[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people dislike dubs so much?, I know people say that it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 18
File: ling11_5136.png (110 KB, 268x195) Image search: [Google]
ling11_5136.png
110 KB, 268x195
Why do people dislike dubs so much?, I know people say that it lacks the emotion and all that jazz but I don't see how it could matter much when you have no clue what the characters are saying anyway.
>>
>>119212583
Subs exist for a reason.
>>
Why don't shitposters ever get tired of their unfunny jokes?
>>
Because it's like subs but even more cringe worthy because you hear the crappy translations out loud.
>>
>>119212734
Shitposting huh? I'm legitimately wondering why people are so elitist.
>>
>when you have no clue what the characters are saying anyway.
You do with subs
>>
I would rather watch a show muted than watch its dub.
>>
>>119212583
i think the most recent dub series are fine.
>>
>>119212583
Older series' dubs were so bad it was pathetic.

The problem I have now is that they are actually trying, but watching them fail to deliver a decent dub is even worse.
>>
>>119213094
If they ever make a decent dub by accident I will never find out about it because I see no reason to try the dubs.
They are inferior by design.
Dubbing (not just anime) is a minimal effort exercise. Normal voice acting is not.
>>
>>119212583
Because I cringe every time I hear english VA's dubbing cartoons, they can't into emotions.
>>
>>119213257
http://youtu.be/SQaNDbnpo-s?t=11m12s Thought this bit from FMA Brotherhood was pretty damn good in the English dub, you can tell how angry Roy is.
>>
>>119213407
A good test of a voice is if they can do sadness.
>>
>>119213407
>you can tell how angry Roy is.

Wow, a paid actor can express anger, I'm genuinely amazed and impressed, I'll go watch all dubs from now on
>>
>>119214808

Damn, anon, what did that guy do to you?
>>
>>119215011
I triggered him : ^ )
>>
>>119215098
Don't use emoticons on /a/.
>>
>>119212583
Because as you said, dubs typically have terrible voice acting, and although you cant understand the Japanese being said in subs, you can still hear the emotion and intonation in the voices which adds to thee experience of what you're reading, so voice acting actually does matter.
>>
>>119215128
>not recognizing post-ironic metatrolling.
>>
>>119215192
I know you are not in a mood to apologize or delete your post. My complaint isn't really directed at you. I don't want to leave emoticons be without pointing out they don't belong here because I don't want newfags to adopt them into their normal posting style.

You are still a shitposter of course.
>>
why are all of these responses so fucking stupid?

>>119213484
iirc a majority of the time the japanese iteration of sadness in anime is screaming and tears. not sure how that constitutes a better expression of emotion than dubs.
>>
>>119215265
Thanks for making that clear to us, anon. Can we at least say "lol" because I got yelled at on the internet for it once.
>>
>>119212583
>don't see how it could matter much when you have no clue what the characters are saying anyway
Just because youre an ignorant cunt with his head up his ass doesnt mean everybody else here is.

>>119212932
How about you stop being retarded and stop making the same fucking thread and posting the same replies every time?
>>
>>119215294
Yeah I can't fucking stand intense screaming and tears in place of sadness. Like, who fucking does that?
>>
>>119215294
>not sure how that constitutes a better expression of emotion than dubs.
Not really. Japanese voice actors can't do it very well either. From time to time you find somebody who can actually do it, but usually it's just bad.

That still doesn't change the difference in time put into original voice over vs dub and the difference in directing, the difference in time and effort spent to find fitting voices etc.
>>
>>119212928
>he learns Japanese
>>
>>119215348
Sparingly. You'd better not.
>>
>>119215294
The best Japanese voicework I've seen has complex inflections in voice that can signify the characters emotions well. The best English dub I've heard was overly simple and it sounds like the VAs are trying too hard.
>>
Code geass was better in English. It sounds more mature and fitting to the world it was set in.
>>
>>119212583
Because, no matter how good a dub is, it will still be slightly different than the original Japanese dub in terms of characterization, emotion, and other subtle but important aspects of creating the general gestalt of the show, and when you enjoy a piece of media art you should try to enjoy it in as close to its original intended form as possible.
>>
>>119212932
I enjoy japanese voicework substantially more than anything I've ever heard in a dub. I also learned japanese and am a fanboi of a couple seiyuu.

Either way, dubs just don't exist on release day and for a lot of good shows they never exist.
>>
File: 1418014558735.jpg (20 KB, 421x363) Image search: [Google]
1418014558735.jpg
20 KB, 421x363
>Elitist
I swear, no matter how many times I see this, I'll never be able to properly convey how retarded it is to the person saying it.
>>
How long does it take to learn enough Japanese to understand the chinese cartoons? Because i don't have too much time between watching anime, learning physics, math and programming.

That's why i earn more than most of you all.
>>
>>119215503
But Code Geass was shounen material so the japanese fit. If I want to watch a deeply intriguing or moving show, it wouldn't be Code Geass.
>>
If you enjoy anime, watch it subbed or learn Japanese.
If you prefer western cartoons, watch anime dubbed.
>>
>>119215614
You should give up your profession and pursue true understanding of chinese cartoons
>>
for me it just depends on how i started watching it

like for FMA i watched it in english, then tried watching it in subs and thought it was awful

vice versa with one piece, watched it all subbed, then tried watching the dub version and was disgusted at how bad it was ( it may be good or bad ) but to me seeing the dub first and growing acustom to a certain voice for that character, anything to change it is just awful
>>
>>119215614
Everyone make sure to appreciate how smart this guy is.
>>
>>119215686
anon, you make too much sense - no one will listen to you. Just call 'em all autists, they will respond to that.
>>
>>119215711
Have you watched Durarara in both? Because I think both are fine, except for japanese Haruna, who I hate.
>>
>>119215779
>anon, you make too much sense
No, he doesn't.
>>
"Not liking dubs" is an epic meme at this point.

