[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think a person can get good at drawing just by practicing it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 29
File: Genshiken-2-Ogiue-02[1].jpg (76 KB, 697x393) Image search: [Google]
Genshiken-2-Ogiue-02[1].jpg
76 KB, 697x393
Do you think a person can get good at drawing just by practicing it?
>>
My dream is gaining money drawing hentai.
>>
No, I think drawing is about understanding moreso than muscle memory.
>>
Nope. Artists are born, not made.
>>
>>111465045
more than*
>>
Think?

I know that's the case.
>>
Define practicing? Take a blank sheet of paper and just start sketching randomly with no regard to anything? No, you won't improve much.

But if you mean whether you can get good by learning and practicing and not thanks to some innate "talent" then yes, it's the only way to get good.
>>
>>111464904
in terms of technical aptitude, certainly; practice makes perfect

but there will be a definite ceiling regarding the pure artistry of the piece that cannot be changed; it's a matter of intellect combined with emotional composition/sensitivity
>>
File: 1326139966762.png (57 KB, 390x390) Image search: [Google]
1326139966762.png
57 KB, 390x390
You can't be serious.
>>
Understanding is only half of the concept. Muscle memory gets your hand strong enough to make straight lines, circles, and quickly draw shapes without too much thought or effort. It's the one thing I've noticed after I stopped drawing.
>>
>>111465139
Actually, no, the "artistry" can be studied as well, barring the cases of extreme mental retardation - you can fake artistry just fine and no one else but you will catch on that it's something meticulously designed and not actual self-expression.
>>
You think people are born godly cocksuckers? They have to practice sucking cocks on gloryholes.
>>
>>111465112
I'm fairly certain your definition of practice is held only by you.

OP is obviously asking whether repeated attempts at drawing will ultimately improve the quality, or whether the quality will forever be fixed by some inflexible inherited aptitude impervious to refinement
>>
>>111465244
Well in that case OP can go to any pixiv page that's existed for more than 2 years, and he will have his answer
>>
>>111465244
You'd be surprised.

I frequent OC/drawfag threads from time to time on a couple different boards, and I have on multiple occasions run into people who did just that and whined that it's impossible to improve by practicing.
>>
>>111464904
Practice is not 100% of getting good at drawing, but it's probably 90% of it.

There's years and years of art history, and there's a very good reason the Renaissance didn't happen as soon as humans learned to paint. They had to discover the techniques and learn to apply them properly, and with stuff like the plague or the iconoclasm getting in the way, it was inevitable that some steps backward were taken.

I'm saying this because there's a lot of techniques that have been passed down from previous generations of artists, and so practicing will get you pretty far, but in the end, most artists you consider to be professionals have had serious training with knowledgeable professionals that have a sizable library of technical knowledge and are good at conveying it.

That said, once you have found the proper environment (surrounded by knowledgeable artists available for advice and give constructive feedback), you'll definitely improve as long as you 1: practice and 2: have a good attitude. These are both equally important to the serious art student, and that kind of diligence can come naturally to some people more than others and that's really what amounts to what we think is "talent".
>>
>>111465323
what is "a good attitude" ?
>>
if you wanna draw manga/anime style shit, you need to learn how to draw real people first.
>>
File: draw this again.jpg (554 KB, 1614x744) Image search: [Google]
draw this again.jpg
554 KB, 1614x744
>>111465303
Those people are shitters
>>
>>111464904
no, some people can never get good at drawing ;_;
>>
>>111465639
Involves things like not taking criticism personally, somehow avoiding comparing yourself to your peers, keeping an open mind and be willing to learn techniques even if you find them hard to understand, willing to give up old habits if they conflict with that the teacher is saying.

I would say 90% of /ic/ is guilty of a "bad attitude," because they constantly bitch at each other over art style, which is kind of irrelevant once you get to the meat of academic techniques.
>>
Yes, you can but you will never create anything outstanding. You can create something popular but if you want to create something amazing, something that didn't exist before, you need to be a genius.
>>
If you have to ask you're fucked.
>>
>>111465856
Do you think geniuses come screaming out of the womb with miraculous ideas? Genius is exhibited through mastery.
>>
not /a/
sage, report and hide.
>>
>>111465856
Is this how you sleep at night? "I wasn't born a genius, so mediocrity is fine"?
>>
>>111465058 sadly has a point, if you want to really make a living out of it or even dream of such, you gotta have either talent or rich parents.

