[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scanlation Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 82
Not there yet.

What manga are you typesetting/translating/ripping?
>>
File: adventure_001.jpg (653 KB, 1738x1242) Image search: [Google]
adventure_001.jpg
653 KB, 1738x1242
>Age of Adventure

I'm doing Tezuka's Age of Adventure, it's going really slow as a one man job and my japanese is shit. I'm doing it becuase I fucking hate that almost all of Tezuka's works are untranslated.
>>
Was thinking of asking roankun to let me do Fujimi Lovers, but thought better of it. Considering doing a single volume romance piece from 1998.
>>
File: Untitled.png (539 KB, 1366x738) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
539 KB, 1366x738
I just finished typesetting this. My typesetting is very basic but I guess I'll be willing to do more in the future if groups aren't fussed about presentation.
>>
>>113697916

>my japanese is shit

Well, good luck I guess. Shit as in your have to spend half the time with a dictionary, or Google Translate-tier? Thanks for working on Tezuka though.
>>
I'm not working on anything at the moment but I just want to say that I've noticed that Photoshop CC's automatic crop/rotate is actually surprisingly good at dealing with wonky scans that used to throw it off. I was actually able to crop/rotate, denoise, resize, level, and resize again in a simple action that I applied to an entire volume while I slept the other day and it didn't screw anything up.

And the content aware fill seems to have been improved greatly as well. Doesn't give the sharp edges you used to get with CS6.
>>
>>113698065

I haven't made the jump yet, but CAF getting upgraded seems nice. Guess I'll see if I want to replace CS6 with it.
>>
>>113698065
There's a CS7?
>>
>>113698097
Not CS 7 but rather CC 2014.

>>113698097
It blends a lot more cleanly than it used to. I remember it used to give you a noticeable edge along the selection line, but it's a lot cleaner now.

I wish I was at home to pull up something to show an example, but then again I also don't have CS6 anymore to compare. You should try it out though. CAF is still very hit or miss like usual, but the smoother blending makes a big difference.
>>
>>113698050
>CS3
There's people who still use something that outdated?
>>
>>113698227

I assume I'm grabbing 15.1? I'll also see if there's a reliable portable version.
>>
More Arachnid soon, bitches
>>
>>113698275
I've got CS5 but I don't really like it. Would upgrading make a huge difference?
>>
>>113698334
As I remember the filters were improved greatly between CS3 and CS5, as well as having the addition of CAF in CS5. However since it was new in CS5 it's not the best CAF you can get out of Photoshop. Overall I had a good experience when upgrading, even more so when I went to CS6.
>>
>>113698293

Never even read that.
>>
>Used to scanlate in CS3 a few years back
>Topaz filter was starting to get huge
>Couldn't find a pirated version
>Around the same time Batoto appeared and people started to throw vitriol at scanlators because of Mangafox watermarks
>Despite not using watermarks myself, quit scanlation all together after seeing the community I was serving

Why do you guys scanlate?
>>
>that series a lot of people like and want scans for, but for some reason no one has picked it up

What's her name, /a/?
>>
>>113698408
By not being in shitty groups or doing things anonymously.
>>
>>113698408
I just work on things that I like because I like them. It's mostly for me really. I just share it with everyone else as well.
>>
>>113698408

>vitriol
Only leddit uses that term
>people shitting on scanlators because of Mangafox watermarks
Literally what
>the community I was serving
You mean you got into scanning not knowing that the community is a very ungrateful lot and seldom appropriately grateful? You don't scan for attention buddy
>>
>>113698408
I just like sharing things I enjoy with other people.

If you think mangafox was in any way acceptable, you deserve all the bitching you got.
>>
>>113698408
I genuinely enjoy translating. I take great pleasure in working the original Japanese into an English script that is not only accurate, but flows and reads smoothly. It always stokes my autism whenever I see half-assed translations that a) have inaccurate grammar or sentence structure, b) sound oddly formal and unfaithful to the original spirit of the manga/characters, or c) don't stay consistent. I'm doing this more for myself than the so-called community.
>>
>>113698412

I wish someone would just decide to work on Nekojiru's series.
>>
>>113698497
At first I assumed you were a newfag, but now that I think about it, it was over 3 years ago now. To make a long story short, scanlators learned that mangafox was making literally millions of dollars off of ad revenue by using bots to rip their works and put them on their own chain of sites.
As a result, scanlators started to watermark releases in a way that they only appeared if mangafox used bots to rip them. Most of the watermarks redirected the readers to the scanlator's personal sites, or to Batoto, a site where scanlators are able to collect ad revenue for their work.
This caused an enormous backlash by the manga reading community at large, claiming that scanlators were massive jews that were ruining everything.
While I never received any of the backlash personally, just seeing how ugly the community got at other scanlators made me lose all interest in doing anything for them. Back then, the front page of /a/ was filled with nothing but threads bashing scanlators.
>>
>>113698788
Huh. That's pretty weak. Fuck Mangafox and fuck anyone who thought that was acceptable. Also, I didn't know you could make money through Batoto.
>>
File: mperusona_006_001.jpg (556 KB, 1740x1153) Image search: [Google]
mperusona_006_001.jpg
556 KB, 1740x1153
We're scanlating Megami Ibunroku Persona Manga... Currently on Volume 7 now but still need to release the remaining chapters of Vol. 6 and re-release the previous volumes.
>>
Anyone use Typesetterer? Just tried it recently with CS5 in win7 but whenever opened it I just got an error: Failed to load page - Photoshop is busy. Close any dialogs and hit OK. Did anyone else have the same problem? Also do you have any kind of auto cleaning/ typesetting script working in PTS?
>>
>>113698412
I'm trying to make it so there are lots of people who want scans, but I'm not making very much progress. I don't even care about it getting finished, I just want people to suffer.
>>
>>113698788
Not gonna lie, I wish I got money out of scanning. Every bit helps in these shit times.
>>
>>113698788
Nigga I'm not the person you're responding to, but I was around for that. It was incredibly retarded on both sides. It is not up to you to decide what people do with your scans once you release them on the internet; they're fair game the second you hit the upload button. If people are dumb enough to read them on mangafox in shitty quality then that's their prerogative. Scanlators acting like spoiled babies who insisted on their "work" being read the way they wanted and only the way they wanted was just as irritating as people saying that scanlators were only in it for the money and recognition (What money? What recognition?). That whole fiasco was monumentally stupid.
>>
>>113698926
I don't think you're going to see an automatic cleaning script ever. Some parts of the process can definitely be automated with actions once you find appropriate settings for what you're working on though.
>>
>>113698882
They would set up a google ad account for your group and give you revenue for whatever server/raw costs you needed them if you wanted, you could opt out of it. Then google said fuck you and cut the ads to Batoto so that ended like a year after it started.
>>
You don't need a script to clean, nor to typeset, it's all in the method and mostly in the will to actually do it. This shit never stops being tedious, no matter how fast you are. Even after the 100th chapter, it still feels like you're going through torture.
>>
>>113699142
Unless you have amazing raws in which case every day is a fun day.
>>
>>113698882
I don't know if it's still a thing, but you used to be able to link your Google adsense account with them.
>>113698952
It was a pretty shit rate, like a few cents per thousand views, so unless you were covering a shitton of manga, or doing the big three, you only made <5 dollars a month.
>>113699092
I remember /a/ mentioning something about trying to use click fraud to get the ads off of batoto so the scanlators wouldn't make anything, but at that point I couldn't care for scanlation. I guess they did it.
>>
>>113699157

