[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Disregarding Psycho Pass for a second, is there any anime in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7
Disregarding Psycho Pass for a second, is there any anime in which the Police is actually useful for anything?

Are the Japanese anime makers just not fond of the police?
>>
>>111012206
Maybe the anime Psycho Pass is based on?

Also, You're Under Arrest and I'm pretty sure Patlabor squads are part of the police.
>>
File: mitsubishi_driver.jpg (183 KB, 1000x1050) Image search: [Google]
mitsubishi_driver.jpg
183 KB, 1000x1050
>>111012326
>the anime Psycho Pass is based on?
>>
>>111012326
>Maybe the anime Psycho Pass is based on?
Equilibrium isn't an anime.

>>111012206
Isn't the same true for /co/? Sure as hell can't remember police ever be anything other than cannon fodder there either.
>>
>>111012532
>Sure as hell can't remember police ever be anything other than cannon fodder there either.
Unless its Lady Cop then you're correct.
>>111012206
Patlabor and Dominoion Tank Police are the first things that come to mind.
>>
>>111012494
>>111012532
Ok, the anime Pyscho Pass rips off? What do you want me to call it?
>>
>>111012703
>Ok, the anime Pyscho Pass rips off? What do you want me to call it?
Which anime is that, then?
>>
Gintama comes to mind.
>>
There are plenty of live action police shows and back in the 70/80s Police anime were a thing.
>>
>>111012703
I didn't know Psycho-Pass was ripping off something.
>>
>>111012764
> dem soul-searing gazes
I think I just turned into a little girl about to squee about her bishie crush. FUCK.
>>
>>111012532
Security officers have it worse though.
>always portrayed as bumbling overweight morons or assholes
>in real life they require an above average degree of physical fitness and are supposed to be the first to respond to any emergency
Mall cops/rent-a-cops are hired via commission, they don't usually belong to a company.
>>
>is there any anime in which the Police is actually useful for anything?
Arguably Paranoia Agent.
>>111012801
Pretty much this.
There's a truck load of old anime OVA's about cops doing cop things.
>>
>>111012724
>>111012827
Lol it's called stop being such newfags
>>
>>111012206
>Are the Japanese anime makers just not fond of the police?
They arent in style right now; and very few companies does Police drama without some type of sci-fi/mecha influence. I would love to see a hard boiled anime in this day and age.
>>
>>111012908
Actually i'm curious too, what anime is Pyscho-Pass is based off of?
>>
>>111012908
thx downloadan now

Seriously though, I hope the name you have in mind isn't GiTS because if it is, kill yourself. There's no excuse for being this stupid.
>>
>>111012693
First thing coming on mind is Ryoko's Case File.

There is also Mainichi ga Nichiyoubi, and Miami Guns.
>>
>>111012908
>calling some a newfag
>Lol
Back to /b/ with you.
>>
>>111012912
> Loli Noir
Would you watch it, /a/?
>>
How about Samurai Flamenco or the current terrorist thing? Aren't characters alone that are in the policeforce accountable?
>>
>>111012206
Ghost in the Shell?
>>
>>111013029
We already have Milky Holmes
>>
>>111013017
Would Gunsmith Cats count? I mean they arent cops, but bounty hunters are close enough right?
>>111013029
Cute girls doing serious criminal investigations; goign into slums and beating this shit out of people for information? Yes.
>>
>>111013029
>>111013157

Only if her boss is a curvaceous big sister type.

> hand in your gun and badge Detective Koyomi, you're a loose cannon!
> Mouuuu~ Neee-chaaaan!!!
>>
>>111012532

if anything Psycho Pass rips off Minority Report, not equilibrium

equilibrium is more 1984 esque with the whole "if you dont take your meds/dont follow social routine to a T the cops come to get your and re-educated [read: torture] your shit"

minority report is the one where some bullshit system predicts if youll be a criminal in the future and they just judge jury executioner your shit based on what it says
>>
>>111013157
Barely so, but Rally gets free pass for GLORIOUS CZECHNOLOGY.
>>
File: FLYHIGH.jpg (141 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
FLYHIGH.jpg
141 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>111012996
>>111013002
Yes, it's GITS: SAC specifically
>>
File: top+kek.jpg (99 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
top+kek.jpg
99 KB, 640x427
>>111013308
You can't be serious, kill yourself out of /a/.
>>
>>111013308
Hm,i guess i can see the connection . Thanks.
>>111013236
As longs as its still retains its seriousness with light humor now and then i would watch the fuck out of something like this.
>>
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Way better than Psycho Pass.
>>
>>111012206
You're Under Arrest
>>
>>111013385
It's not like they try to hide, where do you think the image at the end of each episode comes from?
>>
>>111013571
Oh boy, you're really funny. What did P-P specifically rip off from SAC? I don't remember that picture at all because I saw the series only once, 2 years ago when it was airing.
>>
>>111013655
I think the... huh. No. No idea either.
>>
>>111013538
W-why? I-I didn't do anything wrong!
>>
I'm expecting people that think they know about the Japanese justice system in this thread.
>>
>>111014460
Posting on /a/ makes you suspect, citizen.

