentioned thats why my post was a replay to op question about anime
>>
It's not anime, but if anyone watched Blue Blazes there was one line where an artist says he doesn't want advice from someone who doesn't draw.

His response was "It's not that I don't draw it's that I can't" and he actually got upset as if there was a difference, almost taking pride in it. It's as if he didn't even try to begin with. Yeah I'm aware this is just a TV show, but that kind of thinking is so pathetic it makes me cringe.
>>
>>120528977
Yup. Talent is like a 1-10% influence kind of thing. Money and upbringing decides if you'll be good at X long before talent does.
>>
>>120528855
That's bullshit, though. There are plenty of people who change life paths or wind up more or less successful than they were on track to become. Promising people get depressed or addicted; mediocre students mature and develop new interests, etc. Yeah, obviously where you are has an impact on where you'll wind up, but it's not the sole determinant.
>>
>>120528977
It absolutely did. if you read up on Mozart, his father started disciplining him on the piano the moment he felt he was old enough to press the keys. As well, none of his great symphonies were written when he was a young boy. It wasn't until he mastered his craft that he started making masterworks.
>>
File: 319px-MKnR_v14_005.jpg (64 KB, 319x599) Image search: [Google]
319px-MKnR_v14_005.jpg
64 KB, 319x599
>>120528678
>So we have an MC that's destined for greatness just because his dad is Jesus.
There are plenty of faggots with great pedigrees that amount to nothing.
Meet Onii-sama. Deemed a failure at birth he was attempted murdered and disposed of, when that failed he was stripped of his right to succeed the family, never received any familial love and ultimately made a servant to his little sister.
The main reason why he can do the things he does is because of his intellect and his hard work. Without these he would've never been able to do the things he does with his ability.
>>
>>120529049
Sometimes I wonder how things would have been if my parents hadn't pawned the guitar my grandparents gave me as a kid and my school actually let me in their music program.

Oh well.
>>
>>120529071
he's a gary stue though so I don't count that
>>
>>120529052
Pretty much this. I mean, its not exaggeration to say that most people that go to college for one thing end up getting a career in something that is only barely related, if related at all, to what their degree was.
>>
>>120528977
Are you saying that every kid that grows up with a single musician parent will start composing at age 4, let alone be remembered in the annals of history as one of the greatest?
If something like that were to happen today it would be all over the news. Also:
> seeing as he came from a family full of successful musicians
> Leopold Mozart, a native of Augsburg, was a minor composer
His father was a small town musician, that's all.
>>
>>120528755
And they amount to nothing.
>>
>>120529071
you forget he was the guinea pig of genetic engineering
>>
>>120529071
I loves how google images gives you tatsuya if you search Oniisama
>>
>>120527305
In the same vein as this, I read that Michael Phelps was actually genetically predisposed to be an excellent swimmer. He has disproportionately large hands and a short torso, which probably means something for a swimmer but I have no idea what.
>>
>>120529120
It's kind of a plot point that he always pulls all-nighters, so I wouldn't say that he's a stu. He works hard, but people never see that.
>>
>>120529137
No, of course not. But >>120529063
what this guy says.

Furthermore
>a minor composer
>small town musician
doesn't change the fact that he had easy access to instruments, which post people during that time period did not.
>>
File: The New Bible.jpg (282 KB, 1280x1877) Image search: [Google]
The New Bible.jpg
282 KB, 1280x1877
Anyone who is having trouble understanding the relationship between talent, skill, and the crafting of fine work should take a look at T.S. Eliot's Tradition and the Individual Talent.
It's pretty much the best thesis on the creation of art (particularly writing) out there.
>>
>>120528453
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyK__6pakbY
>>
>>120529137
I think people that grow up from birth with music are probably going to be more in tune with it. That being said, obviously Mozart is an especially extraordinary case.

I mean, you can look at Sweden right now and see what a proper education focused on music can do versus pretty much everywhere else.
>>
>>120528327
> it's "EXPERIENCE" that always flies in before any hard work or talent
Explain fucking newtypes then. It's just talent and FEELINGS
>>
>>120529186
More water pushed and less resistance in the waist. The waist is not as flexible as the rest of your body, goes without saying really.
>>
>>120527614
Studies also show that the most successful athletes tend to be born earlier in the year, The reason is that because they have a few months worth of growth and physical development on their peers they tend to be bigger, stronger and faster than everyone else their age. This naturally gives them an advantage when playing sports which then mothballs into them both enjoying it more, spending more time at it and receiving preferential treatment due to their perceived talent.

Hard work is important. No one who's successful got there without putting in the hours. But the fallacy that the successful tend to have is in believing that anyone can do it if they just work hard enough, which isn't true. There are probably millions of really great hockey players out there who dream of going pro and who work at it, but the NHL only drafts a few hundred a year.
>>
>>120528689
>Are there any studies about that?
You're trying to tell me you've never interacted with someone you thought was stupid? This doesn't require studies because we're talking about a statement where the anecdote is sufficient proof. I'm not talking percentages of the population here - how many of them there are you're free to guess, the point is: some people are idiots out there and there's nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is suited for the type of thinking that is required in certain academic fields, just like some people have problems when interacting with others in social situations. However, holding this liberal ideal of everyone being able to do everything is simply a pipe dream. And it doesn't help anyone because in the end you'll be stuck with your idiots in a futile attempt of getting them through higher education they're not suited for, which they probably dislike too because they have no fun doing it, and what then? Blame them when they fail because they're lazy rather than simply untalented?