Go read History Disciple Kenichi.

No, as a matter of fact just look at the latest chapters, manga is shit. Tell me with a straight face you'd deliver that filtered abomination to your readers.
>>
>>113699157
Not him but amazing raws are still torture if the artist has a fetish for stroked text.
>>
>>113699181
I would because those raws are shit. If it was tank raws or raws from a magazine with good printing then obviously not.
>>
>>113699181
>those fucking tones

God damn it. I remember before I started doing this I never noticed shit like that, but now that makes me want to vomit.
>>
>>113699208

Amazing raws usually exist in hentai, and what little time you gain from cleaning you lose in redrawing (hentai has a lot more floating text) and moans breaking every fucking border they can.

>>113699216

A sharp yet dirty raw I can look at, I literally had to stop looking at Kenichi because it was hurting my eyes.

Topaz can be used but not like a retarded kid with a clicker would, you need a lot of moderation.
>>
>>113699181
>>113699262
I don't get it, it's just the usual topaz on trash weekly manga scans what's the big deal?
>>
>>113699280
I'd like to see the raws. I'm pretty sure you can fix them without turning dot screentones into piles of spaghetti.
>>
>>113699324
You can't, I've seen the raws for Kenichi before.
>>
>>113699280

That it's ugly trash they got used to because people like you never called them out for it.

Look at Lazarus H/TLLP: their editor has got a thousand chapters behind him counting hentai and non-h yet he's a fucking complete noob, he only stopped filtering and overlevelling his hentai after we called him out for it causing a shitstorm.

When I look at earlier Koe no Katachi scanlations and then crunchyroll, I wish I could find everyone complaining about CR scans and beat the hell out of them, it's like they can't stop talking out their asses.

>>113699341

You're not fixing them either, you're smearing vomit over a pile of dogshit.
>>
>>113699382
I thought people complained about CR scans because of the shitty TL in some series/chapters.
>>
>>113699341
I'd still like to see them. I'm sure it's an improvement overall, but it really looks like wayyyyyy too much topaz. If you throw a gentle surface blur onto it before running denoise you can avoid having to crank it up so high. And it looks like they didn't even use the detail recovery option at all.
>>
>>113699404

>muh artifacts
>>
>>113699419
You can fix that by a quick leveling.
>>
>>113699429

I mean that they nitpick just for the sake of shitposting.
>>
>>113699413
You could also probably lowball it and run it multiple times to avoid losing details.
>>
My Japanese is okay but I can't photoshop/clean/typeset.
Hope someone experienced picks up Hen Zemi someday.
>>
File: look-at-his-face-in-panel-1.gif (1 MB, 783x1169) Image search: [Google]
look-at-his-face-in-panel-1.gif
1 MB, 783x1169
>>113699514

I don't blame them but christ.
>>
>>113698064
im sorry but google translate shit tier. I'm thinking after I finish the volume I'll get my jap mate to proof read it and fix it for me
>>
File: img016.jpg (4 MB, 2517x3465) Image search: [Google]
img016.jpg
4 MB, 2517x3465
>>113699803
How do you even make scans that bad?
This is from literally the first doujin I scanned when I had no clue what I was doing.

Do they sell scanners at the dollar store, or what?
>>
>>113699803
Comparing it to mangapanda isn't really fair because mangapanda's clenaers are worse than chink cleaners.
>>
File: 683.png (2 MB, 1120x1600) Image search: [Google]
683.png
2 MB, 1120x1600
>>113700271
Magazine and doujin are different case man. The paper are made to be cheap so it it can sell cheaper with tons of pages.

On the other hand i glad digital magazine is a thing now,and Kodansa is slowly stepping it up with the quality game.
>>
There were a couple Working!! threads a while back that never went anywhere. I typeset everything that was translated in the thread which was 2 pages...

Honestly I would be interested in typesetting as a side whatever thing but too lazy to go out and find people who need it.
>>
>>113700271
>he thinks it's the scanners
The paper and print quality is like that, it's why you hear people complain about shitty raws all the time except for magazines with good quality printing.
>>
>>113699803
Oh wait, we were talking about mangapanda? I thought were were talking about niggerscream when it came to Kenichi and topaz.
>>
>>113700463
niggerstream*
>>
Waiting for Japanese raws of Dead Tube to show up.