Anyone who knows shit about cinema knows that subtitles are much more intrusive in regards to the artist's vision than a decent dub.

/a/ edgelords, the armchair anime experts, will go on and on about patrician and pleb but they really don't know what they're talking about. In reality subtitles completely distort the color balance shown on the screen as well as what portions of the screen the creator wants you to be focused on.

Even if you place black bars around the screen where your subtitles will appear, you are completely ruining the artist's vision.

The bottom line is that dubs are patrician and subs are pleb. If there is a dub available, you use it.
>>
DBZ is the only anime I've watched where I like the dub better than sub.
>>
File: 1399373609638.jpg (12 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1399373609638.jpg
12 KB, 400x225
>>119215840
>He can't read the subs within less than a second
>This is actually bait
You got me
>>
>>119215840
>epic meme
I just realized something. "Epic" means long in a sense, and we start sarcastically calling things "epic meme" after they've been around for a long time.
>>
>>119215711
I tried watching GitS dubbed, and I thought that every voice was at least decent except Major's. Major's dub VA was so bad that I had to switch to Japanese in the middle of the movie.
>>
>>119215895
If you had taken the first line in the context of the rest of the text, you'd have noticed that he just wrote down a bunch of nonsense in order to grab a few easy replies.
>>
>>119215840
>If there is a dub available, you use it.
Mom, stop following me on my chinese cartoon board.
>>
>>119215831
oh yeah? how so?
>>
>>119215997
because the things he talks about don't really correlate to each other.
>>
File: hidden fortess.jpg (83 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
hidden fortess.jpg
83 KB, 600x800
>>119215840
>Anyone who knows shit about cinema knows that subtitles are much more intrusive in regards to the artist's vision than a decent dub.
Yeah, that's why all the best foreign films all have English dubs. You know, because film experts wouldn't watch it any other way.
>>
>>119215400
nobody, that's the point i was trying to make. there's a difference between sadness and anguish. japanese VAs usually have a hard time distinguishing between the two.
>>
>>119216055
>English VAs usually have a hard time distinguishing between the two.
FTFY
>>
>>119215946
i liked the Major's dub, it sounded sexy and mature
>>
>>119216099
i never said they didn't, at least in this particular medium.

--which is the issue, this IS a japanese medium, they should try a little harder to accurately convey emotions, otherwise we get shit like anohana.
>>
>>119215946
this may just my opinion but, i'm more drawn to the subs now simply because i think the voice actors they choose (most of the time) usually fit the character better imo
>>
>>119216204
It sounded 2coo4scoo to me.
>>
>>119216042
Shut up, nerd
>>
The problem with the sub vs dub argument is that most of the people who "hate dubs" don't really have the right to speak out against dubs, specifically because they don't use dubs, they instantly get subbed versions and say shit like >>119213029 .

Yeah, 20 years ago 99% of dubs were utter shit, and even now some dubs are bad. The people who were convinced all dubs were bad 20 (or 10 or 5)years ago probably haven't tried to watch any dubs in the past 20 (or 10 or 5) years, so they don't have any recent experience and are basically talking of their anonymous asses.

I usually use dubs when they're available for newer shows, the only times I've recently tried to watch a dub and hated it were Higurashi and Watamote. As someone who actually watches a lot of subtitled shows AND dubbed shows, I can say that personally it is much harder to get immersion when I watch a show I have to read.
>>
>>119216730
Fuck off back to leddit
>>
>>119216730
Man, I bet you've seen a lot of anime. Like, 20 whole anime.

Seriously, though, dubs are almost always inferior to the original. Even if they've improved, no way an imitation would beat the original.
>>
>>119216881
>cowboy bebop
>>
>>119217055
What show did Cowboy Bebop copy?
>>
>>119216829
Nice meme there, bucko. You make the most meaningful, thread-contributing posts.

Anyway, I like dubs. I don't give a fuck how much "better" Japanese voice actors supposedly are, I don't understand Japanese so I don't have a reason to not pick dubs unless a specific voice actor in a show is godawful (but this happens with Jap VA too).
Why would I watch a show if I spend 90% of the time reading the dialogue instead of looking at the art? If the dialogue is that good I'd rather read a book, and if the art is worthless why would I watch the anime?
>>
>Not knowing enough Japanese to get the gist of what the characters are saying with or without subs
Japanese is 85% common phrases like "arigatou gozaimasu" or "doushio." If you can watch 5 subbed anime without picking up at least some of them, then you must be stupid as hell. As for dubs, I don't watch them unless I know for a fact decent actors are involved, or for nostalgia.
>>
>>119216042
>that's why all the best foreign films all have English dubs. You know, because film experts wouldn't watch it any other way.

