[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is horror such a shit genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 13
File: Pupa_Manga_Cover_Volume_1.jpg (89 KB, 316x450) Image search: [Google]
Pupa_Manga_Cover_Volume_1.jpg
89 KB, 316x450
Why is horror such a shit genre?
>>
>>115829670
It's a good genre. Stop reading shit manga however.
>>
The horror genre is like comedy: very, very hard to do properly. Interestingly, if done poorly both genres tend to swap. (E.g., the Another anime ended up as a comedy, and boring comedies tend to be horrifically boring experiences.)
>>
Nips are fucking great at horror but for some reason, it's hard for them to do it on anime & manga. Maybe it's because 2D is seen as a childish entertainment for children and manchildren
>>
Stop reading shit.
>>
>>115829670
cause you can't stick your dick in it
>>
>>115829852
I wan't to rewatch Corpse Party:Tortured Souls now, that was the funniest anime I've ever seen
>>
>>115829670
Ito is best
>>
>>115829670
But Pupa is a comedy
>>
File: 1398689098236.png (486 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1398689098236.png
486 KB, 1280x720
>>115830023
Well, there's gore / guro, which is either not horror or merely a sub-category of it. Is horror properly about scares?
>>
File: censor pls.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
censor pls.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
>>115830172
do you happen to know any worse animes?

I'm legitimately curious
>>
File: batlaughs.jpg (48 KB, 258x384) Image search: [Google]
batlaughs.jpg
48 KB, 258x384
>>115830236
This is like some 4kids level shit
>>
>>115830416
also in case anyone was wondering, that is a knife being censored (they forget to censor it about 30 seconds later)

also bite the sheets onii-chan I'm going in dry
>>
>>115830630
>Fuck it, let's just have her say Onii-chan for 5 minutes.
>>
>>115830630
>30 second later
even less, there's exactly 5 seconds between the censored knife screenshot and this one.
>>
>>115830236
What is it like a dildo, he is threatening him with a dildo?
>>
>>115830236
The Panzer Dragoon OVA
>>
Horror is hard to do in the anime/manga style because those styles are normally a "cute" aesthetic which conflicts with the horror elements. Even when used as juxtaposition, such as in Higurashi, the cute element overwhelms the horror element. Then again, I don't usually get scared by horror. The worst I ever feel is disgusted, so maybe I just don't really know what scares most people.
>>
>>115830236
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uU8YaBqr7E
>>
>>115831787
Yet another faggot talking about shit he has little knowledge about.

>normally a "cute" aesthetic
Read more manga.
>>
>>115831868
Okay, let me read more manga. Yes more cute looking things. Oh wait, you don't know what normally means.
>>
>>115831904
No, you just severely underestimated how much manga are there. I can agree with you regarding anime, but manga? Fuck no.
>>
>>115831550
I forgot how much 30 seconds covered in that show
>>
>>115831904
It seems neither do you.
>>
>>115831904
There's actually a hell lot more "non-cute" art style in manga than you think. To be fair to you, your ignorance probably stems from the fact that a lot of them aren't and never will be translated.
>>
File: Uzumaki_v02_c11_-_156.jpg (211 KB, 750x1104) Image search: [Google]
Uzumaki_v02_c11_-_156.jpg
211 KB, 750x1104
>>115831787
It seems like you don't have much experience with horror manga.

Stuff by Ito, Umezu, Maruo, etc. is hardly cute looking.
>>
>>115831946
You are severely underestimating the number of manga with typical cute aesthetic. Manga is derived from this aesthetic, such as how Bambi influenced Tezuka. You'll find some manga with more realistic character designs but they are outnumbered. Even serious manga like Punpun uses a cute aesthetic.

>>115832048
And there are way more cute style manga.

>>115832058
I never denied that there were stuff that isn't cute. I said the reason horror is hard to do in anime and manga is because they normally use a cute style. That's why shows like Higurashi or Another can never be scary no matter how hard they try.
>>
>>115832114
>And there are way more cute style manga.
No there isn't. Go look at the top selling manga and tell me what you consider cute.
>>
>>115832114
It still is far from "normally". Serious, can you read moon? Have you ever tried looking at all the shit that aren't translated? Go look at them.
>>
>>115832114
Another was shit for many reasons, cuteness was not holding it back
>>
File: Drifting Classroom v3 p069.png (628 KB, 1750x1250) Image search: [Google]
Drifting Classroom v3 p069.png
628 KB, 1750x1250
>>115832114
>I said the reason horror is hard to do in anime and manga is because they normally use a cute style

But my point is that almost no horror manga is done in a cute style.

