[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
saki watanabe: shinseki yori
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: sakiwatanabe.jpg (24 KB, 298x497) Image search: [Google]
sakiwatanabe.jpg
24 KB, 298x497
am i the only one here who thinks she was a dull, boring, miserable useless character who got people killed and spent almost the entire season being a mopey bore. i hated almost all of her screentime. anyone else with me here?
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 500x306) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 500x306
You're retarded and I don't feel like explaining to you why you are wrong in a 250characters text today because I'm on phone
>>
File: 1376506204145.png (264 KB, 612x638) Image search: [Google]
1376506204145.png
264 KB, 612x638
Nah, Saki is perfect
>>
>>141912382
man. i swear i am not baiting. i genuinely disliked her character. I am new to this board so am not a dedicated baiter or troll. i actually would like a discussion on this. I think there is very little that redeems her as a character. For the most part she plays a weak, average dull child who copes with things just as well as any other character does.

she cries in situations, experiences grief and eventually moves on like every other character (like satoru). there is nothing remotely interesting about her. at least satoru exhibits composure and intelligence when the situation is bleak. kirmomaru is a good strategist. shun was the ace etc.

saki is just a bitch who cries and cries and cries and cries. it's fucking infuriating. also, she lets innui and many others die because of her mistakes and stupidity. rarely ever uses her canti skillfully or powerfully to save lives or do something worthwile.

all her moments which help the win come from shun's help and guidance.

there is nothing that redeems this shitty dull character which for whatever the fuck reason has been chosen as the protagonist of what could have been an interesting story.
>>
>>141912688
Saki was certainly a crybaby at the beginning, but she developed quite a lot during the course of the show. I found that interesting. A bit muddy on the details since it's been a while, however.
>>
Yeah, she was extremely boring. The entire main cast of kids were bland characters, I honestly couldn't pick out a distinct character trait for most of them.

It was still an amazing series thanks to the world building and atmosphere, but they keep it from being a masterpiece.
>>
She is the observer of the group mostly but did her stuff too. I dont mind her or anyone else weakness or strength since I mostly watch it for the world they are in.
>>
>>141912688
Come on she doesn't even cry that much. Saki is not the special gifted character, it's just a girl in a dystopia who will be our view to assist the evenements and to feel the atmosphere and the world building of the show. what are you expecting from a character in this positiong of weakness? She did everything she could, the only moment when she fucked up was when she burned she superweapon and played the egoist card to not lose satoru, this could have lead to the end of their society. But it's understandable since she had lost everything, all her friends and family so he was the last thing she had.
Also Shu in her head is only herself trying to think as shu, it's like a tulpa thing
>>
what is this world that everyone here is masturbating about?

it was an exceptionally mediocre and poorly built world. how difficult is it to "build" something a world as simple as "village of people with telekinesis" surrounded by "rat colonies".

fuckign really? WOW AMAZING WORLDBUILDING GUIZZZ.

FUCKING BORING BULLSHIT.
MEDIOCRE PLOT.
AVERAGE WORLD.
3/10

so much potential.

overrated as fuck
>>
>>141912823
It's not really a series where characters have specific quirks they need to bring up every time they open their mouths.
>>
>>141913296
I bet you like One piece world building
>>
>>141913296
>all those caps
Calm your autism.
>>
>>141913434

don't watch a lot of anime.
man my only point is that the world isn't as complex for this anime to merit points when it comes to "building" it. it is a simple world. told simply. the story is just another run of the mill conflict with some mary sue characters thrown in.

it had potential. but it was squandered.
>>
>>141913624
>mary sue
Don't spout buzzwords when you don't know their meaning.
>>
>>141913296
>it was an exceptionally mediocre and poorly built world
>so much potential
I'm getting mixed messages
>>
>>141913732
whatever man. doesn't change my main point about how this anime is overrated af.
the main culprit being the really shit protagonist in saki. not to mention the average world and squandered potential.

>>141913534
can someone actually respond to the points that i made?