It's not the only reason, but it's certainly one reason. All professional film critics watch foreign films with a dub.
>>
dubfags please fuck off back to /co/ toonami general
>>
>>119217215
>I know. The best is subtitled DVDs.
http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/finding-my-own-voice
>>
>>119217254

lmfao, epic #dubfags #btfo #shotsfired
>>
I don't hate dubs, but I can't watch them. For me when I watch anime I expect it to be in Japanese. A part of the fun is hearing Japanese, watching in English takes me out of the experience no matter how good a dub is. I've seen a couple shows and some Miyazaki movies dubbed and I plan to rewatch them in Japanese on my own so I can see how they compared.
>>
File: kaiki-on-real-vs-fake-1.jpg (116 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kaiki-on-real-vs-fake-1.jpg
116 KB, 1280x720
>>119216881
Why is an English dub instantly an imitation? 2 different directors picked 2 different VA sets, neither one made the animation they dub over. Also, Kaiki in Monogatari argues that imitations can easily beat the original if they try hard, and that fits well here.
>>
>>119217324
I can understand this with shows that are heavily "Japanese", like Magical Girl shows. This can work the other way though, I think shows like Baccano sound much better with English VA since they are English characters in an English setting.
>>
>>119217428
I still think Baccano sounds better in Japanese. I got nothing against the dub for it but I enjoy it more in Japanese.
I guess I just really like the way the language sounds, but I wouldn't ever watch something made outside of Japan in Japanese as that would sound just as off.
>>
File: 1338705746703.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1338705746703.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
>>119217215
>All professional film critics watch foreign films with a dub.
>>
>>119217337
English dubs are bad because anime dub voice actors are basically cartoon voice actor rejects. If anime was dubbed by actually talented voice actors then that would be a different story.
>>
>>119217428
>I accept inferior acting because their accents sort of fit the setting more

Great man, congrats. Doesn't mean dubs are good, and doesn't mean you should admit to watching them, or post about them.
>>
When you read a book written by a non-English speaker do you read the translation or buy a discount book on tape read by some failed videogame VA?

I rest my case.
>>
>>119216042
The fact that a dub exists does not mean that it is good, or popular. Dubs exist for people who are too stupid to read, but still want to watch a movie from another country
>>
>>119216730
Wow, you're a fucking idiot. Dubs are actually worse today than they used to be a couple years back because the same fucking actors get reused over and over. Even worse, you've got shitstains like Vic Mignogna and Spike Spencer who get an ego and become overacting faggots because of that who don't play the part, they just play themselves playing a part. They're like fucking Tom Cruise. Dub actors like Steve Blum who get typecast but are at least pretty good at what they do are still a rarity.

I'd take the mediocre early-mid 2000s dubs with unknowns or even the types of early dubs like Cyber City Oedo which are just filled with action movie cursing over the awful job they do today.

Not all dubs are shit, but I've very rarely heard a dub that was actually any good.
>>
>>119217337
>, neither one made the animation they dub over
That's where you're kinda wrong. Anime studios usually work closely with VAs. The director of the anime and sometimes the author of the original work are both involved in casting.

Meanwhile foreign language dubs just throw together whoever they have, usually the same 7 or so people and a few extras to fill in bit parts their main crew don't feel like voicing.
>>
>>119217631
You don't get sarcasm, do you?
>>
>>119217428
>they are English characters in an English setting.

Really? Pretty sure most of the cast are Immortals from 300 years ago with Italian or Latin sounding names. Why are they English characters exactly?
>>
Kodocha was had a good dub, the humor came across well.
>>
>>119217569
You're right, it doesn't make sense to admit watching shows in English on an English website made for people to converse in English.
>>
>>119217809
Why does the fact that you speak English mean you can't watch a movie without editing to make it more American?
>>
>>119217724
Poe's law. Dubfags are the creationists of the Annie-May world.
>>
>Watch Cowboy Bebop dubbed
Works pretty well, setting is very western, characters aren't Japanese anway
>Watch K-on dubbed
Makes no fucking sense, the yen prices of things are changed to dollars, why are these extremely Japanese people in Tokyo speaking English, etc.

Context is key
>>
>>119213407
While for the most part Brotherhood's sub was FAR better than it's dub, the dub did have some phenomenal scenes. The final confrontation between Wrath and Scar was exceptionally well written and performed, and I found it more impactful than in the sub.
>>
>>119217949
>characters aren't Japanese anyway

Oh yeah, I forgot, they're all explicitly stated to be native English speakers. Because space belongs to America right?
>>
>>119217865
Why does localizing something count as editing, but putting subtitles over the show and it's art doesn't?
Also, I never said anything about making things more American. A lot of countries have English as a primary or secondary language, not just America.
>>
File: 1416331507935.png (344 KB, 470x540) Image search: [Google]
1416331507935.png
344 KB, 470x540
>>119217809

Subtitles are in English, plus you actually get to hear the proper VA work too so it's the best of both worlds. You also forget that /a/ is populated with 16-30 year old anime fans while dubs only exist to cater to the needs of children, people with eye problems or retards unwilling or unable to read subtitles.
>>
>>119217949
>Context is key

Not really. If the voice acting is better, you go with that. And because 99% of the time the dub isn't even in the same league as the original Japanese voice acting, you go with the sub 99% of the time.
>>
>>119217988
>changing voices, dialogue, plot, and sometimes music is the same as small subtitles at the bottom of the screen

Fucking jesus you are delusional. Make whatever excuses you want, just fuck off somewhere else if you want to jerk off about dub VAs with your gaia friends.
>>
>You can't understand Japanese so you don't know they're doing a bad job! I know they're doing a bad job because someone said so!
>You just like the sub because you're a weeaboo who is blind and likes only Japanese things, even if you claim you always watch the original in all forms of media no matter what country it was originally made in!
>Reading takes my focus off the animation because my eyes are damaged in a way that prevents me from seeing the entire TV at once somehow!
>English fits the setting better so you should watch the dub, even though I watch a million American movies set in foreign countries and they speak English the entire time!
>Anime is shit anyway, a bad dub is better because it fits how bad anime is!
>>
>A lot of dub acting is mediocre at best
>A lot of Japanese voices are grating and annoying
>Both sound pretty bad a majority of the time for one reason or another
>>
Because the english voice actors are generally terrible.
>>
>>119217939
But most foreign films don't have English dubs.
>>
File: bitch I will fuck you up.jpg (22 KB, 359x507) Image search: [Google]
bitch I will fuck you up.jpg
22 KB, 359x507
Why don't you just watch it how it is? Why do you try to change shit? There's no legitimate reason to watch anything dubbed, or watch anything with changed music or dialogue or plot or anything, just watch the original of whatever you're trying to watch.

