[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why dont we have more outlets for anime reviews and/or anal sis?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 10
File: Irritated Ojou-sama.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Irritated Ojou-sama.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
Why dont we have more outlets for anime reviews and/or anal sis?

I mean there's Glass Reflection, Demolition D, that woman who talks about Digimon Tamers and a few review sites like Nihon Review and Them Anime.

And all those fucking terrible blogs and aspies sitting infront of their webcam telling me why I should watch Utena or Guilty Crown barely even count.

I'll guess we'll always have /a/ to chastise opinions, MAL have some good enough reviews I guess.

But is that really it? How else am I meant to form my own opinions if there isnt a well edited video to compliment them?

What do you think /a/ - Anime & Manga?
>>
I really hope this thread is satirical.
>>
>>120032978
besides that pic, i dont think /a/ likes any youtuber mostly because they are people showing their opinions, and as we know, our opinions are shit.
even tho gotta love D+
>>
>>120032978
>But is that really it? How else am I meant to form my own opinions if there isnt a well edited video to compliment them?
>>
File: 1406437171200.png (711 KB, 1600x2162) Image search: [Google]
1406437171200.png
711 KB, 1600x2162
>>120032978
>But is that really it? How else am I meant to form my own opinions if there isnt a well edited video to compliment them?
>>
People with actual knowledge and interest in film don't usually care much for anime.
>>
>anal sis
lots of that on sadpanda

Seriously, though, the problem is that anime really is just that bad. Almost everyone with something insightful to say about filmmaking is making a lot more money talking about better films, and dipping down for the occasional Ghibli movie or occasional Redline-style ego project.
And the fanbase LIKES it that way, to be honest; Ikuhara is babby's first psychosexual theming, Tomino is half-assed cinema verite, and Shinbo is barely passable noveau on his best days, and all of them are roundly criticized, not for being bad, but for even /trying/.
>>
Reviews are kind of pointless since anime is free.

The question 'what are the best anime, that everyone should be watching?' isn't something that anyone actually wants answered. People that consume large amounts of anime are generally losers who want some form of escapism, instead of people actually looking for the best in the art. It's an audience that prefers inhuman concepts like generic tsundere imoutos to characters that actually act like humans. The simple fact is that virtually all VN and LN adoptions are garbage anime, this includes monogatari, fate stay, steins gate, and all the other big names because the character's are garbage. If you expose these to non-nerds they start to say "why are the characters acting this way?". But to the weebus the characters are more relatable and vivid than even people in real life. They understand anime arch-types deeper than they understand real people.

/a/ isn't interested in 'what is good anime', it's what anime has the cutest girls? While the occasional lapse into harem-shenginagins and loli moe is entertaining and can even be excellent it's hardly the peak of the art.

I'd even go so far as to say that TV anime in general is the lowest point in the art. Anime movies, and the great OVA's of the 80s and 90s are were most of the great works lie. A proper list of 'top 100 anime' should have 80% it filled with OVAs and movies. It is only very rarely that a TV anime of equal magnitude is made.
>>
bump for humor
>>
>>120035413
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMmZq0rTpA0
>>
>>120032978
>>120034489
Most real reviews are just jews circle jerking anything that has a liberal undertone to it
>>
>>120035413
I just like fantastic settings and nobody does the fantastic like Japan.
>>
File: 1336200238335.jpg (31 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1336200238335.jpg
31 KB, 500x281
>>120035413
>the great OVA's of the 80s and 90s are were most of the great works lie
10/10
>>
>>120038504
I feel it's more to do with the tone of a show.

The general consensus is that anime is for estranged teenagers and perverted young adults.

So when you have an anime like Shingeki no Kyojin with lots of death and darkness and super serious moments, no matter how much the show dips in quality after it's eighth episode, people are going to rave about it based on the fact that it may change the views of others looking onto the medium.
>>
>>120032978
People who are into anime tend to be young and geeky, not the sort of people who can command an audience with wit and charisma. When you talk to people, regardless of the subject or medium of communication, your success is really dependent on how well you can connect with and entertain your audience, and I doubt many anime fans can do that well.

