[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Even K-Pop became mainstream in America for a while. Will anime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
File: psy.jpg (54 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
psy.jpg
54 KB, 600x400
Even K-Pop became mainstream in America for a while.

Will anime ever have a mainstream moment? I don't mean some celebrity references it something big like everyone talks about it. Watercooler. On CNN and talk shows and stuff.
>>
No and anime already went mainstream decades ago. Nobody cares about a cartoon getting popular.
>>
It did in the 90s. But probably weren't born.
>>
File: 1399218826464.png (231 KB, 596x412) Image search: [Google]
1399218826464.png
231 KB, 596x412
Anime is dying as it should be, Manga is the future.
>>
>>119470594
>CNN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFoZtBvgVi4
>>
>Dat feel when anime is a 90s trend
>Dat feel when youngsters are into K-shit instead
Anyone have that screencap of Abe Simpson saying to Homer that he used to be "in" but it changes and it'll happen to Homer?
>>
>>119470822
Fucking K-shitter and their plastic whores
>>
>>119470594
Anime is popular. Good anime popular? Not likely. I'm pretty sure every class in school of like 20 kids and above has one person who watches popular anime.
>>
>>119470594
boku no pico
>>
>>119470594
>what is Avatar: The last Airbender?
>>
>>119470908
Most K-poppers are female and they're into oppas aka plastic gigolos
>>
Fuck off faggot.
>>>/v/
>>
>>119471022
Isn't oppa basically the korean 兄さん?
>>
>>119470594
K-pop never became mainstream. It was just that one faggot Psy with his song that became popular for a while or still is. If you knew what true K-pop faggottry is and if it really did become popular, you'd kill yourself. K-pop and K-popfags are insuferrable.
>>
>>119471019
Western animation.
>>
>>119471080
oppa is used by females only towards their elder brothers, or guy friends, and most often boyfriends.
>>
Why are Koreans the worst kind of people?
>>
In one hand, I hate K-pop and I wish anime received more mainstream exposition but in other hand, anime is ignored on Japan as well (pedo/fujo shit or kiddy shit) so it's hard to support it. Titles like DBZ and Sailor Moon aired on primetime
>>
>>119471356
Nah, Korea a shit but Japan s way worse. Literally, it has been self-destroying for 25 years. They're human pandas
>>
Hatsune miku on david letterman never happened
>>
>>119471464
>implying you'll ever end up procreating either
You're no better.
>>
>>119471464
I've never met any actual native japanese people but lots of native koreans, they're pretty awful.
>>
It's one of those things that pretty much everyone in the "mainstream" is aware of but don't really care about. Like videogames used to be.
>>
>>119471464
Kim pls.
>>
>>119470594

>billion dollar industry
>WHEN WILL IT BE MAINSTREAM

Jesus.
>>
>>119471464
>Korea a shit but Japan s way worse
>Literally, it has been self-destroying
I wonder who could be behind this post.
>>
There are a few titles which have been mainstream in murrica. Anime as a whole, however, may not get to that level with how it is currently. Not every Joe or Jane here wants to see lolis with super powers.
>>
>>119470594
I sure fucking hope not. Video games went to shit when they went mainstream.
>>
>>119471764
>implying anime isn't already dogshit
>>
>>119471804
Yes, but it's good shit. The entire industry depending on otaku keeps it safe and there's nothing any pissy bitch can do about it.
>>
>>119471629
The difference is video games became a widespread global thing that could be made in all sorts of ways by anyone. Anime is Japanese media for Japanese and made only for them.
>>
File: 1404223416265.png (50 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
1404223416265.png
50 KB, 128x128
of corsh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPZDBF0kei0
>>
>people on /a/ still think anime is not mainstream
>>
I see a lot of people talk about anime being "big" in the 90s, and yeah, that was true, but it's bigger now than ever by a huge margin. At least, in a different sense. Back then very few people had any idea about any distinctly "Japanese" shows, it was all Ghibli / Ninja Scroll / Biohunter / 3x3 eyes etc. The only real exception being Sailor Moon I guess, but that was targeted for young girls, who were outside the "anime boom" demographic.

But now it seems everyone is pretty well aware of the most popular shows and "otaku" culture as a whole. Nerd culture is now fashionable so you see all kinds of people who've gotten into Bleach, Naruto, etc. over the last few years. The fact that there's a good amount on Netflix now is certainly fueling that as well. The last people who I would expect to watch anime now do, it's fucking crazy.
>>
>>119471629
This. Everyone knows what anime is, but doesn't care because "it's all just a bunch of moeshit instead of cool, epic animes like DBZ or Shitgeki".
>>
File: 1420406613201.jpg (17 KB, 447x444) Image search: [Google]
1420406613201.jpg
17 KB, 447x444
You're implying that anime isn't mainstream already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WawrfHBsCCA
>>
Even if it were, the industry only gives a fuck about what otaku want. And otaku want cute girls and power fantasies.
>>
Anime needs to have better writing before it ever gets more popular.
>>
>>119470594
>K-Pop became mainstream in America for a while.
1 guy became popular because of how silly his music video was. I wouldn't call that K-pop going mainstream in America.
>>
>>119470594
I fucking hope not.
>>
>>119472645
K-shit is what the geek kids consume these days. Anime is for older geeks. It doesn't help that he press shows Japan as a bunch of retarded degenerates while S. Korea is showns as the new cool kids onf Asia.
>>
>>119472193
>Nerd culture is now fashionable
only because the definition of nerd has changed
nerd use to mean someone who has an obsession over an esoteric hobby to the point of being a social pariah.
>>
>>119472758
Has a country ever spend as much in PR as Korea has done until now?
>>
>>119470594
Anime is not mainstream even in Japan
>>
Do Japanese treat all anime like cartoons or something? Do they just mainly watch live action shows?
>>
>>119472758
I wouldn't say the small amount of hipsters who are into K-pop makes it mainstream.
Maybe in your circle of friend K-pop is mildly popular, but seriously, it's extremely unknown in America bar Psy.
>>
>>119470594
You just need one scene or short film on YouTube to go viral, it can't be action.
>>
>>119473143
In my country, K-dramas are aired on TV and K-shitters make concerts.
>>
>>119473024
lol

That's like saying the Simpsons isn't mainstream in america
>>
Literally everyone know what anime is. No one talks about it though, because it's embarrassing to even acknowledge its existence in front of other humans.

Have you ever had a normalfag make a comment about anime to you? They act like it is the most painul and awkward thing they have ever done, just to bring it up in conversation.
>>
>>119473371
Doraemon, Shin-chan and other shows that /a/ don't follow are mainstream. Your seasonal cute girls doing cute shit isn't
>>
>>119473282
What country?
>>
I'm not even sure what the shit they talk about on CNN anymore. News shows are a relic from before there was reliable internet.
>>
>>119473132
I mean anime for kids or ghibli or disney are popular.
and some shonen also.
But the anime as otaku culture like midnight-anime has quite few fans.
>>
>>119472838
Japan should spend some money on PR. When was the last time you heard something positive about Japan on the news?
>>
>>119473421
I talked about Aria with my electromagnetic engineering professor once.
>>
>>119473489
Peru but k-shit is popular in South America in general
>>
>>119473550
I'm pretty sure most people were talking in terms of North America in this thread.
>>
>>119473521
My Multivariable Calc professor recognized my ringtone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_0__wwgY0o
Turns out he's an Asukabro too.
>>
>>119473433
>Doraemon, Shin-chan and other shows that /a/ don't follow are mainstream
That's because they're shit.
>>
>>119473732
Aria is more niche though isn't it?
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.