The only reason to watch a dub is being a child, or being illiterate. That is it.
>>
>>119217997
Dubs don't cater to people who like to multitask or to people who like to appreciate art?
Sometimes I put a show I don't care a lot about on in the background while I do something else, like fix up my shitty car. I can listen to a dub and understand 95% of what's going on, with a sub I'd get maybe 10% from sound effects and the few words and phrases I know.
Watching a 1080p show on a huge TV doesn't make much sense to me if I limit myself to a small line near the bottom most of the time.

I like subbed shows too, I think the only people who are "wrong" are those who insist every dub is terrible and never worth watching, or those who insist every dub is perfect and worth watching. /a/ gets too many trolls who love to post how "Only my way is the right way!"
>>
>>119218142
>Japanese voices are annoying
Why do people say this?
>>
>>119218142
Why are you even here if you hate both?
>>
>>119218258
So your argument is

>dubs are good if you aren't watching it
>dubs are good because my eyes are damaged and I don't have vision like normal humans.

Really convincing there champ. The best arguments for dubs being good is if you literally ARE NOT WATCHING IT
>>
>>119218038
Who said every dub changes the plot? For every (rare) dub that changes the music, there is one that doesn't change the dialogue ever outside of correctly translating it.
>>
>>119218258
>Watching a 1080p show on a huge TV doesn't make much sense to me if I limit myself to a small line near the bottom most of the time.

what the fuck is wrong with your eyes?
>>
File: 1353130077777.png (16 KB, 285x281) Image search: [Google]
1353130077777.png
16 KB, 285x281
>>119218258
>multitask

This always seemed fucking retarded to me. If you're going to watch anime, watch the fucking anime. If you're not interested enough to actually look at it while watching it, why are you bothering to use precious HDD space and time to download it? And there's something wrong with your vision if you can only focus on the subtitles with a huge TV.

Fucking dubfags.
>>
ITT: people who read too slowly to keep up with an average conversation subtitled
>>
File: dead.jpg (236 KB, 1278x1657) Image search: [Google]
dead.jpg
236 KB, 1278x1657
>>119218142
>hating fun
kill urself
>>
>>119218338
My question is why the fuck bother? Why watch a dub knowing it MIGHT change something? Just watch the original, it's RIGHT THERE. There is absolutely no reason to watch the dub.

If you don't care if the plot changes or the dialogue changes then why even bother arguing that dubs are good? Every argument is just an excuse, not a legitimate reason that they're good in any way.
>>
>>119218367
Nothing, I don't even need glasses. Eyes are made to focus on one point, try reading a book withing moving your focus across the line as you read. Shows are primarily a visual medium, good shows will have a spot the viewer is intended to look at. If you're reading subs then you aren't looking at the show.
I like subs too, but they aren't as immersive as good dubs are.
>>
File: 1344495438021.png (52 KB, 180x240) Image search: [Google]
1344495438021.png
52 KB, 180x240
>>119216881
Explain further.
>>
>>119218419
Not every show is "good", some shows I don't really care about but still want to check out. Ghost Stories was an ok show dubbed, but I'd never sit down and devote half a day to watching it, whether it was subbed or dubbed.
>>
>>119218463
>If you're reading subs then you aren't looking at the show.

I mean I guess that's true if you're mentally challenged or something? But then why are you talking to me if you're that stupid? How can 99% of people watch things with subtitles and still see the rest of the screen then?

>>119218538
Again, the argument boils down to "Dubs are good because I don't care about quality". If that's true then why the fuck are you arguing? If you didn't care then you wouldn't care enough to try to argue that they're good.
>>
>>119218455
My question is why the fuck bother. Why watch a sub knowing it MIGHT change something? Just remove the subs and watch the original, it's RIGHT THERE. There is absolutely no reason to watch the sub.
If you don't care if the plot changes or the dialogue changes then why even bother arguing that subs are good? Every argument is just an excuse, not a legitimate reason that they're good in any way.
>>
>>119218463
What exactly are you doing when you read subtitles, jesus christ

Do you crawl to the bottom of your television and put your hands around the subs so you can't see the rest of the screen or something? Reading a single line should take an instant. Are you just staring at the bottom of the screen like some sort of drooling monkey?
>>
>>119218571
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo
watch this shit, see if you get the perfect answer without cheating. Most people who legit attempt this fail the test, proving that you don't focus on more than 1 point at a time. You might not "miss" the show, but you'll fail to notice a lot of shit if you're reading.
>>
>>119218612
>subs changing things
>not being accurate to a fault, to the point that it sounds weird
>implying this is not preferable to a change in the dialogue
>>
>>119218463
>I don't even need glasses
>I've seen two subbed shows and I couldn't handle them so I watch dubs instead

I'm a fucking newfag and even i know you're full of shit. You literally need to be legally retarded if you actively need to focus on reading the subs instead of just automatically doing it in an instant.

>>119218612
That point isn't valid, because if you've seen enough anime you can piece together the Japanese to see if it corresponds with the subs. I can tell when a line is changed because I can hear it being spoken. Dub scripts take huge fucking deviations from the original, because it's someone else's interpretation. Fuck, it's taken Funimation almost 3 years to redo the dub of 3.0 because they changed so much shit.
>>
>>119218612
Wow, you found the copy paste function, congratulations.It took you that long to paste that in the text box and hit submit?

Were any of those precious minutes spent actually thinking about what you were posting or did you just vomit it out onto your screen hoping it would make sense?