Plus, like >>120035413 said, anime is free so who cares.
>>
>>120038807
Are you fucking with me right now?
>>
>>120038922
Sure
>>
>>120038504
Exactly, troglodytes like you who go MUH POLITICAL CORRECTNESS FOR MUH CAVEDWELLING POLITICS are why no one who's interested in looking at how media interacts with a universal human spirit are interested in the media you like.
>>
>>120035413
I'm sorry you're smarter than us, it's kind of a curse isn't it? I'm thankful that you take time away from writing your philosophical treatises to visit us on /a/.
>>
>>120039365
I don't agree with the Steins Gate and Monogatari parts, but is the post really that wrong?

Have a good look at /a/'s catalog and you can instantly tell what's wrong with /a/ as a whole and what's wrong with current anime.

It's just a marketing tool to sell animated girls to idiots.
The irony is that the people who embrace such a mentality put themselves above other cultures and people they are a part of.
It's depressing that there are many people on this board who will spit at others for there taste in animated works, particularly popular shounen works, and then go to post in a thread about how much their "waifu" means to them.
>>
>>120040039
You're new if you seriously think people are serious about their waifus. It's just a joke and you're taking it seriously, just like you're taking the OP's bait seriously.
>>
>>120038504
It's the same with many of the big anime reviewers. They have shit opinions because they are a bunch of normal fags catering to normal fags. They go out of their way to avoid stuff with heavy anime tropes. Most people on /a/ have seen more anime than those anime reviewers on youtube.
>>
>>120040208
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grP6Z0tMmYM
>>
>>120040039
>I don't agree with the Steins Gate and Monogatari parts, but is the post really that wrong?
Well considering it says 80-90's OVAs are the pinnacle of anime, yeah I'd say it's wrong.

>Have a good look at /a/'s catalog and you can instantly tell what's wrong with /a/ as a whole and what's wrong with current anime.
It's aimed at a demographic you're not a part of?

>The irony is that the people who embrace such a mentality put themselves above other cultures and people they are a part of.
You're doing it too.

>It's depressing that there are many people on this board who will spit at others for there taste in animated works, particularly popular shounen works, and then go to post in a thread about how much their "waifu" means to them.
You spit at people's taste in animated works too, particularly current anime. Also, /a/ isn't one person.
>>
>>120040255
>a youtube video is representative of /a/

You're retarded. Kill yourself.
>>
>>120038504
>jews
>liberals
Goddamnit /pol/, how can we go from shitty anime reviews into "muh degeneracy" shitposting in less than 10 posts.
>>
>>120040208
>he doesn't take his waifu VERY seriously
But in all seriousness, waifufags are just modern Pygmalions.
>>
File: 1392675949450.jpg (84 KB, 457x381) Image search: [Google]
1392675949450.jpg
84 KB, 457x381
>>120040208
>not serious about waifus
How new are you?
>>
>>120040454
because it's exactly the problem, anime is made to salve the egos of overtalented and underemployed shutins who realize that capitalism has fucked them over but have been taught to be terrified that if bitches and niggers keep clawing their way up soon they'll have NO ONE left to shit on

well, it's anime, so it's elevens, so more "bitches and koreans", but still
>>
>>120035413
>They understand anime arch-types deeper than they understand real people.

Is this guy fucking retarded? Everyone who watches anime understands archetype more than real people. People are complicated. Even psychologist have a hard time understanding people.

Also how the fuck do you reach the conclusion that "characters that reflect real life people = good"?
>>
>>120032978
Remember the thread when we found out that old man died? ;__;
>>
>>120040483
/a/ used to be a place for people to act retarded but then the real retards (you) found refuge in this place.