>I find it hard to believe that people who aren't mentally disabled or didn't have a proper upbringing could simply be born less intelligent than others.
Some people are taller than others. Some people are more inclined to get fat. Some people are prettier, some are uglier than others.
I obviously don't have numbers at hand, but back in the early days of philosophy people were well capable of using their heads and estimate the likelihood based on reasonable thought: if we agree that the human consciousness and ability is physically represented within the brain and if other physical traits can vastly differ from individual to individual - wouldn't it be most reasonable to assume that the same applies to the human brain as well?
>>
>>120529238
Yeah? So? Plenty of people work just as hard or harder and never accomplish even close to what he does. Talent can't take you all the way on its own, but neither can hard work. He was always going to be, at the very least, competent. Even if he was a lazy fuck. Hard work made him the best. Just the best.
>>
>>120529280
>>120529261
So the point stands, he was a prodigy from birth.
He grew his talent with work, sure, but you can't deny the fact that he was prodigy from the day he was born.
>>
>>120529330
Go make some more wild conjectures about Korean planes, Mr. Gladwell.
>>
>>120529330
The fallacy is believing talent is a big deal. The biggest correlation is and will always be hours put in. It trumps talent.
>>
Sorry but, everything you do from birth to toddler determines your life. With regard to your non-physical traits
>>
>>120529330
Not even mentioning how ever many people out there that could have been top end Hockey players had their life been different enough that they got into hockey when they were young.
>>
>>120529347
Exactly, that's the point. A Stu never struggles, is always exceptional and is loved by all. The real Sue is Miyuki, Tatsuya is just stronger and smarter.
>>
>>120529405
I think you are missing the point. If I were to quantify hard work in units of WORK, and I gave two people that put in 100 units of WORK each, the more talented one would be the better. Which is the entire point.

And it completely ignores that some people are just purely inept at certain things, no matter how hard they work at it.
>>
>>120529467
Oh please. There is no such thing as a Stu that NEVER struggles.
>>
>>120529043
I agree, if he's given up on being "able" to draw then why does it matter whether he draws or not?
>>
>>120529504
It's relatively minor variance to the point that luck can outdo it when it comes to success in life.
>>
>>120528738
You'd still get stuck at a certain point because you have plenty of people who cannot do much besides menial work. In the past there was work for them to be done. They could be craftsmen, they could be factory workers. But nowadays there's little use for them because menial work is nowadays done by machines or in third world countries. It's too expensive to be done in first world countries. Some might find work as burger flippers, or some other service type job, or perhaps if we're talking about the US they end up in the military or in prison where they're exploited as slave workers. The point remains however that sizeable part of the population isn't needed by society. What to do with them? Right now, they're commonly blamed for their uselessness, which in my opinion isn't fair to them and denies the problem at hand.
>>
>>120529597
Luck can trump everything in life. The most incompetent lazy shits can live long and rich lives while the hard working people can suffer and die in obscurity, purely because of luck. Luck can be an extreme factor in any life. Don't treat it as some tiny variable.
>>
>>120529399
Don't forget in the david and golaith story golaith was actually blind, weak, and his only chance of victory was david not choosing to shoot him in the head with his pistol-force sling.
>>
>>120528855
I've spent the last 10 years of my life as a professional welder. I just got my A+ certification, so, you know, an utterly different field of work, and I only did that so that I could have a more stable job situation that still pays well because now, at 31 I'm going back to school so I can study evolutionary biology. (I was inspired to do this by a guy on Youtube named AronRa, who's an ex tattoo artist who went back to school at 44 to earn a degree in paleontology (which he now has).

Oh, I'm also working on a science fiction novel that I started at 27 after having never written anything before. The first book is done and, after a wall full of rejection letters, I have at least one publisher showing interest.

Seeing some type that someone can't change what they're going to do with their life after age 17 may be one of that saddest most wrong headed statements I've ever read in my life. Seriously dude, you gotta get that kinda shit out of your head because it's such a catastrophically wrong and unhealthy attitude to have that I don't know how to convey it you other than using the word "catastrophically".

As for why I'm 31 and browsing /a/? Eh. I'm still a big anime loving dork at heart and I like to occasionally keep up with what new stuff is out.
>>
>>120529405
It depends on the gap in talent and the gap in hours. If you have a middle-of-the-pack child in math class, and he starts doing five hours of studying a week, he'll do better than the smarter kids who aren't doing any studying, but he'll probably still get blown out by the "gifted" kid who only studies three hours.
>>
>>120529342
You're missing the point here. Of course I've talked to people that I would consider stupid, but there is no way to show that their stupidity can't be attributed to the way they grew up. That's why I'd like to read/see a study where these factors are removed as much as possible (which, of course, would be very hard). The point I'm making is: nobody is a complete idiot the moment they are born. They merely become idiots during the early years of their life, and are unable to change anything about it later on, because they simply lack the ability to.