The whole genre tends to have an art style of its own that's pretty far removed from stuff done in the cutesy vein.
>>
>>115831800
that dub is bible black bad
>>
>>115831800
I'm 10 minutes in
Thank you so much for posting this work of art
>>
>>115832275
It's not a dub, that's the only audio track that was ever done.

It was released in Japan like that with Japanese subtitles.
>>
>>115832317
I've reached Footloose
Does this ever stop being a series of montages?s
>>
Horror in movies, books and even in manga can be great.
In anime the most decent thing I know is yami shibai, which I like it, but is mainly jump scares.
>>
>>115832140
Okay going off of http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-06-03/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2014/.75177
I consider most if not almost all but one or two having a cute aesthetic.
>>
>>115832416
No. No it doesn't.

Wait until you get to the second Footloose montage.
>>
>>115830236
>>115830630
>>115831800
>>115831760

while I don't consider this pupa bad here's a terrible anime (and it's horror themed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD9VL66sXXA
>>
>>115832451
Cool, I'm glad we have an understanding. You think everything manga is cute and there's no point in arguing otherwise. Even amongst battle shounen and a bunch of edgy shit.
>>
>>115832442
>movies
99 percent of horror movies is laughably bad, and before you ask I'm not just talking about shit slasher movies like Nightmare on Elm Street.
Lynch
>inb4 hurr overrated hack
is closer to making actually scary movies than most
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq4gkz9bH68
Seriously, this shit is more unnerving than every single horror movie I saw.
>>
>>115832569
Yes because they borrow from the mainstream manga aesthetic which is a cute one. Big glossy eyes, small noses, small lips, these are all stylizations that make the characters appear more cute. The round geometry also makes characters more cute. These traits are considered cute and when I refer to a cute aesthetic it's these things I'm talking about. A manga can use this aesthetic without having the actual story be "cute". When I refer to cute I don't mean the hypercuteness found in some things like K-On, I'm talking about the base manga aesthetic which was derived from the Disney aesthetic. There are manga that don't have this aesthetic and they typically feature humans that are more realistic looking and less stylized.
>>
>>115832662
>99 percent of horror movies is laughably bad

Eh there are lots of good horror movies, just a lot of the good ones aren't actually really scary despite still being good movies (Psycho, The Shining, etc.)

You're right that Lynch's stuff is probably the best in terms of actually being scary.
>>
>>115832662
Western movies? Maybe. But the Asians are pretty damn good at making horror movies.
>>
>>115832758
I'm not sure you're going to find many people with the stance that basically all cartoons are cute.
>>
>>115832824
It also sounds impossibly faggy, no offense.
>>
File: 060.jpg (266 KB, 831x1200) Image search: [Google]
060.jpg
266 KB, 831x1200
>>115832758
>Big glossy eyes, small noses, small lips, these are all stylizations that make the characters appear more cute

Except most horror manga characters don't have these traits. Look at the examples I posted above.

The horror genre of manga has its own art style pretty much and doesn't really try to look cute at all.

I don't have much experience with horror anime though so I can't really say anything about what that looks like.
>>
>>115832760
>Psycho, The Shining
Those are good in terms of horror because they are unsettling and creepy, not because they make you jump.
The blood elevator scene in The Shining, if you see it in a theater, is fucked. Makes me squirm
>>
>>115832873
Look at how they modified Parasyte as an example, if you're willing to count Parasyte as horror.
>>
File: 2.jpg (222 KB, 2000x1400) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
222 KB, 2000x1400
>>115829670
Cause u read shit series.
Anyone know a good horror anime/manga? all I know are Junji Ito works.
>>
>>115832824
Not all cartoons. A lot of western cartoons are not cute and use a more "disgusting" style especially AS cartoons.
>>
>>115833078
Read Kazuo Umezu's stuff, he's Ito's most visible influence. In my opinion The Drifting Classroom is his best work but it's not entirely horror. It has scary parts but it's more of a survival drama.

Suehiro Maruo has made lots of classics too, check him out.