It was a fun thing to do but acting retarded ended up being a bad idea.
>>
>>120040634
He just has bonitis is all.
>>
>>120040655
Oh yeah because you've totally been here since 2001
>>
>>120040634
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rag_9J1ZC2g
>>
>>120040039
>It's just a marketing tool to sell animated girls to idiots.

You could just replace that with any entertainment. Movies, music, books, video games are all just repackaging the same rhythms and stories over and over for "idiots". It's not like anime is different than any other medium in this regard except that we like watching cute girls instead of Hollywood cape movies. Everyone just finds a formula they like and enjoys it.
>>
>>120040208
>a joke
There are more examples of this. Also the thread if fucking cancer and mods didn't do shit.
>>
>>120040792
The people who watch anime should be better than that.
They are better than that.
>>
>>120033185
D+'s voice is like sex but grumpy is the only youtuber /a/ seems to agree upon
>>
All I want is an AVGN but funny of anime. Is that too much to ask for?
>>
>>120033185
>>120041073
I liked Demo until he posted this as an example of "hurr durr FUTURE OF CHINESE CARTOONS BEST EXAMPLE ROLE MODEL! etc etc"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2lVi-SeIx0
>>
>>120041144
So someone who's terribly bad at criticism, but yells a lot about anything that takes him out of his hugbox zone?

A decent critic will by definition be shit all over by the anime crowd as an SJW, because the signs of a decent critic are "sees >implications" and "can look at the show from someone else's perspective". Until that changes, you're never getting one.
>>
Reviews are gimmicks invented by journalists back then when people didn't had easy access to media.

It's 2015, there is no point in reviews anymore. Either you like it or ignore it.
>>
File: 1384963549244.jpg (119 KB, 630x441) Image search: [Google]
1384963549244.jpg
119 KB, 630x441
>>120041073
He's a nostalgiafag and hates loli, so I can't really enjoy him.
>>
>>120041326
see I'm listening to this dude just for his voice because again it's like pure sex he could go on a 40 minute diatribe about how bocu no pico needs to become a feature length film and I'd dig it because I just spent 40 minutes masturbating.
>>
>>120032978
check out AnimeAddicts on youtube
>>
>>120041669
AnimeAddicts devs please go
>>
>>120040039
>The irony is that the people who embrace such a mentality put themselves above other cultures and people they are a part of.
Stop generalizing. I've never once met a person who thinks that way just for watching anime. Just because you, people you know or most of /a/ are retards, doesn't mean everyone is. Also, talking about ironic, don't you think you fall into that category yourself by putting yourself above all the people who think differently from you?
>>
>>120040723
>2001
Newfags everywhere. I've been here since 1997.
>>
>>120038978
Didn't mean to trigger you, try an unwind a bit
>>
File: 1355494982042.jpg (47 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
1355494982042.jpg
47 KB, 240x320
>>120042079
>there are people on /a/ right now that haven't been browsing since 1983
>>
>>120042118
social injustice warrior taking fake offense again *rolleyes*
>>
>>120042157
>there are people on /a/ right now that never shitposted over telegram
>>
The only other reviewer who sometimes know what he's talking about is Bennett, but he's fat, ugly, and often wrong, not to mention he refuses to watch new anime and hates most older anime just as much. There are no good video reviewers.
>>
>>120040454
I have nothing against them but look how movies like Lincoln and Selma perform, they love it
>>
i would be very good anime reviewer

gimmick would be shooting in an odd room like where the tara the android videos are shot and having random objects around me placed in a certain order to make people think that i killed someone or some shit and am giving a hint through these anime reviews but actually am just tricking them hee hee
>>
>>120042274
this SIW, not content until every movie just has to have a white lead even if it doesn't make any sense
>>
>>120033600
And for good reason. A good majority of anime is awful, otaku-pandering garbage.
>>
>>120042516
You're a few hours late.
>>
>>120042607
Looks like it.
>>
>>120038382
That reminds me that I have to watch Hugo.
>>
>>120032978
I really enjoyed Animu Outsiders, but they haven't uploaded much else after episode 3
>>
>>120041367
I just want a bit of an insight before I devote myself to another 26 episode series.
>>
>>120042810
That's what a synopsis is for.
>>
>>120042810
3 ep rule
Director and writer
Source summary
Show summary
>>
>>120042810
Or you can just watch one episode, see if you like it, then make a decision from there. Is that so difficult?
>>
>>120042013
I guess so, it's all down to taste in the end.

