[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Things in scanlation that piss you off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 15
File: pagefold margins.png (1 MB, 1080x1556) Image search: [Google]
pagefold margins.png
1 MB, 1080x1556
Most manga have margins to allow for the "page fold" in the center of the book to not obscure any art. When a manga gets published in a tank, there will often be filler pages that are often blank or have sketches on them, so as to keep this format.

But for years with scanlation groups, they've taken absolutely no measures to account for this when viewing a manga in two-page view. So you end up having to manually go back a single page so it becomes more readable.

Ironically, the cancer known as the "credits page" could fix this if it were placed in the right spot at the start or end of the archive. But years later, this problem still makes a 50-50 chance of a chapter being readable.

Though I suppose any of you faggots who read online one page and ad at a time don't have this problem.
>>
Fuck you fags, seriously.
You rail on people for posting downscaled images from mangafox or wherever, or screencaps from a stream, but you have no standards where legitimate scanlations are concerned.
>>
>>117852398
I'm fairly sure that most manga reading software has options to fix that. The thing that you're complaining about is not really an issue.
>>
>>117852557
Shit's impossible to fix if one chapter is credits + "even-odd" spreads and next is "odd-even" spreads + credits.

Daiz should have thought more about page file names in addition to chapter archoive names.
>>
Things that piss me off:
People typesetting fucking vertical text like
t
h
i
s
in attempt to preserve the layout of the original writing.
Fuck, english does not work that way.
>>
>>117852830
>Shit's impossible to fix
Don't be silly, I don't know much about other reading software, but on cdisplayex you have options to go forward a page which pretty much fixes that issue. If it bothers you that much you can just bind a key to do that.

>Daiz should have thought more about page file names in addition to chapter archoive names.
Yeah, because that worked quite well. How many groups actually use his naming scheme?
And don't get me wrong, i actually use it and think it's great to keep your shit tidy, but most people disregard it because >daiz.
>>
>>117852830

Some manga-reader apps can fix this simply:

1. Assign a button for "go back one page"
2. Assign a button for "go forward two pages in double page mode"
3. When you come across this problem, reset the spread counting by backing one image ("half" a step).
>>
>>117853073
>>117853252
> go forward a page
Manually, as mentioned by OP.
But what if I have no keys to bind hotkeys on? Like on a tablet?
>>
>>117852398
Nobody cares.

>>117852884
Often done because of vertical bubbles. There's few other options.

Things I hate are that ugly ass software everyone's been using recently, and horrible translations where the editor clearly doesn't know what he's doing.
>>
>>117853295
Stop using a tablet.
>>
>>117853295
I have no idea how those would work, but do you really read double paged on a tablet? What kind of big ass tablet do you have?
>>
>>117852830
>19.jpg
>1.jpg
WHO THINKS THIS IS A GOOD IDEA?
I hate when I have to use unarchive mass chapters, use Bulk Rename Utility to undo the cancer, then rearchive them.
>>
>>117853385
12" Windows 7 Tablet PC
But double pages are viable from 9" if it's 4:3, from 10" if 16:10.
>>
File: Rokudenashi Blues v04 c33 - 02.jpg (947 KB, 4922x4181) Image search: [Google]
Rokudenashi Blues v04 c33 - 02.jpg
947 KB, 4922x4181
Reading JoJo, Rokudenashi, and Baki the Grappler has made me indifferent to shitty scans. I'm just glad to have something.
>>
File: 1417500979254.jpg (178 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1417500979254.jpg
178 KB, 900x675
>>117853433
>MACOSX folder
>>
>>117853433
That shit always gets me, fuck everybodu who names shit like that.
>>
You people are so damn spoiled, I swear to god
>>
>>117853873
Enjoy your free shit-flavored ice cream.
>>
File: 1336889015896.gif (124 KB, 590x333) Image search: [Google]
1336889015896.gif
124 KB, 590x333
>>117853433
>>117853765
>They don't read manga page 10 and 11 first, then 2 through 9, followed by 12 onwards
What's it like being a wizard?
>>
>>117853923
It's fine to complain about bad translations or shit quality, but complaining about pages not being exactly like in the tank compete with the sketches is dumb. Yes, they could have done that, but does it REALLY affect you that much? Why are you reading it like that when you know it's going to piss you off?
>>
>>117852398

