[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Hollywood needs its music to be background music which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: yoko-kanno-interview-02.jpg (128 KB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
yoko-kanno-interview-02.jpg
128 KB, 650x433
"Hollywood needs its music to be background music which assists in the climax, but anime music is required to become a part of the film – and add to the emotions of the scene and the characters. Whether it’s climactic or not is simply a byproduct and not the goal." - Yoko Kanno

SHOTS FIRED
>>
>>119992461
Well, their OSTs tend to be pretty good.
>>
I dont get it
>>
>>119992563
Hollywood? They really sound like BGM to me, it's always loud brass sounds that I tune out. Even worse are the ubiquitous BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA sounds since Inception.
>>
>>119992461
She's correct. She's very good at giving shows atmosphere, despite her more showy soundtracks like Bebop.
>>
>>119992461
Trent Reznor > Yoko Kanno

But she is good too
>>
>>119992461
It's true, look at all the retards bitching about F/SN's music. It isn't overpowering like Kajiura's music was, instead it is simply aiding to the atmosphere.

Hollywood type music is less listenable on its own as a result, but better for the scenes.
>>
>>119992765
I meant anime. Hollywood movies tend to overuse ambient sounds and and what you posted.
>>
>>119992875
I'd actually disagree, the VN's ost was exceptional, and I feel like it would have been great had it been worked into the anime more. I think that music can be a part of the film just like the visuals and the characters. Its not good to have distracting visuals in a scene focused on characters, and the same goes for music. However, just as there is a time for films to be visually impressive, there is a time for them to be musically impressive. Making of a Cyborg is one of the most iconic tracks from Ghost in the Shell, and is, in my opinion, the perfect example of blending music and visuals without either overpowering the other.
>>
These days it's starting to seem like every anime needs to have BGM on all the time, and it's getting obnoxious. Not every scene needs driving techno or sweeping orchestral sounds, learn to turn it down/off.
>>
>>119992831
Your neckbeard must be so thick.
>>
>>119992765
>talking shit about Zimmer-senpai
>>
>>119993092
>the VN's ost was exceptional, and I feel like it would have been great had it been worked into the anime more
The VN recycled the same 3~ generic tension tracks during all the early battles.

I enjoy the VN ost for what it is, but you have selective memory if you think it has more than the 5 good songs that are constantly brought up. And out of those 5, we've already gotten Sword of Promised Victory, This Illusion and EMIYA (in the trailer, basically guaranteed). So 2 more would be Ever Present feeling (still on the table) and Light/Darkness (still on the table).
>>
File: 1418881891824.jpg (353 KB, 1169x863) Image search: [Google]
1418881891824.jpg
353 KB, 1169x863
>>119992461
It's really good to see somebody taking the anime music thing seriously.
She takes it seriously and considers it so important that she has pondered it down to a science, and that, my friends, is the way in which to advance the art form.
>>
>>119992461
Most anime movies I've seen have sound tracks so understated that they are nonexistent for long stretches of time, and it makes me a bit anxious.
>>
hiroyuki sawano is hans zimmer of japanimation
yoko kanno is the non-existent female of hollywood because american females aren't allowed to excel in anything
>>
>>119993092
>VN's ost was exceptional
I'm not sure if exceptional is the right word to use here. It was definitely memorable, but really repetitive (although it doesn't hold a candle to Tsuki), and a decent number of tracks relied on replayed sound effects as well. We'd better get an Emiya, die lorelei, and sword remix.

>Hollywood type music is less listenable on its own as a result, but better for the scenes.
I'm not so sure about this. Say what you want about Kajiura's genericness, but her type of music fit really well into F/Z's atmosphere, and really helped those dramatic scenes, in my opinion.
>>
>>119992461
I'm no music expert, but I agree with her. Hollywood music emphasizes on the situation, while anime music let you feel the emotion of the characters and emphasizes on the drama. When used correctly, hollywood and akiba use their music for different purposes
>>
>>119993271
All the VN needed were those tracks though. In this case, its not so much how good each track was musically, but how it worked with the VN. The mind associates sounds and smells with memories really well, hearing or smelling something calls up specific memories faster than anything else. So, when you're playing the VN and you hear EMIYA you immediately think "Oh shit, its about to get crazy." because your brain pulls up all the other times you heard the song. I think Church on a Hill and Ever Present Feeling both did this exceptionally well, which is what I was referring to when I called them exceptional. The tracks themselves are all right, but the way they were used was great, and each of those repetitive generic electronic tracks really meant something by the time you finished the VN. I just think its silly that the anime has such a great resource that they've barely tapped into.
>>
>>119994319
>I just think its silly that the anime has such a great resource that they've barely tapped into.
I agree completely. I heard that the guy who did music for Mahoyo is working on this, so I was wondering where the VN music was. I need my ever-present feeling remix.
>>
>>119993178
This is the exact problem I had with Kill la Kill's soundtrack. Not really a problem with the soundtrack itself, but with how overused it was when the show was nearing the end of its run.

The same couple of tracks being played each episode in quick succession, often cutting another off; hardly ever a lull, even in the less-action segments. I found it very jarring.
>>
>>119994319
Came to me just after I posted, but 5 cm/s did this really well too. You heard snippets of One more time, one more chance throughout the anime, on the radio in the shop, and as a violin cover when they met on the hill, among other places. By the time you get to the end of the movie its become familiar, if only subconsciously, and I feel like it really added to the effect.
>>
>>119994395
Almost any soundtrack that has a persistent motif is able to achieve this. It's a shame you don't see it too often.
>>
>Hollywood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AWIqXzvX-U
>Anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViEH57xQu1c

I think the winner is clear
>>
>>119994542
Is it the one with cute girls?
I think its the one that had cute girls.
>>
>>119994382
HunterXHunter had that same problem
>>
>>119994542
>Hollywood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKGJZt83_JE
>Anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynx26LJ1YC4

I think the winner is clear.
>>
>>119994739
Madhouse needs to get a new sound director, he does the same shit in Parasyte
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoqly3cifCs
>>
>>119992461
Why can't Hollywood movies do the same? Is it purely because of the shorter length so you can't really take time to associate a certain music with a specific character or situation? Their tracks, even if they are just bgm to enhance tension or whatever, seems to pale in comparison to what we hear in low budget anime.
>>
File: 1417940373189.gif (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1417940373189.gif
2 MB, 640x360
>>119994796
>Hans Florian Zimmer
>>
>>119994869
Its because the goal of Hollywood movies is to make money, and the average moviegoer doesn't give a single fuck.
>>
What would Star Wars be without John Williams?

Check mate atheists.
>>
>>119995003
The same mediocre sci-fi film its always been, just a lot quieter.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpqiTKuVPcw
>>
>>119995046
> insert green text here

And a tip of the fedora to you too
>>
>>119995109
>Not liking Star Wars is fedora tier

It was decent at best, I could care less about "Muh meaningful effect on the industry" The visuals were unimpressive, the characters were 2 dimensional, etc. I will admit the soundtrack is one of my favourite of western cinema, but as a movie it manages to be nothing more than acceptable, a decent way to spend 2-ish hours.

here's your reply
>>
>>119995262
No one cares about your shit taste. Stop trying to stand out with your crappy opinions. This is not the place to explain why you are wrong.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOy3AuB5PtI
Reminder.
>>
>>119995109
star wars is on the same tier of overrated garbage with lord of the rings, game of thrones etc, it's just so iconic that people will blindly accept it as GOAT
>>
>>119995298
Why would I try to stand out on an ANONYMOUS imageboard

I'm replying so you don't feel bad, stop being so mean anon
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.