>However, holding this liberal ideal of everyone being able to do everything is simply a pipe dream.
Yes, of course it is. There is not and will never be anyone who can just do everything they set their mind to - I think what you'll end up being later on in your life is pretty much determined by the age of 10 (at least in a broader sense, like academic work, manual labor, etc.).

> futile attempt of getting them through higher education they're not suited for
That's exactly what I'm talking about in the second post - I do not want it to be that way. In my ideal, these "idiots" would be properly dealt with in educational terms.

>Some people are taller than others... human consciousness and ability is physically represented within the brain
Hm. But that would imply that the ability would be there to begin with. However, no two human brains are alike in structure, so there's that.
>>
>>120528585
What he is lifting seems around average for his age. Back when I was in High School for football I lifted around that. Then again I was 320lbs while Arnold in that image was around 220lbs. There were some kids on the team that could lift more than me, but they juiced up. The one now does mr.Universe contests and the other got drafted for the Packers. Still I didn't train my whole life to lift that much weight it was more like 3 years and whatever crap I had to do at home for chores.

Yeah I agree that genetic disposition accounts for a lot. I have a friend who is skinny. No matter how much he trains he will be skinny. However he can eat twice as much as I can and has been the same weight since we were in school. So 7 years of training for him I guess would be nothing. However for anyone who has a larger body 7 years of training would be more than enough time to lift. Still like with the genetics strength will change how you look. There are strong men lifters who have guts and can lift large heavy objects. Then there are body builders who are just into sculpting their bodies, then there are power lifters who are a mix of the two.
>>
>>120529290
Many times it's because "only [insert protagonist] can pilot this robot".

Plus Amuro has all the experience after OYW.
All the Meisters in 00 had certified battlefield experience one way or the other.
>>
>>120529704
Holy shit, he actually has a book about this. I'm glad I never had to read that one.
>>
>>120529646
Yeah, you may actually be right about that. Now that there is much less demand for things like crafting jobs, the people who aren't suited for academic work (who, let's be honest, are probably the (vast) majority), don't really have a spot where they fit in with our kind of society. How to deal with that is something I will have to spend a lot more time thinking about before I can make a somewhat valuable argument.
>>
It all depends really. In sports with an age restriction or other limitations, physical advantages or an extra few months of age can make a significant difference in performance, particularly at a younger age. In a larger context, hard work and experience makes more of an impact than talent. However once you reach the upper limits of human ability talent and natural ability is the feather that tips the balance when every competitor is both a hard worker and experienced.
>>
>>120528855
That just sounds like an excuse to give up to me.

17? Are you serious?
>>
>>120526707

damn nigga you smart as fuck
>>
>>120529467
I disagree about Tats. He understood magic better than anyone else, had an extreme amount of martial training and experience, and because of those he was probably one of the worlds top experts on magic AND magic warfare. He was built by his experiences, and developed by himself a different view and application of magic. He was simply deviant to everyone else so his understanding and drive to succeed were on a level completely impossible for the average magic user.
>>
>>120529541
Plenty, they're just not so popular these days. Dark Schneider comes to mind. Sure he gets gored and trashed, but he always returns stronger than ever with a smile on his face and mocks his opponent. He never trains, he is just fucking exceptional from start to end.
>>
File: 13352160469.jpg (188 KB, 802x534) Image search: [Google]
13352160469.jpg
188 KB, 802x534
I would rather have that bullshit than the "everyone is a special snowflake and can do whatever he/she wants if he/she puts his/her mind to it! Gambare!" shit.
>>
>>120529980
> Dark Schneider vs Saitama
>>
still better than retards that never accept realities and live in delusion
>>
>>120529712
Goddamn stop enjoying your life and doing things its making us all look bad.
>>
>>120527647
>>120527548
This.
People who always say "genes dicide your life" seem to think that success = elite. Like if you don't be the best, you're a failure. And being the best needs talent so if you don't have it, don't bother to do anything because you will be a failure anyway.
The society is not that black and white. 99% of people are in the middle/lower ground, which are worse than the "elite class". Working-hard can't guarantee you to be in the elite class, but it's possible to be better than those people who are around the same level of talent as you. Call it a success or not, it's still better than doing nothing.
I mean, come on man. Helen Keller was fucking deaf and blind and it took a fuck ton of time for her to read one book. And she still managed to be a better author than most "normal people" becaue most people have perfect sight but don't bother to read.
If you really put all your effort into something you love, you will definitely get something you wanted. Not everything sure, but better than nothing.
>>
>>120529765
>nobody is a complete idiot the moment they are born. They merely become idiots during the early years of their life, and are unable to change anything about it later on, because they simply lack the ability to
Possible, but I'm inclined to believe the genome is more relevant. However, who of us is right here is actually besides the point because we're discussing the state at hand: they're stupid. Why they're stupid isn't actually that important - important is how society treats them.

