[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is even the point of watching anime anymore when almost
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 308x164) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 308x164
What is even the point of watching anime anymore when almost every studio out there has pretty much stopped trying?

90% of adaptations these days are 12~13 episode affairs with absolutely zero conclusion. Anime these days feels like those shitty 80s and 90s OVAs that adapted only a micro slice of the source material and ended up being little more than nonsensical commercials.

That's what anime feels like now, nonsense.

Why are japs so eager to ruin the medium? Why don't they just adapt fewer works and make more episodes of those said adaptations?
>>
>>142095329
Fans are every bit as much to blame as the companies making the shit. Their business models depend on anime being treated as advertisements to sell merch. Blu-ray box sets, figures, special edition full color manga, body pillows, oppai mouse pads, all kinds of stupid shit like that. Studios produce anime to sell product. Fans buy the product, and they only respond to certain niches, so a lot of series are complete shots in the dark on behalf of the studio. They don't want to waste a lot of money on something that'll have a bad ROI, they're basically testing the waters with anything that isn't a sure bet.

Studios need to make money to stay open, and they can only stay open by appealing to the segments of the audience that spend.
>>
File: euro.jpg (25 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
euro.jpg
25 KB, 480x360
>>142095329
>complaining on an english imageboard
You are not the target audience, bakagaijin.
>>
>>142095456
I guess this is what happens when a large portion of the fanbase would rather be pandered to heavily rather than let studios tell good stories.

A way to remedy this would be for the anime industry to try and appeal to a wider and more international audience, so they can get those people who actually care about coherent storytelling, but these same fans who are destroying the medium by only buying the most pandering shit out there would be vehemently against any type of wider outreach by these studios.
>>
>>142095329
>Why are japs so eager to ruin the medium? Why don't they just adapt fewer works and make more episodes of those said adaptations?

Because history has taught them that it doesn't benefit the producer.

Back in the day when getting a whole year i.e. four cours was the norm, more of the TVA being produced was for general audiences. Hell , even MSG 0079 had to end early because it wasn't doing so hot rating while when it first aired.

Nowadays making an anime that long is a huge fucking risk if it doesn't sell well, just look at how many anime fail to even break even at the end of every season. That's why only anime that is guaranteed to make money like precure and pokemon still regularly get long adaptations. Plus with how much blurays cost in Japan you could probably buy a car with the price it would cost to get an entire 4cour anime.

That's how 1cour became the norm, much less risk from the production side. If it does well they can always adapt more in the following seasons, if it does poorly they can cut their losses and move onto whatever other LN or manga is the new hotness.

It really does suck on the consumer end because it means the viewers have to deal with shit like anime original endings. Even in a best case scenario where it gets a follow up season you still need to wait a season between before you can see it, and in the worst case if it does poorly it basically dooms all chance of it ever getting a sequel or reboot unless it has a HUGE following like what ufotable did with FSN.
>>
>>142095682
Good points, specially about the price. Those anime BDs cost so much that only the most dedicated fans buy them regularly.

I have to say, all of this paints a pretty grim picture for the future of anime. I've been into this stuff for a long time now and the last few years I've really started feeling burned out due to all the short and shitty adaptations.

I'm not even one of those picky watchers. I give lots of shows and genres a chance, but after a while you start to wonder what the hell is the point of watching these glorified commercials.
>>
final bump
>>
File: xf5501.jpg (36 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
xf5501.jpg
36 KB, 1280x720
Single cour shows are plenty long enough to tell any story. But obviously the story will have been written/ rewritten to work in that time frame.

I think single cour shows encourage experimentation and risk taking. Many of the more eccentric shows, more than a few now considered masterpieces, are single cour shows, such as FLCL, Madoka, Haibane and True Tears. More recent shows of the single cour variety, like Shin Sekai Yori, Sabagebu, Girls und Panzer, Denpa Una to Seishun Otoko, Gakkou Guarshi!, Kofuku Graffiti and Gatachaman etc represent some of the best anime in terms of writing, sophistication of themes, directorial execution and visuals.

From an anime only perspective 12-13 epsodes is the perfect way to experience the immersive brilliance of an excellent creative team.
>>
>>142095823
Start treating them as a bonus after reading the source material, that works for me.
>>
>>142096595
Why the fuck do BD cost so much anyway? They know sure as hell they're priced absurdly but they do it anyway.
>>
>>142096717
I think it's because they tried lowering the price,but that didn't increase profit. It's easier to focus on a small group that reliably buys your expensive BD's.
>>
>>142096717
Long story short - that's the profit-maximizing value, so capitalism does its work. They are not actually over-priced, they are priced to the market.

Long story - that was originally the price rental stores paid, and then people started buying the rental copies for home use instead, so that became the standard price, and trying to lower it to normal standards has been attempted but did not increase the number of sales anywhere near proportionally, because there simply aren't that many people interested in buying anime in the first place, and those who are interested enough to pay tend to be interested enough to pay a lot.
>>
>>142096453
This post only really works if you ignore the massive amounts of garbage single clue shows out there. Not every studio is skilled enough to pull of the pacing and writing skill necessary for good single clue shows. Not every source material is written in ways that translate well to single cour adaptations.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the format. Like you said there have been some really good 12-13 ep shows, but it's just not a good format to adapt to entire industry where a large portion of the products are works that have considerably more material to cover than what single cour shows are capable of covering.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.