But I dont feel that a lot of what is shown these days is done tastefully.

There's no need to put yourself above another because you watch mecha and they watch whatever.
But you do have to question their enjoyment of it, and the ultimate point of shows like that.
>>
>>120041367
The point of a review is for someone that knows more than you ever will about the subject to explain, not just whether it's good or bad but the philosophy of the art. This is why when there are great men like roger ebert, and Alex Kierkegaard I will read reviews of things I have already played or watched because they will tell me things I didn't realize about the game or movie.

A good reviewer does more than just tell you what is good and bad, he changes the entire way you look at the art format and expands your taste.

The difference is that there is no ebert or Kierkegaard for anime.
>>
>>120040723
>>120042079
>>120042157
>>120042201
All these newfags invading /a/. I remember when we had to send smoke signals and blow out of carved buffalo horns to shitpost.
>>
>>120042266
Sounds like he needs to let off some steam.
>>
>>120043163
Wrong
>>
>>120042888
>>120042884
There are way too many shows that go against the 3 episode rule, heaps only really kick into gear at the last third of the show.

There are also just as many shows that start of brilliantly but then fall short or just become fucking dull.

The only show I can think of the three episode rule actually doing anything for is Madoka.
In short, 3 episode rule is for stupids.
>>
>>120042420
I was saying that politically liberal make up the majority of movie viewers and actively look to promote their political leanings when evaluating film, now I suddenly want every lead to be white? You must of read something that wasn't there
>>
>>120043108

>that knows more than you ever will about the subject

I feel this is often the crux of the issue. Maybe a reviewer knows a fuckton about a certain film/series, genre, or director, but I never get the sense they know more about the industry overall.
>>
>>120043108
This.

You expand your own views and tastes when you have the chance to delve into another's thoughts about a work, why doesnt anyone here understand this?
>>
>>120043452
You add 3 episodes for every cour. It's not hard.
>>
>>120043462
"help i'm so oppressed"
gb2/tumblr/
>>
>>120043109
Please, I used to shitpost through cave paintings.

I bet you're too young to have even shitposted through the town crier.
>>
>>120043566
I forgot to add that if you don't like it anymore, drop it. That's how you grow as a viewer and sharpen your taste.
>>
>>120043452
If you have no interest in a show whatsoever by 3 episodes you probably won't enjoy the rest much. There's very few that start out that terribly and end that well.

The point is to make your own decisions and your own opinions because you can, rather than listen to random fucks on the internet telling you to think. When you decide like that you skip series you may have liked or make another shitty "you guys said this was good but I didn't like it" thread.
>>
>>120043624
All it shows is that you are impatient.

I've dropped heaps of shows only to later come back to them and realise what I'd been missing out on.
>>
File: For you.png (6 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
For you.png
6 KB, 200x300
>>120035413

I like you.
>>
>>120043751
If I don't like it anymore, I stop watching it. I'm not going to keep watching hoping it gets better when I can be watching another anime from the backlog.
>>
>>120043695
The only show that comes to mind that started terribly and ended well is School Days.
>>
>>120043452
You aren't obligated to force yourself watching something if you think it's shit. If it's bad, drop it. If it's good, continue. Is that so hard?
If peope are going to whine and complain, then that's their fucking problem.
>>
>>120032978
Problem is that people who like anime are often fucking unbearably lame. Think about it, how many people on this site could talk about their favorite show withought being super awkward and weird?