>Hm. But that would imply that the ability would be there to begin with. However, no two human brains are alike in structure, so there's that.
And no two human legs are completely alike in structure either. I think you're attributing too much meaning to minor differences. In terms of structure, human brains are more alike than they are different. However, there are differences. Just like some people are taller than others, some people are more intelligent than others - or if you dislike the term "intelligent" you might replace it with "have more affinity for certain types of thinking". After all - most of the physical ability is processed within the brain too, so technically someone who's very dexterous with his hands is certainly "intelligent" in his own way, his brain is better at processing certain things than the brain of others, even though most of that takes place at an unconscious level is done inside is head nonetheless.
>>
>>120529712
I wanna make it anon-kun, but I have no motivation in life to change.

Is there a pill for that yet?
>>
>>120529777
600 lbs is not average for his age by any means, half of that is. Anon if you could lift that naturally, you're strong as hell and more genetically gifted than the vast majority of people, including weightlifter communities. You're calling 270 kg average? Holy shit, are you from Olympia?
>>
File: 1384033716717.jpg (88 KB, 544x483) Image search: [Google]
1384033716717.jpg
88 KB, 544x483
>>120529712
Props to you, anon, and you'll never be too old for /a/ and anime.

I expect to be in the same boat in a couple of months, too.
>>
ANIME ISN'T REAL, KIDS
>>
>>120530231
It's called git'er'dun. It is composed of doing things.
>>
>>120529712
I'll buy your book anon. sage for not anime
>>
>>120525017
then you have clearly not watched the right anime
>>
File: WEAK.gif (2 MB, 200x156) Image search: [Google]
WEAK.gif
2 MB, 200x156
>140+ posts
>ctrl+f: bitches, whores, adachi
>0 results
I'm disappointed in you, /a/.
http://youtu.be/m8wxNNXd0lA?t=2m59s
>>
File: 194764023808.png (176 KB, 484x360) Image search: [Google]
194764023808.png
176 KB, 484x360
>>120530444
Well that's not fair, Guts got special anal training as a kid, you can expect all people to be that lucky.
>>
>>120530233
My dad used to have me lift the back of his f150 truck to win bets with his friends when I was 16. However like I said doing that stuff as a kid isn't good. I have a slipped disc in my back and no acl in my right knee because of that crap.
>>
File: 1380325503540.jpg (125 KB, 913x937) Image search: [Google]
1380325503540.jpg
125 KB, 913x937
>>120530186
Helen Keller was extraordinarily intelligent.

Not every deaf and blind person could have done what she did. Most people would have failed.

The problem is that people don't want to call talent by its name. They fear biological determinism too much since it is closely related to social darwinism. The problem with this is however that it you rule out the component of talent, of sheer biological ability which enables people to do things others can, then you raise the bar to a level that others can't reach, no matter how much effort they bring up. And what is the consequence of that? That they're simply not trying hard enough. That they're lazy. An at the core positive ideology ("you can do anything") becomes negative if applied too rigorously.

There's a middle-ground between "you can do anything" and "no need to try". There is no shame in failure, many people fail. Also, occasionally it is reasonable to play it safe and not make an attempt to do something and take a risk, this isn't necessarily cowardice but it might as well be insight and having knowledge of ones own abilities.
>>
>>120525017
Huh? I mean, sure, there are geniuses in anime, but they're generally antagonists that the MC ultimately defeats with hard work.
>>
>>120530508
No bitches and whores here, just believe-faggots being told that they're useless.
>>
>>120530534
What's Chad doing watching anime? Shouldn't you be like benching 2000 lbs and doing backflips into your Ferrari as you fuck my crush, my mom and my sister all at once?
>>
Its the real world.

My law teacher back in high school worked his ass off for months getting his law degree, basically devoting 100% of his time to it. Still did somewhat shitty. Meanwhile, some guy who was apart of his class essentially was never there, aced the whole thing without trying.

Some people are just built to do something, and no amount of hard work will ever close the gap.
>>
>>120530585
Or they're eggs.
>>
>>120527305
>Because that's the fucking reality of things.
I don't read fiction for reality
>>
>>120530201
Jesus, first time in months I actually want to post in a thread, and my internet decides to be retarded.

We did start out talking about why they're stupid/how they came to be stupid, but yes, we kinda moved on from that.

>have more affinity for certain types of thinking
While that makes it sound more palatable, it doesn't really change anything about the issue at hand. Maybe gives it a bit of a new focus, because it implies that the word "intelligence" is not usable in this case because it is too general. One could, however, then go and say that while humans definitely have different (amounts of) these kinds of affinites, there isn't someone who wouldn't be able to excel at any of them. The thing I'm getting at is that when it comes to the potential of an arbitrary human being, while removed from any extrinsic influences, would be very close to that of another.

