[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys I'm building a workstation comp for 3d application
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: badge-xeon-vert.png (424 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
badge-xeon-vert.png
424 KB, 1080x1080
Guys I'm building a workstation comp for 3d applications, do you guys think this is a good deal?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Intel-S2600CP-Dual-Socket-LGA-2011-Server-MBoard-2x-E5-2670-SR0KX-CPU-NO-MEMORY-/252343500989?hash=item3ac0d840bd:g:qvUAAOSwYlJW2fgq

It seems a lot cheaper than just buying a mobo for the dual xeons. I'm on a i5-2500k atm and its killing me with its slowness.
>>
>>518318
>intel
hahaha, fuck that expensive shit, just buy an fx8320 or fx8350 with a good water cooling

just checked the link
>server
>dual cpu
>matrox
>second hand
you must be fucking joking, actually
First, the cpu is used to do calculations on the meshes, that means, translation, rotation, scaling, modifiers, booleans, cutting, sculpting, everything like that is done on the cpu, depending on the software, some have multi-core cpu support, some don't.
For anything, except moving around millions of polys, super expensive modifiers and booleans and giant fluid simulations you don't need more than 1 8core cpu. So, unless you're gonna kitbash a 60+ million poly robot/spaceship/whatever, scult at 10 levels of subdiv or simulate the splitting of the red sea or the collective farts of the human race you don't need more than 1 8core amd fx8320/fx8350 with good water cooling.

Second, the gpu. Even if you have 10 million cpus under your belt, you won't be able to display that much information. If you don't have a modern gpu, those 10 million polys/smoke whatever, you're not gonna be able to display them even if you turn on all the magical pixies like vbos, backface culling, hardware instancing, etc. So, if you're on a budget, don't buy anything and just fuck off. You should've said what kind of modelling you want to do? Low-poly, faux-poly, game models, short animations, advertising, sculpting, retopology, vfx, exterior, interior, product visualization, environments, simulations, cad, model painting, texturing, what?
>>
>>518321
I have a GTX 970 and I'd be using it for simulations and rendering animations using Vray.
>>
File: 1458795819299.jpg (203 KB, 381x424) Image search: [Google]
1458795819299.jpg
203 KB, 381x424
>>518321
Also I have an i5-2500k and I get a score of about 450 in Cinebench R15 on Multi-Threaded tests...Why would I spend fucking $600 on a new mobo / cpu getting the FX-8350 to give me a yeild of +190 score on multi-threaded rendering. Thats actually retarded...
>>
>>518323
He didn't say he'll render on the cpu, you stupid faggot. Obviously, if you're planning on rendering on the cpu, you'd wanna buy as many cheap rendering stations as possible, but in this day and age of fast gpu rendering why would a person on a budget do this?
>>
File: 17809254930_5663445d60_o.png (131 KB, 796x1367) Image search: [Google]
17809254930_5663445d60_o.png
131 KB, 796x1367
>>518323
Also, why do intel shills always lie, why do they always lie, fuck off, shill.
>>
File: shills_will_always_lie.png (38 KB, 795x271) Image search: [Google]
shills_will_always_lie.png
38 KB, 795x271
>>518323
Why do shills always lie, why do they? Don't lie shills, please, I'm tired of your lying.
http://www.technikaffe.de/cpu_vergleich-intel_core_i5_2500k-5-vs-amd_fx_8320-225

Enjoy your overpriced piece of shit.
>muh hyperthreading
hahaha
>>
>>518325
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1029

What the hell is that picture even testing?
>>
>>518326
You stupid faggot I'm trying to see if the Xeon 2670 would be a good upgrade for the price...not the i5-2500k I already said I get a score of about 450 the FX-8320/50 wouldnt be a big upgrade for $600 when I could spend like $800 and get a dual Xeon set up.
>>
File: shit_consumer.jpg (171 KB, 1117x380) Image search: [Google]
shit_consumer.jpg
171 KB, 1117x380
>>518328
You can suck my balls actually, you stupid retard. Enjoy your overpriced piece of shit.
1 frame per year.
And no, it's not, don't buy intel, retard, it's that simple. Of course if you wanna get buttfucked buy intel, but seeing you are a poorfag, the worst thing a poorfag can do is buy intel, how stupid can you be?
>>
>>518330
Why are you still trying to compre the i5-2500k to the AMD CPU???? thats not what this entire conversation is about you fucking idiot. Do you like AMDs cock up your ass that much that your finding arguments where there arn't any just so daddy will say you did a good job?
>>
Still looking for some info on this
>>
>>518335
What do you the info for, there's always better deals with amd.
>>
>>518336
I'm talking about upgrading right now for a workstation PC. It seems like theres nothing that would yeild a better upgrade than the dual Xeons.
>>
>>518336
>there's always better deals with amd
>always better deals with amd
>always

I think that this sums up your opinion, you don't need to continue, you were obviusly decided.