Here's a good list of recs for other stuff:
http://spiraphobia.tumblr.com/recommendations
>>
>>115833176
>http://spiraphobia.tumblr.com/recommendations
lol, tumblr. However, there's at least 5 gems in there. Thanks
>>
>>115832873
Sure you can say that most horror manga don't follow those traits, my point still stands that most manga do, and most anime horror follow it as well. Also even in your image, those characters look more cute than the girl from the exorcise.

Maybe if I said that anime and manga have a harder time being scary because they normally have a cartoonish aesthetic you would agree with me then? I still stand by my original point however.
>>
>>115833275
I don't know why something being on tumblr makes it any less valid but ok.

It's a pretty solid list if you're looking for new horror manga, tumblr or no.
>>
>>115833300
I meant Exorcist, obviously.
>>
>>115833176
>http://spiraphobia.tumblr.com/recommendations
Obligatory
>tumblr
Not a bad list though. There's still a bunch of other stuff I'd put on there though.
>>
>>115833300
I would agree that you have a harder time finding scary anime and manga because you're obsessed with cartoonish aesthetic.
>>
>>115833300
Oh just stop, you know little about horror manga, just admit it and shut up.
>>
>>115833300
Harder than what? Western cartoons? Or do you mean real life movies? Because each has positives and negatives for horror. It's easy to argue for any of them.
>>
>>115833481
I refer to real life movies, and also just text stories.
>>
>>115833300
You are full of shit.
>>
File: Cat-Eyed-Boy-v2-p022.png (726 KB, 2389x1800) Image search: [Google]
Cat-Eyed-Boy-v2-p022.png
726 KB, 2389x1800
>>115833300
>Sure you can say that most horror manga don't follow those traits, my point still stands that most manga do

And what does other manga have to do with horror manga? Are you literally saying that you judge horror manga based on the art style used by manga that isn't horror? How the fuck does that make any sense?

>Maybe if I said that anime and manga have a harder time being scary because they normally have a cartoonish aesthetic you would agree with me then?

No I wouldn't since most horror manga and a lot of seinen in general favors aesthetics based on realism over more cartoonish styles.

For comparison here's a horror manga targeted towards a younger audience that actually *does* have a cartoonish aesthetic. Compare it to my examples above and try to tell me that you don't see the difference.
>>
>>115833349
What else would you add?
>>
>>115832944
Jacob's Ladder is anothar movie pretty good both in making you jump and in creating a great atmosphere.
>>
>>115833603
Well, for starters I would lump The Enigma of Amigara in with the rest of Ito's collection, thus making it 64
>>
>>115833654
What would you add though? I'm looking for new stuff that I maybe haven't read yet.
>>
>>115833557
>And what does other manga have to do with horror manga?
I said that because people said my statement that manga usually have a cute aesthetic was false.

>Compare it to my examples above and try to tell me that you don't see the difference.
I do see a difference but the other stuff isn't exactly realism either even if they are less stylized than most manga and anime. I'm not saying your wrong in finding it scary, but the art style does make it hard for some people to find it scary compared to images of real people or even just leaving the image to your imagination.

Also I assume you are just talking about my statement about manga and not anime, right?
>>
>>115833603
I suppose I would add Blue Gender. I enjoyed it. It's pretty badly animated and it's also sci-fi.

It depends on what you enjoyed so far? Horror is so subjective and personal that by default any universal view of a piece of work automatically makes it of less worth when suggesting it to someone
>>
Sometimes work that's just Dark Fantasy gets the Horror tag, too. There's heaps of anime and manga that ah a little fucked up so they get called Horror. Which is incorrect.
>>
>>115833603
I don't know. Alien 9 and Milk Closet? Shiranui Kitanroku, Ishiguro's collection maybe. Stuff by Nishioka Kyoudai? And where the fuck is the Go Nagai?
>>
>>115833735
>I said that because people said my statement that manga usually have a cute aesthetic was false.

Because it is? You said that manga that isn't horror looking cute somehow has something to do with horror manga, which doesn't normally look cute.

I don't even understand what you're trying to say now.

>I do see a difference but the other stuff isn't exactly realism either even if they are less stylized than most manga and anime

There's a limit to how realistic comics can get by their very nature and horror manga tend to look about as realistic as they come.