But yeah, regarding how to deal with the "idiots" again, I can't seem to be able to come up with any humanitarian way to deal with them. On the spot, that is. I still have to give it some more thought.
>>
File: crying faggot.png (395 KB, 675x475) Image search: [Google]
crying faggot.png
395 KB, 675x475
>>120530771
That's why you have Naruto dattebayo!
>>
>>120530837
naruto did try to push the hardwork beating talent thing early
then completely shat on it for the rest of the series.
>>
>>120525017
>120525017

It's all about money and nepotism. It's the one thing japs try to hide under the rug to give a false sense of hope to the sheep of their nation.
>>
>>120530679
But at the same time, it's also possible for someone with natural talent in a particular field not have the natural talent to actually work hard, while someone else without the same natural talent does have the talent to work hard. In that way, it's impossible to say what really causes success or failure since "talent" to do something essentially applies to everything.
>>
>>120530679
lots of people wouldn't accept this ( probably american i think) because they got jammed into their head since they were kids the idea that anybody can grow up to be anything they wish to be just because
>>
>>120530931
Working hard is not a talent, it's a decision.
>>
>>120528088
>Because those people are the ones who say shit like that
So basically you're making a baseless assumption of someone you've never even met, and immediately start bashing his beliefs because you think they're the opposite of yours?
>>
>>120530931
>natural talent to actually work hard
Nigga hard work is hard work, it has nothing to do with talent.

Let's not go full retard here.
>>
>>120530978
How do you know? What if some people lack the willpower to do so, yet others can? Is that not a "talent" in self-control?
>>
File: cheater-chan.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
cheater-chan.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Medaka Box taught me that hard work>talent
>>
>>120530931
HAHA, I fucking love this argument. Working hard is a skill too! I need to have talent to be able to do it!
>>
>>120530780
I'm not trying to be mean when using words like idiot. The issue is: the type of thinking which a first world society favours is a different one than that a tribal society favours. In the past, most of these people could have become useful members of society since menial work was more important. Nowadays the need for it is getting less and less.

What to do with them? Well, that's a good question.

For one, making life not harder on them than it already is could be a good idea. e.g. welfare programs to make sure people don't completely drop out of society, don't turn to crime or political/religious extremism, and not blaming them morally for their situation.
>>
>>120531050
>I'm not trying to be mean when using words like idiot.
I understand that - it didn't seem like you were using it in a degrading manner, we're just talking matter-of-factly here, so to say.
But yeah - nowadays, you'd basically have a tribe full of "wisemen" as opposed to the hunters/crafters/other people that were needed in large numbers during the tribal times. Maybe, just maybe, humanity as a whole is in a sort of transitional phase right now, which could be why so many of the "old kind" (what would've been the hunters and crafters) become left behind by society.
>>
File: 1406245741698.gif (306 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1406245741698.gif
306 KB, 600x450
>those people with polyglotism that can learn entire languages within several months
>those people with perfect recall and photographic memory that know fucking everything
>you are not one of these people
Why live
>>
>>120531034
No, it's a personal attitude and conscious choice. Working hard takes time and devotion. I know this because I've experienced it first hand.
On my first three months of uni I was constantly in a state of "do or die" and as a result I would work for hours after school. The result was that I aced my tests.
Now I don't even turn up for lectures and only do the bare minimum to take my exams, but still get passing grades. Right now I should be reading 200 pages of material on web development and another 100 on programming, yet here I am posting on /a/.I can work hard and have done so for extended periods of time in the past, but choose not to at present.
>>
>>120531324
This reminds me of a post I saw in r9k

Don't go anywhere. I'll look through the archives
>>
>>120530444
Born from a corpse and elf ears even after Miura got better at drawing them. Gatsu is super fucking special, he has the ability to defy fate.
>>
>>120531319
>Why live
so you can shit post on /a/ all day every day whit out actually watching any anime/manga
>>
>>120531439
>he has the ability to defy fate.
All humans can defy fate. If your life isn't a greek tragedy, at least.
>>
>>120531324
So then how do you explain the fact that some people need ritalin (or whatever drug it is these days) to stay on task, while others don't? Why can't you just pay attention? Since personal attitude can vary, and depends on the individual, I still think hard work is a result of various combinations of talent.
>>
>>120530652
I have a thing against going after girls who are already spoken for. Also I haven't done a flip in over a decade and with the disc and no acl I don't see that happening.

In short I watch anime because real life sucks. It is rare that I go to a bar without there being a fight, and its nice not having to worry about getting stabbed or shot at when I'm at home watching anime or talking online.
>>
>>120531284
>which could be why so many of the "old kind" (what would've been the hunters and crafters) become left behind by society
Essentially, the hunters and gatherers are at the moment being carried by the wisemen - the opposite of what it was before. While their work is still needed to a certain degree, especially in other parts of the world, in first world societies their use is diminishing. I don't see them vanish any time soon though.
>>
>>120531391
>r9k
shit
>>
>>120531516
Guts is a special snowflake and the reason why has not been explored. It stands to reason that he is exceptionally strong beyond any ordinary human even without the armor.
>>
>>120531591
>I don't see them vanish any time soon though.
Yeah, a big shift like that is bound to take more than just a few thousand years.
>>
>>120531560
People take shortcuts, they convince themselves that they need a substance and so they take it, eventually they become addicted and the assumption becomes reality.
>>
>>120530508
>no Adachi

More like no Zenkichi, he's the perfect example to use in this thread.