If you love AMD so much, do something useful and post AMD alternative to 2xXeon2670, because that is what this discussion is about.
nobody here cares about comparison between i5 and FX
>>
MUH AMD
>>
>>518337
Sounds like an good offer. A machine which deserves the name "Workstation".
And for a machine this powerful, it consumes only a decent amount of power compared to these cheap AMD FX who waste alot.
This might be a nonproblem for you if you got cheap electricity, but for me it wouldn't work.
>>518321
You know nothing, but your assumptions are comedy gold.
CPU is atm the ONLY way to display that much information. 50 Billion polys will not render on a GPU, but they do on a CPU.
>>518324
>but in this day and age of fast gpu rendering
90% of High End renderings are still made with a CPU. GPU rendering is still a baby compared
to the 9000 pound Gorilla in the room.
Its fast, but can it do everything?

OP, you should check out Clarisse and/or Arnold renderer.
>>
After sleeping I've decided to go with the Xeons. It will allow me to implement things I was previously not able to do.
>>
>>518356
>You know nothing, but your assumptions are comedy gold. CPU is atm the ONLY way to display that much information. 50 Billion polys will not render on a GPU, but they do on a CPU.
>muh clarrise
haha, eat shit, faget
I don't know what kind of shenanigans clarisse uses, it's probably something like euclideon, some kind of point cloud ray tracing bullshit, I don't care, honestly, it's awesome, but unfortunately, fagget, it's a rendering and compositing software, not a modelling/sculpting, etc one, no other software can preview so many polys(or might not come even close) without a good gpu. Even if that kind of algorhitms are the future of 3d viewports, that doesn't mean they won't be accelerated better by the gpu, how do you know that? You don't, cause you are a retard without any kind of knowledge in 3d graphics.

>90% of High End renderings are still made with a CPU
O yeah, I forgot the guy with 300 dollaroos budget used shitstained motherboard without ram can afford a render farm the size of holywood productions, of course.
You should kill yourself, fag, gpu is the best solution for amateurs and small devs right now. Given that there are a lot of gpu renderers with success in the industry right now, I'd say it can do enough.

>>518349
The moment Intel/Nvidia start putting out cheaper, better price/performance ratio products, I'd switch to them, I'm switching from Nvidia to AMD soon enough, tired of their gimping of their own cards.

>>518343
I don't, but amd is cheaper, therefore used opteron motherboards with dual 8core cpus should also be cheaper than what op posted, isn't there logic in what I'm saying?
>>
>>518390
>I'll be using this machine for simulations and rendering, which is almost 100% CPU based.

>I don't have a $300 budget. I'll be spending about $1000, also from my experience GPU rendering at least in V-ray is very prone to breaking and not giving me results I want. Less accurate too.

>"The moment Intel/Nvidia start putting out cheaper, better price/performance ratio products"
>"The moment AMD starts putting out better performing CPUs / GPUs that can compete in terms of workstation solutions to Nvidia / Intel"

Fixed^

> opteron motherboards with dual 8core cpus
Find me a better price than the dual Xeons listed. I dare you.
>>
>>518321
>hahaha, fuck that expensive shit, just buy an fx8320 or fx8350 with a good water cooling

that's like saying buying a riced out civic is as good as buying an actually good car
>>
File: laughingskeleton.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
laughingskeleton.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>518390
>haha, eat shit, faget
>I don't know what kind of shenanigans clarisse uses, it's probably something like euclideon, some kind of point cloud ray tracing bullshit, I don't care, honestly, it's awesome, but unfortunately, fagget, it's a rendering and compositing software, not a modelling/sculpting, etc one, no other software can preview so many polys(or might not come even close) without a good gpu. Even if that kind of algorhitms are the future of 3d viewports, that doesn't mean they won't be accelerated better by the gpu, how do you know that? You don't, cause you are a retard without any kind of knowledge in 3d graphics.
>O yeah, I forgot the guy with 300 dollaroos budget used shitstained motherboard without ram can afford a render farm the size of holywood productions, of course.
>You should kill yourself, fag, gpu is the best solution for amateurs and small devs right now. Given that there are a lot of gpu renderers with success in the industry right now, I'd say it can do enough.

take your thumb our of your mouth speak like a grown-ass adult. this isn't a childrens' board
>>
>>518318
Hey OP, please ignore the AMD shitposter. I just posted in someone else's 2670 thread, but I recently bought a dual 2670 supermicro server with 64gb used, and set it up as my 3dsmax rendering box. It's really fucking awesome. My workstation is an aging 980x, and the dual box is almost 4 times faster. Paid around 900usd.
>>
>>518318
I have a based first gen i7-950 OC'd to 3.75 Ghz Boooyyyy Ayyyyyy
>>
>>518322
GTX 970 works quite nice for the money with Vray RT (active shade is pretty useful). You can also buy two of them, just makes sure you have a powerful PSU (aim for 750-800 watts).

>>518324
This actually depends on which renderer you use. If you use Vray, you pay around 250 euro/dollar per extra render node. This means that using a large number of cheaper pc's is not smart. Better to get as many cores/threads for the money you can buy while still buying something recent. Check benchmarks before you buy and use common sense.

Also keep in mind that if you overclock the CPU too much without being skilled at this you could end up with a pretty unstable system. It is absolute nightmare to have for a workstation. My advice is to just not overclock your workstation too much, after all if you have a new CPU the added benefit won't be noticeable unless you do hardcore simulations or rendering (but for that you should have a render node).
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.