>>141913734
it is a world that turned out to be mediocre but could have been much better. a lot of potential both in characters, story, and the world was just thrown away to give way for a shitty conflict which i couldn't give a fuck about because of how dumb the canti users were in it.

i thought it'd explore themes of eugenics, war, power, conditioning a bit maturely. but NOPE. have this war. have this shitty chase. have this shitty conflict.

such an average run of the mill anime. i don't get why it is so liked.

someone please explain.
>>
>>141914177
>such an average run of the mill anime
Regardless what your opinion is about it is, that statement is simply not true. You might not like the execution or the concept of SSY, but to call it run of the mill is just ignorant. I urge you to find another show like it that season, that year, or even surrounding years.
>>
>>141914341
That nigga even wrote >dont watch a lot of anime. Good luck.
>>
>>141913207

thank you for a reasonable response to my complaints. i appreciate it anon.

you are right. saki is not gifted. that is also stressed in the show. just a girl pov in a dystopia. but her pov was really dull to me. i would much rather have enjoyed the entire story from satoru's eyes.after all he stuck with her most of the time. but no. we mostly get to stick with saki who keeps whining and crying most of the time.

it's just that I got bored of her moping the entire season tragedy after tragedy. and it would be okay if she ever let her emotion or sadness manifest into some concrete action or behavior or decision but we don't. she just exists and continues on her life like a dull boring girl.

she falls out with all her friends and she reacts to it by settling into a normal life as a member of the committee responsible for everything fucked up that happened to her. despite all the emotion she claims to feel, she clearly does not give 2 shits about her friends who would rather die in the wilderness, work alone or kill themselves than have anything to do with the committee.

she rarely uses her canti for anything useful unless satoru is there to guide her. she is underwhelming in every regard and seeing her haplessly bring people down around her pisses me the fuck off.

i guess the entire village occupants being so underwhelming in their usage of canti pissed me the fuck off.
>>
>>141914177
>FUCKING BORING BULLSHIT.
>MEDIOCRE PLOT.
>AVERAGE WORLD.

>points
>>
>>141914341
>>141914420

dear anons. i only seek to tell you that i feel that a world in which this power exists could be far more interesting than just a regular civil conflict. please try to understand me here.

we have godly powers of telekinesis. i do not blame the show for resorting to such a rural setting despite people with such powers having the ability to create technology far better than what was shown. i don't care. it is fine if they wanted villages to be rural for whatever the fuck reason.

my point is. the CONFLICT at least could be handled in a manner that cleverly uses or exploits this power or dystopian setting well enough.

but it fucking doesn't. it is just a civil conflict that can be (more or less similarly) shown in any other tv show or anime on normal people. have just one really evil and badass invulnerable dude rip through one side.

canti was underutilized as fuck. the conflict was nothing great.
but whatever. i am willing to settle for all of this if the character that we follow the entire time wasn't such a whiny miserably useless bore.

another anon mentioned that she's supposed to be ordinary. but she wasn't even that. she was just extraordinarily and infuriatingly dull and passive. never using her canti to save people, colleagues. a hapless girl flung from one travesty to another. seeing it from her pov was annoying af.

she does not show any discernable personality or quality. she gets praised in the show for being strong but she's no stronger than satoru or the badass general kiroumaru who suffered a lot worse
>>
>>141914177
>a shitty conflict which i couldn't give a fuck about because of how dumb the canti users were in it.
The kamisamas were conceited and didn't see the queerats as a proper threat. There are plenty of historic examples of similar things happening, I don't see why you find it so unbelievable. I can also not relate to not finding Squealers rise entertaining. The speculation on here was quite fun during that, since the people who had actually read the novel were scarce so it was a bit like watching an original.
>>
>>141914542
look at the following posts:

>>141914510
>>141914769
>>141912688
>>141912257

sorry i used caps. i was angry because i finished watching the show and was sort of pissed.
>>
>>141914832
You're on an anonymous imageboard. People will and should respond to only the content of the post that started their chain, in my case >>141913296

I was under the impression that was someone else entirely because, you know, anonymity.
>>
>>141914930
I don't know, I think his posting style is quite easy to distinguish.
>>
>>141914769
Dear faggot, you dont like saki, alright.
>rural setting despite ability
>evil badass invulnerable dude
>underutilized
Looks like you didnt even watch the show or gone full retard after hating the characters.
>>
>>141914992
While true, I don't like to assume. It usually causes more confusion than good.
>>
>>141914804
>The kamisamas were conceited and didn't see the queerats as a proper threat.
true. that is believable. hence the slaughter. not saying that it is not believable. just not interesting at all. and a lot of killed potential there. i admit though, i did like how they were gradually decimated through different tactics but it was still just one sided slaughter. would have been nice to see the kamisamas show some sort of resistance or ingenuity after recognizing them as a threat. they just fled from the "feind" which makes sense but is boring. the entire trip to tokyo was okayish. hated every second of saki desu.