Fucking chinkscans, every time...
>>
>>113700396
>>113700428
There's no way it can only people the quality of the paper. Because I've scanned doujin that have been on shit paper, too.
The paper was yellow and grainy. All I really had to do was tweak the color correction and histogram settings.
>>
File: HnKv03p001 downscaled jpeg.jpg (2 MB, 2843x2000) Image search: [Google]
HnKv03p001 downscaled jpeg.jpg
2 MB, 2843x2000
Scanning Houseki no Kuni v3. It has good paper quality and a neat holographic dust jacket, so I presume that it's making a good amount of money. Also got an animated PV.

>>113700396

Scanlations when?

>>113700398

That would require a dedicated translator. Hopefully Japanzai steps up their pace.
>>
>>113700541
>There's no way it can only people the quality of the paper
It is, I've bought weekly magazines before and it's definitely the paper and print.
>>
>>113700541
I had hard time reading a physical copy of one of those really cheap magazines a few years ago, they really are terrible and I doubt any doujin you've scanned compares to that.
>>
>>113700568
Soon.png Translator didn't post the script for typesetting yet.
>>
File: WIM11-0222-0223.png (1 MB, 1674x1200) Image search: [Google]
WIM11-0222-0223.png
1 MB, 1674x1200
GUYS PLEASE HELP

I am working on The World is Mine (https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=187), the last four volumes that never got translated in English, and I need someone to help me with whatever. I thought I could pull it off alone but doing a Seinen of this rank proved to be harder than I expected. What I've done so far:
>Cleaned all four volumes using public raws
>Translated the first two volumes
What's left:
>Translating the last two volumes (I plan on doing this in the next three days)
>Typesetting
>Some minor editing
>Proofreading and general quality control

Are there people here interested in helping me? Also, once I am done , how can I put my releases on MU? Can I release it as 4chan?
>>
>>113700569
>>113700582
I'll have to try it for myself.
What's would you consider the worst of worst?
Paper quality wise, what magazine.
>>
>>113700611

MU mods are usually on their periods and don't allow 4chan scanlations, just post it on Batoto.
>>
>>113700620
Shoujo manga for sure, followed by weekly shounen jump/sunday/magazine.
>>
>>113700705
Okay. I'll pick up a copy.
>>
>>113700688
That's what the Habanero site is there for.
>>
>>113700611
Release it as Habanero Scans on Batoto and it will be added afterwards by the blog's supervisor to MU.
>>
>>113700620
I don't have that much experience with actual magazines, but let's say Weekly Shonen Magazine or something.

>>113700705
Shoujo magazines are worse than that? Huh.
>>
>>113697669
Oh, is this the new one by the KnJ artist? Keep going
>>
>>113700730
>>113700732

Goodness, Habanero mind.
>>
File: 1389578741663.jpg (2 MB, 2078x3012) Image search: [Google]
1389578741663.jpg
2 MB, 2078x3012
>>113700728
No but seriously this is the best as far as quality you'll be able to get out of weekly manga (obivously for scanlation purposes, not public raws). You probably think that they can't possibly print something that shitty but you gotta understand that it's very cheap to use the shitty recycled paper that they use and shitty printing for magazines that are basically expected to be thrown out. It's why tankobons have such a gigantic leap in quality from mag raws.

Dengeki Daioh (monthly mag) for example ranged from bad to okay quality depending on the print until a few months after. After the 20th anniversary celebration issue the printing suddenly skyrocketed in quality and made shit a lot fucking easier. It's not just the paper, the printing itself is also important.
>>
>>113700730
>>113700732
Thanks guys, will do.
>>
>>113700914
I'll take your word for it. But I'm still pretty OCD and want to try for myself.
I'm sure people better than me have tried and failed. But I'm going to try anyway.
>>
>>113699382
The CR scans are still shit.

That compression is awful; it totally messes with the lineart.
>>
>>113701057
Have fun, and in the off chance you discover the secret to god quality scans, please share with us.
>>
>>113697669
I'm honing my scanning skills but I have one problem. It seems that I'm unable to decently separate cover from pages. I'm doing the ironing way but it always end up me mostly tearing the cover from the binding. The actual pages go very easy since it's just glue removal but getting the cover out is bloody hard (at least for me).
>>
I was thinking about recleaning Sidonia's special I did months ago, hopefully with better results this time. It was printed on some kind of glossy paper and anon's scanner couldn't handle that shit properly. Rescan is not really possible because that anon is long gone and chapter came as bonus to special edition of first BD set.
Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with this kind of cleaning and usually when I get closer to smoothness I need small lines start to disappear. I was particularly puzzled with first page because it's mostly dark colors. Is there any trick for scans like this one?
Said first page, had to upload it elsewhere because it's fucking huge https://mega.co.nz/#!fIhREQjb!o4167F2WFT9ETE_LSKuCruiQDWpgJZ2aBcoEHiF2pJs
>>
>>113699843
Then why do it in the first place if he's the one actually doing it?
>>
>>113701316
Slice it off with a box cutter?
>>
File: 1409725788149.gif (2 MB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
1409725788149.gif
2 MB, 1000x562
>>113697669
None because I'm a lazy faggot.
>>
>>113699843
>google translate shit tier
Please don't take this the wrong way: stop, you're doing it wrong. Really wrong. At least study till you're sufficiently competent before actually translating.

>get my jap mate to proof read
You might as well get your friend to do the translating and YOU do the english proofread.
>>
Got accepted as a trial translator for some group a fews days ago.

Translated the first page of something, and then noticed that, while not having understood it wrong, the way I translated it was absolutely terrible.

Looks like there's lots of fun waiting for me.
>>
>>113701128

It messes with the lineart in the same way a mosquito messes with an elephant.
>>
>>113701380
Sounds brutal but will try. Thanks.
>>
File: HnKv03p007.jpg (3 MB, 6514x4512) Image search: [Google]
HnKv03p007.jpg
3 MB, 6514x4512
Would anyone mind cleaning one or more of the following?