How do you feel about loli?
>>
Patlabor
>>
>>111014460
>>111014658
I mean the anime.
>>
>>111012206
Monster
Lunge is extremly capable
>>
Speaking of Psycho Pass

How the hell they call extented edition if they cut out crucial parts of episodes?
>>
>>111014794
Now there's a show that needs some surgery.
>>
>>111014602
I don't know about that but I know that the Japanese police used to be very -or rather excessively- hard before the defeat of 1945. A period piece could be interesting.

>>111014820
>cut out crucial parts of episodes?
Like?
>>
>>111014883
Lack of Spooki Booki to fit two episodes into 44mintues.
>>
>>111014954
>lack of supuuk boog
But there was the first supuuk boog episode in Episode 2 and it was intact IIRC. Did they remove things from episode 3? haven't seen it yet.
>>
>>111015064
They cut out entire visit into Spooki Booki room to find out who was stealing avatars
>>
>>111015153
Oh. That's actually pretty shit.
>>
>>111015222
also death of Spooki Booki was cut out

I just wanted this to get extented https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oAr4t5kK40
>>
>>111013655
Hey I was trying to avoid saying "rip off" remember? It's more like a spiritual sequel thing

In fact, Wikipedia says

>Psycho-Pass originated from Production I.G.'s interest in making a successor to Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor;.

They share very similar settings and themes (exploring the ways technological advances could deeply affect society), the plot is structured in a similar way (the whole a "special squad solves seemingly unrelated crimes and slowly gets closer to the crazy mastermind behind it all while at the same time having to fight political interests and their players", the way each crime revolves around questionable aspects of the society they live in, the OSTs are practically the same, quoting philosophers out of the ass all the time
>>
>>111012206
Zankyou no Terror so far. Also, fuck off with your recommendation threads.
>>
File: Police Brutality.jpg (13 KB, 260x190) Image search: [Google]
Police Brutality.jpg
13 KB, 260x190
>>111012206
No, there never were and there will never be any anime that portray the Police in a positive light. Do you really want there to be? What the fuck? Are you a cop?

Police are horrible abusers of power who beat citizens daily and commit heinous acts of police brutality around the globe, they shoot people for holding Wii remotes (not even fucking joking: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2563445/Georgia-teen-holding-Nintendo-Wii-controller-shot-police-thought-holding-gun.html ) and are just in general a terrifying menace. When is the last time you remember being actually helped by an officer of the law? The list of police brutality crimes goes on and on.

It is up to us, as citizens who the police are supposed to serve and protect, to remind them of our power and role in their management. When we leave the police to manage themselves, who will watch over them? No one, why now it is safer to call your local drug dealer than the cops if an altercation happens, lest a loved one be beaten or killed by a foolish, bad policeman.

Please delete this and all similar threads trying to suggest that the police could ever be good. Police deserve no funding, no support, and to be tortured in the same jail cells that they toss "criminals" needlessly into where they are condemned to rot and die.
>>
>>111015332
I don't think GiTS invented the part about "special squad solves seemingly unrelated crimes and slowly gets closer to the crazy mastermind behind it all while at the same time having to fight political interests and their players". The " way each crime revolves around questionable aspects of the society they live in" isn't even worth considering, it couldn't be any other way, GiTS or not.

>OSTs are practically the same
No

>quoting philosophers out of the ass all the time
This happens only in Innocence. In Psycho-Pass it is especially to reinforce Shogo's pretentiousness and inetllectual high horse.

>(exploring the ways technological advances could deeply affect society)
Welcome to cyberpunk and sci-fi in general.
>>
>>111015562
>American bolis
There's a reason why a song called "fuck da police" originated in America.
>>
>>111015562
Sweet pasta bro
>>
>>111015562
What you say is true. However, an anime portraying the police in the first half of the twentieth century, even into the 1970s, would be worth watching. They weren't as feral as nowadays. Or perhaps it's only a personal romanticized view.
>>
>>111015694
I'm not saying GITS invented those things, but if we take into account Prod IG saying they wanted a successor to GITS, I think it's safe to assume from where those elements were taken from or why they were used.
>>
>>111016235
I agree about that but saying that P-P is based on GiTS or is ripping it off are both wrong to go about it. Inspired by would be more correct.
>>
>>111015562
>It is up to us, as citizens who the police are supposed to serve and protect

Technically, American police is not supposed to protect it's citizens.

>http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0

>Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone

>The decision, with an opinion by Justice Antonin Scalia and dissents from Justices John Paul Stevens and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, overturned a ruling by a federal appeals court in Colorado. The appeals court had permitted a lawsuit to proceed against a Colorado town, Castle Rock, for the failure of the police to respond to a woman's pleas for help after her estranged husband violated a protective order by kidnapping their three young daughters, whom he eventually killed.

