[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are everybody's opinions on the work of Rumiko Takahashi?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: rumiko_takahashi.gif (37 KB, 234x252) Image search: [Google]
rumiko_takahashi.gif
37 KB, 234x252
What are everybody's opinions on the work of Rumiko Takahashi? Overrated? Legitimate quality stuff? Worth all of their fame? I am debating getting familiar with some of her stuff, Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, and Maison Ikkoku, but they are all extremely long series, especially by today's standards.
>>
When I was a child I enjoyed Inyu before I realized how meh it is.

I recently got into Urusei Yatsura though, and I enjoy it a lot. I recommend it, but it is lengthy.
>>
All of them are watchable, just don't expect them to be 5cm per second.
>>
About creating likable characters and funny settings? Yes, she deserves all the praise she gets, but, sadly, she doesn´t know when to stop and usually had a hard time at giving a satisfying ending.

>>118242298

>5cm per second.

Underage confirmed
>>
>>118240896
Great, but she lost her way with Inu-Yasha and never recovered. Rin-Ne does not live up to modern times anymore.

Urutsei yatsura, Ranma, One Poud Gospel etc. were all great though. Ranma probably one of my favorites of all time.

Not to forget the fact that she was THE RICHEST woman in japan (not just richest mangaka, richets irrelevant of proffession) and had quite an impact at manga trends with her works.
>>
>there are people on /a/ who only saw inuyasha as kids
>>
I enjoyed Rumiko early Manga like Maison Ikkou, Uresei Yatsura, Mermaid Saga.

She excels at romantic comedy, Slice of Life, science fiction, whatever genre you want to categorize her early manga.

Her Shonen series are average and doesn't fare with Maison Ikkou or Uresei Yatsura. I liked InuYasha and then I started reading Ranma 1/2, Rin Ne, and you realize her characters are proxies of each other:
Hot blooded protagonist, tsundere deutagonist, etcetera. It's not necessarily egregious because the stories can become interesting yet it seem pedantic, regurgious, worn out.

She is deserving of her fame while not overrated in our contemporary society, I would admit, Rumiko was immensely popular in her prime.

Nonetheless, give her manga a read or alternatively watch the anime of her adapted manga.
>>
>>118240896
>Overrated?
This is my opinion. I read half of ranma and it felt like repeats of the same jokes all the time.
>>
>>118240896
She's written some really good stuff, but she has no artistic integrity when something becomes popular and will thus stretch it out way beyond any reasonable point.

The Rumic World and Mermaid Saga stuff are my favorites, I started with Ranma.
>>
How do the BD releases hold up? For Ranma there are two different people releasing the Ranma Box, I was leaning towards this one: http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=461906

For Uresei Yatsura this one is seeded, but has a absurd file size: http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=432663

I know Mamoru Oshi helped with Urusei Yatsura and directed the first two movies as well, which makes me interested because I have been making my way through everything he was involved with recently.
>>
The best girl is heree.
>>
>>
She's ugly
>>
>>118243606
She is cute. I want to marry her.
>>
>>118243728

She's so ugly the most ugly gorilla would say "nah, brah"
>>
>>118240896
Shit taste
>>
>>118243558
>Ranma
>Girl
>>
>>118240896
At a very base level I think she's a pioneer for romcoms in anime. You can't read/watch something she's written and tell me her work didn't inspire the current trends of romcoms.
>>
>>118240896
I liked Ranma mostly because everyone was an unrepentant asshole
>>
>>118243987
>You can't read/watch something she's written and tell me her work didn't inspire the current trends of romcoms.

It's not her fault, she didn't know the kind of monster she was creating.
>>
It's legit quality stuff.
>>
Best
>>
Girl
>>
Trash.
>>
File: Ranma_4.jpg (135 KB, 450x636) Image search: [Google]
Ranma_4.jpg
135 KB, 450x636
Ranma is the best character.
>>
>>118243919
>>118243558

Hasn't this been discussed to death a million times already in /a/?

She has lady parts and lady DNA when cold water is applied. It's not a trap.
>>
Creates memorable characters, likes tsunderes too much, struggles to avoid being repetitive with ongoing stories.
>>
File: 1368549461960.jpg (34 KB, 379x453) Image search: [Google]
1368549461960.jpg
34 KB, 379x453
I have a big crush for all of her works. But then again, I watched a lot of those series when I was a child.
It's enjoyable, Op. But for some reason /a/ always said that are poorly written.
>>
>>118245185
But he has a soul and mind of a man.

So that makes him a man or a transvestite.
>>
>>118245665

oh fuck no, we are not getting into this shit again.

IT'S NOT A TRAP.
>>
Should I watch the Urusei Yatsura anime or read the manga?
>>
I tried watching Ranma, and I got 80 episodes in then I dropped it. I enjoyed it, but it felt way too fucking repetitive at that point. Is the manga better?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.