>>111465723
JesusChristHowHorrifying.png
>>
File: tehmeh.jpg (268 KB, 1280x1365) Image search: [Google]
tehmeh.jpg
268 KB, 1280x1365
>>111465824
Have you ever been to the IC hangout? You'll notice that those who improved the fastest usually have really chill attitudes towards art. I'm not disagreeing with you but talking to the artists themselves reveals a lot behind their fast improvement.

>>111466013
Just assume that you have the talent and go with it. Later people will call you talented for simply existing, not seeing the work put into it beforehand. Temeh (pic related) got a rsi from practicing 12 hours a day for a year, was it worth it? He's only working for 4 months a year you decide
>>
You can be 99% with training, but you can't be 100% without talent. That 1% is not a joking matter.
>>
>>111465723
last 2 are obviously humorous extrapolations by anon, but nevertheless a depressing example of "I'm fine where I am, no need to improve"
>>
>>111466075
I used to be on the /ic/ hangout, but lately have no time for irc stuff.

I would hope that the people with a chill attitude are the ones that improve, I was pointing out the people who try to prove one style is better than another.
>>
This is the worst place to ask this question because every time it's asked here you get the same non-answer from people who haven't even finished their backlog much less learned a skill.
>>
File: 1397455689345.jpg (494 KB, 1052x1000) Image search: [Google]
1397455689345.jpg
494 KB, 1052x1000
>>111466075
Another one from ic, don't have dots but he also went from ok-ish to pro in a span of 2 years.

>>111466085
You wont know till you hit that 99%, have you ever tried giving it a shot?

>>111466092
It might just be a hobbyist you know? There's the one with the autism kid that always gets a load of response. You know the guy with no improvement in 12 or something years
>>
training made more solid drawing....if you are trained enough you can draw the same images for eternity without lessening the detail whatsoever
>>
>>111466148
this
>>
>>111466092
The 4th one is by an anon, but the first 3 are pure deviantart
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Before-and-After-meme-4ver-love-298182142
>>
File: 1406691725879.jpg (55 KB, 500x361) Image search: [Google]
1406691725879.jpg
55 KB, 500x361
>>
>>111466255
It's still shit no matter what.
>>
>>111466075
>>111466159
Holy shit that's incredible
>>
The "you gotta have talent" shitposters are the worst.

Someone who is still learning tells them to shut up and practice more?
>But you won't know if you can make it without talent until after you've made it!
Someone who is already good tells them to shut up and practice more?
>You made it so this means you obviously have talent, you don't know what it's like for people who don't!

This fucking attitude is why you'll never amount to anything, not your imaginary lack of talent.

The truth is that willingness to put in the necessary effort is the only actual talent that matters.
>>
>>111466255
My fucking sides
>>
Practice is 90% of it. That's why faggots like OP never get good because they give up not even halfway through.
>>
File: 7.jpg (161 KB, 728x1036) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
161 KB, 728x1036
>>
Some people have innate aptitude to the skill, some people achieve the skill by learning.
>>
File: file.png (7 KB, 90x80) Image search: [Google]
file.png
7 KB, 90x80
>>111466013
>talent
This. Practice is mandatory, but having talent is like having exp boost.

They get better with much less training. Hence artists are considered 'born'.
>>
>>111464904
>Do you think a person can get good at drawing just by practicing it?
Yes, a non-artistic person can get good at generating an illustration (I am a R&D theoretical engineer and managed to get my illustrating skills to a good technical level). But you need to define "drawing" or "art" terms very carefully because they are both very huge in terms of the many facets they cover, thus misunderstanding is rife. While you mean one facet, someone else may be thinking of the 8th facet of that word. Thus, to you, your opinion is usable but to that other person your opinion is incorrect (and vice versa).

I am technically competent and can feel how the media goes onto the paper as well as understand the principles of how much I can work the media (illustrating components) or the substrata (paper, board, etc). But I have none of the real artist's vision or imagination or visual creativity. So I am sterile at creating art. Give me a picture of Aoi Eir and I can put that onto digital canvas and manipulate it. So, I have taught myself how to draw, but have no talent at art. From my understanding of my own experiences, some people are thus naturally better at "art", but there also needs to be the opportunity for such a person to marry both their ability and that of the technical mastery of illustrating ideas onto either paper or digital canvas.