>squealer's rise
meh. it was ok. it's not as if we're shown his rise in ranks through his political system. just time skips between which we learn of his rise through imprisonment of the monarch and then somehow rise to commander through his knowledge. it's not as if his rise was covered in the tv show. just implied. k. he's commander now. good for him.
>>
File: kiro death.gif (3 MB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
kiro death.gif
3 MB, 384x216
>>141915063
>would have been nice to see the kamisamas show some sort of resistance or ingenuity after recognizing them as a threat
Don't you understand? Them being killed by queerats is like you getting killed by regular ants, there was such a massive power gap. They felt so unthreatened before that they couldn't even handle organizing a proper resistance, just flail in confusion or flee.
>>
>>141914769
One thing you fail to understand about the cantus is that their people don't have our mentality. They have been conditioned to be passive sheep. I was also mad when shisei kaburagi got btfo but it's one of the point of the show, this power was so strong that ancien civilizations had to find a way to blok it. Now it can't be used on others people and the "evil guy" thoughts he was a monster all along because he was raised by squealer so he wasn't affected by the deathcounter
>>
>>141915011
>rural setting despite ability
is explained in the show. i know. but you'd think that eventually they'd decide to use their canti for more shit than move rocks around and stuff ffs. or be more ingenious with it. but no. ingenuity is not a forte here.why be intelligent or clever with a power you're putting in your anime when you can use some cheap explanation for your "rural setting" that shuns technology or any ingenuity.

>evil badass invulnerable dude
i was referring to this trope that im sure exists in tons of anime. the sneering powerful villain who rips through opponents and makes people's jaws drop. not saying that the child was exactly this here. but similar. an extremely powerful force that lays to waste all the cantiusers.

>canti underutilized
come on man. you have to agree with me on this. the fiend makes people pop. not a brilliant usage of canti. i was looking forward to clever ways they used their abilities or teamwork or anything. but no. it's just flinging shit around. the most powerful guy gets destroyed easily without any payoff. how hard is it for them to realize that they can circumvent their "attack inhibition" and "Death response" in innumerable ways. like setting traps and shit. the fiend is just a child after all.

i mostly hate saki desu but trying to justify my general disappointment with the show and lack of understanding of the hype about it.
>>
>>141915326
>how hard is it for them to realize that they can circumvent their "attack inhibition" and "Death response" in innumerable ways
It's hard because they're subject to dogma since a very young age, free thinkers with creative ideas are actively weeded out according to the design of their society.
>>
>>141915326
>rural setting
Dude they don't give a shit about anything they are good, they aren't going to crwmeate TV or playstation they don't give a shit about it and they don't know about it, those things are gone since a while, it's liek they are restarting everything from medieval era but this time with cantus.

>evil child
So what's your point? The child was squealer's joker, he wasn't affected by attack inibition, he beats them at their own game. It's pretty mich a message that intelligence > raw power

>cantus
They can't even trap the demon, shisei was one of the fews to be able to do such things because he was fucking strong but trying to do anything to an human literally fuck you up even if you do it indirectly
>>
>>141915194
>>141915207

yeah you both a're right. i sort of concede my point there. thank you for pointing it out.

it makes sense why they failed so badly at that uprising. i agree.
in fact i think i now sort of see why people like the anime. because the events that occur "make sense" in that world and are consistent with the world. that is NICE. so i agree with that too.

(idk. i was expecting the world to be more complex than just different societies with one being humanrats and the other being telekenesis using uncreative sheep)

with the first few episodes and the karma demon stuff i thought the show would have a lot more mysticism and interesting shit to it. but i guess it went for a more grounded look. which helped it remain so conistent. fair enough. kudos to it.

but i have deviated from my main point. i dislike saki because of all her traits highlighted before. that is my main point. saki is a miserably bore. the show might not be too bad.
>>
>>141912257
I liked her. She felt like a real young girl.
>>
>>141915510
>>141915442

read >>141915515. i am sort of conceding that the show is consistent and makes sense with the world that it is in. i guess that you are (more or less) right.

my general disappointment i suppose stems from my expectations of the show and saki's character.