OBVIOUSLY watching it raw is better. Are you expecting me to say that it's not? It's like reading a book. Obviously it's better to read it in the original language. But if you don't know the language, the next best thing is a translation with minimal deviation from the original.

Now which is more of a deviation from the original, raw anime episode. Subtitles translating the dialogue? Or a completely different voice actor speaking lines that have been translated, rewritten, and tweaked to accommodate character/plot changes?

I'll give you a few minutes to think about it.
>>
>>119212583

Well for starters, I know Japanese so there's no real reason for me to choose a dub over the original. In my experience, all the dubs I've seen have seriously fucked up the tone for a lot of scenes, I really don't know why anyone would choose to watch them especially with how easy it is to get subs these days.
>>
>>119218706
I remember seeing this years ago, but I think my brain has been trained by years of reading subtitles because it was so fucking obvious when the gorilla guy walked in. I think it must be a skill you acquire over time, like everything else.
>>
>>119213221
Yeah, no.
Aside from translation, a dubbing staff has to carefully (if they're being professional) rephrase and rearrange each line to fit recognizable western speech patterns and match the exact lip movement. It can be extremely hard work and it pisses me off to see people shit on it like it's the lowest of jobs.
>>
>>119218706
If you're trying to say that the video is the same as reading subtitles then you are actually mentally challenged. A single line should take you, AGAIN, an instant to read. Reading subtitles should not require concentration or conscious effort. If it does, you're stupid. End of story.

What you should experience is hearing the dialogue, and "knowing" what they're saying because you've read the accompanying line in the subtitles. It is not normal for an intelligent adult to actually have to exert effort to read a line of dialogue on a screen.
>>
>>119218804
Who said I watch dubs that change characters or the plot? A simple google search will let you know if a specific dub changes the plot, so you can avoid them.
Again, you're instantly assuming every sub is faithful but every dub is not, which is inherently wrong.
>>
>>119218873
Too bad all that rearranging makes the dialogue sound retarded.
>>
>>119218873
>to fit recognizable western speech patterns and match the exact lip movement.

They change the script, and they do a piss poor job of it. I remember hating anime for years because I didn't like that the mouths didn't match up with the words. There's literally no reason to watch a dub when subs are fucking everywhere.
>>
File: what.png (7 KB, 69x86) Image search: [Google]
what.png
7 KB, 69x86
>>119218856
>>119218706
Is this a joke or something? I'm not supposed to notice the really obvious guy in the gorilla suit walking straight through the frame?
>>
>ITT: Retards sputter and choke trying to justify watching an inferior version of something because they can't handle reading subtitles
>>
>>119217635
>implying it isn't directors not actors that make for a shit dub.
>>
>>119218938
But no one can give an actual reason to watch a dub over a sub.

You can argue that maybe the quality of one is okay, but besides "dubs are good because I don't have to watch the show" like this retard >>119218258, what is an actual reason to watch a dub?
>>
>>119218961
You keep referring to "they". There are a lot of unrelated people who dub shows, and not every single one will change the scripts with a "piss poor job".
>>
We're getting to a point where creators look at dubs and outright endorse them, if not saying the final product is better than what they themselves put out.

You're all jaded because of amateur 90s dubs of 10 year old shows and anime like Pokemon that wouldn't have good voice acting even if it were made in the USA because it's for children and they don't care.

Even Shonenshit eventually worked the kinks out and ended up getting good casts and high quality dubbing.
>>
>>119218873
Just because something is difficult doesn't mean the final product is worthwhile.
>>
>>119218938
You're acting like the original is inherently superior, which demonstrates an understanding of art so archaic that Caravaggio is calling you old fashioned.
>>
>>119215853
Goku's japanese voice is so fucking annoying and the latin dub is perfect
>>
>>119212583
>not understanding what a person is saying means you can't hear the emotion in their voice
>being this fucking dense
>>
>>119218997
As the other poster said, maybe people who watch subs for years get used to not focusing on things.
If you seriously try the "test", you'll have a high chance of failing, according to the collected data.
>>
>>119219059
>if not saying the final product is better than what they themselves put out.

I'd love any evidence of this, because of all the years I've read this, not a single person has every been able to produce an actual source for this. I've looked for this and never been able to find anything.
>>
>>119219059
>We're getting to a point where creators look at dubs and outright endorse them, if not saying the final product is better than what they themselves put out.

I can't wait to hear all the examples of these.
>>
>>119218961

I can't remember the last time I watched a dub and they had to actively change the content of a scene just because of mouth flaps. Examples?
>>
>>119213257

Strange, I like dubs more because I like the way emotions are expressed in English more than in Japanese. And some shows, the dub takes a less literal translation than the sub, actually properly articulating what is happening and telling jokes that a native English speaker would laugh at.

But I'm sure there's shows out there with absolute garbage dub translations, where the subs are the better choice. And if the dub voice actors are worse than the japanese voice actors, or the sound isn't edited well, then I can also understand preferring the sub.
>>
>>119219087
I posted in this thread already that fakes can surpass the original, with the Kaiki quote image. I was replying to someone who was using "original is better" as their excuse, and giving the appropriate response.
>>
>>119218912
I dunno, considering most people are missing visual details in shows where they actually mean something. Christ the amount of visual cues people miss in G reco is obscene.
>>
>>119218997
When I was in high school, we actually saw this shit in class. I actually didn't notice the guy in the gorilla suit back then.

Big difference between the test and reading subs is, you can read a line of subs almost instantly if you're not retarded and go back to looking at the whole of the picture. The test has you focus on the ball in multiple places over an extended period of time continuously. Reading a line of subs in anime and comparing it to that test is just a false equivalence. The phenomenon in the video is absolutely real however. I don't think anyone in my high school class at the time noticed what happened.
>>
>>119219219
god you're so reasonble
>>
Some dubs are not bad.