>wasn't talented from birth like the MC
>still got pretty fucking far with hard work, even if the MC still outshadowed him because sheer talent
>>
>>120531616
there were two humans at least that could fight toe to toe with him.
>>
>>120531695
See >>120531037
>>
People are naturally inclined towards certain things. Finding your niche is a part of life that many people never complete.
That's why you should try new things.
>>
>>120526365
It was more like a hiatus after losing at the qualifiers. He fucked himself up and then rediscovering his passion for the sport he got back on track.
>>
>>120531439
>Gatsu is super fucking special, he has the ability to defy fate
not really i mean one of the theme of berserk so far is that no matter what guts dose he cant change the great picture of things and every action he did since meeting griffith in the end resulted in griffith favor but ofc that all this is just build up so that when guts kills the god hand members and the idea of evil in the end of the manga to prove that free will>determinism
>>
>>120531724
Serpico had the advantage and eventually lost, Grifith actually lost pretty damn hard. Guts' progression from the time after Grifith became a God Hand is completely inhuman.
>>
File: found it.jpg (110 KB, 1174x412) Image search: [Google]
found it.jpg
110 KB, 1174x412
>>120531324
>you just gotta CHOOSE to be smart and get good grades
Are you saying this person "didn't try hard enough"?
>>
>>120531680
So not being able to concentrate is not trying hard enough, while not being able to think quickly enough is lack of intelligence, nothing to be done about it?
>>
>>120531862
Are you saying a post on /b/ is true?
>>
>>120531862
I never said that, I said that hard work is not a talent, it's a choice.
A choice he made and failed at because he had no actual talent, or year long experience in the field.
>>
>>120530231
Adderall.
Walk to your nearest college campus and ask anyone.
>>
>>120530553
Of course failure isn't a shame. It's all about how the person takes on it.
What I meant to say was people shouldn't limit themselves by making an unreachable definition of success and using it to discourage themselves.
I think being realistic is good when approaching your goal but not if you deny yourself before even starting.
So basically imo talent decides your capacity while effort decides how much you actually have in your container.
>>
>>120531980
More or less, but in most cases hard work can make up for a lack of talent at least to the point that one is competent at something.
>>
>>120532059
It still seems like two sides of the same coin to me. Something to do with the brain, and something to do with what you're born with. But I suppose we're not going to agree anytime soon.
>>
>>120526102
>ping pong was about talent vs practice

Ha Ha oh wow glad I didnt watch it
>>
>>120531862
AP is a fucking joke. That shithead was just destined for failure if he couldn't pass AP anything with 0 hours of studying.
>>
>>120532139
but who won in the end of the anime ?
>>
>>120531988
>says he's stupid
>flunks out of good college
>goes to community college
What exactly is so hard to believe about this?
>>
File: 1388539266879.jpg (50 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
1388539266879.jpg
50 KB, 500x600
>>120532221
Sorry the rest of us just aren't as smart as you, anon-kun.
>>
File: 1421188763266.png (357 KB, 800x906) Image search: [Google]
1421188763266.png
357 KB, 800x906
>high school
>never studied, just paid attention to class and had good grades on almost all tests (though rarely acing it)
>had friends who were the same as me
>enter Physics major without any effort
>first semester is okay, but I realized I had to actually study
>spend 4 hours a day studying
>ace almost everything
>learn that studying is actually pretty nice when you don't have to study shit that you dislike
Feels good to be smarter than Homura.

How did you learn that studying is awesome, /a/?
>>
>>120525017
It's the exact opposite. The Japanese believe hard work trumps all. That's why they go to cram schools and study 12+ hours a day.

Anime will say the opposite because it's what they, the exhausted and tortured students, want to hear. They're at their wits end and want to believe that any failures they encounter are not solely their fault, and that some people are simply greater than others.

I read this insane article on Wikipedia about Japanese moms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoiku_mama

This particular passage made me realize that their society is beyond repair.

>Mothers are essentially in heavy competition with other mothers who also want their children to get into the elite universities. In some cases, to make it seem like her own child is not studying as much, mothers will let their child use the parents’ bedroom to study while the mothers watch dramas on the television in the living room. Other mothers who pass by the house will see the child’s bedroom light off, assuming that the child has shirked his or her studies to watch dramas on the television in the living room. The next morning, the mother will report what happened in the dramas to her child, who will go to school and talk about it to his or her classmates, who will also assume that their friend is a slacker, lowering their expectations of their friend and for themselves. However, when examination time rolls around, the “slacker” will be admitted into an elite school while his or her friends will drop behind.
>>
File: Monomi_full_body_sprite.png (142 KB, 231x406) Image search: [Google]
Monomi_full_body_sprite.png
142 KB, 231x406
Who cares about talent? If it even exists, you either have it or you don't, and there's nothing you can do about it, so why waste time worrying about it when you could be practicing instead? So you'll have to work harder then someone who happened to luck out and be born naturally good at it - if you really want to be good at something that shouldn't really matter. Just work as hard and long as you have to to get where you want to be. If you really want to do something then not coming out of the womb already being a master at it shouldn't be an issue.