By teaching yourself drawing techniques, you will see if you have the other part that is necessary - the visual talent and imagination to make use of that technical ability of drawing. You have to train your drawing skill so that you are fast. Fast means you can try and do many things, throw them away, and start over. Otherwise, your ability to improve is very slow due to the lack of repetition cycles.
>>
File: 43454095.jpg (277 KB, 912x700) Image search: [Google]
43454095.jpg
277 KB, 912x700
Like others have said, you need understanding.

That's why I never picked it up.
I'm apart of anime/manga for the escapism, in order to actually draw, you have to see the world around you, know how to draw a human, and the objects in this 3 dimensional world.

Even if it's something unreal like the hundreds of styles of drawing, you need to know 3D before you can into 2D.

If you want to actually draw and don't have the talent for it, you have to put in the extra time/effort than the others. But even then, you might not be good or just some copycat artist, and really you're no better than a tracer if you can't differentiate your work from anyone elses.

Practice is important, but that doesn't mean even 5 years, 5 hours a day will make you a good artist. You'll just suck less.

So at least enjoy what you're doing, but don't expect to be someone worth knowing.
>pic unrelated He's someone worth knowing.

>tl;dr No, but practice anyway if you enjoy it, you'll learn more along the way to at least make you better than someone who doesn't know how to draw.
>>
>>111466833
I think you're putting art on a high pedestal and over-complicating things.
>>
>>111466833
The filename implies there's more than one version
>>
File: 1402601411934.png (592 KB, 828x1435) Image search: [Google]
1402601411934.png
592 KB, 828x1435
>>111467184
Not that anon but art is kinda a big fucking deal.
>>
>>111464904

No.

You have to study properly AND practice.

Not only that, but you have to have the willpower to get over the hump and work hard.

If you have all of the above you can definitely get good at drawing.

Whether you can tell good stories, and/or create meaningful artwork, is a different matter.
>>
To my knowledge, talent when it comes to anything, including being an artist, is the same as rolling a d12 instead of a d10 like those who don't. However, even with talent, you're still gonna roll a d4 if you have a bad attitude about learning things, or maybe not even at all with specific things are involved, like physical or mental deficiencies, or trying to be a voice actor in the United States.

Money and time are also important, but those are subjects best explained in hindsight.

I'm no artist, but being good at anything requires insatiable curiosity, as well as either a chill mindset and/or really thick skin. Not that either is very hard to have, but being the kind of person ill-suited to become good at any creative medium is an attractive vice
>>
>>111467480
>big fucking deal
Lots of things that are a big fucking deal are a lot less complicated than people assume.
>>
File: PreCure Heartcatch.jpg (339 KB, 757x1080) Image search: [Google]
PreCure Heartcatch.jpg
339 KB, 757x1080
Here are 11 volumes from the instructional series on drawing Manga from Graphic-Sha, Japanime Co. Ltd., and Japan Publications Trading Co. Includes volumes 1-4, 7, 12, 22, 23, 26, 28, and 36. The full series has 43 volumes.

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=348015

For a different perspective on manga style illustration, try the Computones version. PC digital paint approach is different from physical mixed media.

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7562768/How_to_Draw_Manga_-_Computones_Vol._1-5

First five volumes from the How To Draw Manga series.

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7570390/How_to_Draw_Manga_-_Sketching_Manga-Style_Vol._1-5
>>
>>111465058
Bullshit. I'm scared people actually believe it.
>>
File: 01_052.jpg (103 KB, 831x1200) Image search: [Google]
01_052.jpg
103 KB, 831x1200
>>111467640
Representational art is hard.

>>111467701
It's to the benefits of the artsists if people assume that they're born from god or some shit. Just like the people who perpetuate the myth that water color is an 'unforgiving medium'
>>
>>111467685
Thanks anon.
>>
>>111467184
You have no idea what you are talking about. That post demystified a lot of things for me.

You are just one of those knee-jerk shitposters on /a/ that habitually attack good explanations out of jealousy.
>>
>>111464904
it's a mix of practice, starting young and talent
>>
>>111467818
Just like everything else?
>>
>>111467767
> water color is an 'unforgiving medium'
It is, I tried.
>>111467818
"Talent" just gives a head start.
>>
>>111467818
Pretty much this.
>>
There is no 'talent' limit to how technically proficient you can become at drawing. None.