Stop reading 2 pages at a time. If you want to do that, read it in print. If you're reading on a computer or some other device, the clearly superior method is one page at a time. That way you're not spoiled by anything on the next page just because the corner of your eye catches something. It's one of only a few advantages to reading from a screen.

obligatory, OP is a faggot. OP is a huge, retarded faggot.
>>
>>117854017
It's not only that, take >>117853433 as an example too.
>>
>>117853433
try using contemporary software
>>
>>117854017
>exactly like in the tank compete with the sketches
Nowhere was this mentioned. Only that the filler pages between chapters serve a purpose. The page fold margins should always be in the center in two-page view.
>>
>>117854063
If you're too stupid to understand that's what I meant then there's no reason to talk to you
>>
>>117854037
What about spreads?
>>
>>117854123
It's not my fault your fingers can't type coherent sentences.
>>
>>117854166
>exactly like in the tank compete with sketches
>Nowhere was this mentioned

>When a manga gets published in a tank, there will often be filler pages that are often blank or have sketches on them, so as to keep this format.
>>
>>117852398
There are worse things that they can do than that. For example: scans not gray scale, underleveled, overleveled, not cropped, spine shadow, ridiculously resized scans, upscaling artifacts, obvious moiré patterns caused by the use of scripts to clean, oversmoothing, default fonts for typesetting, etc...

The point I'm trying to make is that scanlating is a complex task where a lot can go wrong. It's also a lot of work doing all of these steps. Just be glad that there are volunteers willing to put in the work for you just so you can get your daily fix.
>>
>>117854204
That was explaining why filler pages exist.
If in a manga magazine, the first page of the manga is printed on the LEFT PAGE, it means there should be a filler page at the start of the archive. That could be a credits page, or just a complete blank.
So as to preserve the reading experience.
The way it is in OP is actually eye-cancer.
>>
Why don't you just buy the tanks if you're going to be so autistic about it
>>
>>117854298
I don't argue. I'm not a cleaner and I'm glad I've never tried cleaning.
But this sort of thing is so basic, it boggles the mind why groups don't do anything about it. Especially since a credits page both fixes the issue and strokes the group's e-peen.
>>
>>117854299
Yes. So my original post is completely understandable considering we have both acknowledged that what you're talking about is preserving the page order in tanks with filler pages of some kind.

My point is why read it like that when you know they get it wrong half the time and it just pisses you off. Unless all you want to do is complain instead of actually enjoying whatever you're reading.
>>
>>117854447
My answer is that it's a hassle to manually go back or forwards one single page so often when the way my reader is set up is very comfy as it is.
Are you suggesting I read by single page only? Impossible.
>>
>>117854372
I guess it is a small thing to ask for, and I personally do get pissed off when there are credits as the first page and not at the end.

I wish scanlating was more standardized. imagine: every file named correctly, sorted into folders by volumes and chapters, credits page at the end of chapters or just one at the end of the volume. Currently I do this manually for all my manga because of my autism, but it would be the dream. I also wish we didn't have to read scans at 800px, it's not 1990 with crt's anymore. we have 600dpi scanners and 1920px screens...
>>
>>117854588
Is this sarcasm or are you saying you're too lazy to click slightly more often?
>>
>>117854621
>I wish scanlating was more standardized
Good one. This will never happen. For every one like me who release my shit properly there are ten retards who fuck up in every possible way.
>>
>>117854621
It can't happen, there are too many groups, and 80% of them don't communicate with each other in any way. It's impossible to standardize.
>>
>>117854844
Going forward or backwards one page is a three step process.
>>
>>117854960
What?
>>
>>117853433
There are programs that can't handle number order in 2014?
>>
>translators putting their shitty opinions and insights about the current events on the fucking pages
>epic trolle pages with cancer meme text
>ignoring some speech bubbles and just leaving them blank
>>
>>117853433
>unarchiving chapters
Just get a comic-book reader. They are designed to display files in archived formats.
>>
>>117854588
So fix your reader.