FMA: Brotherhood, for example, had a pretty good dub, and I'm sure there are others.
>>
>>119219261
I didn't watch the video to the end, but I honestly didn't realize that was the test until that anon posted that. I saw the gorilla guy and I thought he was supposed to be just a distraction so you lost count.
>>
After observing this thread, I believe I can summarize it in one sentence:
"A FEW DUBBED ANIME I SAW WERE KIND OF SHITTY SO DUBBING IS THE WORST THING EVER".
That about right?
>>
>>119219389
If completely absolving yourself of any need to actually participate in any discussion and just boiling an entire thread down to CAPS LOCK MAKES ME LOOK SMART makes you feel smarter, then sure.
>>
>>119219389
Yeah. A lot of people refuse to take the "risk" that a dub will be bad, so they always get subs. I always at least try the dubs, and end up switching to subs if I come across a voice I hate or generally don't like the voices. I like some dubs, but find subs completely watchable too. I just don't know why people act like it's all or nothing, and I have to pick a side or go away.
>>
>>119219389
No, that statement is fucking retarded and so are you.
>>
>>119219389
More like I've only seen 2 good TV dubs in my life
>>
>>119219486
Because there is no reason to watch a dub. I don't even consider it because why? What exactly would make me think "I should watch this in a completely different language"? I literally do not understand why I would want to do that.
>>
>>119219448
I take it attacking the style of my comment is an indication that the point is legitimate and you're just pissed off?
>>
>>119219554
You didn't make a point though
>>
>>119219554
Not that guy, but you pretty much sounded like a 12 year old, so no.
>>
>>119217569
weeaboo justice warrior

ghost stories dub > sub
>>
>>119219522
That's fine, as long as you aren't one of the posters complaining that every dub is shit and not worth watching.
Not watching dubs is OK.
Complaining about dubs when you don't ever watch them is NOT ok.

Feel free to complain about a specific dub if you've seen it, but don't generalize and say "every dub sucks" unless you've tried hundreds of dubs, including the "popular" ones.
>>
>>119219645
99% of dubs suck. There is no getting around it. 99% of dubs are fucking terrible and you can't even see it.
>>
File: nixon.jpg (77 KB, 960x674) Image search: [Google]
nixon.jpg
77 KB, 960x674
>>119219645
Some much needed logic
>>
>>119219598
>>119219598
The point is that the majority of people on this thread are generalizing....yes, like 12 year olds.
>>
>>119219645
But complaining about it is okay. Because there is no logical reason to watch a re-dub of something that already exists in a format that is completely consumable and is in fact closer to the original creation by the original creators.

Maybe, MAYBE, there are some acceptable dubs. But that shit isn't for here. Why? Because dubs primarily cater to casuals and people with shit taste. It's a fact. People who watch dubs are usually the people who are 5 years late to watch something that we've all already finished talking about. Or they're the people who won't watch a show until it's dubbed. That is absolute cancer. I don't want to hear about how you and your reddit buddies streamed some dubbed sailor moon last night.

If you're going to watch a dub then just watch it. Don't post about it, because you'll be attacked, rightfully so. It's the same with streaming. I don't give a fuck if you do it, I really don't. But posting about it means that the other shitheads who spend their days streaming dubbed Naruto and posting on Gaia will think "Wow, /a/ is just like me!"
>>
>>119219780
>But complaining about it is okay. Because there is no logical reason to watch a re-dub of something that already exists in a format that is completely consumable and is in fact closer to the original creation by the original creators.

Because you enjoy it more?

You're making that mistake about assuming that art is always best in it's original form, you sound like someone who would be up in arms about everyone who's "listening to this fuck up of the original artists vision" in reference to all along the watchtower.
>>
>>119219702
Wow, you've personally watched 99% of dubs? That's cool, I didn't know anybody had that much free time. Thanks, anime expert, now I know better.
>>
>>119219780
I'm not sure if you noticed, but this isn't a "subbed anime board", this is an "anime board". That includes dubs, and even streamed anime. I would never stream because I like having a high quality copy, but there is nothing inherently wrong with streaming.
>>
The one fucking Dub I could ever stand and still enjoy the show was Cowboy Bebiop.

Kids sounded like kids, not 30 year old women trying to sound cute and 13 yearold MCs trying to sound like an ebic mad cunt.
>>
>>119219842
You're reaching now. And I really don't care. I don't care that you want to blow Crispin Freeman or whatever his name is. I don't think anyone here wants to hear you argue about how great dubs are, because of all the things I put in my post. There is no reason to watch a dub if you can read, period. If you think that it's better to watch the dub of K-on while sucking on your official Steve Blum dildo then go ahead, just don't fucking post about it.
>>
>>119219059
>one westaboo hack says that the dub is better because nobody in Japan gave a fuck about his show

That's literally the only example I've ever heard. You're forgetting that most people here aren't saying you can't enjoy a dub, they're saying that a dub will always be inferior. Which is true. There's no reason to choose the dub over the sub unless you're rewatching the show and feel like checking it out.
>>
>>119219941
I liked how they did the accents, too. Not a lot of dubs include that.
>>
>>119219843
Come back to reality, anon. Good dubs are so rare that people are still using Cowboy Bebop, a show from 1998, as the best example.
>>
>>119219937
You didn't read anything I said.

>>119219957
If you're talking about Bebop then you're retarded. Go look up the sales figures for the blu-ray re-release in Japan.
>>
>>119219954
But that's not what I'm doing, I'm chastising you're bullshit view of art.