The 'talent' side of art is the creativity and vision needed to create pieces with meaning and metaphor
>>
>>111466833
I don't even give a fuck about art. I just want to draw pretty pictures.
>>
>>111467858
>"Talent" just gives a head start.
and it let's you learn 10 times faster too
>>
File: india3_19.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1069) Image search: [Google]
india3_19.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1069
>>111467818
>starting young

Lmao, there's no need to start young. One of the most revered people in the concept art industry started when he was in his mid 20s. And was repeatedly told that he had no talent and should quit art by his art teaches.

Now look at his stuff now.
Goodbrush.com

Also
http://cryptcrawler.deviantart.com/
Started in his 30s and spent 10-12 years before he made his first money. He lived on the streets to work on his passion.

>>111467858
Yeah you tried with no prior understanding. Water color is very workable when you have a good surface to work into. The thing is that it recquires a certain level of patience that most people lack. Lots of staring at things dry, very fun medium for plein air sketches since it's so compact to take with you. And doesn't take an hour to set up (like oils)
>>
I tried to draw for 1,5 year. Every day, few hours, doing studies and shit. During that time i joined some online drawing rooms. When i saw people starting and getting better in just few months just drawing during their job breaks i gave up. You either can or can't draw.
>>
>>111466833
Actually creativity is something that can also be learned and trained. Your personality and sensibility plays a huge role in it, but all it takes to be an artist is to be curious and to not be afraid to affirm yourself through your work.

Affirming oneself doesn't mean doing thought provoking works, but simply getting around the fact that you are yourself and that there is nothing wrong with creating what you want to create even if it's just cute girls doing cute things. Don't be afraid of doing what you like.

It's a simple as that, people put art on a pedestal but it's really not complicated. The only trick is that you yourself and your knowledge is the only fuel for your creativity. Wich means that the only way to grow as an artist is to look at tons of things to be curious and open minded enough to continuously discover new things. It will allow you to create your own universe, wich is the raw material for your imagination.
>>
>>111468083
>people progressed faster than me so I gave up

Jesus fucking Christ.
>>
>>111467997
Instead of talking about "talent" how about you define exactly what it is? Do you need a certain neural network to be more developed than normal? Is there a gene that helps you draw?
>>
This will be a relevant question, I guess.

I want to learn how to draw "without lines". Before, all I drew was like a coloring book, black lines and color inside, like anime. Naturally, I want to break out of this. Where should I begin? With what should I start?
>>
>>111464904
Of course.
But you'll get nowhere if you aren't creative and you'll never be as good as someone with actual talent.
>>
>>111468174
A statement like that is something that'll cause someone to ask "So why bother?".
>>
File: 1401216390676.gif (499 KB, 222x366) Image search: [Google]
1401216390676.gif
499 KB, 222x366
>>111468018
>Goodbrush.com

Wow this is great
>>
>>111468018
There are always few people here and there that are extremely talented and can start later. I tried to look for their info though and i haven't found any about when they started so it can be full of shit too. Where are you getting their bio from?
>>
>>111468174
Back to Sakurasou with you.
>>
Starting young only gives you the opportunity of getting a fuckload of hours of training before you become an adult and have to get a career. Once you've got a career, it gets much harder to put a lot of hours into something else. That's all.

(There are a few caveats to this, like you can't become a professional dancer if you don't start young due to the age cap)
>>
>>111467926
Your method of not giving a fuck won't work. You've watched too much Mahouka or Sword Art Online where someone is able to do something just because they want something whether it is to win a contest or draw pretty pictures (your case). >>111466833 is a good mix of info, experience, and advice about how you don't know if you are an artist until you try to acquire skills in using your art tools and training/using your art sense. At some point, you realize if you can create pretty pictures or not.
>>
It's not like art is a physical sport it doesn't really matter when you start as long as you're not so old you're going to die in the next 3 years
>>
don't underestimate hard work
>>
>>111467997
Talent is overrated.
Im an animation student and before that I've done lots of prep and art schools (Im quite lazy so there has been a lot of dicking around).
All the "talented" people that I've met share that tendency to be able to focus strongly on working. Simple as that.

I've seen a piss-poor guy becoming somewhat decent in the span of a year, the dude was able to make around +150 sheets or character/layout/backgrounds research per month while some people where struggling to make 20 of them.
Another one I know never went to an art school but is even better than me simply because she does around 3 digital illustrations per week on top of her usual drawings.
Another one work on autism mode for days on a single things until she mastered it.

