[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many of you buy manga at bookstores?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 500x333
How many of you buy manga at bookstores?
>>
>>117463775
>bookstores
>not importing original Japanese prints
>>
>>117463775

I usually just get my stuff on Amazon, since it's cheaper and more convenient also this >>117463850

Though I only import favourites and stuff that wouldn't get a localized released in the UK or the western world minus a few countries like Punpun did.
>>
>>117463775
I buy my stuff at bookstore on some occasions, rest of the time I'm ordering it online.
>>
I just order mine online.
>>
Sometimes its cool to look around and maybe buy a volume or two just because my local B&N had a nice selection. seeing some of the other people browsing the aisle makes me question my hobby, though.
>>
What's a bookstore?
>>
I get the mango I care enough to buy at a LCS and the one remaining brick and mortar book shop left in my city of one million people.
>>
>>117463775
I don't see the point of buying books from brick and mortars anymore period. I can just buy them from amazon (or rightstuf, in the case of manga) at a ridiculously low price when they're on sale and the product is guaranteed to be unscathed on delivery. Too bad, because I live in a relatively small town and a comic book / manga / tabletop game store recently opened and I know they have got to be hurting in this economy.
>>
I buy stuff at Book Off every once in a while.
>>
>>117463775
I bought some when I visited Kinokuniya. I know they were marked up, but I was on vacation and didn't really give a fuck about being frugal. Wish we had one of those or a Book Off over here.
>>
Does anyone else remember the B&N landwhale stories we used to share?
>>
>>117463775
I stopped buying at brick & mortar bookstores after Borders shut down.
Because I joined their free Borders Rewards program, I'd always get those 30% off e-mail coupons. They were always having a 4-for-3 or 3-for-2 paperbacks special which included manga and comics, and they allowed you to stack the e-mail coupon on top of the free book specials.
Goddamn, I miss Borders.
>>
>>117464321
A concpiracy made by /lit/
>>
>>117464837
I remember going into a B&N and seeing a white chick planted in the middle of the aisle and squealing like a pig over something going on in the manga she was reading and her best friend was sitting next to her with this totally embarrassed look on her face.

People who flip out manga like that need to be fucking euthanized. It's just fucking manga.
>>
>>117465136
Well /lit/ is awful. Always going on about paper with words in them. No pictures and big words.

Always making themselves feel superior to others just because they can see the hidden meanings in the words of the authors. How the hell can they visualize a scene with just text?

That ability is no longer relevant in the age of new media(hell radio/TV isn't considered new anymore either).

Burn all books! Fahrenheit 451 and shit.
>>
>>117465252
>flip out over manga

I meant to say that.
>>
>>117465287
It's like /b/ with books.
I usually go for book recs
>>
I buy stuff at Kinokuniya but whenever I'm at B&N I'm afraid to hang around those shelves too long.
>>
>go into bookstore to buy manga
>get panicked
>bump into some stranger
>get even more panicked
>in all that panic fail to remember what volume to buy
NOPE. Never gain
>>
>>117463775
Does Fnac count as a book store? Then i do.
>>
>Borders going out of business sale
>See what manga is still available
>Mushishi pops out at me. $6 a copy
>Amazon original price of CIN of volume
>Out of print copy being sold for $100-fucking-dollars everywhere
>Buy up all the copies of that particular volume I can find
>Go home and create listing
>Some short weeks later I'm sitting on $2k loving life and Otaku who actually spent money on this shit

True story, was one of the best sales I've ever made.
>>
I bought some volumes of bilingual Doraemon and a G Gundam manga (in JP) at the NYC Kinokuniya. Large and nice selection there of not just manga, but merch, too, as well as the B&N on Union Square...

Those are a journey, though, and yeah, Amazon just can't be beat on deals (and getting OOP shit like most of the good stuff Tokyopop had put out, for cheap.)
>>
>>117463850
I have japanese bookstores around me, no need to waste extra money importing paper
>>
Sometimes when I feel like getting ripped off I buy stuff from Kinokuniya in SF. Otherwise CDJapan and PlayAsia.