>Binding spread

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tew29i0hl8ad751

Pic related. I scanned it flat first, to get an idea of what it looks like, and then the individual halves folded over. I'd rather have the spine removed and the spread redrawn (silver fill-in and the white fluid), since there's probably no way to scan the spine nice and flat since it has glue hardened on it (and a cleaned spread would look better, in my opinion). The spread isn't solid white, so I would leave it with the slight silver tone that it has now unless it ends up looking better with the whites solid. Release resolution hasn't been decided on yet, so just leave a png in the original resolution please.

>Opening color pages

Just some leveling and an easy stitch. Colors should be a tad brighter, I think. I'll post an ebook page for comparison.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/13borbe3pa81ew0

Filedrop, if anyone volunteers:

http://www.mediafire.com/filedrop/filedrop_hosted.php?drop=b3c654b01d96fafe5a4cae5f9c92b3001220fc73d810932f68aa32f93e50ef0c
>>
File: 003.png (950 KB, 1128x1600) Image search: [Google]
003.png
950 KB, 1128x1600
>>
>>113701495
Wrong, go look at the subtle detailing lines, some times the compression all but erases them.

You need to use your eyes.

You're letting the butthurt you have over those who favor the fanscans blind you to CR's own faults. I bet you think their TL and TS are just peachy as well.
>>
File: art.jpg (207 KB, 1167x381) Image search: [Google]
art.jpg
207 KB, 1167x381
>>113701638

I do have quite a bit experience with editing, if you are disturbed by such trivial matters I suggest you join the army, they could use a sniper/sharpshooter, your eyesight is way too good for this place. If you don't like war, maybe you could start one of those activities where eyesight is relevant, like fixing clocks or something.
>>
>>113700620
Miracle Jump is pretty awful. Printing got a bit better after the renewal, but the pages are still wonky.
>>
>>113701902
Answer honestly now, do YOU work for CR? I bet you do. I bet you are shilling for your employer right now, because no sane person would defend their shitty scanlation work.
>>
>>113701969

I work on porn and not for money.
>>
>>113701969
He's just so upset that someone could find fault with the best copies out there.

CR gets handed perfect masters from Grorious Nihon, and they proceed to absolutely ruin them by compressing them into jpgs.

You can tell CR gives zero shits about their Manga properties; just look at their typesetting and that goddamned Ereader, or better yet, don't, seeing as how you might go blind and mad from how atrocious it is.

For example, here is one of the series's most impactful pages and this is the font they use to express the main character's shock.

Also, you can see the compression at 100% if you're not blind, look at the whites, they look fuzzy; that's the artifacts.
>>
I wish that artists releasing the raw, unlettered HQ source of their notable spreads, etc. was a thing that happened. I'm sure the fans would love that spread even more if it didn't have text on it and they could make a poster out of it.

Maybe I should ask some smalltime artist if that's possible, but it'll probably end up being a legal bullshit thing with the publisher.
>>
>>113702246
It happens sometimes, but never online. They're sold as posters.
>>
File: 049.jpg (2 MB, 2340x3200) Image search: [Google]
049.jpg
2 MB, 2340x3200
>>113702246
You should buy some artbooks, they're pretty much exactly what you're looking for.
>>
>>113702146
Absolutely agree. And it's not just CR that do this, though they are probably one of the biggest offenders. Lots of localized physical manga, in English/French/etc, are butchered. I happen to have the same volume, for some series, both in Japanese (original) and in English/French. The blacks and grays are burned to the point you cannot tell what's going on, large margins are cut from the sides, the sfx are fuckhuge and cover at least twice the original space, etc. Businesses have no passion for their work, they just want to make money.
>>
>>113702274

Interesting. Got an example? I'm guessing the obvious ones are the Big Three.

>>113702317

I should. I wonder how many manga artists release artbooks. I'd love to get some Takahashi Yousuke or Koike Kazuo.
>>
Gotta typeset ch 39 of Arachnid. I wish this author would use more space for his bubbles, it's really difficult to drop giant insect biology infodumps when you have to use multisyllable words instead of single characters. Also, it REALLY annoys me that he varies the font size from bubble to bubble. It makes it look like I'm doing a shit job when that's just how it looks in the japanese.
>>
I kind of want to learn to scanlate since I'm a useless NEET with nothing else to really do anyway, and I enjoy manga a lot. Is it easy to pick up if you know your way around the computer?
>>
>>113702382
Just a google image search for something like ?????????? will give you a bunch of results. And I know that Kishi, Oda, and Kubo have all released artbooks for their respective series. Most long-running series have at least one artbook, sometimes more.
>>
>>113702356
Wait till you see their digital releases. On top of all this shit it's downscaled by some retard who doesn't know shit about anything and fucks up all screentone.
>>
>>113702317

Not that anon, but I've never looked into art books. Are they listed under a consistent moon term on Amazon JP, like ?? ? I'll go browse.
>>
>>113702502
Typesetting and cleaning is, yeah. Scanning takes a little more work/money and translating is best left to people who know what they're doing.
>>
>>113702570
????? and ?? should cover most of them, yes.
>>
File: woeno.jpg (296 KB, 1404x459) Image search: [Google]
woeno.jpg
296 KB, 1404x459
>>113701983

Left is the original with just a 240w level layer to eliminate the artifacts filtering sounds insane for that little dirt, middle is that same page saved as PNG8 - 32colors, right is Jpeg at Quality 100% and no optimization whatsoever.

Point being, they'll never be able to release perfectly crystal clean scans unless they start releasing uncompressed anything-but-jpeg shit.
>>
>>113702741

Wrong quote

>>113702146
>>113701969
>>
>>113702741
>>Point being, they'll never be able to release perfectly crystal clean scans unless they start releasing uncompressed anything-but-jpeg shit.

That's the point, that's what they should have done.
These people are Professionals who are, ostensibly, getting paid for their work on this manga, they should provide the best possible quality for their, supposed, readers.