And you must never give in to despair
>>
>>120525017
Americans are some of the most likely people to attribute success to hard work. I imagine most of the rest of the world is like this.
>>
>>120529262
Thanks for the read, anon. That was one hell of an essay.
>>
>>120532049
Often this isn't just an issue of a personal definition of a success but a societal definition. Societies that are very much into the classical liberal ideology, and I'd say this applies very much to the US, are very much inclined to blame people for their failure. If you hold the idea that people can do anything if they only try hard enough - thus disregarding the element of individual ability - then the one to blame for failure is always the individual. Refer to >>120526707.
>>
>>120532296
Nah, real intelligent people put effort into their studies.
>i'm smart just lazy!
is just bullshit. And it's what I used to tell myself.
>>
>>120531858
huh wasn't talking about Serpico or Griffith but i guess that brings the number to 4
I was talking about the number 1 guy of that lord that buttfucked griffith and the bald guy in the mustache that survived that ritual that gave femto a physical body.
>>
>>120532308

That's not exclusive to Japanese moms though
>>
>>120530996
Look in this thread.
>>
>>120531862
>failing after first semester of engineering
That's actually pretty pathetic. I don't know why you thought that post was worth saving.
>>
>>120532418
Intelligence doesn't equate to smartness, anon. Intelligent people who don't study aren't making excuses for themselves, they're just being lazy.
Though you do get a fuckton of idiots claiming to be smart, but lazy so they kind of drown out the actual smart and lazy faggots.
>>
>>120532418
I believe that some people really are super-crazy-weirdly smart, but just don't put that much effort. Yet still manage to do pretty well in most hard things. Stuff like that happens, but there's absolutely no point betting on it since it's about point-nothing percent of the population.
>>
>>120531516
No, I mean in-setting Guts has been cited by Skull Knight as a really odd case.

>>120531840
>idea of evil
Not canon.
>>
>>120532449
Neither are stronger than Guts,
>>
>>120532526
>Intelligence doesn't equate to smartness, anon
Honestly, we don't even have a solid definition for "intelligence" or "smart." If you argue the difference, you're essentially arguing to yourself since everyone inevitably has some different versions of their own definitions.
>>
File: heartcrack.png (726 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
heartcrack.png
726 KB, 800x600
>>120525017
Every culture does this, well most of them anyone.

Also you want a heartwrencher? Heres one, and she's not even the best girl
>>
>>120532456
No, but it's more prevalent in that sort of culture.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKl6WjfDqYA

>youre special, you got here all by yourself
>>
>>120532542
>>120532603
Smartness is proven in direct results. If you cannot do certain things, if you can't reach a level of academic prowess you simply aren't smart enough.
Intelligence is your ability to learn and apply your knowledge to solve a task.
Intelligence and smartness is the difference between talent and hard work.
>>
>>120532526
I don't really get it...
>>120532528
Yep. I'm just trying to have some fun trying different things until I find something I like.
Honestly the only thing holding me back is math. I would have aced the ACT/SAT if it wasn't for that. But every time I tell myself I'm going to seriously study and learn it I just end up finding cracks in the system to scrape by with ok-ish grades.
>>
File: m3[1].jpg (172 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
m3[1].jpg
172 KB, 800x600
>>120525017
It is true. Why do you think MX0 was canceled?

It's because the japs didn't want to read a manga about someone who works hard and is somewhat lucky. They want to read about a naturally born godlike super-mage.
>>
>>120528809
Japan & Defeatism go hand in hand

Ambition is seen as foolhardy there
>>
File: 1400352788481.png (10 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1400352788481.png
10 KB, 400x400
I want to tell that everyone here is super special
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0adSLdS8M4
>>
>>120532418
It's not, though. There are people who don't study at all and do better than most of the class. There are people who are smart but think STEM is boring or humanities are worthless and don't do anything in those required courses. There are those autist codemonkeys who can produce whatever algorithm you need at the drop of a hat but can't be bothered to actually go through school. There are many smart people who just don't do what's necessary. The flaw isn't thinking that you're smart but lazy - the flaw is thinking that makes you somehow special or superior.
>>
>>120532799
Actually Taiga was pretty damn talented after all, what was holding him back was literally fucking fate screwing him over.
>>
>>120532418
Being "smart" without putting effort into your studies can only get you so far. There are many people who breeze through high school without ever picking up a textbook, and those people are all probably pretty quick learners and good analytical thinkers. But a poor work ethic will be the end of you in college, especially once you start taking upper division classes. And that work ethic will also insure that you never stand out in a work environment and limit your capacity for advancement.

