[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which historical periods/characters that you would like to have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: Shimadzu_yoshihisa.jpg (223 KB, 586x580) Image search: [Google]
Shimadzu_yoshihisa.jpg
223 KB, 586x580
Which historical periods/characters that you would like to have more manga/anime about?

My picks:

- More of Chinese history. Chinese history is not Rot3K only.
- Mongolian history
- The Kyushuu region in the Sengoku era (picture related). They tend to be very underrated in most anime/manga (seems like only in Nobunaga's Ambition and Drifters that they are really good)

Something about European history would be interesting, but Japan is an Asian country and probably has more of an interest in Asia history (just like many people in the west know a lot about France/Germany but probably not the name of a single Chinese Emperor).
>>
>>114474590
I want a grimdark ufotable version of the bakumatsu period.
Clamp or Sunrise WWII would be fine, too. But if Sunrise does it, it will need to be from a nazi perspective.
>>
If you want chinese, go read Manhua.
>>
>>114474590
I'd love to see an anime of Japan from the end of WWI to the 1930's. It was a hopping place in the 20's. Every Eurocrat and American expatriate wanted a go in Tokyo. Even Earnest Hemingway visited, got shit-faced, and started smooth talking high-end geisha.
It'd be an energetic setting, but you could also make some poignant points about the changing world, and foreshadow the looming depression.
>>
An accurate interpretation of the Sengoku era, without robots, harems, the main characters being female, a modern telling of said character, or with over the top powers. Is it that hard to accomplish?
>>
>>114475113
Probably.
>>
File: 1400578726645.jpg (32 KB, 237x241) Image search: [Google]
1400578726645.jpg
32 KB, 237x241
- Real european medieval setting, no romanticism and no supernatural elements (mystery/folklore exists though).

- Ancient Babylonia, with more mystery-elements and possibly some supernatural stuff.

- There also needs to be more stuff about economics and politics in general, not necessarily tied to a specific time period.
>>
>>114475113
It is when you have at least 5 sengoku period anime a season and want to keep things fresh.

How about you just watch one of hundreds of older sengoku period anime instead of wanting more of them.
>>
Genghis Khan repopulating the world
>>
>>114474701
>I want a grimdark ufotable version of the bakumatsu period.

There is that Kenshin OVA.
But the thing is, if they did that, they would probably make the Shinsengumi the heroes and the Imperialists the villains.
>>
>>114475186
Except all the old ones are just like I described. I'm wanting more LoGH or Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
>>
>>114475266
Except they aren't. Stop espousing your narrow view and actually look for them.
>>
>>114475177
>- There also needs to be more stuff about economics and politics in general, not necessarily tied to a specific time period.

Artists can't Economics. Usually, you get at best some kind of naive Keynesianism (naive Keynesianism =/= Keynesianism).
>>
>Grimdark setting featuring American Indians and their everlasting warfare against rival clans/tribes, with beautiful muh nature shots and adventure every now and then. Mystery allowed but no real superpowers (see: Golden Age Berserk).

>Alternate-history Conquistadors discovering only ruins where the South American/Mexican civilisations should have been. They explore jungles, cities, tombs and temple complexes. With slightly supernatural horror elements.
>>
File: 1406670018673.jpg (55 KB, 681x663) Image search: [Google]
1406670018673.jpg
55 KB, 681x663
>>114475628
>Alternate-history Conquistadors discovering only ruins where the South American/Mexican civilisations should have been.
10/10 would learn moon to read raws, read translations, buy from Japan and buy in English.
>>
Can anyone explain why Western daimyos (Shimazu, Mori, Otomo, Chosokabe) are less common in anime than Eastern ones?
>>
>>114475415
Keynesianism is Keynesianism, no matter how uninformed.
>>
Anything martial arts/fighting sports related.

We've been getting all of these moeblobs and edgelord anime. Good recent martial arts anime when?
>>
>>114476108
Well, there is a difference between Greg Mankiw and a non-economist Keynesian.
>>
>>114474590
>just like many people in the west know a lot about France/Germany
The prevalence of the cheese eating surrender monkey stereotype more than proves you wrong. The truth is, most people don't know anything about history, especially history that isn't related to their own country.

As for the focus of manga, it makes perfect sense. They focus on Japanese things because the authors are Japanese (duh), and their media are more influenced by the West than by the rest of Asia in recent years.

Still, I'd be interested in more Chinese stuff in manga. Or maybe something about the ancients.
>>
>>114476193

It would probably not be popular enough, due to the groundfighting part of it.
Unless its less about the fighting and more about the road.
>>
>>114474590

1.)Real Medival Europe with Holy Roman Empire, France, Austria, Engand, Poland,Hungary and so on...

2.)Slav folk tales

3.) Ancient World with Rome, Chartage, Egypt, Persia, Greeks and so on...

