[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why /a/ seems to have a clear preference for character-driven
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: 1421799215566.jpg (312 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1421799215566.jpg
312 KB, 1280x720
Why /a/ seems to have a clear preference for character-driven shows than for plot-driven shows?
>>
>>120322711
Because the plots are frequently shit.
>>
Because /a/ is full of waifufags.
>>
>>120322711
Because plot driven shows are often painful and lack fun.
>>
Characters are what makes a story good, not plot.
>>
>>120322844
As it should be.
>>
A bad plot with good characters is still enjoyable.
A good plot with bad characters isn't.
>>
>>120322883
i dunno, some of the best books are plot-driven.
>>
>>120322883
This.
Good story but terrible plot/execution is terrible.
Bad story but excellent characters is decent.
>>
Character-driven stuff is just usually more powerful to experience. Plot is good, but plot, on it's own, is definitely inferior. One-dimensional characters get very predictable. And no, I don't watch cute SOL.
>>
>>120322955
Those also get by on the author's writing ability. A plot-driven show has to have good animation, etc. Having that kind of stuff is much harder, because it takes more money.
>>
>>120322883
Nah, you can't say that definitively.
>>
>>120323027
>Character-driven stuff is just usually more powerful to experience
i can agree with this
>but plot, on it's own, is definitely inferior
why? many of humanity's most celebrated and fundamental fiction (i.e. classical greeks) is plot-driven.
>>
>>120322711
Characters driven shows are more fun and plot driven shows almost always take themselves too seriously. People like Amaburi because of the fairies, mascots and Sento. I enjoyed the show even though the plot was absolute shit.
>>
>>120322711
Waifus.
>>
>>120323273
But people praise Evangelion, a character-driven show that takes itself way too seriously, as inherently better than a lot more (previous) shows with similar setting that put more focus on their world development
>>
Come on /a/, it is never black and white.
>>
>>120323271
If we're using the Greeks as an example, most people read those for context, not necessarily for the plot itself. They're among the first examples, we have, of a coherent story plot.
>>
>>120323399
Because it basically created the concept of waifus for the current generation of 4channers.
>>
Japs can't write a decent plot.
>>
>>120323399
Evangelion is clearly different. It was one of the first extremely popular shows that focused on characters and spawned a whole new kind of otaku and basically created waifufags, while still having good world building and plot. A show like Evangelion is going to take itself seriously.
>>
Because /a/ has shit taste.
>>
>>120322711
Because Japanese entertainment IS character-driven rather than plot-driven. Google it, there are plenty of papers writing on the topic.
>>
>>120323604
>while still having good world building
Ehm, no, i can agree with everything else, but as a sci-fi show it severely lacks on that department. Its world building is "it's just like today but we have this giant robots", even counting side materials, a lot of things remain unexplained.
>>
>>120323803
Gook culture, eternally inferior.
>>
>>120322711
I haven't seen a decent plot in any medium in ages. Creative works in general seem to really favor character-driven stuff, at least the stuff that people consume for fun instead of "enrichment" or whatever you want to call it. And it seems like it's really hard to pull off a good plot WITHOUT great characters to make us give a shit about what's going on in.
>>
>>120323857
Did you even fucking watch it? Clearly not if you don't know that Evas aren't giant robots.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.