They don't have to clean or redraw anything, all they have to do is not compress them into a shitty format.
They don't give a shit.
>>
>>113702741
Mind giving me the original page?
>>
>>113702853
>>
>>113702843
>They don't have to clean or redraw anything
I think I saw some CR redraws a few days ago from Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou. It was hilariously bad. It wasn't even a hard redraw, either, it was pretty much babby's first redraw and they fucked it up. I'll see if I can find it in the archive.
>>
File: katachi.png (392 KB, 1127x1600) Image search: [Google]
katachi.png
392 KB, 1127x1600
>>113702876
>>
>>113703008
I remember that thread. Can't believe people are paid for that shit.
>>
>>113703008

Well, I mean for this Manga in particular, but yeah, I don't have a hard time believing CR would be awful if they actually had to scanlate from Raws.
>>
In the event that the editor for Houseki no Kuni ends up not really knowing what he's doing, would anyone like to volunteer for cleaning? You'd probably only have to do one volume, the subsequent ones are digital raws.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/houseki-no-kuni-r10749
>>
>>113703040
You just converted it to a PNG, what's the point?
>>
>>113702843
>>113703008
Found them. Can't be bothered to save them and repost them but they're at >>113351277 and >>113351315
>>
>>113703116
Did you actually open the page and check the levels?
>>
>>113702843

>These people are Professionals who are, ostensibly, getting paid for their work on this manga, they should provide the best possible quality for their, supposed, readers.

Don't give them too much credit. Fakku Books started the same way Crunchyroll did, and their main editor hadhas barely any meaningful experience with any of the basics. Things improve with feedback, if their audience either doesn't know or can't tell or just doesn't care, nothing can change.

>>113703008

Try to see if you can find them please, I'm curious.
>>
>>113703124
Oh yeah, that. They didn't even try to hide it or anything.
>>
>>113703132
No, I just opened them both in my browser. Now that I look into it, some white spots have been covered in black, but that's barely relevant.
>>
>>113703124
Wow, that second one is...
>>
>>113703224
I also got rid of most of the artifacts on the whites. I thought that's what you wanted to get.
>>
>>113703124

Holy shit, that second one. They really have no standards, do they?
>>
>>113703040
That's a lot better, the whites are so much less muddled than the CR version.

>>113703188
>Things improve with feedback

Thing is, CR doesn't seem to care even when they do get Feedback; there are tons of CR forum threads that complain about things which never get addressed, and when people directly asked the Head of CR questions in that reddit thread that concerned some of their policies, they flat out ignored, dodged, or mocked the questions.
>>
>>113703257

Oh, I see them now. Yeah, pretty bad, I'd have shit thrown at me if I so much dared to show hentai (not even mainstream, fucking porn) like that at QC.
>>
CR doesn't seem to have a quality control at all.

Sometimes their subs are pretty good, but awful ones still get through; that really shouldn't be the case.
>>
On one hand, CR has done some older manga that probably would have never been touched otherwise (Takao Saito, etc). On the other hand, everything else is awful.

Good thing someone's at least ripping anything that might be of value.
>>
>>113703406
I believe they said in that Q&A that some of their subs aren't done by them and they're legally obliged to use them due to the contract with whatever company they license it from. That's what happened with Haikyuu, I believe. Doesn't really excuse it, but it's pretty funny that sometimes they have to use shit subs.
>>
>>113703297

http://exhentai.org/g/680649/ccded8f391/

Check the second comment, check that abload gif, look at the source material. How does it make you feel?

How does this in particular make you feel?

http://exhentai.org/s/510e276d8c/655869-68
http://exhentai.org/s/05e4ebd3a7/680649-68

Now the funny part: these people make quite a buck off commissions, they are endorsed by hentai2read, and furthermore

http://exhentai.org/g/738009/962472b001/

>Im infamous all 500 plus of my releases Im so proud to be so infamous lol

That pipsqueak of an editor they have thinks he's worth a damn. You know why that is? Once again, for one guy complaining about it, fifty don't give a shit. He got bashed-ownvoted by a handful sadpanda people gathered on irc, but other than that they let him have his awful way.
>>
>>113703476
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're picking up shit that no one's touching, but everything they pick up that's not abandoned is of ridiculously poor quality.

Thank Christ they get masters for KnK or else that'd be mangled too, assuming their scanlating skills match their typesetting and localization skills.

If only we could get at the uncompressed, unlettered, masters and use some skilled typesetters.
>>
>>113703762
Apply for the job, leak masters to public, save the manga.
>>
>>113703824
I'm tempted, but the criminal repercussions scare me.
>>
>>113703824

That would probably be ruined because /a/ can't keep its mouth shut and would just send CR messages taunting them or something stupid.
>>
>>113703909

The leaker would just have to keep quiet and pretend that he knows a great cleaner. I wonder how secure their master files are even. They might just be sitting on an unsecure FTP somewhere.
>>
I'm one of the anons who helped proofread the script for the Shiwasu no Okina nudist beach story. We're waiting for the new raws to continue.

I was wondering what's the deal with the pages of the raw and the English release, since the raw is brighter. What's the closest to the original intent? (It's noticeable in Chrome and editing programs but not Firefox for some reason.)

http://exhentai.org/g/722512/0f37b331eb/ - Raw
http://exhentai.org/g/731139/df929b1479/ - English
http://exhentai.org/g/717200/085d424a1a/ - Chinese, different resolution, different tone too, dangit

Also I realize some pages have all these artifacts, I'm planning to clean that up manually at least.
>>
>>113702146
That's the font they use for titles.
>>
>>113704411
Honestly,it is hard to check unless you have the magazine on hand to check.
>>
>>113698050
I can't imagine what group would be OK with that typesetting
>>
>>113705265
Are you trolling? This looks better than what you would find on average. Not only that, but I see almost nothing wrong with the way it's typeset. What's your particular problem?
>>
It's always sad to see raws get uploaded yet no one to translate.
>>
File: 1400126342954.jpg (35 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1400126342954.jpg
35 KB, 512x384
>>113704411

Chinamen learned about the existence of topaz denoise (half tones are smooth and clean) and stopped crushing blacks, that stuff is filtered but not to excessive levels though so you might want to take advantage. Use chinese scans, nobody will complain.