1. i think i should have tempered my expectations on learning that the canti users were just docile sheep (which is literally what they're called at one point). but i was too hyped by the first few episodes where i saw a shit ton of surrealistic stuff like karma demons, hypnotism, brainwashing, mystic rituals, mystyerious cats etc. all of that crazy wondrous stuff gave way to a civil conflict with regular means of arrows, explosions, etc (the regular guerilla tactics). no inventive canti usage. but fair enough, it is consistent with the show.

2. saki's character was dull and bland man. for all the reasons i've given in this thread. i'd have loved to look at this show through satoru's eyes who despite being around her almost all the time has a less passive and more involved presence. saki weeps and lets tragedy befall her while satoru in some sense is more active.
>>
>>141915705
>1
I think most would agree that the setting could have been explored a lot more. But there's something to be said for giving you bits and pieces and letting you fantasize about what other things might be present in the world. For me, the setting carried the show, more so than the plot and certainly more so than the characters. But I didn't really feel disdain for any of the characters, Saki included. If I would pick one that I didn't like I would pick that Mamoru dork.
>>
Severely underrated anime.
>>
>>141915705
>1
I'm happy that the cantus wasn't abused, think about it. A power where you can do everything. It would have lead to a shonen fight with massive bullshit. It's better this way where the characters are dumbass because they have been raised to be sheeps and not wolfs.

>2
Saki is our self insert who allows us to see everything in a pure eye. We don't know anything and we discover them at the same time that her. Why can't you enjoy a normal MC with his weakness and his strength?
>>
Who the fuck names their kid 'youngest child'
What the fuck?
>>
>>141916164
kek
>>
>>141916164
Filthy bonobos
>>
File: xscreen-00573-1024x576.jpg (70 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
xscreen-00573-1024x576.jpg
70 KB, 1024x576
OP here.

Another thing that really got my dick hard at the start was the episode at shun's lakehouse. where he's devolving into a karma demon and the world around him is changing in a surreal way.

the first 1/3 of the show made me convinced that there'd be tons of ritualism, religion, eugenics, spiritualism, mysticism etc and all these themes would be explored. i was excited to see what their take on karma leakage was and how the subconscious molded the world around them. to see a great world explored.

but it turned out to be just a civil conflict (albeit with a fiend slaughtering everyone on one side).

but i agree. it did that nicely. the conflict. was consistent and neat. good job there.

but yeah. i guess it's not a bad show at all. i was just really angry and got hyper because i was ridiculously annoyed by saki and her hapless bullshit.
>>
>>141916602
>Another thing that really got my dick hard at the start was the episode at shun's lakehouse. where he's devolving into a karma demon and the world around him is changing in a surreal way.
That might be because Saki's ass was superb in this episode, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>141916648
Agree with that guy
>>
Squealer did nothing wrong.
>>
File: image.png (352 KB, 600x634) Image search: [Google]
image.png
352 KB, 600x634
Now read the manga op
>>
>>141916748
nah. i'll pass.
>>
>>141913366
It would honestly be better if they did, I get that they need to be more toned down to suit the tone and focus of the series but there's a limit to how boring characters should be. There has to be some incentive to care about what they say and do based on their personalities rather than just their relation to the plot.
>>
>>141916602
>>141919028
I think you really missed the ball on the story.
Its pure coming of age, no deviations. The canti is just a metaphor for sexuality and responsibility.
The whole thing about the super secret nemesis was just a stand in for the secret of society, that no one really knows what they are doing and are ultimately all pursuing their own goals.
This is why Saki kills Squealer in the end. Its the ultimate choice of the entire story, to let things live and grow as they are instead of fighting to change what you can't. As proof she's raising the killer cats with bratty at the end.
She was supposed to be the self-insert character and I think its sad that you couldn't understand that.
>>
If they had just killed her group when they had the chance so many lives would've been saved.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.