The only thing "talented" people have is guts and hard work. You only need to stop being lazy and start to work (wich means actually searching for ways to improve yourself, not just blindly practising without knowing what you're doing wrong).
>>
>>111468018
>Started in his 30s
Why does the imaginefx bio says he learned traditional painting in renowned art college and started digital and 23 then?
>>
File: 41379449_p0.png (1 MB, 1600x933) Image search: [Google]
41379449_p0.png
1 MB, 1600x933
>>111468156
>"without lines"
Anon, it's normal if not standard to sketch things out before painting, even if you are going for 3D realism.
Otherwise, it's just stylization until you find something you like
>>
>>111468156
Try drawing objects from life focusing on blocking out the shapes and shadows. Draw real lose.
>>
>>111468310
It's harder to learn shit the older you get.
>>
>No one starts old

Think about all the old retirees who take it up after they stop working and put their stupid paintings up in doctors offices.
>>
File: kairunoburogu.tumblr.com.jpg (752 KB, 622x1000) Image search: [Google]
kairunoburogu.tumblr.com.jpg
752 KB, 622x1000
>>111468237
Craig Mullins is sourced from posts he made back in the days on a forum called Sijun (it's stil around, you can look up his posts he posted under the name "Demonspooge" or smth.

There is a pdf flying around with all his advice posts and it's grand to read if your into art. There he explained the art center story (he went, twice - first for industrial design and then for illustration).

He's 50 now so that's the result of 3 decades worth of work.

Cryptcrawler released a video back in the day called a hostile take over (the painting is called that) It's a 10 hour demo and then there was a part of it where he showed his old stuff from 15 years ago. Very cool, you can probably find it on cgpeers.

>>111468376
That's interesting, he has done interviews where that isn't mentioned. Somethings up

I think if people are in need of motivation to draw just let your dick guide you to draw feet
>>
>>111468471
>just let your dick guide you to draw feet
The best motivational advice I've ever heard.
>>
>>111468417
People don't give up things or do nothing just because they didn't come out of the womb with a paintbrush and pencil in hand, though.
>>
>>111468156
Like >>111468412 said, do a lot of shadow/contrast training.

A good way to do this is to observe something (the best are live drawing sessions) and close one eye, and to keep the second one almost completely closed. Oh and creating a unique light source is also important, work during the day with a single window opened or use a small lamp inside a dark room so that you only have one strong source of light.
At this point the object will only appear blurry and the shadows will be more pronounced.
What you're seeing is basically a simplified view of the object, keep your eye almost closed and start drawing the outline of the object and the outline of the shadow.

Then you can gradually start opening your eyes to get more details without losing the overall shape.

This way you will start thinking in terms of "shape", "lighting" and "outlines", wich is what painting relies on in order to be understandable without lines.

You can also observe pieces of works that you like with this technique. You'll usually see that a lot of them can be easily simplified into large masses of lights and shadows.
>>
>>111468417
Art is a trade most people pick up in college, yeah you brain peaks at 21 with pure processing power, but it isn't as fluid as a childbrain, and honestly you need the maturity of an adult to really advance reliably in art.
>>
>>111467340
Anyone with some experience in brush and paint already has the "other" picture in their mind to compare to that posted picture.

That poster was terse with sentences that said things with what was left out just as with that picture's title. It's rare to see posters like that nowadays in /a/.
>>
>>111468654
>>111468412
>>111468407
Thanks. I'll try that.
>>
you guys are so depressing. where does talent even come from? How in the world did a preconceived ability to do a skill already be in someones brain without them actually practicing and learning the skill before hand? I feel like it's just harder for some people because they don't want to learn it as bad as others do.
>>
>>111467480
If I can draw a picture like this with a small amount of effort in a short amount of time (about 5 to 10 minutes), would you say I have some amount of talent?
>>
>>111468713
Threads and subjects like these make me a little depressed too, but I found some coping mechanism for whenever shit happens.

Talent is really hard to explain. "It just works" is probably the best explanation I'll ever hear.
>>
>>111468713
Some people are going to have a better visual spacial IQ and find it easier to represent 3d shapes in 2d just because of how their brains are wired.

Other may excel in atmosphere or color theory with just how their brains work. But anyone should be able to learn to draw well enough, and from their they can find what their niche talent within the hobby.
>>
File: IMG_3630.jpg (217 KB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3630.jpg
217 KB, 1224x1632
>>111468788
Whoops, forgot the picture.
>>
>>111468713
>>111468840
There's no such fucking thing as talent.

