[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why dont American animation studios and companies etc make their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: 1397287739719.jpg (130 KB, 803x561) Image search: [Google]
1397287739719.jpg
130 KB, 803x561
Why dont American animation studios and companies etc make their own anime?

Anime has been getting more and more popular here in the states, more anime is being picked up by funimation and so on, crunchy roll is getting bigger and bigger and offering a lot more than it used to.

So why dont more people here make japanese style animation instead of the old kinda ugly western shit? Korra and Avatar have been doing well so its not like it wont do good here.
>>
Most people think anime is creepy.
>>
>>116356342
They do make anime its called cartoons also because censorship in Amurica it makes it even worse
>>
>>116356342
They are called cartoons.
>>
Because it would look extremely out of place. Different countries, different art styles.
>>
Anime are cartoons from Japan.
You can't make cartoons from Japan from America.
Stop being stupid.
>>
No american will want an 80 hour work week just to release a 24 minute capeshit adaptation that might approach DEEN's level of animation. For madhouse levels, Americans will have to work 140 hours. No, they will just whine hard and accuse japan of inhumanity.
>>
>>116356342
>Korra and Avatar have been doing well

AtlA did well, not Korra. Nickelodeon hate Korra so much they dropped it from TV broadcasts halfway through a season. I still like it but that doesn't mean its ratings weren't shit.
>>
File: chose your destiny.png (1 MB, 803x561) Image search: [Google]
chose your destiny.png
1 MB, 803x561
marry, fuck, kill, ignore, kiss, pure love
>>
Considering the subject matter in most animes, I doubt you could get away with that shit in the west without SJWs popping multiple aneurysms.
>>
>>116356455
>not giving the man a number
faggot
>>
>>116356455
ignore all
>>
>>116356455
>>>/out/
>>
Why is anime a niche again? It's popular and has a shit ton of fans. Is it a lame excuse to price their BD's in insanely high?
>>
>>116356438
Did they really drop it from tv? So its web only now? I knew the kuvira story was boring as hell.

Kuvira did nothing wrong anyway
>>
>>116356468
>what is 6
>>
>>116356455
Ignore all.
>>
>>116356478
Because only the hardcore buy anime when manga and games are cheaper.
>>
>>116356478
niche doesn't imply unpopular, it means it appeals mainly to a specific group of people, in this case being otaku.
>>
>>116356478

Japan only makes anime for Japan.
>>
>>116356508
>>116356522
>>116356527

Why don't they make their own centralized website where all the published manga and anime is released. That way they can eliminate the middle man that's probably even making more money than them.
>>
>>116356484
They dropped it halfway through the 3rd season. Surprising since it was a lot better than the previous two.
>>
>>116356342
Are you actually retarded, or just pretending?
>>
>>116356435
It's all made in Korea anyway

and they have been releasing a bunch of direct2dvd Capeshit movies
>>
Because there is no profit in animation. Despite what you think anime is a niche market that barely exceeds the comic market without the cinematic presence to justify a low profit subsidiary.

Even in Japan the animation industry is only the lower end of the entertainment spectrum, valued less than variety television programming. It's part of the reason voice actors have to present themselves as multi-talented idols. There's just no money in animation.
>>
>>116356342

Holy shit you are retarded. Go back to MAL.
>>
>>116356588
Who the fuck would fund something that produced little to no profits?
>>
>>116356631
You don't make anime to sell anime. You make it to advertise your product, which is mostly manga.
>>
>>116356588
Given that Nickelodeon have repeatedly moved Korra's timeslot with little to no warning, including moving it to the Friday night 'slot of death', and have barely promoted or advertised the show, it's really no surprise that ratings haven't impressed. Nick only have themselves to blame.

A real shame, too - season 3 has been absolutely the best so far.
>>
>>116356631
Anime is pretty much advertisement for products
>>
>>116356643
Or LN, VN, figma, sometimes even real novels.
>>
>>116356555
>centralized website
http://manga-anime-here.com
>>
>>116356455
marry shirtless jii-chan
fuck the white bag on 4's lap
kill 3
ignore 3'd pink frilly bag
kiss pole
pure love with 3's stripy bag
>>
They do. There've been plenty of American anime clones lately.
>>
>>116356649
so just like transformers back then?
>>
>>116356631
Anime exists as promotional material. It has since the 60s.

In the past it was all about toys. Now it's about pushing manga, toys, pizza, but primarily it operates as previews for music.

It's why Gundam Seed is considered a failure inside Bandai but not Sunrise; because gunpla didn't sell. Only Kira kits sold.
>>
>>116356342
If you mean why (current) western animation doesn't resemble anime from japan it's because it's not patriotic to copy another art style.
>>
The biggest hurdle in the west when it comes to creating an animated show that goes beyond your standard TVY7 Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon stock, is to answer this very basic question: "Why not do it in live action?"

it's harder to come up with an answer than you think, especially since CGI allows you to do things that you decades ago might just have had to regulate to animation.
>>
File: Lolirock.jpg (1 MB, 1070x1500) Image search: [Google]
Lolirock.jpg
1 MB, 1070x1500
>>116356342
They'll have to learn from France as with everything else of theirs.
>>
>>116356755
>It's why Gundam Seed is considered a failure
>this is what /m/ actually believes
>>
>>116356793

> babymetal ripoff

fucking frogs
>>
Because they can't and don't want to. Why the fuck would they anyway, they outsource Korra and even Spongebob to Korea for gods sake. Implying they would be able to make a technically demanding 2D animation project here.