This is an obvious feature, and if it can't easily do something so obvious it it's clearly broken.
>>
>>117854892
>>117854898

What I think might help is if there was one format/program for it's creation. Anime has had aegissub for a long time for subbing with styled subs.
>>
>>117855058
Are any as unobstructive as CDisplay and able to read archives with moonrunes in the filename?
>>
>>117855024
TN: This string of romanji has an English translation that would readily make sense to readers, but I think it sounds stupid so I won't tell you it.
>>
>>117852398
when I confirm that one of the members is a filipino I immediately stop replying, jesus fuck they're fucking annoying, at one point your talking about how to do action recording, then he'll start how hard it is to be a poorfag and not being able to afford GPU and drawing tablet for better redrawing. fuck
>>
>>117855084
>one format/program for it's creation
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>117855105
HoneyView has zero permanent UI elements (not even title bar) and reads any filenames within archives and as part of archive path.
Has hotkeys to go next/previous 1 page in double page view and natural page sorting too.
>>
>>117855105
I've never used CDisplay as I have a mac. I personally use Sequential and have found it to work quite well. And yes, it is able to read archives with moonrunes in the filename, it just asks for the encoding to use beforehand.
>>
>>117855156
Okay, I'll elaborate. I actually have been working on such a system myself. Here's my idea: we use .ass styled subs to sub manga. Wait, hear me out. The format has everything perfect already: you can have different fonts for different characters and types of speeches, along with signs. You can position text anywhere and rotate it, and you can stroke text and make it any size. But we don't want to watch manga as a video do we? Here's how I envision the system:

scanlators crop, level, and clean like usual, except they leave only blank out text bubbles and not fill the in

These get filled in with some kinda software that uses .ass subs as it's underlying format. That software will also have the ability to export to jpb/png,pdf, epub, and even html (it's possible if users install fonts on their system or with webfonts).

This would be the next manga revolution. I'm serious. There's two great benefits for this method: easily fix typos since the text is just a text file, text can scale to screen sizes properly since it's not embedded anymore, and it's shit easy to translate the manga to other languages.
>>
You're complaining about a problem that doesn't exist. You're just looking for something to bitch out, really.
>>
>>117855320
The only drawbacks to the system are that fitting text in boxes is a bit annoying at the moment, but anime subbers have been doing this successfully for ages, so I don't see why we couldn't adapt this for manga.

Oh, and you could actually distribute the manga as videos too, though that's an extremely shitty idea.

I love the idea of separating the text from the scans though.
>>
>>117855320
Or you can just use any existing format with layers and vector text, you already mentioned pdf for example, or it could be psd or whatever GIMP has.
>>
>>117855320
Ah, container system. I thought about this some time ago, and I'm probably not the only one. Something like MKV for manga would be really great, but someone has to implement that first.
>>
>>117855320
hmm this could actually be neat. I've always wanted to search for phrases used in my manga.
>>
>>117855320
And what we we use to look at these new manga files?
>>
File: img000040.png (342 KB, 961x1400) Image search: [Google]
img000040.png
342 KB, 961x1400
Things in scanlation that piss me off you say?
>>
What happened to Daiz's mango reader?
>>
>>117855450
>>But we don't want to watch manga as a video do we?
>That software will also have the ability to export to jpb/png,pdf, epub, and even html (it's possible if users install fonts on their system or with webfonts).
>>
>>117855450
That's why I said it could be exported to those formats. The .ass would just be used for creation, or if the users have the creation software themselves, they could export it to whatever format they want.