If I can find good enough quality though I'll just download it.
>>
>>117463775

If by bookstore you mean Amazon, regularly.
>>
When I pay a visit to NYC, I'll go to Bookoff and Kinokuniya. Bookoff first because their prices are fucking amazing, Kinokuniya to fill any gaps of volumes from stuff I just bought from Bookoff.

Other than that, I haven't even read English localized manga in ages, let alone bought any.
>>
>>117467537
I really regret not going to Book Off, completely forgot about it when I went to NY. I probably missed out on some good used deals since Kinokuniya only sells new.
>>
>>117465595
>Kinokuniya
Let me guess, the one in Uwajimaya in Beaverton?
>>
I sold 27 volumes of Naruto for $200+ on Amazon recently.

Why did I buy Naruto all those years ago. Why.
At least I got a majority of the money back.

I stopped reading manga, it became expensive for me when I started reading more series when I could've just read it online.
>>
>>117467997
Sorry, wrong state.
>>
>>117468084
That's really good for used books. Are they rare now or something?
>>
>>117468244
I just remembered that there was a "27 volume box set" for naruto that was selling in book stores years ago and figured that I just had all the books, and no box so I'd sell it that way.

Like 2-3 days after the naruto manga ended someone bought it, and I had that listing up for so long I forgot about it.
>>
>>117463775
I used to, but they kept raising the prices so it got too expensive
>>
Yeah, the bookstores I go to are usually pretty good with stocking manga so I don't have to order online too often.
>>
>>117464509
Curious as to why you mentioned the population of your city. I live in a city of around 200k and I can think of probably 14 different places I could get manga excluding comic shops. With research I bet I could triple that number.
>>
>>117463775
I do whenever there's a sale/coupon, but yeah, even then, Amazon can be cheaper. (Spice and Wolf seems to be an exception.)

Incidentally, there's a 30%-off-1-item coupon for Barnes and Noble this weekend:
http://slickdeals.net/f/7416704-barnes-noble-has-30-off-in-store-online-purchases-from-11-28-11-30
>>
I stand in the aisles and read manga at bookstores.
Buy? The bookstore ain't going anywhere, why would I do that?
>>
I'd rather borrow shit from a library. And if I do buy something physical, a bookstore here is twice the usual going rate including shipping.
>>
File: borders-closed.jpg (25 KB, 516x291) Image search: [Google]
borders-closed.jpg
25 KB, 516x291
>>117470238
>>
>>117469906
I was going to use this to start my Haruhi collection ,but they don't even have book one in hardcover.
>>
>>117463775
>leaving visible traces of a powerlevel
>>
pretty sure bookstores don't exist anymore

but I do buy some manga on amazon
>>
>>117468244
They're going to be soon since the manga has ended and the US release is 5 volumes behind the end.
>>
By the time I decide to buy a copy, a million sweaty weeb fingers have soiled the pages. I bet they did the "lick-the-finger-to-flip" thing too
>>
>>117470616
apparently the paperback versions have Noizi Ito's cover art inside them, but yeah it's still not as great as having the cover art outside
>>
I did for years. It was OK, the only bookstore around that carried mango was B&N.
>>
The Barnes and Noble in my area actually has a surprising amount of manga selection. Probably has to do with Englihs manga publishers getting more licenses of shit I actually want to buy but I'm impressed every time I stop in
>>
>go to bookstore
>hey a manga section
>wow, i want to buy this lovely manga
>go home and buy it for 20% cheaper on amazon
>>
I order mine online
Much cheaper that way, and it has that fresh book smell
>>
File: 1410113363660.jpg (64 KB, 545x369) Image search: [Google]
1410113363660.jpg
64 KB, 545x369
>>117463775

>buying manga
>>
>>117471357
>go home and read it online for free

FTFY
>>
>>117463775
I don't. All bookstores here sell are badly translated copies of Naruto's first volumes and occasionally One Piece.
>>
>>117470170
>>117471414
Nothing wrong with buying raw manga. More so if it's stuff that hasn't even been scanned yet.
>>
>>117463775
I work for a book distributor and order directly from them.
>>
I do in the asinine belief that it supports the book stores and imports of the mangas.