One thing though: though png, the chinese stuff shows jpeg-like artifacts so you might want to take care of those, or not.
>>
>>113705360
Not that guy but
>Anime Ace
>>
>>113705360
The font.
The text placement.
>>
>>113705511

You really should take a proper look around yourself: for one decent typesetter there's 20 who suck dicks day in and day out. The last typesetter that wowed me was the guy working on Yamada-san, and it's over.
>>
>>113705511
Seriously? That's just nitpicking and has little to do with actual quality issue. As long as it's not comic sans, it's a non-issue.
>>
>>113705511
>>113705544
What's wrong with Anime Ace 2.0? Many many groups out there use it. The text many not be ideally positioned, but that's not important at all. Just a minor inconvenience.
>>
>>113705573
>doing your job correctly isn't important at all

Are you fucking serious?
>>
>>113705610
The job is to place the text on the image, it's not to please mentally-ill NEETs on an anonymous imageboard.
>>
>>113705573

Despite the title it's a fat enough font to be a hindrance depending on the type of balloon you meet. As unpopular as it may sound, Zud Juice shits all over it. Perfectly readable at any size, vertical slim font so it fits japanese-style balloons, it can get its spacing shrunk to nothingness and still be perfectly readable, italic and bolditalic have more oomph to them than Anime Ace. Unless you're working on floating text and you need a fat font to bullshit your way through, there's no reason to prefer anime ace.
>>
>>113705434

It's a tidal wave, you just have to hope you find someone interested enough to work on some raws that you post.
>>
File: 1355095773596.jpg (79 KB, 847x478) Image search: [Google]
1355095773596.jpg
79 KB, 847x478
>>113705556
>As long as it's not comic sans, it's a non-issue
>>
>>113705730

Many do it for the ego, if they don't see enough "drawing factor" they won't bother.
>>
>>113705008
Guess I'll just have to ask the typesetter.

>>113705498
The Chinese scan for chapter 3 doesn't have the original script, that's why we're waiting for the raw.

What about the raw for chapters 1 and 2? (How) is it filtered?
>>
File: typesettingguide102.png (948 KB, 600x3587) Image search: [Google]
typesettingguide102.png
948 KB, 600x3587
>>113705360
May be he is talking about the spacing?
>>
>>113705693
>Anime Ace
>fat
Stop. You don't know what a fat font is, you are embarrassing yourself. Maybe that's just your inane opinion, but please stop projecting it around. Keep your tastes to yourself.

It's really annoying to see all the hipsters hating on the popular fonts. First it was Anime Ace, which everyone ditched for pirated Wild Words. Then the hipsters started dissing Wild Words too. Now, apparently, we are supposed to use some niche unknown fonts that look like shit. Well, fuck you and your stupid opinions.

>>113705891
What spacing?
>>
>>113705943
The stuff on the pic i posted.It talk about most of thing of it.
>>
>>113705979
I skimmed through your image and didn't see the word "spacing" even once. So what spacing are you talking about?
>>
>>113705943
>Zud Juice
>niche
>>
File: aAYnVEg_460sa_v1.gif (1 MB, 346x277) Image search: [Google]
aAYnVEg_460sa_v1.gif
1 MB, 346x277
does anyone here makes money off of Scanslating mangas?

I'm actually very curious as to how much you price your commission.
Or how you take your payments... Paypal?
>>
>>113706062
Of course it's not niche now for all you newfags. Even two years ago, it was still pretty unknown. What about 5 or 10 years ago? Oh yeah, you were just starting primary school by then.
>>
File: japanese-raw-post-denoise.png (922 KB, 1107x1600) Image search: [Google]
japanese-raw-post-denoise.png
922 KB, 1107x1600
>>113705854

Fairly sure they topaz denoised. If abused it rapes your scans, if you touch your pages with it just a little bit it will take away some of the roughness from the detail.

Compare the halftones composing sky and colors in general, they are rough in the Japanese raw and all perfectly smooth in the china version. They worked on higher res scans so the result will be better.
>>
>>113704767
It's also the font they use for impassioned yelling which is ridiculous, seeing as how it's the blockiest, most unemotive font they could have used.
>>
File: 123761293861231 (3).png (411 KB, 882x671) Image search: [Google]
123761293861231 (3).png
411 KB, 882x671
FUCKING BOKURA WA MINNA KAWAISOU HAS SUCH SHIT SCANS ON THE RECENT CHAPTERS I COULD DO BETTER THAN THIS WITH MY EYES CLOSED
>>
>>113706152

I've always wanted to send them a mail with a few free shouting fonts, but do they deserve it?
>>
>>113706114
>making money off scanlation
>mangas
Just kill yourself, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>113705891
Do you have the first and other parts?

>Shaping a text block

I understand symmetry but doing stuff on my own, I get anal about phrase flow/emphasis as well. So the letter C choice there doesn't satisfy me. I'd do it like

We've got to
get to
the castle
before
it gets dark.

not left-aligned of course, centered)
>>
>>113706161
Then do it you faggot
>>
>>113706173
But that's awful.
>>
File: versatile.png (32 KB, 572x475) Image search: [Google]
versatile.png
32 KB, 572x475
>>113705943

Spacing.
>>
>>113706163
No, but it'd be better for us, so please show pity on them.