Some people can grasp some concepts quicker than others but ultimately what matters is how much mileage you put in to your craft, you don't see the mountains upon mountains of shit and the years upon years of practice that it took for a good artist to get where they are. If you want to become a good artist then you have to stop comparing yourself to others as everyone learns, applies and progresses differently.
>>
>>111468918
You're amazing, anon. I can't even tell where's the original and where's the copy.
>>
>>111468985
Y'know, it's generally hard to recognize sarcasm in typed messages, but I think you pulled it off pretty well.
>>
>>111468655
No. Best artists start as kid and then you have in every interviews: "i was drawing before i could even remember".
>>
>>111468788
>>111468918
Copying something like this easier than composing, anon.
If you could make something just as cute in your own style it'd be different
>>
Part of drawing is technique and motor control. You simply need to practice alot.

Another part of drawing is observation, you need to observe and sketch alot.

Another part of drawing is a technical understanding of your subject, light, movement, physics, etc. You need to study, observe, and compare those things alot.

Another part of drawing is human psychology, there are all sorts of tricks and techniques and design scheme that deal specifically with quirks in human perception and impressions.

Finally we might get to the part of drawing that deals with artistry and expression. That seems to be innate because we can't consistently bring it out in individuals.

Yes, a person can get good at drawing just by practicing. Complain about talent later, you haven't practiced enough to know if you have any talent.
>>
>>111468293
Anon, Sakurasou is full of talented talents.
Why there? Do you hate God or something?
>>
>>111469081
But my copies are cute too ;_;
>>
>>111468930
When you will go to your first school you will learn that there is indeed such thing as talent and people will spend fraction of time acing things you will fail learning after months.
>>
>>111469133
sure they are
>>
File: 361243-belldandy_over_time.jpg (82 KB, 808x558) Image search: [Google]
361243-belldandy_over_time.jpg
82 KB, 808x558
>>111464904

Determination is the key.

Practice art hard and long enough and you'll eventually get assistants to help you out.
>>
>>111468713
I see talent as "they can endure shit people throw at them" and still manage to generate results.
>>
>>111468930
It's a lot easier said than done, though. Ever since I was 9, I've been wanting to be an artist, voice actor, musician, writer, programmer, anything. To this day I have improved little to none at all at anything.

I get a little irritated whenever I see people say ">Westerner", but recently for most of this morning I'm starting to wonder if that's true. I don't really believe in talent myself, but I feel as though there's some sort of bizarro-talent thing that keeps people from being any bit good at anything. If there's one thing I'm even less sure of, it's why I bother even talking about wanting to do anything. Why am I even alive, for that matter?
>>
Anyone here get really good at drawing with practice or are we all just talking out of our asses? And don't post other people work.
>>
>>111468788
>>111468918
Last time I draw, I can't do eyes and perspective are fucked up.
>>
>>111469224
You think those kids somehow woke up one day with the skill that it takes to draw well? They have been drawing for much longer than you have, they started much earlier and like I said, you don't see the work that it took to get where they are.
>>
Personal responsibility. It's easy to blame something or someone you cannot control.
>>
>>111469273
People have already posted comparisons.

>And don't post other people work.
Keep moving them goalposts.
>>
>>111468930

I disagree, talent does exist. However talent alone is not enough, everyone who is truly good at what they has paid in sweat and effort.

The places where talent makes a difference is when people are classified by age brackets (12 and under, 14 and under, high school, etc.), when there is a limit before physical degradation sets in (sports athletes, gymnasts, etc.), or when you are speaking about the absolute limit of human abilities.
>>
>>111469319
Bullshit. I see people can draw better than me. But to them, its just >meh
and fuck their lives.
That's highschool, by the way.
>>
>>111468788
>>111468918
Anatomy so fucked it's not even funny.
>>
>>111469347
Yes talent isn't enough you need to work hard too. But it doesn't matter how hard you work if you have no talent in first place.
>>
>>111468713
Genetics, bitch. Come over to /fit/ and we'll tell you all about it.
>>
>>111469394

The reason they say 'meh' is because they can see a mountain of limitations and things they can't do and it humbles them.

Look at Garfield comic strips by Jim Davis. Even when there are sequential panels where they look identical, if you look closely you can see minor differences that show he drew a duplicate panel. You can say, "It's just Garfield" but ability to so precisely redraw your drawings is impressive
>>
>>111469224
see my post here >>111468373 , these kind of people often simply works more than you do or in a more effective way (trying to improve, etc.).