Also manga is fun.
>>
>>117463775
Since I work at a bookstore, I do.
>>
>>117471649
i hate that actually
the tactile page flippin and paper smellin is something i simply can't do without
>>
>>117463775
I buy raw manga from Japanese bookstores, but other than that, no.
>>
File: recent1.jpg (429 KB, 992x1323) Image search: [Google]
recent1.jpg
429 KB, 992x1323
I order things off the internet and sometimes go to Kinokuniya
>>
File: Capture.png (106 KB, 753x615) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
106 KB, 753x615
Fuck bookstores. They don't sell raw manga. I usually download but I import when I can't find high quality scans or I get the urge to hoard more stuff. Placing an order right now.
>>
File: 11-02-14-4.png (2 MB, 1228x816) Image search: [Google]
11-02-14-4.png
2 MB, 1228x816
Nearest B&N is about 30 miles away, so it's inconvenient. Local bookstores do have a semi-decent selection in manga, but charge MSRP.

I pretty much buy exclusively online, via Amazon, B&N, and RightStuf (in that order). I will buy a few volumes from local bookstores every month or so, just to support them, and help do my part in keeping bookstores around (though I do buy some non-manga fiction from stores more often).
>>
>>117471991
>One Peace Books
How is this press? I have yet to come across any of their books.
>>
>>117471811
>go home and print them for free
>>
File: 11-25-14-1.png (2 MB, 816x1228) Image search: [Google]
11-25-14-1.png
2 MB, 816x1228
>>117472086
Not surprising since they've done next to no advertising, and have almost zero social media presence. Great way to launch a manga line.

They're relatively new, and have only been releasing manga for about 2 or so years, but they've picked up a number of random licenses lately.

Their....well, their QC sucks. I bought their Whispered Words (Sasameki Koto) releases because god knows there isn't enough yuri out the US market, and sometimes importing all the tanks just doesn't cut it.

Their first omnibus (they're doing 3-in-1s) of it was awful. Typos, misaligned typesetting, untranslated text, gutter problems, etc... it was a complete mess. But I bought it, gave them my money, and crossed my fingers enough people gave them money too to support the series, their company, and fixing their fucking company.

Looks like that paid off, since the second omnibus was leagues better. I only spotted two typos, and pretty much everything else had been fixed. Good on them. So...be cautious, but it looks like they're improving. I need to check out RAQIYA still, since it's fucking Boichi.

Meanwhile, my backlog has once again spiraled out of control. I don't know why this keeps happening.
>>
>>117463850
>original Japanese prints
>not getting final drafts directly from the mangaka
Oh wow, I am surrounded by casuals.
>>
>>117472289
>not living in Japan as a mangaka's assistant
The only casual is you, anon.
>>
>>117472193
first of all, ink is expensive
second of all, my time is valuable too
thirdly, no
>>
>>117472331
>printing more expensive than buying raws
>my time is valuable
>browses /a/
>>
File: WHAT THE FUCK MAN.gif (1 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
WHAT THE FUCK MAN.gif
1 MB, 300x169
>>117472289
>Not stealing storyboards from their editor
>Not abducting their hapless, underpaid, over-worked assistant, and taking their half-finished backgrounds and screentone
>>
>>117472216
Thanks, hopefully they continue to improve.

Just be glad you don't have a moonspeak backlog.
>>
>>117472430
It's been a while since I've done a Kinokuniya order (waiting for glorious free-shipping sale). Though I still haven't gotten around to the last 2 tankoubon of Sakura Trick. And still need to read the Break Blade re-releases.
>>
>>117472359
Most of /a/ doesn't even have a team of mangakas, assistants, editors and publishers locked in their basement.