>>116356435
There's no way they would be able to get close to DEEN's level of execution. DEEN has been around for a long time and has gotten a lot of experience over the years. Plus the standard in general is just higher in Japan for 2D animation. Gaijin probably wouldn't even be able to get decent work in inbetweening studios in Japan. You need to be autistic like the Japanese who don't mind drawing 24/7 in a culture that embraces and takes pride in its 2D animation.

Plus the market for anime is pretty much cornered. It doesn't make any sense to get into that market with all the competition from countless studios. Gaijin are way too far behind (most of the decent classically trained 2D animators like renaissance Disney animators were laid off so fuck 2D animation, right?) and producers of animation studios don't want to take risks in the first place. The shows that sort of try to do more experimental work get canned pretty quickly anyway.
>>
>>116356793
Is this show any good?
>>
>>116356892
It's supposedly a music-oriented precure-like.
>>
>>116356342

They have been, just it isn't "anime" in the way we'd want it to be, unfortunately. Over the years there have been lots of shows that are arguably inspired by or have influences from anime, such as:

Teen Titans, Code Lyoko, Ben Ten, and like you mentioned korra/avatar.

Whether it be visual design, humor, story structure, style of fighting and rivalry, etc., these and many more have lots of similarities with anime and have notable significant differences from other western shows of their genre (examples: Teen Titan's humor and chibi stuff, Code Lyoko having two Japanese main characters and even other important characters are asian and in the virtual world they have a cute nyan warrior and the two japanese are ninjas or some shit, Ben Ten is a superhero show but it has a big emphasis on rivalries with that edgey punk Kevin dude as well as the main characters encountering a lot of the same enemies multiple times throughout the show when characters are at different power levels or the characters having shounen-esque one on one fights where they power up).

Also probably just because a lot of people who don't know anime will see animation = kids show, and like other people said the culture is just different; a lot of Americans are into live action things because that's how they grew up, it could take a long time before any kind of major change happens in regards of more adult animated shows or animated shows for teens (that aren't just adult humor like simpsons/family guy/south park). Speaking of that, a lot of parents would be against shows like Naruto for even their teens, so it would be hard for such shows to do well, especially because there already is a lack of shows between "kid's cartoons" to "adult cartoons".

Also it's just way cheaper to license an anime and dub it and release it instead of planning, writing, and producing an entire project.

Well, those are my thoughts
>>
>>116356342
Because by definition it wouldn't be anime. Animation from Japan are 'anime' while animation from western countries are 'cartoons'.

If you're talking about the style than this is where differing culture, differing public opinion and differing infrastructure for the media influences its prominence in each country.

Firstly, and I find this the big one, is the animation style (not the aesthetics). Ever notice how the mouth animation is different? Because in western animation it's expected for accurate mouthing whereas in 'anime' its basically a close representation of sounds. This creates a huge double standard that creates a huge difference in time-comsumption and quality. Anime is a fucking marketing device for other products (manga sales, adaptations) whereas 'cartoons' aim to tell an intriguing narrative or be easily consumable and make a profit off that.

A better solution would be getting fucking respectable VAs in the states, though the VAs over there are multi-talented and paid well so that's a hard feat to beat.
>>
>>116356342
>Korra and Avatar have been doing well so its not like it wont do good here.

Yeah this part is what I really don't get. Avatar was a huge success, everyone and their grandmother watched it. You would think that they'd make all their cartoons follow suit but I guess not.
>>
File: LadyBug.webm (2 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
LadyBug.webm
2 MB, 960x540
>>116356793
Where the hell is my LadyBug?
>>
Animation in general in I think America/Europe is looked upon as a childish thing you should grow out of.

Look up the grammy voting for the animation category most recently when it was like Frozen, studio ghibli, and other stuff iirc. Yeah I know
>grammy
but you can see just the amount of vitrolic hate the voters had towards the category. Many of them pretty much went along this line of thought
>i'm too old and mature for cartoons/animation so I'm not going to abstain my vote
or
>why is this a category, i'm just going to vote for frozen because it's disney but i didn't bother to watch any of them.

Korra's having their own problems because they had such shitty seasons up till recently. That and nick just wants to shill their live action and spongebob.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to get at is that the western animation industry doesn't fare as well as the it does in Japan, so many studios are really reluctant to try new things or stray away from what they know will put money on the table guaranteed
>>
>>116357212
While still bad, I'd say Europe is in plenty better shape than the US.

Common people accept the existence of adult-oriented comics and cartoons without them having to be edgy underground creations. Eyes may roll, but you won't get laughed at.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.