4.) Ancient level Martian civilization some 1.000.000 years from now where it was Terraformed by a great Earth Lead Empire/Federation/Thing but something big happened and humans disappeared. These Martians now worship a very few ancient relics and one of them houses a human in suspended animation that one day wakes up and decides to teach martians technology. He is some sort of super human naturally and has an AI integrated with him. He builds up the martian civilization over centuries and finally at the end they join humanity in some sort of ascension whatever.
>>
File: 22ENC.jpg (86 KB, 405x333) Image search: [Google]
22ENC.jpg
86 KB, 405x333
>>114474590
>>
To all the people wanting real medieval Europe: what do you expect? Do you want some manga that's for example a biography of the life of Philippe Auguste? I don't really see a lot of potential for real historical Europe in anime or manga.
>>
>>114476431
Life on the Austrian border, turks are invading the Balkans, Greek family trying to deal with invading turks and fleeing to Italy. Shit like that would be awesome. Basically Evil Turks invade but they're all not that evil since they have a great empire and technically better technology nad warfare skills then Europeans. After the battles make life under the turks.

Show ends with Turks getting the fuck out in the 19th century.
>>
>>114476431
In anime/manga, maybe not, since they are Japanese media and they probably know more about Japan and China than about Europe.

But:

- Charles Martel

- Charlemagne

- Rolo of Normandy

- The Early Capets

- The Kingdom of Sicily

- William I of England

- The 1st Crusade

- Holy Roman Emperor vs Pope

- The 100 Years War

- Maximilan I of Habsburg (the MOST underrated one)
>>
>>114476431
Rather than following a historical person, I'd have the story center around one (or several) randomly placed people, depending on what you want to focus on. For example I would love a light hearted tale of a monk going on about his daily life and hearing all sorts of stories from travelers. There are only two reasons a story like couldn't work and they're heavily intertwined:
1. The ratings would suck
2. No one wants to fund a show that has no profitable future
>>
File: 1402449360158.png (140 KB, 332x450) Image search: [Google]
1402449360158.png
140 KB, 332x450
>>114476661
>There will never be a 100+ episodes strong, hyper realistic and historically accurate depiction of the 100 years war.
;_;
>>
>>114476431
There is stuff like that already, see Historie, Vinland Saga, Wolfsmund, and Cesare are a few examples. If you meant an exactly true to life story then I agree.

I'd love to see a Napoleanic Era manga. I'm sure there probably is one already, but I've never found it.
>>
>>114474590
ancient greece
ancient philophical shotas doing ancient philophical things. athena grands them mechas to fight the persians. persians are brown amazonian sluts.
>>
>>114476890
A series focussing on Ancient Greek theatre could be fantastic. Humour, politics, sex, violence, drama, lengthy speeches - what more could you ask for.
>>
>>114477108
indeed
feels proud to be a greekfag

or you could make logh in ancient greece with alexander as rheinhard. he's basically alexander, just replace space-un-alliance-rebels with barbarians
>>
Celtic Mythology

Completely unrepresented.
>>
>>114476671
>For example I would love a light hearted tale of a monk going on about his daily life and hearing all sorts of stories from travelers.
That sounds pretty awesome, actually. You could make it a sort of anime version of canterbury tales with a monk, a crusader, a nobleman, a peasant and a merchant going on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem and exchanging tales. Sometimes the stories would be interrupted by things actually happening to them during their journey (like a storm, bandits attacking, locals asking for help etc.) and the final episode would have them actually reaching Jerusalem.

For the sake of making things more interesting, you could have each of them come from very different regions of Europe (a Florentine monk, a Frankish crusader, a nobleman from the Holy Roman Empire, a Hungarian peasant, a Venetian merchant etc.)
>>
A [good] representation of the American Revolutionary War

So I mean like a balls-to-the-wall Liberty Kids
>>
>>114476326
A good anime can be made about any topic.

Someone just has to step up and pick it up.
>>
The era when Dwarfs and Elves aren't extinct yet
>>
>>114477201
I always thought Alexander was kind of overrated.

He defeated the Persians at their weakest, with their weakest ruler ever and a small Indian Chieftain. His father was probably better.
>>
>>114477360
So yet another Tolkien ripoff? Yawn.
>>
>>114477392
You also forgot that the Egyptians basically handed him Egypt on a silver platter and that he was already worshipped as a living god during his life. If I'm not mistaken, the most recent sources we have about him were written 400 years or so after his death, leaving plenty of room for mythification (IIRC, historians consider a classical text to be reliable if it has been written less than 150 years after the event).
>>
>>114477392
It's been argued that Phillip II would have gone on to be greater than Alexander and probably would have built an empire that lasted longer. Who can really say though
>>
Nobunaga
>>
>>114474590
I want something about the Chu-Han Contention with some intense action from Xiang Yu.

I personally prefer the Chu-Han conflict than Rot3K
>>
hutus and tutsis

It would be a tournament fighter
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.