>For hours on the night of June 22, 1999, Jessica Gonzales tried to get the Castle Rock police to find and arrest her estranged husband, Simon Gonzales, who was under a court order to stay 100 yards away from the house. He had taken the children, ages 7, 9 and 10, as they played outside, and he later called his wife to tell her that he had the girls at an amusement park in Denver.

>Ms. Gonzales conveyed the information to the police, but they failed to act before Mr. Gonzales arrived at the police station hours later, firing a gun, with the bodies of the girls in the back of his truck. The police killed him at the
>>
>>111015694
I agree with you.
Psycho-Pass can't hold a candle against GitS. GitS is way more serious than Psycho-Pass. Also, Psycho-Pass didn't exploit the sci-fi element. It just felt like another Urobuchi animated Greek tragedy, but this time using SF as a premise.
Urobuchi should have read William Gibson before writing Psycho-Pass. If he did so, it's impossible to grasp it.
Even the character design and the art direction aren't a match to what GitS achieved decades before Psycho-Pass. Maybe it's just a symptom of the moe syndrome, so prevalent in today's works. I have nothing against it, but seriously, even the holograms that the cops used in their robots? Aren't they supposed to instil fear/respect? The holograms looked like something you would use in a daycare.
>>
>>111016235
>if we take into account Prod IG saying they wanted a successor to GITS
If you didn't know, Production IG's anime adaptions are doing that for the original manga.
>>
>>111016574
And Americans still claim theirs is not a police state.
>>
>>111016654
>Aren't they supposed to instil fear/respect?
>instil fear
No

>The holograms looked like something you would use in a daycare.
Exactly

Think about it.
>>
>>111016861
I regard it as a stylistic choice more than an actual social critique. If not, why would the guns used by the cops should look so menacing? They should be water guns or balloon guns, or some bullshit.
The idea behind the Sybil System was good. The execution quite not. In the end, it just ended as something to reinforce Shogo's character, as an anti-hero.
>>
>>111016654
>Psycho-Pass can't hold a candle against GitS
I prefer it by far to SAC1 and 2. Oshii's first movie however is on another level.
It's true that SAC does more interesting things technology-wise, but it also does many things wrong and tells its story in a way that is way too complicated for its own good, and it doesn't speak emotionally to anyone.
The post smells of blind Urobuchi hate though so I'm not going to say anything more. This was my opinion.
>>
Samurai flamenco I guess
>>
>>111015956
Are you kidding? They were at their worst in the 60's and 70's. Corruption was rampant and they had zero regard for the constitution.
>>
>>111017189
I don't hate him. I love Fate/Zero and Madoka. However, as far as SF goes, SAC is a better work in my opinion. Also, it spoke emotionally to me. I didn't know before watching SAC2 that I could feel sad by the "death" of some machines, the Tachikomas.
And regarding the conflict, the Laughing Man is quite a better character than Shogo. He views the system as fucked up, as well as Shogo. However, he isn't glorified by the writer (like Urobuchi) just for fighting against a dystopic world.
>>
>>111017691
>Corruption was rampant and they had zero regard for the constitution.
Just like today.
>>
>>111017703
>However, he isn't glorified by the writer (like Urobuchi)
Shogo wasn't glorified. I have no idea how you got the impression that he was.
The final episode was pretty much spent on driving home how his ideas (aside from realizing that the system was faulty) were complete bullshit and his motivations for fighting the systems were just selfish and nothing else.
>>
>>111015956
>They weren't as feral as nowadays
For Japan it was the opposite (though I doubt murikan bolis was too different back then). The prewar Japanese police was absolutely brutal and cracked down without mercy on any trespassing of the law and simple shit like gambling could get you tortured in prison. They've been extremely soft compared to that since then.

>>111017691
Why would Japan care about your constitution?
>>
>>111017872
But at the end, when Akane confronts the Sybil System, she acknowledges, as well as everyone who watched the entire show, that the system is fucked up. She even says that someday, it will be replaced by something better. Just after foiling the plot of Shogo, the revolutionary who wanted something better than the Sybil System, and losing his nearest comrade in the process. She ends confused. Hence, she is acknowledging Shogo was right, but she is also accepting that his macabre plan doesn't fit her morality and her view of the world.
>>
>>111014883
>Japanese police used to be very -or rather excessively- hard before the defeat of 1945
>hard

Could you use any more non-indicative terminology?
>>
>>111018310
Acknowledging that he was right about the system being shit doesn't vindicate or glorify Shogo.
The important part is how to replace the system and with what. Shogo had an answer for the first, but had none for the second and he was only sure that the new system would be better in terms of freeing the human spirit and free will. Akane didn't believe that one or a couple individuals deciding on removing Sybil would lead to a better world, and she believed that Sybil would end one day when people (and not just one guy) would realize the problems of the system themselves.
>>
>>111016574
Care to finish that?
>>
>>111016574
Lawful stupid.
>>
>>111016804
Well, considering the police didn't get involved... Next time you want to take a potshot, make sure it at least applies to the scenario detailed.
>>
>>111012206
You're Under Arrest is the only Police anime I know.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.