"There's no reason to listen to Hendrix's cover of all along the watch tower, Bob Dylan's version still exists" yes an extreme example but it's the same shit.
>>
>>119220016
But see, those are two different things. A cover is an interpretation by a different person, under different circumstances. It's a performance, which may purposefully change things because it's an interpretation.

A dubs job is to accurately portray what the original actors are saying. It's supposed to be the same show, just in English so stupid people can watch. If you look at a dub as a "cover" of something then you're absolutely ridiculous.
>>
>>119219954
>And I really don't care
then why the fuck did you reply
>>
I wonder if Japanese people feel the same about their own anime voice actors as non-Japanese people feel about dubs?
>>
>>119219994
It pretty much is just that, and Ghost Stories if you're not taking accuracy into account. Even then Cowboy Bebop is the "perfect storm" for a good dub. The exception, not the rule for dub quality.
>>
>>119220188
I'd ask the exact same thing of anyone who defends dubs or streaming with "I don't care about quality"
>>
>>119220005
>hurr durr it's popular now that it's been circlejerked to death for the last fifteen years

Watanabe has such a fucking hard-on for the West. You're retarded if you can't realize that Bebop's success and acclaim comes from westerners watching it, because it's very normalfag and casual friendly.
>>
>>119220228
Did you look at the sales figures or did you just see that I replied and not actually read what I said?
>>
>>119219994
People still use Evangelion, an anime from 1995, as the best example of anime. Does that mean all anime is shit?

People still use the Mona Lisa, a painting from the early 1500s, as an example of one of the best artistic portraits. Does that mean all portraits are shit?
>>
>>119220016
But you're talking about Jimi Hendrix reworking a whole song, not some random braindead left handed nigger who got thrown a few dimes to imitate his specific version of the song

Dub actors are mediocre at best and the people who organize them probably do not even have souls
>>
>>119220228
OH GOD, the west! Don't mention the possibility of...(gasp) outside influences! I'll melt like the Wicked Witch!
>>
>>119220228

Cowboy Bebop *8,648 (9, not including compilations, BOXes, and fan disc) (Sunrise/Bandai Entertainment)
1998/12/18-1999/02/25 **N/A* 1st Session-3rd Session (Three episodes up to 8th Session)
1999/03/25 *6,894 4th Session
1999/04/25 *7,694 5th Session
1999/05/25 *7,481 6th Session
1999/06/25 *8,904 7th Session
1999/07/25 11,085 8th Session
1999/08/25 *9,830 9th Session (Two episodes)
2001/07/25 *7,602 the Compilation 1 (Three omnibus episodes up to Compilation 2)
2001/09/25 *6,917 the Compilation 2
2004/12/23 23,142 5.1ch DVD-BOX (Twenty-six episodes)
2005/01/28 *5,679 Extra Session (Fan Disc)
2008/02/22 *5,162 DVD-BOX(Twenty-six episodes)
2012/12/21 16,055 Blu-ray BOX Limited Edition (Twenty-six episodes)
2012/12/21 *1,332 Blu-ray BOX Standard Edition

>>119220288
You post like you're 12
>>
File: 1373885415341.gif (159 KB, 200x280) Image search: [Google]
1373885415341.gif
159 KB, 200x280
>>119220228
>nobody cares about the show in japan
>but they do, look at the numbers,
>OH THATS ONLY AFTER IT'S BEEN CIRCLEJERKED IT'S A SHIT ANIME WHY ARENT YOU AS ESOTERIC AS I AM

The sad thing is when you post your 3x3 I imagine it has something like Evangelion or FLCL on it.
>>
>>119220095
No it isn't your understanding of basic translation and localisation theory is so ass backwards that I don't even know where to fucking begin.

>>119220272
you're literally just saying "YOU MUST BE THIS GOOD TO BE CONSIDERED" which is the kind of crap that people stopped believing after people realise Baroque was literally just people self-fellating.
>>
>>119220356
You sound like a crazy person
>>
>>119220327
Only retarded attentionwhores post 3x3s. My point was that it was far more popular in the West, and the director loves the West. He said that a bunch of directors are saying the dubs are better, and I mentioned the only director I've ever heard say that.

You idiots still haven't mentioned any others.
>>
>>119220322
Not familiar with dickish sarcasm, are you? Appeals to all ages.
>>
yeah? but what about these dubs? check 'em
>>
>>119220356
But you do have to be good to be considered, dumbass. The real world might be just outside your door right now, but that's how it works.
>>
>>119220417
No, you post like a 12 year old

>OH GOD
>(gasp)
>...
>exclamation points everywhere
>>
sorry m8
>>
>>119220415
No, your point was that it's not popular in Japan, which in inherently false. Even when it was airing it was selling pretty well.
>>
>>119220467
That isn't how it works, anyone above a threshold (that dub studios are far beyond) is considered to be a thing, this is why we have like 8 translations of some books. Each translation is a slightly different interpretation in many ways, and that makes them a unique piece of work which you're fully allowed to like more or less and it isn't any lesser. The first is not always the best.
>>
>>119219059
>anime like Pokemon that wouldn't have good voice acting even if it were made in the USA because it's for children and they don't care.
Daily reminder that this is the exact opposite of the truth and even MLP has a better voice cast than your favorite anime dub
>>
>>119220417
>I was only pretending to be retarded!
>>
>>119220571
>I'm allowed to have my own opinion and it is impossible for an opinion to be wrong
>Your opinion of my opinion is wrong
>>
>>119220571
Whatever man, I told you that if you want to suck Steve Blum's cock you can, just stop shitposting about it on /a/. Reddit loves it way more there, you wouldn't have to deal with smart people or logic.
>>
>>119218265
JapGoku and damn near every Shonen lead sounds is voiced by an old screeching hag. And it fucking shows.
>>
>>119220636
Why the fuck would you watch a shounen show?
>>
>>119220615
Your "opinion" isn't an opinion, it's generalisation of things based on past experience and a stance which can be summed up as "m-muh original"

