[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to start reading Gekiga. Where do I start? Where can I find it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Spider-Man.jpg (176 KB, 550x421) Image search: [Google]
Spider-Man.jpg
176 KB, 550x421
I want to start reading Gekiga.
Where do I start? Where can I find it?
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>119034518
In Japan.
>>
Abandon the Old in Tokyo.
>>
>>119036531
lol
>>
Go look at the /a/ charts. There's a bunch of gekiga on them already.

You start with Tatsumi. Seriously. Read Goodbye, Abandon the Old in Tokyo and Pushman. Then probably the rest of his work, even though they aren't really classified as gekiga.

Then you can read some Tsuge, Tezuka, Shigeru Mizuki or Koseki Gojima - like Lone Wolf and Cub or Golgo.

I would suggest reading A Drifting Life, although, not so early. You want to read it after you read some of things actually mentioned in it, otherwise it won't really make much sense.

Gekiga mostly died in the 80s, but you could probably read some Jiro Taniguchi as well.
>>
>>119036608
>lol
Kill yourself.
>>
Out of curiosity, how close is Punpun to being gekiga?

>>119036767
Thanks, m8.
>>
>>119036937
Not at all.
>>
>>119036937
It's not.
>>
>>119036767
>otherwise it won't really make much sense
I read it without knowing any gekiga beforehand and I understood it just fine. It's pretty self-explanatory, I think.
>>
>>119037061
>>119036971
It seems pretty similar to gekiga from what I've read on wikipedia.
>>
>>119037164
It has magical realism. Gekiga doesn't. It uses extreme stylization to convey feelings. Gekiga doesn't. It's pretty low on social commentaries while Gekiga is full of it.
>>
>>119037269
Ah, okay.
>>
>>119037164
You'll understand more if you read more and more Garo in general, read Palepoli and Furuya while you're at it by the way.

And more if you actually read A Drifting Life eventually. Gekiga itself is more a movement, not necessarily a style, although there are some typical characteristics. Frankly, people used to equate gekiga with over the top gore thanks to the likes of Nagai and shit, which is pretty far from the idea came from.
>>
>>119037161
It's probably more that it doesn't really have the same impact, as opposed to not making as much sense.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.