[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone know of a good program for sketching that has an infinite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_mnd9ygyiDW1rl7s4eo1_1280.jpg (663 KB, 677x960) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mnd9ygyiDW1rl7s4eo1_1280.jpg
663 KB, 677x960
Anyone know of a good program for sketching that has an infinite canvas or something similar? SAI and PS both have limited canvases, so it's not that great for sketching out a ton of shit.

I'm guessing there are programs out there that do this kind of thing, anyone know?
>>
Check out Mischief, Anon.
https://www.madewithmischief.com/
There is a free lite version, but the full version cost only 25 bucks.
>>
Why not just create an action in photoshop to create a new background layer, lock it, then a new blank layer to draw on, and group them, then hotkey it.
>>
>>526316
>>526324

What a shill vibe those posts gave.
>>
>>526327
kek so true, 1hr reply on a so-very-nearly-dead reply is sus.

But I'm OP and I'm still looking for any alternatives.

>>526325
I want to be able to draw stuff next to each other without having to fuck around desu. I was going to switch to AI anyway since PS is not that good for what I want maybe
>>
I feel like sketchbook has infinite area but I'm not sure. Give it a look Op
>>
>>526348
Maybe I'm retarded but I don't even see a way to change canvas size, and by default it's not even that big?
>>
>>526327
implying people pay for software
>>
Ctrl Alt C bitch
>>
>>526354
rip ram but still not infinite
>>
mypaint is the only program i know of that has an infinite canvas. apparently, a lot of people say that it's really good at imitating traditional media.
>>
How exactly does an infinite canvas work anyway? How would you program that for a per-pixel image editor? The coordinates have to be known to do any manipulation of the pixels.
>>
>>526363
probably something along the lines of split the canvas into chunks of pixel groups like say 256x256 pixels 'mega pixels' and keep their location indexed.
That way you could draw a stickman at one place, move a hundred kilometers away on the canvas and draw another stickman and only pay for the chunks of 'mega pixels' that contain any information.
>>
>>526376
But that's not infinite. You'd be able to zoom out of it with any functional zoom.
>>
>>526316

Black Ink has a big canvas setting. It's Gpu powered so ram is not the limiting factor.
>>
>>526363
Depends on the program, but a quadtree is a decent way to do it since all you need to keep track of of quadrants that have drawings in them.
>>
File: 110% shill.png (418 KB, 1664x1100) Image search: [Google]
110% shill.png
418 KB, 1664x1100
>>526344
The pin system is pretty handy.
There still isn't a hotkey to reset canvas rotation. I requested this feature like a year ago.
>>
it isn't related to what you're asking for but clip studio (used to be called manga studio in the west) is a really great program for digital drawing and painting, especially if you do anything comic related. sai is pretty decent too (especially compared to photoshop) but clip studio has much better tools. sorry for the shill it's just one of those things where i'd love to see it get more exposure
>>
>>526363
it wouldn't be as simple as a traditional co-ordinate system, no, but you can definitely do it and there are multiple ways one could. to start with you would be handling chunks of pixel data rather than one huge rectangle of pixel data. defining blocks of canvas around modified/drawn pixels could work, or there may be a way to only have to store pixels that have actually been changed. i'd imagine that would make filters like blurring complicated, though. co-ordinates are kind of irrelevant as long as you either use very large variable sizes for grid co-ordinates (in positive and negative x,y like in a game editor), or you write chunks of information in some sort of tree rather than relying on co-ordinates to store data and your program translates the chunks into world co-ordinates. there are a lot of ways you can do it and where programmers tend to make the big bucks is when they can figure out the most efficient way to do so
>>
>>526434
ah i missed your post. i'll have to lookup quadtrees and experiment with them cause it sounds like an interesting subject. i'm amateur-hour tier so data structures aren't my strength lol
>>
>>526327
people are just enthusiastic for underdog graphics software. it's really easy to get the impression photoshop and other adobe stuff is the only real game in town and that everybody is using it because of how huge of a name software like that is and how much people ~~in the industry~~ namedrop it. you have to be evangelical about the smaller software products to get people to try them. like, photoshop is great for a certain set of tasks, but other software is often better at many tasks people assume you're supposed to use photoshop for. too many people looking to get into digital drawing and painting fall for the photoshop meme out of ignorance. evangelism for lesser-known software is necessary, especially when they're better programs for a good number of peoples' needs
>>
just tried out mischief and i was wondering when somebody was going to make a vector-based drawing program that mimicked raster-based drawing. interesting! drawing them zooming in and drawing on a lower zoom level then zooming back out is a bit of a mindfuck
>>
>>526507
on second look, it looks like the only thing it's good for is having an infinite canvas. i would at least expect some decent textured brushes for something you're supposed to pay for. seems okay for planning and thumbnailing, at least
>>
>>526510
Maybe it does in paid version. Free version seems ok for sketching.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.