>Implying they'll change anything anyway
>>
>>113706128
>Now, apparently, we are supposed to use some niche unknown fonts that look like shit.
Stop living in the past.
>>
File: 123761293861231 (4).png (58 KB, 262x347) Image search: [Google]
123761293861231 (4).png
58 KB, 262x347
>>113706201
I DONT HAVE THE MANGA TO SCANLATE AND I DONT SPEAK NIP

But seriously, I don't understand how it's possible to produce such utter trash. It's nearly incomprehensible. I don't have examples because fuck that.
>>
File: 05_P3.jpg (135 KB, 595x842) Image search: [Google]
05_P3.jpg
135 KB, 595x842
>>113705891
>Anime Ace
Fuck the police.
>>
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gzyv0ywy4fdcwy7/IMG_0030.jpg

How does one deal with raws this huge? Was posted yesterday and I tried to do clean it without topaz but nothing actually looks good.
>>
File: 1410325542267.jpg (27 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1410325542267.jpg
27 KB, 500x400
>>113706165
chill nigga...

I've seen some anons at sadpanda threads and scanslations blog profit off it. So yeah the statement is just pure curiousity since paypal tends to shit on some "unaccounted" transactions...
>>
>>113706364
>I tried to do clean it without topaz
You don't need Topaz for cleaning, retard.
>>
>>113706364

Is he scanning straight into jpg, rather than tif or png?
>>
>>113706133
So the raw is already "topaz denoised" too? How can you fix rough tones yourself without scanning it again?

Sorry I'm brand new at this, just know how basic stuff like erasing and cropping (in GIMP). I'm hoping the group that scanned the Comic Aun issue with chapter 2 will scan the issue with chapter 1 so we can have consistent high res/quality scans.
>>
>>113706503

I topazed the raw to show it how it looks like, overlap the original with what I gave you and you'll immediately notice "my" half-tones are much smoother.
>>
>>113706466
That's how it was provided when someone asked for a page so I don't know
>>113668876
>>
>>113706300
>I DONT HAVE THE MANGA TO SCANLATE
FUCKING MANGAUPDATES THEN ANY FUCKING RAW SOURCE AND CHANCES ARE HIGH THAT YOU WILL FIND THOUSANDS OF TITLES AND SURELY THERE IS AT LEAST ONE THAT WOULD MAKE YOU INTERESTED

>I DONT SPEAK NIP
IT'S NOT THAT DIFFICULT IF YOU START WORKING HARD RIGHT NOW THEN IN A YEAR YOU WOULD BE PRETTY DECENT

Seriously, though, I'm going to project and guess that the real reason is that you don't want to work.
>>
>>113706536
I assume it plays havoc with text? Resorting to copy-paste for that, then...

Once I get it working on mine, I'll run chapter 1 through it and show the other guys, then hopefully we can update the gallery.
>>
>>113706677

Filter has nothing to do with text, text is slapped above whatever the page is.
>>
>>113706725
Yeah layers, but I don't have the work files, I'm not the typesetter.
>>
File: IMG_0030.png (346 KB, 1094x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0030.png
346 KB, 1094x1600
>>113706364
Here's my attempt, I'm not very experienced so please tell me what I did wrong.
>>
what´s the best font for scanlators?
>>
>>113706917
Anime Ace
>>
File: 1390915408193.png (133 KB, 1300x1600) Image search: [Google]
1390915408193.png
133 KB, 1300x1600
>>113706917
I would say you can go with these.

For normal text i used comic crazy thought.
>>
>>113706419

He won't take away the paper texture off that scan unless he either crushes blacks, overlevels white to death or uses topaz denoise/clean.

>>113706917

Real scanlators? Anything but Anime Ace.
>>
>>113706944
Who's Kurt?
>>
>>113706944
What's the font in between Hangover Monday and JellyKa Estraya? I can't read it.
>>
>>113706917
You should use multiple fonts. >>113706944 and the FwPA font guides should give you some pretty good ideas to start with and it's unlikely you'll need to use any other fonts very often. Just choose a set of fonts that suit that manga and stick to them.

As a main dialogue font, however, Wild Words is rarely unsuitable, though should only be used if you can't think up something more fitting to use.
>>
>>113707099

HL Thuphap 1BK I think.
>>
>>113706944
P.S: the font are aslo on the link on the bottom right.
>>
>>113707029
The link in the pic takes you to a download for a font pack that also includes that pic and a read me. He's a scanlator.
>>
>>113707270
>>113707223
>>113706944
Don't click virus! :(
>>
File: IMG_0030.png (3 MB, 4210x6000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0030.png
3 MB, 4210x6000
Didn't go too hard on blacks, but the dirty spots are very little, you can touch them up on your own. Ask your dutch wives if it's good enough.
>>
>>113707157
>Wild Words is rarely unsuitable, though should only be used if you can't think up something more fitting to use.

Just because it's overused?
>>
>>113707505
No, it's just a little bland. It usually doesn't look out of place or anything, but it doesn't always do the manga justice. Just use your discretion and decide if you could use something better.
>>
>>113707329
what?
>>
>>113706364
Manually find settings that work for topaz denoise, topaz clean, and level. Run that as a batch action on all the pages, and then go do some pushups or something while you wait for it to finish.
>>
File: IMG_0030.png (398 KB, 966x1400) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0030.png
398 KB, 966x1400
>>113706364
Just some light topaz denoise 5 to get rid of the paper texture and done.
>>
>>113707505

95% of the words you had to cut because you used wild words could've been kept together using another font. It's the same reason os of why stuff like cccomicrazy doesn't quite work.
>>
>>113710196
That's so true.
>>
File: typesettingguide201.png (582 KB, 600x4000) Image search: [Google]
typesettingguide201.png
582 KB, 600x4000
>>113706173
>phrase flow/emphasis

Lining is important.

Daily reminder.
>>
File: fontguide3-shouts.png (46 KB, 800x413) Image search: [Google]
fontguide3-shouts.png
46 KB, 800x413
And more font guides.
>>
>>113710679
Literally nothing wrong with text boxes provided you still manually edit where it's needed.
>>
>>113710679

Shit font suggestions save for one or two, though.
>>
File: fontguide3.png (96 KB, 1000x767) Image search: [Google]
fontguide3.png
96 KB, 1000x767
>>113710794
I think the point was to stop lazy typesetters from just copy-pasting the translation into text boxes.