They ace those things because they learned them before or were already quite familiar with them before ever working on them through curiostity and proper analysis.
>>
>>111469257
You're trying to be a jack of all trades and a master of none. If you want to truly excel at something you have to commit to it and make it a part of your life. Just as you wake up and brush your teeth in the morning you have to practice what you want to get good at as much as you can for as long as you can.

>>111469273
There is no easy way to learn how to draw, stop trying to self validate and start looking at what it's gonna take to get where you want to be.

>>111469394
>high school
I can guarantee you know fuck all about art and it will seem absolutely silly later on down the line. You're blaming something else for your lack of progress. If you want to get good at drawing then you will hunker down and you will find a way rather than just say it can't be helped.
>>
>>111469041
They weren't making good drawings.
>>
>>111469224
I study at art school. And I know one "talented" guy. But he's not talented, he's just wired differently. When we get an assignment, most of us doing it exactly like we're told. Some of us can't even do that("ah, good enough"). What he does? He always tries to do it in some new way, and always with extra effort. When we have spare time we waste it on non-art things. At best, we read info on art or sketch stuff just to kill time. What he does? He learns and practices, every single day. "This 3dmax thing is fun, I'll learn it." Two days later he's already knows more than we learned in a year. "I saw this "zbrush" thing yesterday, think I'll try it out". One week later he's sculpting better than teachers. "I think for an assignment I'll do thins 2 meter tower out of fiber glass." And he does, curved one, with LED and neon lights, panted, with a motor inside that spins it.
Essentially, he's just not lazy. When he has the slightest desire to do something he does that. No second thoughts, no doubt, no concerns about time. And when other people say "it's good enough", he goes extra mile to make it exactly as he wanted it to be. I guess all "talented" people are like that.
>>
>>111466075
>tehmeh
I remember that dude. I hate myself for not drawing anymore, but when I tried again I basically had to start from the beginning. Shit sucks.
>>
>>111469500
Actually it's because the artists trace over templates
>>
File: 723811-yokoi_rumi.png (758 KB, 1597x900) Image search: [Google]
723811-yokoi_rumi.png
758 KB, 1597x900
>>111469634
Oh, its you again.
>>
>>111469540
>If you want to truly excel at something you have to commit to it
I'm not sure what if I can really choose one thing I want to do for most of my life. Maybe I just can't commit to things, and that's why I've been juggling things. Right now the thing I want to do is voice acting, and I've been wanting to do that ever since I heard about it, because it's the only way where I can be some loud goofball or whatever and the only focus is my ability, not the fact that something unusual came out of my mouth.

When I mentioned the westerner thing, it was specifically about voice acting. I'm getting some notions in my head right now that if I were born in Japan or whatever, I'd probably be a lot better at it than I am right now. However, the feeling hasn't stopped me yet, but considering that I'm not some guy yelling in moonspeak, who would want me even if I were a professional?
>>
>>111469720
We met before?
>>
>>111469273
You can find what you want here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php/41-Sketchbooks
http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewforum.php?f=3
>>
>>111469730
Whatever it is you want to do, set a goal. Look 3-5 years down the line and think of where you wanna be then find out what it's gonna take to get there. Keep that goal in mind, practice every day and just realize that time spent doing wasteful things is time spent not working towards your goal.
>>
>>111469708

In many cases yes, but I've also been to panels where an artist drew a panel in a few min, then quickly redrew the scene in a panel next to it. Even the shading looked indistinguishable at first glance.
>>
>>111469730
You're saying a lot of "wanting to do", "wanting to be" and no actual "doing".

Everyone is shit and cringeworthy at the start even the best of the best, and you will never be truly satisfied of your work.

Now stop complaining and get to work.
>>
Yeah if you just want to draw something presentable but the the majority of artists people remember throughout history were just geniuses. Sometimes natural talent is just better.
>>
>>111468309
I only aspire for technical skills. I became half-decent at piano with the approach that I like pressing buttons in a sequence. I don't even like music.
>>
>>111469730

If you want to do voice acting then really work at it. Join community theater, audition to be a deejay, start putting yourself out there. Do readings and post them on Youtube.

Impressions and characters is going to be part of it, learn a few impressions and reenact anime scenes as a different character or with a minor variation, i.e. redub a scene in FMA as Ed with a British accent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjbPszSt5Pc
>>
>>111469937
I like music but my body seems to be retarded to rhythm. Sometimes, I can't distinguish my left and right hands.
>>
>>111469684
Just keep at it man, send the guys a message asking for help artists are much more approachable than you might think, they're just busy.