>>119220623
hahahaha good joke.
>>
>>119220547
>We're getting to a point where creators look at dubs and outright endorse them, if not saying the final product is better than what they themselves put out

In response to that, I listed the only example I knew of, while pointing out that he's biased both because he likes the West and because Cowboy Bebop was crazy popular in the West, more so than Japan. I still haven't gotten another example from anyone.
>>
underage elitist fedora wearing weaboos

they just dont know whats better so they repeat what le oldfags say
>>
>>119220571
>that dub studios are far beyond
[citation needed]
>>
>>119220712
The average dub advocator, everyone. Crossboarding shitheads who have no better argument than to spout out buzzwords.
>>
>>119212583
You don't know how bad anglo dubbing sounds if you're not anglo. Even the new supposedly 'good' ones.

YOU DON'T KNOW.

I'll take moon language any day, I may not understand jack shit without subs but just the thought that the high pitched KUSOOOOOS are something the director personally approved makes it acceptable.
>>
>>119220712
basement-dwelling dub watching normalfags

they don't know how to shut up about how other people do things so they think they're entitled to telling others their opinions
>>
>>119220653
Because I like mindless fun to dull the pain of life in a dead in job. And networks television shows it more, plus its easier for me just to watch the subs if a show has actually caught my interest.
>>
>>119218265
*LE KAWAII UGUU SOUNDS INTENSIFY*

It's because people are faggots, anon
>>
Because they usually sound like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya570uUgQNc
>>
>>119220833
This is one of the arguments that makes the least sense to me, along with "I can't focus on the screen when I'm looking at subs"

Why the fuck are normalfags watching this shit and then bitching about the voices? Japanese is literally the only asian langauge that doesn't sound like shit, and it's less cringey than english because most people aren't native japanese speakers.
>>
>>119220931
>hating on chinese

you're a pretty major league homosexual.
>>
>>119220951
I didn't say that they were all equal, I just said that Japanese is the only pleasing-sounding one. Chinese just sounds like "ching chong ping pong" shit.
>>
>>119221011
I do not think you have given the language enough of a chance. It takes some getting used to due to the way that you have to put emphasis on specific parts of a word, but once you do it's actually quite nice.
>>
>>119220225
If we could take people like you, put them in a room for 3 months with a TV and every english dubbed anime in existence, I wonder what would happen. Kept adequately fed and watered, of course, but surely you don't plan on just jerking off and singing for entertainment, do you?
>>
>>119221011
I'll give you chinese but Korean is actually pretty good, or at least turning into emotive white noise
>>
>>119212583
Subs sound good because almost none of us understand Japanese, so even the most poorly written lines and bad voice acting will sound amazing.

Some dubs are very deserving of being shit on, mostly due to bad/poorly-cast voice actors.

Not always the voice actors' faults, of course; sometimes Nips just have shitty writing that isn't noticeable to people who can't speak Japanese, but is very noticeable once the cringe-worthy lines are spoken in English (Evangelion, while my favorite series is the example sticking out in my head the most of a dub that is cringe-worthy due to some of the lines that the voice actors couldn't possibly deliver well in English).

And then there are the dubs that include not just translation but a Westernization of the entire series (removal of content potentially offensive to Western, especially American, audiences; rice balls becoming "donuts"; etc.), a rampant problem in series adapted for Western children's television (the original Sailor Moon dub arguably being the worst offender).
>>
>>119221118
"Dubbed anime is better than being imprisoned in a box without any entertaiment"

Your argument.
>>
>>119220931
>Japanese is literally the only asian langauge that doesn't sound like shit
You ought to give South Korean a try, anon, their moonspeak is some smooth shit.
>>
>>119221176
>evangelion dub
I tried watching that once, to see how dub voices stacked up against the original.
Is lip-syncing a monotone voice harder or something?
>>
>>119221176
>almost none of us understand Japanese

Stop projecting, I've been watching anime for less than a year now and I can still understand most common words and phrases if I happen to turn off the subs for a line or two.
>>
File: smirk (1).jpg (149 KB, 565x575) Image search: [Google]
smirk (1).jpg
149 KB, 565x575
>mfw 日本語で分かっている
>>
>>119217092
>Spend 90% of time reading dialogue
A true autist.
No one understands Japanese at first, newfag. Get your powerlevel up watching subs and come back later.
>>
>>119221354
are you honestly going to say that means you have any idea about the language?
>>
>>119220779
>they don't know how to shut up about how other people do things so they think they're entitled to telling others their opinions
You are doing exactly this.
>>
I wouldn't watch a dub of any non-English language film or TV series.
>>
>>119221432
No, I'm saying that even a retard can have some understanding of the language and realize why it's superior to dubs.
>>
>>119221065
I hear it on a regular basis, for years now, and I still think that Chinese is the worst sounding language I've ever had to listen to.
>>
I'm sick of that "with subs you have to concentrate on reading" bullshit. Anyone who isn't a total drooling retard can both look at the action on-screen and read the subtitles in a fraction of a second.
Yes, I'm mad.
>>
I personally only really enjoy the FLCL, FMA, Cowboy Bebop and TTGL dubs.
>>
>>119221197
but there was no argument
>>
>>119221509
My condolences on your taste.

>>119221478
They can't be superior or inferior, just -different- often there may be factors you can use to qunaitfy why you like it more, such as a more powerful performance, etc.
Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.