Demolition D is cool, but GR just comes off as a massive loser/pretentious ass, and every other online reviewer is even worse.
>>
>>120043895
Exactly. It doesn't, and shouldn't, matter if it "get's better at the end". It's not like we can't just go back and finish what we drop. Is watching anime a one-time bomb per series now?
>>
>>120043597
Paint? I don't think you remember when we used rocks to shitpost. Literally banging it over OP's head.
>>
>>120042274
>biopic about a president who freed the slaves, even though he didn't particularly like blacks and thought they should go back to africa since we took them from there in the first place
>liberal shit

You know, that may be because he was the president, and not one of the shitty ones. Unless you're from the south, there aren't too many reasons to hate lincoln
>>
>>120043108

Let's face it though. We are never going to have a Roger Ebert of anime. He spent his entire life studying film as an artform, he had reason to know what he was talking about.
>>
>>120043518
This direct but it needs to be said.
A good reviewer ENJOYS THE ART MORE THAN YOU. And thus by learning from them you also learn to enjoy the art more. The reviewer is able to do this because he knows more than you, analyzing the art on a deeper level, and is capable of enjoying a greater variety of the art from a greater variety of time periods. Notice I said the word GOOD reviewer, a bad reviewer is one who hates the hate.
>>
>>120044332

He had also, for better or worse, been involved with the process. A lot of film critics know their inside baseball, they get in touch with the creators, actors, and producers. Anime doesn't work like that, maybe you get an interview or too, but they're busy and you don't even speak Japanese. American critics get screeners, they get invited to previews on studio lots, etc etc.
>>
File: 1410132232536.jpg (27 KB, 310x310) Image search: [Google]
1410132232536.jpg
27 KB, 310x310
>>120032978
>anal sis

stopped reading right there
>>
>>120041369
>nostalgiafag and a loli hater.
How disgusting.
>>
>>120044434

He also wrote that one really bad movie. Valley of the Dolls or something.

Which kinda proves the whole thing of "just because you know what makes a good example of the medium, doesn't mean you yourself can do better".
>>
>>120044682
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, my bad.
>>
>>120044682

That's what I meant with by being involved with the process. Anime critics will never be involved with making anime. The closest they'll get is maybe producing a dub for a license or working on America animation, neither of which really mimic the industry. It's just a lot more closed off of a system than what you see with Hollywood.
>>
>>120044434
To get a roger ebert, or alex kirkeegaard of anime he would need
*to be able to understand japanese to appreciate and review the actual voice acting and experience the full anime without scanning their eyes for subtitles
*not a socially fucked up weebu, actually understand how human beings interact and thus can comment on the characters
*Huge knowledge of anime: not just modern stuff but the majority of the 80s and 90s OVAs and a large percentage of the movies
*Understanding of the history and development of the industry itself
*At least basic knowledge of art and animation. No one wants to read reviews by an idiot who is impressed with simple, dated CGI tricks or who can't appreciate subtitle techniques of animation
*Have actually studied reviewing. Reviewing properly is a technique. Have read and understand the style of talented reviewers instead of just saying 'this is what the anime was about, this is what i thought, heres a number' like its a high school essay
*Actually give a shit about industry that is long past it's prime and going down the toilet
>>
>>120044682
To be fair though, while it is an example of how being an expert doesn't automatically make you a professional, no one really expects them to make something out of it in the first place.

I don't expect reviewers to start making games, anime or whatever, just because they supposedly know more than us.
>>
>>120044777
That isn't necessarily true. There's room for at least as much involvement as many Japanese critics get; a decent number of westerners, especially the huge French colony at Satelight but also a mishmash of directly-attached English-language consultants, have tangential or better involvement in the industry. Think your Toren Smiths, your Mark Simmonses, and your Thom Romans, even if you don't think freelancers who happen to report directly to Japan.
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.