>>117855423
But how good is the typesetting for those? PSD and XCF are huge formats and not really suited for the task, since they're mostly for image editing, not viewing.

>>117855430
Well it could be pretty easy to convert a folder of scans to a video with ffmpeg. I don't think people want to read manga as videos though.
>>
>>117855461
Top note and sfx is fine, the others are just being lazy and shouldn't be done.
>>
>>117855537
>>117855561
Then how is this any different from what scanlators already do with photoshop and GIMP?
>>
>>117855537
Yeah it's an ideal piece of software but I don't think I'm overreaching either. We can already embed subtitles in videos, we'd juse need a .ass library (there are a few good ones) and use that to embed the text in, or in the case of html, overlay it. The epub export would just be a side effect of having an html option. (epub are just a structured html + css files that are zipped up)
>>
>>117855590
> shouldn't be done.

Yes, that's the point of posting the page?
>>
>>117855320
That sounds like a complete pain in the ass that no one would ever use, including me.
>>
>>117855616
Can you extract text from files the way typesetting currently works?
>>
>>117855616
Those files aren't really meant for redistribution, and the text gets embedded and lost forever. The way I envision it is that the text is separate from the images, in a .ass file. For users who still want the old experience, one could export out to the usual formats. For people who want searchable/copyable/translatable text, one could export it to an HTML file that would overlay this text.

>>117855646
Maybe. It's just an idea.
>>
>>117855561
PSD has lossless compression and with text as text image data (and thus final filesize) might be even smaller than PNG.

I thing scene mentality of scanlators is another issue as it would be the same as releasing editable script. Same reason why fansubbers refused to use softsubs for a while.
>>
>>117854140
You configure those.
>>
File: 1404631831167.jpg (72 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
1404631831167.jpg
72 KB, 709x765
It piss me off when they translate a the first few chapter then they drop it.
>>
>>117855733
You make some good points. It's food for thought for sure.
>>
>>117855320
>>
>>117856016
And it scales. Excuse the shitty CSS. Just a POC. I also considered XML for the data at one point.
>>
>>117856066
>mac
For what reason?
>>
Regardless of OP being a retard, I hate every noob that saving scans in jpeg, and use shit fonts like Comic Sans/Arial/TNR etc. Also I hate Mac-faggots and Win-imbeciles who pack archives in folders and with shit like thumbs.db and how-that-similar-mac-shit-called. Fuck you, burn in hell.
>>
While we're bitching about scans, damn the new group for World Trigger needs a new typesetter, they use a different font for every single bubble, it's ridiculous
>>
>>117856173
Because I'm a designer :^). Nah just jerking you off, because I got it for free. Great hardware and beautiful software. Also, you haven't visited /g/ in a while, there're mac dailys there now. It's okay to admit that macs are nice m80.

>>117856340
._DS_Store and ._filename
>>
File: Las-Vegas.jpg (54 KB, 277x370) Image search: [Google]
Las-Vegas.jpg
54 KB, 277x370
>>117852884
>Fuck, english does not work that way.
You sure?
>>
>>117856482
That's a sign, not regular scrolling text.
>>
>>117856512
It works for separate words too.
>>
>>117852398
>free
>piracy
>whinne and complain
>'muricans
>>
>>117855320
In past 10 or so years I have seen so much similar already working programs, not to mention fagots who were just saing "it would be nice to have subs for manga" that it isn't even worth counting.
>>
>>117854140
Scanlators put spreads together manually you retard.
>>
>>117852398
Stop downloading manga like a retard. Problem solved.
>>
>>117859706
>downloading necessitates two-page view
>>
>>117859706
You know, I'm actually considering the possibility of you being serious.
>>
How many different jobs are associated with distributing a manga online?
>>
>>117860958
wat?
>>
>>117860958
It depends on how much work needs to go into it.
The basic jobs are
>Raw Provider/Scanner
AKA: The guy with more than $10 in his bank account. May live in Moonland if he's scanning magazines, but not necessarily so.