Nothing wrong with using them if you still manually line.

though why bother drawing out a text box if you're going to manually line it anyways
>>
File: 01.jpg (916 KB, 1696x2400) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
916 KB, 1696x2400
Any translator anon around willing to do a short 11p Upotte doujin?
>>
>>113710832
>though why bother drawing out a text box if you're going to manually line it anyways
Because it's convenient actually convenient. The majority of the work is usually done save for maybe one or two instances of pressing enter.
>>
>>113710832
Because text boxes sometimes look okay even without touching them, and I'm used to doing it.
>>
>>113710885
I dunno, I spend a shitton of time relining things to make it look and sound better.

Seems like it'd be really annoying with a really thin bubble.

I fucking hate having to fix other typesetter's shit when there are text boxes. Makes my life ten times harder.
>>
>>113710943
Thin bubbles are hitler.
>>
File: chap.31.37.jpg (317 KB, 640x916) Image search: [Google]
chap.31.37.jpg
317 KB, 640x916
Post the best cleans you've ever seen.
>>
>>113711047
onidzuka.jpg
I don't even need to post it, because it's already burned into your memory.
>>
>>113710679
>split long words where it looks natural
>you don't need to split a word if you can avoid it

How about just not splitting at all and using background color for the text?
>>
>>113710845
Already did that 2 years ago http://exhentai.org/g/538456/4292edb020/
>>
>>113711260
Are there any Upotte doujins left?
>>
>>113711183
Are you retarded?
>>
>>113710679
Is GIMP's text tool the same as Photoshop's Text box? How do you line text in GIMP, because I end up manually adjusting within the text box anyway.
>>
>>113711329
Some anon once told me never to split.
>>
File: 1350904626538.gif (843 KB, 213x183) Image search: [Google]
1350904626538.gif
843 KB, 213x183
>>113711434
How do you even?
>>
>>113711870
>hemad.jpg

>>113710679
>You can fix lining by saying the word in your head, then splitting it at a point that sounds natural.
>With long words, continue to split them at the syllable.

Readability =/= no hyphenating

Keep being mad.
>>
File: 1410015697083.gif (999 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
1410015697083.gif
999 KB, 250x251
What's the cheapest and best scanner for manga? I'm thinking of scanning some stuff, but the only scanner I have is the shitty all-in-one kind.
>>
>>113714400
Buy a scanner, not an all-in-one printer.

Canons are pretty good.
>>
File: ss+(2014-09-14+at+02.28.42).png (518 KB, 1235x722) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2014-09-14+at+02.28.42).png
518 KB, 1235x722
>>113714400
You don't need to buy anything, just make sure your scanner is configured to scan at 300dpi
>>
File: cover.jpg (707 KB, 1285x1800) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
707 KB, 1285x1800
DEM REDRAWS!
>>
>>113714400
Define cheapest. I got my Epson V37 for a little under $90 and it's excellent.
>>
>>113715374
Also http://exhentai.org/g/450700/7ea1a4b27f/
>>
File: 1390912498383.jpg (91 KB, 350x504) Image search: [Google]
1390912498383.jpg
91 KB, 350x504
Shit, forgot I had this.

>dat (c)
>>
>>113715578
The fact that someone actually added his name on that thing baffles me.
>>
Queen's Blade
>>
File: jesus christ how horrifying.png (136 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
jesus christ how horrifying.png
136 KB, 1280x720
>>113351315
>>113351277
The lazy editing at least makes some sort of sense. They didn't want to attempt some shitty redrawing they knew they couldn't do so they just put the English above it. But that second page, man. Wow.
>>
The anon that promised the Me and The Devil Blues tl here. Theres only about 2 lines that im having trouble comprehending so Im gonna work on those lines later today. Other than that its all done
>>
>>113719828
Which lines? Post them here. We can help.
>>
>>113720032
Its really just this line
????????????????????????????
>>
>>113720724
Something about bliss and something internal... Sory, I can't help.
>>
>>113720724
I don't have context, but what I'm getting is

There's no use in complaining all the time that you were born under a bad star.

Basically nothing's gonna happen/there's no reason to moan and groan about their shitty past.

I have no idea what the actual work is, but that's what I'm getting out of one look.
>>
>>113721172 again

Depending on the context, you could probably also go with
Why are you always complaining about your bad luck/ being born under a bad star?
>>
>>113721172
Ahhh. Thats it. Whats the ?? for? A shorter version of ?????
>>
>>113721172
Yeah, that's what I got out of it too.

>>113721259
I really should study more grammar, but I assume it's used as a combination of 'de' and 'wa' particles there.
>>
>>113721259
No.

?? is a contraction of ??.
???? is just a contraction of ????.

You see it used a lot to connect a long phrase to something that defines the phrase.

If you wanna separate it up grammatically:
[(??????????)??????-???]??? [???????]

[ (S was born under a bad star) lamenting/complaining about that - always/all the time ] (subject for next part) [ there's no meaning at all ]

The ?? and ? are used for emphasis. Normally you'd see it as ???? or ?????. It's kind of like adding 'whatsoever' or 'really'.
>>
Hey waterbasedlenses, you around?

Also, some anon posted that one PS script a while back. Compiled it into a usable file and stole a UI for it.
puu sh/bqs6a/673045c3df.zip
>>
>>113723495
So where exactly do I put this? I think I remember what this is but how do you use it?
>>
>>113725328
File -> Scripts -> Browse...

Just in general, it doesn't work very well, but it's decent.

And >PDF option
>>
>>113723495
What script is this?
>>
>>113725391
http://archive.moe/a/thread/113266415/#113269101

This with a UI I took off another program to make it easier to use
>>
>>113725505
Is that the same script though? The one that always gets posted shows someone making a selection between the page and the area to be cut out and this doesn't seem to require that. Looks like it's someone's attempt to figure it out.
>>
>>113725747
It's something someone got out of google, going by the posts.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 82

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.