>>111469762
Relevant:
>>111466075
http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50
Albeit Tehmehs older sketchbook (from the very beginning) is bits more impressive, but then you'd have to slog through a lot of pages full of praise eh.
>>111466159
http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=685
This guy is also just 19 so fuck him

Permanoobs isn't old enough to really contain those mega success stories like conceptart.org

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/269717-noob-to-pro-a-list-of-CA-s-epic-progress-sketchbooks

Now stop making excuses and follow your dreams
>>111469956
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjbPszSt5Pc
That's cool, I like how he changes his posture for the different characters. Looks like he really gets into it
>>
>>111467184
>I think you're putting art on a high pedestal
Yes, like a museum.

Ba dum tish!
>>
>>111469956
Probably the easiest and first thing to do is to find existing stuff, apply my own voice and on the internet. I'd imagine it'd be tough to filter out the good criticism from the bad if I do anything related to anime, since I'd be compared to the original VAs as much as I'd be given criticism for my own ability.

Right now I haven't been able to get a solid impression or accent done yet, most of my time related to voice acting spent is just discussing things about things like language, sounds, etc. with other people on the internet. I don't think anyone wants to hear or see a beginner or amateur, unless there's some sort of group or general or something meant for people who aren't professional yet, which is why I usually keep mum about things except to the people I've already been talking to about this subject.

Considering that /a/ has something like "/a/ sings" and daily Japanese theads, I've been wondering why there hasn't been anything like "/a/ makes fandub/gag dub" threads.
>>
>>111470282
>fandub/gag dub
Because dub is disgusting, no matter who does it.
>>
>>111470345
I actually heard good/decent dub once. One day I tried the french dub of TTGL, Yoko was actually dubbed by Evangelyne's VA (Wakfu), it was quite good for once, she earned my respect.
>>
>>111470345
If dubs are disgusting, why do people bother? Why do people want good dubs or to make good dubs regardless?

If I were to do voices for manga, would that be different, or should I strictly go for western stuff?
>>
>>111470282

Well that's the point, impressions are about mimicking the sound and mannerisms of a character.

Your voice is an instrument. You can't just talk about using it, you need to actually practice using it. Sit down in front of your computer and record yourself reading a children's story book or whatever. Volunteer to do readings at hospitals, libraries or nursing homes.
>>
File: consider the following 2.jpg (110 KB, 606x481) Image search: [Google]
consider the following 2.jpg
110 KB, 606x481
>>111470345
/a/ fandubs a hentai with whisper thread posters
>>
>>111469861
They were also subjected to art education from the age of 8-12 and worked for 10 hours a day
>>
>>111470488
CLUCK LIKE A CHICKEN
>>
>>111468206
>>111468018
wow. Are all those just by one guy?! shit's so cash
>>
>>111464904
Yes but there is a plateau the is eventually reached.
>>
>>111468529
we should print it. for motivation, "Like how I printed the "do you even lift, goshujin-sama" image to so weights
>>
File: 1402247626522.png (64 KB, 288x210) Image search: [Google]
1402247626522.png
64 KB, 288x210
>>111470712
yes
>>
File: 2 years of practice.png (337 KB, 1000x389) Image search: [Google]
2 years of practice.png
337 KB, 1000x389
>>111464904
Depends on how they practice
>>
File: pic6.jpg (76 KB, 800x781) Image search: [Google]
pic6.jpg
76 KB, 800x781
Too bad I still need to grasp the basics of character creation to really improve.
I think I can copy well enough
>>
File: 0a9803.png (572 KB, 470x486) Image search: [Google]
0a9803.png
572 KB, 470x486
>you will never make a living drawing little girls
>>
>>111470810
nice
>>
File: nodev gets told.jpg (544 KB, 1740x1956) Image search: [Google]
nodev gets told.jpg
544 KB, 1740x1956
>>
>>111471026
...side job?
one more hobby?
I plan on doing that
>>
File: 1399624454656.png (330 KB, 472x599) Image search: [Google]
1399624454656.png
330 KB, 472x599
>>111471026
>>
>>111471026
If only you were born in japan.
>>
>>111471089
Many gook/chink take a hold in japon industry anon, and many illustrator even not japonese.
Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.