[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /b/ think of Serial Experiments Lain?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: Serialexperimentslain.jpg (83 KB, 640x455) Image search: [Google]
Serialexperimentslain.jpg
83 KB, 640x455
I just got done watching the 1st episode and it's hands down one of the weirdest experiences I've seen out of an anime.
p.s, I like 90's 2D animation
>>
File: 1462258681845.gif (252 KB, 838x650) Image search: [Google]
1462258681845.gif
252 KB, 838x650
>>142634151
I love it! My favourite anime series of all time.

I didn't love it the first time I watched it though. There's so much which you simply won't understand about it until you're watching it for the 2nd 3rd or likely even 4th time because of the way it's presented, so don't worry if you're left feeling confused when you first finish it.

Also be warned: after the slow paced first few episodes, there's a point in episode 5 that'll take your expectations of what's happening and curbstomp them. Then episode 9 will come along and it'll happen again. It's a mystery series that plays with some incredibly abstruse symbolism so you'll need to have your brain switched on, especially in those two episodes. I'd go so far as to say that you shouldn't be afraid to pause it every now and then so you have more time to try to make sense of what's going on.
>>
>>142634151
>p.s, I like 90's 2D animation
No you don't. You like one late 90s show you watched.
>>
>>142634151
>/b/
also, Lain is overrated 2deep4u shit
>>
>>142635470
>'Lain is overrated 2deep4u shit' is what anons who couldn't work out the mystery say in defence of themselves.
ftfy
>>
>>142635542
Thanks for proving my point
>>
>>142635470
Oh it's not.
They spend the entire recap episode meticulously explaining you what wasn't explicit enough to make sure that you understand everything.

2deep4u shows purposefully make everything vague, ambiguous and contradictory.

Lain certainly has a few loose ends, and isn't very straight-forward, but it's not trying to lure anyone into thinking it's deeper than it is.
>>
File: 1367107702.png (251 KB, 598x923) Image search: [Google]
1367107702.png
251 KB, 598x923
>>142635602
>proving my point
That it's too deep for you? Well, sure. It probably is. However, that doesn't make it bad and that doesn't make you stupid either. Read the first reply to the thread: someone who considers it their favourite of all time admits they didn't get it at all the first time they saw it.
>>
>>142635673
>They spend the entire recap episode meticulously explaining you what wasn't explicit enough to make sure that you understand everything.
In all honesty, I didn't consider that recap episode to be too useful as a literal recap episode. It was still filling a really important point in the plot, however. Namely, (and iirc) when you see the recap, you're actually seeing Lain installing the wired (and those memories) into her brain.
Haven't seen that episode in a while but it was something along those lines.
>>
>>142635470
It's always funny when people use 2deep4u as a complaint when the term was used to make fun of people who didn't understand shit that is basically explained to your face.

Lain explains almost everything to you.
>>
File: 1463785457387-0.gif (89 KB, 533x719) Image search: [Google]
1463785457387-0.gif
89 KB, 533x719
>>142636023
>Lain explains almost everything to you.
What trips people up is that it doesn't tell you when it's going to explain things to you. Most anons likely expected an explanation at the end, similar to what happened in Paranoia Agent, but the explanations of what's going on happen sporadically and with no warning in SEL, so if people aren't paying attention they'll often miss it.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.