Successful people have to learn to marry their smarts with actual effort. Even someone who isn't very book-smart or who didn't do well in school can earn a pretty decent living if they work hard to get results, though what they end up doing may not be their "dream job".

There are some instances where laziness will pay off, though. I have heard that some employers, those who manage programers especially, will often prefer employees who hate to do work. Laziness can often be good inspiration for finding the most efficient way to solve problems. However, the most important part is that you produce results.
>>
File: 1418159702755.png (583 KB, 931x636) Image search: [Google]
1418159702755.png
583 KB, 931x636
>>120532799
>Mx0
>Canceled
This still makes me mad.
>>
>>120532843
Pretty much this. Intelligence is too broad of a topic to be defined so simply anyways.
>>
>>120532523
It's just some shit i pulled from the archives because it's relevant to the thread.
>>
>>120532392
I didn't say anything about "you can do everything with just effort".
Like I stated talent decides your capacity while effort decides how much you have in your container.
You still need to fill your container regardless of it's capacity. Of course it's wise to do more research and make sure you're in the right way to put your effort in. You still need passion/positive attitude towards your work.
I just don't like the attitude that always discouraging yourself and it usually ends up with doing nothing at all.
>>
>>120532831
But girls should be ambitious.

AIJOU YUUJOU OMOI KASANETE
>>
>>120532831
isn't that similar in nordic countries
>>
>>120533053
>I just don't like the attitude that always discouraging yourself and it usually ends up with doing nothing at all.
But then you can start thinking that the alternative is to reach high and disappoint yourself. While defeatism is certainly not admirable, it's understandable.
>>
>>120533053
It is well likely that many people here are underachievers, in the sense that based on their mere academic ability they could achieve more than they're currently doing - if they're doing anything at all. However, that assumes that this was just an issue of academic skills, it leaves social skills and other things out of the picture. e.g. some /a/non with social anxiety, even if he could in theory do well in college might not practically do so because he gets nervous in class, procrastinates his work because picking it up alone reminds him of the stress it is dealing with other people which makes him lose his motivation, etc. - the point is: nobody chooses to fail.

However, I'm not talking about this on an individual level but on a societal level and in my experience societies who buy all too much into the classical liberal ideology are eager to pin failure on a lack of effort and thus a lack of character, when practically, it was more likely a lack of ability. An ideology which in feudal times was very liberating turned into the very opposite within modern society.
>>
>>120533345
I think people just need to keep in mind that being the best doesn't really matter and try to become great without expecting to. If something's too hard, try something easier. If something's too easy, try something harder. You'll get somewhere.
>>
>>120533285
nope
>>
>always been told that you should do what you like
>always liked parkour
>could never practice because i was a fatty, never found somewhere in here to practice, and i'm scared of highs
>tfw turning 20 and still on my way to getting a better body

Only thing i'm worried is that the internet says that people usually start at a younger age, so that plus my fear of high places could be a bit of a problem.

Also, how do i stop procastinating? I wanna do so much shit but i can't stop playing vidya or browsing 4chan.
>>
>>120533681
But at the same time, it's rather disheartening to see someone cruising ahead of you with half the effort. I suppose if you're passionate enough about whatever subject matter, it doesn't matter, but I think that's rare.
>>
>>120533921
>Also, how do i stop procastinating?
find motivation. we can't help you with that.
>>
>>120533997
I do find motivation. The problem is keeping it after 2 days. So far, going on nofap months seems to be going well.
>>
>>120533997
>find motivation
Not that guy, but that's empty advice. How would one find motivation? Being motivated is a subconscious state of mind. It nothing you choose.

There's a huge as fuck industry around motivational tapes. Why do you think do those sell so well? It's because people can't just "find" motivation. Of course it doesn't work with those tapes either.
>>
>>120532721
I tend to break it out quite a bit.

Intelligence would be your raw capacity for figuring something out.

Cleverness would be how quickly you process what your intelligence holds

Wisdom might be a sense of putting your other talents to efficient use

Knowledge would be what external information you have to work with

Reasoning would be your ability to apply your other talents to new applications, could also refer to inventiveness.

All of these contribute to someone being perceived as "smart'
>>
>>120526542
Only despair awaits you.
>>
welp, this conversation is a level ahead of me. I'm not special like you guys.
>>
>>120533921
>Also, how do i stop procastinating?
By just shutting up and doing it. At any moment, you're either doing the thing or not doing it; there is no "how."
>>
>>120534446
Are you being sarcastic? Everyone here is just arguing their opinions that aren't about anime anyways.
>>
>>120534446
I'm imagining you as a little girl who's all down as if she got a D on her test. It's cute that way.
>>
Well since I don't have the talent for anything, why try right?
>>
File: 1389240193161.jpg (183 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1389240193161.jpg
183 KB, 1000x1000
>>120534586
Aw anon, everyone has a talent for something. Some people just have more talent for generally considered useless things, while other people have talent for generally considered for useful things. For example, I'm really good at accidentally repeating myself.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 65

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.