This is what happens when you let the normalfags in moot.
>>
File: honto2.png (50 KB, 840x1052) Image search: [Google]
honto2.png
50 KB, 840x1052
>>117472476
Honto has been having a lot of point promotions lately. I nearly ran out of things to buy.
>>
>>117464774
There are two book-offs in my area and the nearest one is 2 minutes away from my college. I've been frequenting that place a lot recently.
>>
Is it ok to buy translated LNs?
Or are they terribly translated no matter what
>>
I usually buy my manga on Ebay because it's really less expensive. For exemple I bought all GTO volumes for 40 euros, the 10 helsing volumes for 12 euros, the 37 Gantz volumes for 150 euros ...

If it's not popular enouth to be on ebay (like samidare for exemple) I buy it on amazon.
>>
>>117472744
If you're gonna buy shit literature, at least buy manga. It has pretty drawings.
>>
>>117472904
Thats not what I asked.
>>
>>117472744
The stuff out there right now is pretty decent, as far as their translations go. Content of the actual material within from the author themselves? Debatable.

Still, hasn't stopped me from picking up the most recent releases like that Attack on Titan spin-off LN, SAO, Accel World, and now Index. You better believe I'll be buying Log Horizon, Maou-sama, NGNL, and whatever else they're doing.
>>
>>117472744

Spice & Wolf and Vampire Hunter D (are those even considered LN?) are well done.
>>
The only manga I own is the Zelda box set. And the bonus manga at the end of Hyrule Historia if that counts.

As for light novels, I might end up buying Spice and Wolf when they actually fucking finish it. I'm just mad it's still not done. When a series that is mostly translated already gets licensed, it just pisses me off. Like NGNL; fuck that, we were almost current and then they license it. Index I don't give a fuck about, since it was completely done already (as long as they don't take down NT). Now something like Hataraku Maou? You pick that shit up and you're a fucking hero. No one wanted to translate that, so go right ahead, I'll probably end up buying it.
>>
I support my local bookstores because I'm a sucker for that shit.
>>
>>117463775
I buy them at local comic store, but it's a little different thing from US bookstores, as it's a place that only sell manga/comics and related merch usually run by competent people.
>>
>>117473669

My two not quite local comic shops don't carry anything anime or manga related. It'd be nice if I could get my manga and comics in one shop aside from online stores.
>>
File: 09274938724.jpg (123 KB, 855x570) Image search: [Google]
09274938724.jpg
123 KB, 855x570
>>117473780
Forgot to add that i'm living in pastaland, in the town where i live (1 million or so inhabitants) there are 10/15 dedicated stores.

Sure, i could buy stuff online (i do, on ebay, for out of print/rare stuff) but having a place where you find people (that you gradually get to know) which only talk, sell and know their shit about manga/comics and whatever related has it's own charm (plus usually comic stores gives you discounts if you buy from them regularly).

>walk in
>clerck say "got some non DC/Marvel comics delivery, could there be something interesting for you?"
>"not really, you know i only read manga and there are maybe 2 western things i'd be interested in-"
>slam Watchmen hardcover volume on the table
>"Shut up and take my money"
>>
File: the_pleasure_of_being.png (217 KB, 475x683) Image search: [Google]
the_pleasure_of_being.png
217 KB, 475x683
>>117472329

>not being the mangaka

Step it up, kouhai.
>>
yo /a/.
Where do you download mangos if you don't buy them? And do you use a program to read them?
>>
>>117474511

>Where do you download mangos if you don't buy them?

But that is illegal.

>And do you use a program to read them?

Well, if I ever downloaded stuff, I would probably use Notepad.
>>
>>117474104
Nice meme.
>>
>>117463775
I live down the street from a Kinokuniya.

It's pretty sweet.
>>
>>117463775
I did when I was a kid.
Then I got a debit card and realised it's about half price to get it online, with delivery
>>
I used to. But in my town, the only place selling manga is this nerd fantasy game shop, and it kinda started to get awkward going there. So now I just order online.
>>
>>117474470
>not being the pens they use
What the fuck are you doing?
>>
No. Supporting localizations is a really stupid thing to do.
>>
>>117472289
Are you chink?
>>
>>117463775
I would if I could.
>>
I have bought a few books in the past but the localizations are pretty expensive.
I'm thinking about importing some raw manga but the shipping is not cheap either.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.