>The Cleaner
Probably the shittiest job of them all. This (These) poor bastard(s) has (have) to sort out the clusterfuck that is a typical scan and crop, level, redraw, etc until it is free of eye cancer. Or in some cases, create more eyecancer with shitty automated tools.

>The Translator
Usually the least experienced person in the team, with wildly varying levels of lunar accumen. With any luck, they'll have a good balance of skill between that of moon and that of the language they're translating it to.

>Proofreader
Sometimes a secondary translator, but more often contributes little to nothing. They almost assuredly have no real editing experience and will just okay the TL blindly. Hopefully though, they prune lines accordingly with respect to grammar and balloon size.

>The Typesetter
Autism is a must to fit text correctly. Hopefully, they won't be stupid enough to choose unconventional and adventurous fonts.

>The QCer
Fucking parasites or they'd be doing the proofreader's job.

>The Hoster
Whoever pays the server bills or (forgets when it's down to re-) uploads to a file host.

>The Fucking Parasite Chink Scum Garbage
NOEZ and friends. They steal your work, downscale it, chop it up, and serve it for low-powerlevel trash leecher algae to lap up for big per-page ad bux on their faggregator site. Why nobody puts a bounty for information on their administrators or the murder thereof, and I'm being perfectly serious, ten thousand dollars is a lot of money in China, I will never know.

And that's scanlation production and distribution.
>>
>>117861470
>Probably the shittiest job of them all.
>implying being an editor isn't the most fulfilling and fun job in scanlation
>>
>>117855320
I'd prefer something like what the boorus use. Semitransparent notes over the actual Japanese text so you'd have raws and scanlations at the same time. Easy to fix any typos and easy to use, translators could translate directly over the text and leave any text formatting to someone else. Only minor editing necessary in the pages, no need to spend hours butchering the art with clone stamp tool. Literally anyone could post the translations almost instantly and have it applied on the first raw available, no scanlation drama involved, much faster releases.

This would be the manga revolution.
>>
>>117861470
God your whole post made my sides leave the solar system, I love it anon.

>Autism is a must to fit text correctly. Hopefully, they won't be stupid enough to choose unconventional and adventurous fonts.

As a typesetter, I wonder what you consider "unconventional and adventurous fonts"
>>
>>117861470
Thank you kind anon

>lunar accumen
My sides were splitting
>>
>>117861470
>The Translator
>Proofreader
This is the stupidest thing to ever come out of scanlations. Proofreaders usually know less japanese than the translators and they fuck shit up so bad when they're trying to stuff shit in balloons that it's no longer what was said initially. Proofreader should only be there to catch typos and should ALWAYS consult him first before changing anything other than a typo. Period. The translator should be the one making the text shorter if it's too long to avoid changing the meaning and making sure his translation doesn't sound like fucking duwang.
>>
>>117861803
BEHOLD, THE FUTURE OF SCANLATION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXBTAzd9sKk
>>
>>117852538
I actually like reading one page at a time, i always hated when i would spoil myself because my eyes glanced over at the left page before i finished the right.
>>
>>117862171
Now that's adventurous.
>>
>>117861803
Well if you use wild words folks will bitch and conplain, and if you don't use it people will still bitch so you're just fucked either way
>>
>>117862339
Anyone who bitches about WW is an idiot, I never listen to them.
>>
>>117862339
Wild Words is life
VTC Letterer is hometown
>>
>>117862220
Wait, do most people use/prefer a 2-page spread view? Maybe it's because my screen is only 13 inches.
>>
File: 1395296734620.png (176 KB, 484x479) Image search: [Google]
1395296734620.png
176 KB, 484x479
>>117862368
Just admit that you don't know where to get all the cool fonts already, we won't even laugh.
>>
>>117862537
If they did you would see scanlators releasing things as two pages.
>>
>>117862563
I would do this just to fuck with people on e-readers.
>>
File: 1416088198173.jpg (22 KB, 300x288) Image search: [Google]
1416088198173.jpg
22 KB, 300x288
I honestly don't understand why people go through all the effort to translate/scan these manga. is it really worth it?
>>
File: ss+(2014-12-04+at+11.38.40).png (63 KB, 739x688) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2014-12-04+at+11.38.40).png
63 KB, 739x688
>>117862557
Sure thing, bud.
>>
>>117862618
Is life really worth it?
>>
>>117862642
no

