[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Couldn't be a thread in the catalog. >[Mabors Sub] Giovanni's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: giovannis-island-poster.jpg (136 KB, 657x919) Image search: [Google]
giovannis-island-poster.jpg
136 KB, 657x919
Couldn't be a thread in the catalog.

>[Mabors Sub] Giovanni's Island [GB&BIG5&JP&EN](BDrip_1080_AVC_yuv420p10_FLAC)

What'd you guys think of the movie? I thought it was pretty good, and the ending made me cry like a bitch. Though it was somewhat of a drag to get through.
>>
Oh, this is finally out
>>
>>112332772
For a movie advertised as hand-drawnm it has lots of CG.
>>
>>112332772
I thought it was quite a strong film overall. What I really wanted though was to see more of the time when they were kids in school together living side by side. It was quite. I don't really agree it was a drag to get through but I have been watching a lot of film length stuff lately. The backgrounds were really nice and some of the character animation was great. The soundtrack is memorable and of a decent quality. The scene where they sing each others songs was a particular highlight in the film. I liked the way they used the songs to show the transition from being seperate to coming to accept each other. It was an interesting creative way to go about it. Some parts certainly had me a little choked up. It is an anime you could recommend to just about anyone, nothing otaku about it just a sad story.

>>112333087
I was wondering why they even had the boat scene at the beggining and the returning to the island after. Not really sure what it added to the film overall.
>>
My only problem with the movie was that the story welcomed a lot of cliches that you'd expect in a sob story revolving around war. Nonetheless, teared up like a bitch at the end during the flash forward.
>>
I was surprised that the film acknowledged the poor treatment of Koreans by the Japanese.
>>
The look of some of the backgrounds reminded me of Kemonozume a bit.
>>
Gonna watch it now
>>
Watching it tonight, for Russian. Not expecting too much but it looks pretty from what I've seen.
>>
>>112336436
Just barely. An offhand comment does not count. My suspicion is that the production staff was too afraid to push further on the issue lest they rile up Japan's right wing. It could had been an interesting film otherwise.

As it stands, the film displays the Soviet occupation as incredibly harsh and unjust while trying to insert a human element with Tanya. It completely ignored wartime atrocities committed by the Japanese against Koreans and Chinese. These atrocities included Unit 731 based in Manchukuo. Unit 731 subjected its victims to wholly unethical scientific experimentation that nearly always resulted in death. 30% of its victims were Soviets and the Soviet soldiers knew about it. The Soviet occupation was tame in comparison to events such as the Nanking Massacre.

Giovanni should be happy that the Russians still permitted him to live. The deaths of his family members was fully warranted given Japan's wartime behavior.

In summary, the film failed to properly frame the main conflict within its narrative. I would argue that it is deliberately designed to mislead the viewer into sympathizing with Japan. It is worthless propaganda that thematically only barely advances from the 1940s Momotarou series.
>>
Just finished it. I really enjoyed it; it's a beautiful film, and a sad one at that. If you watch it, make sure you're familiar with Kenji Miyazawa's Night on the Galactic Railroad, the novel is referenced throughout the movie. I'd recommend at least watching the 1985 anime adaption. That's what I did, and it definitely helped me better appreciate this film.

>>112344945
>It is worthless propaganda that thematically only barely advances from the 1940s Momotarou series.
Really? You can't be serious.

>It completely ignored wartime atrocities committed by the Japanese against Koreans and Chinese.
That wasn't the focus of the movie, and Tanya wasn't the only human element given to the Russians. The film was much more fair than you let on, to both sides.
>>
I really enjoyed it.
>>
>>112347386
You got to watch two great films in the pursuit of one.
>>
>>112350114
I know. Nothing to complain about there. I even bought the novel after finishing Night on the Galactic Railroad. I'm glad Giovanni's Island bought it to the front of my backlog. It had been sitting on my HDD for months.
>>
is it just me or do subtitles not work?
>>
File: production ig.jpg (106 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
production ig.jpg
106 KB, 600x337
Based I.G continuing to be the most revolutionary studio in the industry
>>
>>112350564
There are several different subs on the file. Make sure you're picking the right one.
>>
>>112350619
Next you'll tell me what the play button does.
>>
>>112350564
Work fine for me, make sure your toaster is plugged in.
>>
>>112344945
>thematically only barely advances from the 1940s Momotarou series
Once I read this I knew everything that came before was only bait.
>>
Who was that mitchan woman who just disappeared early on in the film, it's like they had something planned for her then just ended up changing their mind and disappeared her with an off screen departure.
>>
>>112351853
I'm pretty sure was just their maid. She left the island with other workers.
>>
>>112351899
She just seemed to be the only named character with speaking lines whose absence wouldn't have changed the film in any way. Maybe it's something that would be obvious to a Japanese.
>>
Really enjoyed the film. I think I will buy it when it gets an domestic release if the release is decent. It didn't seem to generate much hype here or in Japan so I feel somewhat more obligated seeing as it would be nice to see more ambitious film making like this coming out of the industry.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.