I mean I guess if you don't like that then that's fine, you just gotta understand that drawings aren't photographs and that just because something is drawn doesn't mean it's done in a cutesy style or even has anything in common with manga done in that style.

I mean fuck, do you seriously label everything that isn't 100% photorealistic "cute"? That just reeks of inexperience to me.
>>
File: urlres.jpg (1 MB, 1400x1050) Image search: [Google]
urlres.jpg
1 MB, 1400x1050
>>115829670
probably becuse you read shit horror
>>
Anime and manga just isn't scary

Except maybe that arc in Ghost Hunt where they stayed in the mansion, it scared me a bit at the time.
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kHMmsyMBcc

/this thread
>>
>>115834032
>fiction just isn't scary
Fixed
>>
File: ultimate censorship.jpg (61 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
ultimate censorship.jpg
61 KB, 1440x810
>>115829670
Probably because the nips don't mind showing nipples but even a small amount of blood gets censored to death
>>
>>115834074
>>115834095
I fuckin called it
>>
>>115834132
Censorship is scary. The internet said so.
>>
>>115833935
I'll concede that manga isn't cute because it seems by saying that people didn't get my point.

>There's a limit to how realistic comics can get by their very nature and horror manga tend to look about as realistic as they come.
We watch and read horror because we know it isn't real which makes it easier for us to digest it. But there still needs to be an element of realism so that we can feel a fear of things happening in front of us. There are many forms of horror that range from an abstract to physical. Different people have different reactions but for some people the aesthetic in anime and manga is too unreal to feel that immediate sense of horror.

A lot of anime horror (not talking about manga) still retains the usual "cute aesthetic". If you don't like me calling it cute then I'll say it's clean and not ugly. By that I mean the visuals of most of the characters is attractive, unlike a lot of western animation where the characters look ugly. This is because of a lot of things like line-work, shapes, color, and proportions. My example I gave is Higurashi. The show is too "cute" to be seen as scary.

>mean fuck, do you seriously label everything that isn't 100% photorealistic "cute"?
No but a lot of anime and manga are. Stick figures are not cute, most modern and ancient art is not cute but some western animation such as Pixar films are "cute". A lot of cartoons are, but a lot aren't. Western comics aren't normally cute, and AS animations are not cute.
>>
>>115832114
>horror is impossible to create non-visually
are you for fucking serious real?
>>
>>115834416

>>115833507
>I refer to real life movies, and also just text stories.
>just text stories
Sometimes elements can conflict with each other and so something that would have been scary isn't. It's like bad acting in a horror movie. The elements might be scary but if it's delivered in a poor way then it's no longer scary.
>>
>>115834371
>The show is too "cute" to be seen as scary.
I'm guessing you've never felt the effects of juxtaposition then. Not that it necessarily applies to Higurashi, I just found it pretty boring personally.

I can really see how your skewed point of view makes it difficult for you to enjoy manga. Or rather a whole lot in general. That's your own personal problem that you have to deal with.
>>
>>115834475
your argument is still that horror is impossible simply due to aethetics
if the framing and balance of the imagery is appropriate for evocating a certain feeling it wouldn't matter what the visual themes were
certain something as broad and simple as 'cute' wouldn't be grounds for something to be not horror
however poorly thought out construction of imagery would ruin even the most terrifying designs and well-crafted plot

in sum, execution is far more important than content and style in creating an emotional piece, which is what horror is
>>
>>115834540
Is it really so hard for you to understand that some people find realistic images more scary than drawn images? I'm not saying anything outlandish here. Do you think I'm personally insulting you by saying this? I don't have a problem enjoying manga. I just don't get scared by it, and for a lot of people that's what they want from horror. I personally prefer the atmosphere of horror over the actual "scares" and I like a feeling of dread rather than a feeling of fright. In that way I can still get an enjoyment from horror manga but that's not enough for some people.

>>115834637
Style is execution.
>>
>>115834822
>Is it really so hard for you to understand
Speak for yourself.
>>
Horror is just really difficult to do because it needs to be interesting with a certain amount of mystery to it, and it needs to be able to maintain a good atmosphere which generally requires very good writing and pacing. Both of which anime is very well known for in general. Not to mention there isn't very much that actually falls into "horror" and isn't just drama with some thriller/gore elements put into it, so when you have such a small pool to choose from, it'll mostly be shit.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.