not at all
>>
>>117862628
Do you have a decent font-scanning program?
I am a subber who can't find a key for Find My Font.
>>
File: ss+(2014-12-04+at+11.51.07).png (49 KB, 900x700) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2014-12-04+at+11.51.07).png
49 KB, 900x700
>>117862855
What do you mean font-scanning program, like a font manager? Because I heard good things about nexusfont. You can type something in and see how it'll look with all the fonts you have installed. I personally don't use it though.
>>
>>117863120
I'm using it, it's great. Be cautious of heavy fonts with AA turned on though, your PC might start shitting itself.
>>
>>117853433
>download Eyeshield 21
>it's completely unorganized
>spend next hour organizing it
>some chapters are literally 5 pixels and im forced to skip entire plot points
fucking hell i hate AB. that is not organised you cunts
>>
>>117863120
I mean, something that'll OCR a sample letter on an image and run it against your library. Otherwise, why have such a large collection?
>>
>>117863405
Because if I need a font I can just go looking in the folder and more often than not I'll have something very fitting considering I got all those fonts from a scanlator friend who has been at it for longer than I have. When that fails it's google time.
>>
>Cleaner
>Hardest job
Not if you have actions and shit.

Cleaner =/= Redrawer
>>
>>117863612
That's wrong, redrawers are cleaners.
>>
>>117863626
And Cleaners are Levelers, right?
>>
>>117863612
>>117863715
I really wish RH hadn't split redrawing into its own department so we wouldn't retarded people like this.
>>
>>117852398
I could agree about absence of middle gap but do you think people really bothered by side gap?
>>
Red Hawk
>Astro City
>Topaz
>Ching chong group of companies

Village Idiots
>picks up every new series
>moe crap

Japanzai, Imangascams etc etc
>Slow as fuck
>DEAD
>>
>>117864075
There is nothing wrong with topaz, it's when it's misused like with RH and chinks who don't know shit about how to use it properly that it becomes a problem.
>>
It is not that I use depositfile link because I want to support you or anything.
>>
>>117864976
>depositfile
For what purpose?
>>
File: fansfromhell.png (9 KB, 383x114) Image search: [Google]
fansfromhell.png
9 KB, 383x114
>>117861470
You forgot that scanlation also has consumer types:

(1) Scanlation Fan - appreciates the work
(2) Self-entitled Fan - complains bitterly yet eagerly reads the next scanlation
(3) Casual Appreciative Fan - reads it without comment and hopes for more even if the entire scanlation is not perfect each time
(4) Unappreciative Fan - eagerly reads it and typically comments how trashy and worthless the scanlation was but does so without bitterness
(5) Indifferent or casual consumer - reads all scanlations on her/his list of favorite titles and moves on without comment
(6) Trolls - the ones that consistently attack scanlators just because having a fixed name makes them a target of opportunity.
(7) Angry People - these people NEED to attack someone or something each day as a way of relieving their pent-up rage or frustrations in life.
>>
File: translators.jpg (111 KB, 589x772) Image search: [Google]
translators.jpg
111 KB, 589x772
Is it time to post these?
>>
>>117862618
>I honestly don't understand why people go through all the effort to translate/scan these manga. is it really worth it?
Yes, there's quite a few translators that are quite fluent or native and can basically translate as fast as they type. In one sense, the translator gets to read a manga for free and in another sense he helps some people he knows. The translation is in text (not typeset). A lot of these translations are on private sites though not meant for public distribution.
>>
>make a scanlation thread
>start with the most trivial complaint that anyone can fix (provided they aren't retarded)
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.